Things that are impeding my ability to get into this.

I have some issues that I am having trouble figuring out, and the forums is an easier way for me to ask for help (especially since I can easily look back at the answers).  Also the game's wiki is atrocious, the last MUD I was really into had a beautiful player run wiki that has information on pretty much everything, so the fact that people cannot edit the wiki to help new players is just.. awful.  I understand not wanting people to vandalize it, but that's what the revert option is for.  Also player pages are sort of a fun way to list all of your accomplishments in the game world, and such (though I guess if enough people were interested in a player run wiki I could consider adding one to my hosting plan, it would just be a $10 yearly domain fee as I am already paying for the rest - unlimited bandwidth and storage).

I tend to get into scripting quite heavily, and I rather like the HTML5 client - it seems fairly capable, but there aren't very many examples of scripts to go off of and that is the best way for me to teach myself.  I looked at mudlet and feel sort of 'meh' about it, though if it comes down to that being my only real option I suppose I would have to switch.  So basically, I'm asking for a handful of script examples that use various parts of the HTML5 client so I can see how they work in a real setting.  I'm not worried about aliases/triggers as I'm pretty well versed in regex and those were extremely easy to figure out.  Also, is there a way to create new tabs for output that I choose?

The next big thing that bothers me, and this is really stupid, is that everything has the Type MORE to keep reading.  Is there any way to disable this and have it give the entire text?  I'm FINE with scrolling up to read it all, but the line breaks really messes with me.  I could obviously just set a trigger to auto-type more, but I'd much rather it let me either choose how much to show at once or choose to show all of it.  Also, are there any other game options?  As an example, a really nice feature of my ex-MUD was that you could shorten room descriptions in the options.

Lore.  This is where the wiki would have been extremely helpful.  My character is an illithiod shadowdancer.  I can't really find any information on illithiod customs, their lifecycles, or even extremely basic things like their intelligence levels or whether or not they can actually grow hair.  I'm having similar issues with my guild, but the biggest issue that I have run into is that I can not figure out for the life of me what sort of weapon I'm supposed to use.  I've read the help files for my guild and the equipment file goes over EVERYTHING EXCEPT WEAPONS.  >:(

I probably have other questions, and will post them here if they come up.

Comments

• If I remember right an illithoid would need to make bebehs with a human in order for those little illithoids to have hair.

I AM THE BEST ANSWERER OF QUESTIONS!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You can change your pagelength with CONFIG PAGELENGTH in game. It does have an eventual line limit of 250 lines, but that is significantly larger than the default.

Shadowdancers do not use weapons per se, they summon a talisman through their Nature Talisman ability. 

The wiki is complicated territory. Basically, it's a herculean task to update it, the software its running on is several versions behind the latest and lacks useful plugins that the other IRE games have to expedite overhauling. There is an unofficial wiki that has mostly up to date skill information, but most of its content is mechanical/practical, with few 'lore' sections.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I've never bothered with the html client, I prefer standalone which has better support and it's own forums dedicated to it.

Check out all of the stuff under CONFIG in game. Likely most of what you want is in there.

If you've got questions moving to mudlet and what not, hit me up via messages. I'm no guru by any means, but I'm working on a new ui to release to the Lusternian public that will hopefully address some issues my first one had.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    As for lore (Illithoid or otherwise), have you checked out your city's library? Some of the best lore information is published there. Or ask other Illithoids, especially older players.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Thanks, these answers have all been extremely helpful.  CONFIG has so many options!  I'll try to find the library later and poke through it.

As far as talismans, does that mean I would just attack using a different command through it?  Or would ATTACK make it attack?  This is all so very confusing :/

I had another question but it has slipped my mind.  Uh.  Something something something.  >.>  I imagine as soon as I post this I'll remember.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited July 2015
    Check out AB NATURE TALISMAN, it has all of the relevant details! For the most part,  general questions about your own skills can be resolved by reading the ABility help file for that skill. 

Edit: Also, try using the KILL command. 
  • As a note about my little wiki - quite a lot of ABs and HELP files have been updated recently with the Overhaul having taken place. I will be going through and updating everything once more information settles down, but it should still be fairly accurate.

If you're looking for something in particular for the wiki, let me know. It's a lot of info to try and upkeep, but I try to do the best I could to provide this info to the populace.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    You use a talisman, and eventually that turns into an athame once you pick up Night, and eventually you get nightkiss/nightgaze. NATURE CURSE ENYALIDA is the syntax. Each  AB file spells out the syntax for you.

IREs tend to have a lot of lore in the game that you can't find out about through out of game means. The Lusternian IG library is extraordinarily robust. You can search by subject and title for illithoid stuff (and any other topic)

disclaimer: I'm not responsible for what happens to you if you actually attack Enyalida. 
  • I'm an Illithoid! I'm an old Illithoid even. I'm pretty sure I still have scrolls from way back when which I used to hand out to Illithoid newblets to induct them into the cult of the Hidden Empress
  • Orvilek said:
    Thanks, these answers have all been extremely helpful.  CONFIG has so many options!  I'll try to find the library later and poke through it.

As far as talismans, does that mean I would just attack using a different command through it?  Or would ATTACK make it attack?  This is all so very confusing :/

I had another question but it has slipped my mind.  Uh.  Something something something.  >.>  I imagine as soon as I post this I'll remember.
    You can just attack <target> for the most part(if you aren't holding your talisman/athame it will punch instead).
    -Woods with their Barktouch were the only ones that couldn't do that, and that got fixed recently.
    DOn't think Nightkiss/gaze will do that though, but then you can just make an alias if you want.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• MoiMoi
    edited August 2015
    I usually use CONFIG PAGELENGTH 250, which is enough to display pretty much any file without a MORE prompt. BRIEF and VERBOSE toggle display of room descriptions on and off. There's also CONFIG in general, which displays the configuration options. HELP CONFIG explains what each option does.

Physically, illithoid look like a cross between a goa'uld from Stargate and a mind flayer from Dungeons and Dragons. Thin bodies, pallid grey-to-purple skin, large heads, pointed teeth and an opening in their chests where a snakelike creature known as an "Inner Worm" pokes its head out. No face tentacles. Hair is possible, but not in purebred illithoids, only ones who have partial human ancestry. Most illithoids have large, bald, veiny heads.

Illithoid are descended from the Soulless Goddess Illith, who was a giant psychic worm monster that was imprisoned under the earth by the Kephera. The first dozen generations of the Illithoid were imprisoned alongside the remains of Illith in what is known as the Great Illithoid Prison in the Undervault. Illithoid are naturally psychic, and suited toward living in tainted, toxic caverns. They have an affinity toward mind control psionics, breeding animals and the use of poisons. Most of the prison and all known illithoid colonies have cancerous-looking meat as part of the architecture, softening the hard rock of the caves they live in. This is probably meat taken from Illith's remains and reanimated, but nobody is quite sure there.

Culturally, the illithoid have a convict mentality. Their people started out in a giant prison, and spiritually they've never left. The Kephera want them all dead, and most people on the surface agree. Illithoid are typically very paranoia, secretive, possessive and suspicious. They think (justifiably) that everyone is out to get them, and that it's up to the Illithoid as a race to fight for their freedom to continue existing in a deeply hostile world.

There are three major Illithoid settlements: the Prison itself, run by High Ritualist Cthoglogg (who is a combination king/pope - he has a direct line of communication with Illith), the mining village of Ixthiaxa (lead by Overmind Tkegthul, but owned by one of the surface kingdoms at any given time) and the Cyaethl Colony, which is a research outpost for the Illithoid Prisoners - they're trying to domesticate a highly aggressive crustacean from the Undervault known as a Cave Fisher. You could also be from Magnagora or Glomdoring, both of which have large Illithoid populations.