Should we have a "Rants" thread?

Comments

• We can't have it, I tried :(

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight

Luce said:
    Keeping as a subforum (like Q&A, Events, and Mechanics Corner) would also prevent it from showing up on the front page, so that's a thought as well. I have to tentatively agree with the idea that sometimes you really do just need to feel like you're being heard, even if no one actually cares all that much.

I personally think, a place to vent of steam that doesn't fall directly into every newbie's way would be something that's good. Yes, sometimes you need to vent steam and sometimes after you vented somebody else can point something out that may change your own view on what you just ranted on. I think rants can be productive, as long as they are that: venting of steam. Personal attacks do, in my opinion, have no place in such a subforum.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited August 2015
    I would also like to point at that "it would have taken too long to warn/ban/remove posts for x thread, so I didn't do it," isn't really a justified response to the complaints being lodged here. Not to be that guy, buuuut it's what you signed up to do, moderating is part of the admin package. Much like when we signed up, we agreed to follow the rules, even if some of those rules are perceived as stupid or tedious. Sometimes we don't do our part, sometimes the admin don't do theirs, it's inevitable (we are all human after all). That being said, that inevitability isn't justification to just say "screw it, I'll do what I want," for the admin any more than it is for the players. If the admin are going to indiscrimantly ban all sorts of threads and topics, drop warnings on people without explination as to what was said and what rule it broke) I don't see why players should care about the rules at all. To me, it is a two way street. 

No, moderating forums are not the most exciting part of the game and there a billion better things for you to do, but it's part of what you signed up for. I'm 250 IG years old and I have to do guild tasks just to classflex with the credits I paid my own money to get. I think that's a frivolous waste of my time and there are a billion better things for me to do, but hey, it's what I signed up for too. 

If  player is breaking the rules, it should be addressed with the player, and not a ban hammer on the entire community.

This all takes me back to the original forums days where player mods like Nejii would raise my warning level over any and everything without explanation. Couldn't say a disparaging word about Seren without getting slapped with some non specific remark at a rule you broke and being ushered to contact support. /grudge

edit: I don't mean that to sound like a reprimand or anything towards the admin. As I said, we're all human, I certainly haven't always followed the rules, not maintaining my half of the agreement, and I get the desire to not dig through mountains of crap sometimes. Maybe the solution is player mods again so the admin can spend their time doing the stuff they like to do and we can continue to appreciate their hard work in the game. My point is just that the tediousness of that sort of work doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done. When you put a lid on the playerbase, eventually the steam starts leaking out, and if that certainly gets a lot more ugly. 
  • Not making a commitment in any way shape or form to player mods, but if that was a possibility, who would you think would make a good mod?

edited August 2015
    Not me, I fully admit to that much. It'd have to be someone who is a stickler for the rules almost to a fault, who doesn't mind explaining themselves, has the ability to shrug off grudges, and (I don't think) does not mind the work involved.

Xenthos comes to mind.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited August 2015
    Or Lerad.

Ninja'd by Isluna.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and volunteer as well. I've actually done professional community management in MMOs including the titles SAGA Online and Land of Chaos Online - also, as anyone who has ever interacted with me with can attest, I don't insult others :P Then again, I'm also a younger player compared to many of our most frequent posters. 
  • I'd agree on the Lerad one for sure!
  • edited August 2015
    Might I make a suggestion if this really might be a 'possible' consideration. And I bolded that because I understand there is in no way an out right statement that this will happen as of this post. That this be opened into a vote. First if people would really like to see players modding. Then if people are interested, they be allowed to apply, based not on what the players think, but what the individual thinks. Modding isn't fun or easy. And you will see a different side of that player when they 'have' to deal with all of us naughty/rule breakers.

If the Admin think it might be worth a try, that is.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    +1 for Lerad and Xenthos. Viynain has also always struck me as pretty level-headed, and a damn good organizer.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Agreed on Viypants. 
  • I'd advocate for one person from each organization, maybe, to keep it unbiased.

I would support @Xenthos and @Lerad, also @Shedrin and maybe @Gabriella?
    Chief Mag PR officer
    Keep in mind too it has to be someone willing to sift through the rants group in the first place!

My concern about doing it by org though is that if someone orghops, suddenly one org is 'losing out' on a mod and another has two. A good idea in theory, but I think it'd be hard to sustain.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Keep in mind too it has to be someone willing to sift through the rants group in the first place!

My concern about doing it by org though is that if someone orghops, suddenly one org is 'losing out' on a mod and another has two. A good idea in theory, but I think it'd be hard to sustain.
    I'll admit I'm not familiar with how the moderation used to be set up when it had the players monitoring the forums, (i.e. if having a certain person from each organization was deliberate on behalf of the Admin), but I don't think that your org should have anything to do with an OOC player mod job.

(Yes, I know, in an ideal world, this wouldn't be a problem, but in the real world, some people have issues with meta-gaming and line-blurring, etc.)

Personally, I think that the mods that we would have, as players, should be just as capable as the current admin seem to be, in terms of (while being supportive of their in-game homes), enforcing the rules on all fronts, no matter where the players hail from in the game.  That's why I really like the idea of first voting on if people actually *want* the player mods (if such a thing would be allowed) - and then an application process for those that might be interested, which would be judged by an appropriate person or persons in the current Divine realm, or whomever handles that sort of thing normally.  We want someone that can be impartial nine times out of ten, (I say nine times, because we're human and I don't know anyone that is perfect, do you?) and can enforce it to an extent that is reasonable, fair, and... yeah.  Someone whom can do it to the best of their ability.

--------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • I don't think there would be any extra advantages if there was someone from each org or not just work. That and I am pretty sure that a good many people have alts in many orgs so that really doesn't matter.

The real worry is having to deal with a org zealot. Who shows after the fact they can't separate IC from OOC and over moderate anyone from an opposing org/or even someone who goes against what they think their org RP should be. Or how RP/Combat should be handled.

I honestly don't know why we don't have player mods, but I have a feeling that of some of these reasons might just be part of it. So something to consider.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • edited August 2015
    ZZ, you made a smart. Player mods please.

You should have to be Trans on forums to be a mod though.

• You said "screw" you're a loose cannon Shushu.

• Awww we love you Shuyin, we didn't want to tarnish you with more work!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I do read all the threads, but I am not sure that you want to make me a moderator. I would just reopen my tweet-like replacement thread. Though I would then have incentive to keep it relatively clean... hm.
  • edited August 2015
    Isluna said:
    I don't think there would be any extra advantages if there was someone from each org or not just work. That and I am pretty sure that a good many people have alts in many orgs so that really doesn't matter.

The real worry is having to deal with a org zealot. Who shows after the fact they can't separate IC from OOC and over moderate anyone from an opposing org/or even someone who goes against what they think their org RP should be. Or how RP/Combat should be handled.

I honestly don't know why we don't have player mods, but I have a feeling that of some of these reasons might just be part of it. So something to consider.

Exactly.  That's why there should be an application process to handle it, not necessarily just recommendation by the players.  Perhaps a combination of the two, since we as players interact with each other perhaps a little more frequently than the Gods might interact with us (though I'm sure they stalk us whenever they please, but watching is a little different from direct interaction.) This way, we have the "reliable" word-of-mouth recommendations, along with covering our butts with an application review process (of some fashion), so it avoids just being a popularity contest as well.  Who knows, there could be some unknowns that would do a really good job with modding, but they're just novices, or maybe an old face that isn't remembered quite so well that has recently come back.

EDIT: I should clarify - being elected by popularity isn't necessarily a bad thing, (I'm thinking of high school type popularity).  It can be very good, because I've found in the past that, if someone is popular and also reliable, they will generally (not all the time, but generally) be more respected than someone who is less popular with the crowd.  That's not to say that the less popular person is a bad person, just that this other person has had a better ability to... build themselves up?  So, taking into account both of these things, you have a better chance to find good player mod candidates. I believe so, anyway.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Only thing that I can really add to my previous post is that I would be worried about treating certain posters (one in particular) fairly. It could lead to either under or over moderation of that individual, and I might be more comfortable referring "questionable" things they post to a higher authority for judgement. So please keep that in mind (it would probably be good to have something in place like that for any moderators you select, if any).
    Lerad said:

I do think a rants sub-forums is a good idea, though. If all goes well, the people I dislike will keep posting there (and keep getting banned) so I don't have to read their posts in the normal forums. Make it happen, please.
    Ngl, every time I think of the rants subforum, it kinda looks like this:

Daraius said:

• Xenthos said:
    Only thing that I can really add to my previous post is that I would be worried about treating certain posters (one in particular) fairly. It could lead to either under or over moderation of that individual, and I might be more comfortable referring "questionable" things they post to a higher authority for judgement. So please keep that in mind (it would probably be good to have something in place like that for any moderators you select, if any).
    I would have to say, that there would be a need for more then one mod because of cases like this. And a willingness to get along or at least be open to considering another persons perspective. So that someone could step back when these times come up.

Yet another reason why it may or may not be a good thing to have player mods. Someone (Not pointing fingers at you Xenthos) may favor others due to friendships and allow them to get away with things.

Xenthos said:
    I haven't the faintest of who you could possible be referring to. I think I speak for the community when I say "If you don't say anything, we won't say anything."
  • Generally speaking, I don't think ranting is the best way to resolve a conflict with other people. Ranting about things can have some benefit, but even then, I believe you're better off looking for a way to make it a constructive experience. The problem is, even if -you- feel better about after ranting(and I would argue that it's a temporary and not particularly healthy emotion), it is very easy to hurt someone else's feelings in the process.

Yes, you can make the 'suck it up and deal with it like an adult' argument, but 1. This is a game, 2. Not everyone who plays is an adult, and 3. In the real world, most adults don't(or rather, shouldn't) resolve their differences by ranting at each other. Or about each other to other people. Direct communication about the issues and ownership of your own emotional response(as opposed to blaming the other person for it) is far more effective, satisfying, and leads to better resolutions without hurt feelings. At least, that's what I learned in my communication class. And in my experience, it is true, even if I don't always follow it myself.

That said, other than not resorting to personal attacks, I have no particular interest in forcing anyone to censer themselves or to deal with their problems constructively, as I find the drama mostly hilarious, and because I'm not anyone's mommy. Which is why I'd be a terrible moderator. But... sure. Rants. This is a somewhat-less-than-enthusiastic support of the idea. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."