Some tattoo Q's.

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
edited August 2015 in Q&A
I still haven't worked out how Dar's going to let somebody put their hands all over his body to ink tattoos, but in the meantime I have some practical questions about tattoos if anyone would care to oblige me.

1. Is TattooMaster, like most other trans trade skills, only active while the Tattoos trade skill is active? How does a full set of 759 weight tattoos compare to, say, splendor robes?

2. How exactly do "favored" tattoos look in someone's description? Where do they appear relative to oils or divine favors?

3. What kind of clothing covers face tattoos? Do gloves cover fingers, hands and wrists? Do shoes cover toes, feet, and ankles?

4. Is this an okay loadout for someone who is almost certainly never going to be a major contender in the PK scene?

Damage Absorption: 100 Poison (gut), 100 Magical (back), 100 Fire (back) [n.b. chosen to shore up my low numbers from bodyscan resistances; fire because Gaudiguch?]
Damage Buff: 100 Blunt (chest), 100 Divinus (chest) 
Charisma: 100 Charity (arms, hands, feet), 100 Empower (waist, ankles, wrists, neck)
Elemental: 50 (legs)
Interference: 9 (fingers, toes, face)

5. Do tattoos have to be removed entirely to change the power? For instance, if Hallimonks don't deal blunt damage like Tahtetso and I want to change my buff?

That's all for now, but I'm sure there's more to come. Thanks in advance!

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    1) Tattoo armour ends up being something like 84/84, splendours(good ones) usually hover around 70/70

No idea on 2 or 3

4) Looks good to me, I might change magical damage to something else, not a lot deals magical damage now a days and Lobo's don't have that inherent weakness anymore, but it's not a big deal overall.

I don't know that 9 interference is worth it, maybe stick that in the magical damage slot to get the full effect.

5) Yes, have to remove and replace the tattoo entirely to change the effect

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Yes, tattoomaster is only active if you have the tradeskill active. Kephera natural armour as a monk is also dependant on that. If you don't have tattooarmour active, it'll only be at normal greatrobes level.

Favoured tattoos appear last in the look desc, not sure if it comes before or after divine favours, but definitely after clothing and stuff.

• 2. How exactly do "favored" tattoos look in someone's description? Where do they appear relative to oils or divine favors? 

The order in descriptions is: description, oil, clothing, tattoo, divine favor. So the tattoo will appear after your clothing list but before your divine favor. The favored tattoo appears as "Tattooed on his/her <body part> is an illustration of a <tattoo appearance>; for example, "Tattooed on her arms is an illustration of silver mist-wreathed stars of glacial blue." The body part must be free of clothing for the tattoo to be seen.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2015
    Synkarin said:
    I don't know that 9 interference is worth it, maybe stick that in the magical damage slot to get the full effect.
    Yeah most of the powers seemed pretty useless at that level but I wanted to fill out the remaining weight.
    Lerad said:
    Yikes, so there's no hiding face tattoos except with a mask or veil (which makes perfect sense). Better get something sensible instead of that Mike Tyson mark I had in mind.

Chakraja said:

The order in descriptions is: description, oil, clothing, tattoo, divine favor. So the tattoo will appear after your clothing list but before your divine favor. The favored tattoo appears as "Tattooed on his/her <body part> is an illustration of a <tattoo appearance>; for example, "Tattooed on her arms is an illustration of silver mist-wreathed stars of glacial blue." The body part must be free of clothing for the tattoo to be seen.
    Hm, that 'illustration of' bit throws things off for me. Thanks everyone!
    I used to make cakes.

Hot damn, quote success!
    I used to make cakes.

"Note that there is no clothing that uses the fingers and wrist bodyparts"

Does this mean wrist and finger tats will always be visible?
    I used to make cakes.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    They will be visible if they look specifically at your tattoos (I'm not logged in, don't remember the command). The only tattoo that will show up in your LOOK description is the favoured one.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Oh, and I play this song every time I tattoo someone.  Because it makes me chuckle.  Obligatory NSFW warning, as well as just being generally offensive if you're easily offended.

edited August 2015
    Thanks everyone so far. Got a few more if you don't mind. 

7. How long does inking take? Is it a number-of-seconds-per-weight kind of thing? 

8. Does anybody have the line of what it looks like in-game to apply/receive a tattoo? 

9. What actions interrupt the process?
    I used to make cakes.

10. What commodity do you use for white? 
    I used to make cakes.

• From HELP TRADEMASTER:

- For designs utilising white tinting, this is created by including two
    goldtint and one faeleaf per weight in the commodity cost. Thus a white
    poppy face tattoo with a weight of 5 would have a minimum commodity cost
    of 10 goldtint and 5 faeleaf.

Guh, thanks and sorry. That's not exactly intuitive but I ought to have known where to find the answer.
    I used to make cakes.

11. What should I design for Dar's fingers, toes, wrists, ankles, and feet? None of the public designs really struck me. :-/
    I used to make cakes.

• I never got down to designing my own private tattoos, but I would have just made twirly lines. 

• Well, for toes and feet, how about something themed on the vassal packs? Like a number of tribal loboshigaru on the toes showing obesience toward the foot proper, where there's a complimentary tattoo of a loboshigaru pack leader. Or something.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • edited August 2015
    I know that @Saroha has submitted "ascetic loboshigaru glyphs" as a public back tattoo. If you're interested, you could maybe commission her to make a set, or ask if you could make set tattoos based off it.

[spoiler]You carefully study a skindesign. 
    Item: Tattoo Type: Back Org: Public Designer: Saroha 
    Commodities: goldtint 20 faeleaf 6 bluetint 20 redtint 15 yellowtint 15 greentint 20 purpletint 10 coal 10 
    Mortal Reviews: Allowed 
    Tattoo Weight: 100 
    Appearance: ascetic loboshigaru glyphs 
    Examined: Austere in design yet vibrant in hue, this striking tattoo illustrates an array of five circular loboshigaru hieroglyphs inked in stark, sweeping strokes across the entire expanse of the back. Centred upon the right shoulder blade, the loboshigaru character for "Spirit" is inscribed in feathery flourishes of pure, immaculate white, while the glyph of "Clarity" is imprinted with sharp, jagged slashes of deep sea-blue ink upon the left shoulder blade. Farther down the back, the loboshigaru character for "Form" crouches over the left hip in craggy, angular orange streaks. Delicately etched just above the right hip, spidery emerald-green scrollwork weaves together into a cobweb-fine hieroglyph of "Heart." Integrating the four characters into an eloquent whole, the loboshigaru hieroglyph for "Enlightenment" spans the centre of the back, curving upward to skim the shoulder blades and rounding downward toward the base of the spine. Bold yet subtle, ascetic yet artistic, the intense black brushstrokes of the central hieroglyph coalesce and flow rhythmically together into a symmetrical, balanced symbol, each stroke outlined in brilliant gold to evoke illumination and understanding.
    [/spoiler]

Spoiler tags are hard.
  • edited August 2015
    a full 100 ka weigh tat takes roughly 10 minutes to do. a full body set takes one hour of pure tattooing. not including the time spent fiddling with inks. 

yes, you have to remove tattoos to change powers
    is dead like the dodo