Should Arts have an AGREE command for individuals being "recorded"?

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Enyalida said:
    I agree with the channeled action thing!

Personally, I wish paintings and scuptures could be made of things that weren't already extant in the game. 
    You can, people make custom paintings all the time with a manse room.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm aware. That's been majorly frowned upon by admins in the past (iirc) and is a silly workaround.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It's been frowned upon when used to make paintings of Divine, but to my knowledge they haven't been upset if you use it to be creative.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I wasn't aware it was frowned upon. Hallifax has had numerous art auctions where that's...really the only way to participate :/
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited January 2013
    Why not a 'freeform' skill in arts that lets you just... paint then? PAINT <foo>. It's already something that happens, why not just introduce it as a legit thing? Same with sculptures/figurines.
    Envoy it!
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I have a feeling the figurine bit would get a bit out of hand. The painting though, I like that.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Yeah, I agree with that (and that's a point I'd planned on making on any Envoy report if it showed up), but since you can already make custom paintings of anything... making it a bit smoother would be pretty nice.
  • It wouldn't be bad to have the ability to paint anything, though there will be a lot of "art" out there that will have spelling and grammar errors. I think this might be why the admins hate manse paintings... or at least that's why I'd hate them if I were admin. If spelling and grammar errors is a problem they'd almost have to have a cartel for artists to submit paintings.

I can see why people hate to be painted. It's not so much of a Paparazzi problem because you aren't making paintings of people in specific poses, but painting them how they are described. In real life it's general practice for artists to have their models sign a release form for the artist to use the image of their model. This doesn't always happen (and reasons why they don't always get these) , but it saves the artist from getting sued by the person they are depicting. It is rude for people to paint someone without first asking. It would be nice to have the agree command added to this, but it is something that can be dealt with ICly. If one on one isn't enough maybe try to have it added to city laws as a minor offence or create your own governing body to patrol things like this. I do like Iytha's idea of making it take longer to do art so that people can move if they don't want to be painted. 
    I'd just CROW EYEPECK the person.  Can't finish your painting if you're blind!

Or SHADOWDANCE SCOURGE if I happen to be Night.
  • The delay sounds fine.

The agree command sounds awkward and awful. Are we going to add in an agree command for having your corpse's head sawed off next? Some stuff in-game is just clearly designed to allow for obtrusive and offensive behaviour. No use getting too worked up over it.
    Xenthos said:
    I'd just CROW EYEPECK the person.  Can't finish your painting if you're blind!

Or SHADOWDANCE SCOURGE if I happen to be Night.
    You forgot the part about the Aetherplex being peaced.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Enyalida said:
    I'm aware. That's been majorly frowned upon by admins in the past (iirc) and is a silly workaround.
    I have never, ever heard of this. Pesukaru had a room in his manse devoted entirely to making paintings, first for Lyreth, then for Mysrai. Neither one ever told me they didn't like them, and they often made said paintings permanent and mounted them in Their temples.
  • I think Eventru's mentioned in an Ideas thread before that he thought using manses to make custom paintings was a bit iffy, but as far as I know there's no official policy about it. And since nobody seems to seriously mind enough to actually do anything about it...
  • I never heard that custom-painting-landscapes were frowned upon. I agree that there should be a skill that lets you simply freeform it on a canvas though.
  • So I told the person something along the lines of 'I don't recall giving you permission to profit from my image', and the response I got was basicly 'lol I'm a rogue and i'm in a peaced area, cant touch me neener neener'. Sooooo... yeah
  • I have made manse paintings for divine, depicting the divine, and they seemed quite pleased by them. One is hanging in Mysrai's godrealm right now, the one with the wedding :)

As for ZOMG I don't want to be painted/sculpted/etc. I feel like it's a silly thing to get upset over. I understand that a lot of people feel differently about this than I do, but what honestly is the harm here? If you are concerned that someone will catch you with an ugly description or naked then it is your responsibility to brush your hair and put on pants before you go running around the basin.

The idea of royalties is also completely ludicrous. You aren't -that- hawt in your textliness :P

All that being said, I won't be surprised when next year a new artifact comes out that you can toggle being able to be used in arts activities or not, because obviously a bunch of people want to buy it, even though it's kind of pointless and immersion breaking.

Kind of like the whole "don't want people to see my honors!" thing. It's a magical world, we talk to each other using telepathy. It's not unreasonable that you can glean information on someone you've never met by concentrating on the concept of their divine spark. It's whatevs, though, I'm not the decider nor would I want to be :D
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think it's more realistic that you can see someone start to paint or sculpt you, frown at them and walk away, leaving them with an unfinished work, instead of it instantly being done in the blink of an eye!

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Lavinya said:
    I think it's more realistic that you can see someone start to paint or sculpt you, frown at them and walk away, leaving them with an unfinished work, instead of it instantly being done in the blink of an eye!
    Excellent idea! Making it take time, if the person moves at any point of it, it disrupts! Problem solved.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Frankly, I don't think this needs an AGREE syntax. I personally consider it extremely rude when people walk up to me and get a sketch of me without asking first, but it's a matter that's entirely possible to bring up ICly.
    Not possible if the person has the unwilling arts subject snubbed...

When I was figurineraped, (Yes, I found it very invasive.) I just asked to buy it.  I needed one anyway. :)
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Please, yes. I would -love- to resolve my troubles in game via roleplay. However, the person snubbed me a long time ago (entirely their perogative). This means though, that I am left with my hands tied, which is what frustrates me the most. I -can't- ask her not to sculpt me. I -can't- ask for the figurine. This is not considered an abuse of snub (official admin stance) which is also fine, but it would be really lovely if there was a coded change/fix that wouldn't leave me in this highly irritating situation.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I could envoy this at some point. It's not something that particularly affects me, so I have this question to ask. If we make it a channeled action and it requires you to move to cancel it, what stops a person from spamming it every time you enter the room to effectively harrass you into leaving? If that's not perceived to be too much of an issue, then I'll consider writing something up if no one else does.
    Envoy solution 2:
    Slap the person doing the channeled action of you to shock them out of it and end the action.
  • edited February 2013
    I think I remember this suggestion from the other thread, but...how about you just can't make stuff of someone you've snubbed? That seems to be the simplest solution, rather than making a big change just because of one person. If the subject moving cancels it, it might be hard to get certain denizens, for example, or paintings of Gods that are busy doing other things.

And, from an RP standpoint, you wouldn't want to craft the likeness of someone that you've sworn no contact with ever.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

I really don't consider making it a channeled action to be a "big change".
  • Xenthos said:

I really don't consider making it a channeled action to be a "big change".

It is a bit more work.

As I recall, the decision was that while painting or sketching someone who you have snubbed or visa-versa is not snub abuse, repeatedly painting someone who is snubbed for the sole purpose of harassing them will be dealt with very harshly.
    edited February 2013
    Well, yes, it is a "bit more" work than doing nothing- but I don't think it's a "big change". :P

Basically: If we want to envoy it, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't!
  • Xenthos said:

Well, yes, it is a "bit more" work than doing nothing- but I don't think it's a "big change". :P

It's "a bit more work" as opposed to making it just no workable on someone you've snubbed.
    Eventru said:

It's "a bit more work" as opposed to making it just no workable on someone you've snubbed.
    That's true, but snub is supposed to be an OOC mechanic really.  I'd rather just have the ability to opt out without going to the extreme of snub.
  • Xenthos said:

Eventru said:

Xenthos said:

That's true, but snub is supposed to be an OOC mechanic really.  I'd rather just have the ability to opt out without going to the extreme of snub.

That's true, but I would rather not change an entire ability because of one annoying person! :p