Should we have a "Rants" thread?

12346»

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm against randomly banning people without a clearly laid out system of points. As it stands, the admin arbitrarily give their "ban points" for whatever period of time they feel is acceptable, without regulation. What's to keep one person from being jailed for 3 days, and another person is jailed for a week for the same thing?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Public ban log, bam problems solved. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    It's already somewhat public. Anyone can go into someone's profile and see their warnings, warn levels, and bans. I'm talking more of a need for a standardized ban system.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited August 2015
    That's not the point. The point is seeing who is doing the banning and why. I don't really think there's much need for a codified banning system, besides a set of general guidelines on things that are certainly not allowed (like say... forum rules). Especially if we're still talking some limited form of peer moderation, having a very public record will curb abuse.
  • The warning history on a person's account shows you who issued the punishment.
    edited August 2015
    Assuming you know all the people who have been recently punished and seek out all of their profiles, sure. I mean a button you click (or a thread) that says

"In the past 30 days, these people have been issued punishment x by y person for z reason" 
    Person 1 x y z
    Person 2 x y z
    Person 3 x y z
    Person 1 x2 y2 z2
    Person 4 x y z
    Person 1 x3 y3 z3

EDIT: Bonus for a link to the offending material.

Really, if you're looking for accountability, there is no better way.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I don't think a link to offending material is the best idea, siince sometimes the offending material will have been removed.
  • Yes we should have a rants thread so I can complain about Romaan being in the event WHERE IT SHOULD SAY ARDMORE.
  • Ardmore said:
    Yes we should have a rants thread so I can complain about Romaan being in the event WHERE IT SHOULD SAY ARDMORE.
    I share your pain. They event-snubbed me too. :-w
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Honestly I'm not hugely worried about publicized ban/warning limits, just that when getting a warning it comes with a specific quote and a specific rule broken. Most, if you go wandering the forums to read people's warnings, are super vague. You'll find several people with warnings just for instigating or intending to start an argument which is a little WTF to me. 

I have been warned previously without either and only a vague comment about negativity or some such, and when I inquired about the specifics, I was basically told to email support. Since it was just a warning, and I didn't want to cause a kerfuffle over a vague warning with an equally vague email about why I disagreed with something I didn't fully understand, I just didn't.

That being said, I know when I cross the line, most of us aren't completely lacking in self awareness. Which is why I think warnings sould come with specifics, because when I do disagree, it's not just to be a pain in the ass. It's because I sincerely do not agree. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The city of Gaudiguch struggled, only Malarious and Romaan gathering
    essence at first, but with the help of the other cities and commune,
    they too eventually succeeded, bringing out the final foe: the
    Manifestation of Snuffed Flames. Death after death came upon the
    Gaudiguchians and their assistants, yet once gathered, the foe quickly
    fell and the air grew silent.

What.  Surely this means "Ardmore and Xenthos," not Romaan.  Xenthos was helping everyone (except Magnagorans)!  Gaudiguch had the first two restored faster than Celest did, even, and their last was not far behind.

^-- This is why we need a general purpose rants thread, to put little things like this that do not deserve a thread of their own but are still kind of "Hmph!"
  • While I still agree with the fact that it can be a good idea to have a rants section - or rather, a place for blowing off steam as we've termed it, I actually have found that I prefer the fact that Tweets doesn't exist at the moment. Not only because I didn't really read it (to avoid the occasional rage rampage), but I feel that because we don't have access to these things right now - rants, tweets, general nonsense chat areas - it's forcing us to get more creative in our threads. Well, I guess that's rather obvious actually - we didn't have a choice, so we did have to create new threads. I suppose what I really mean is, I like seeing more life in other areas of the forums, and the fact that I can bounce from one thread to another, based on what my current interest is, and not have to wade through a bunch of unrelated drivel (for the most part).

Yes, I'm aware that I've always had this option, and that we have always had different threads that people used, but it's still very true that these other threads have become more active, and at least in my case, more interesting. Now instead of just skimming over one or two threads and not really participating in the forums, I find myself reading more and becoming more interested in certain aspects of the game that I never really understood/considered before.

Just my two cents on this whole matter.

The tl;dr version: While I still support the idea of having some sort of "reasonable" rants section, I enjoy the fact that the rest of the forums have so many new threads and ideas being thrown around.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Agreeing with Xenthos, I want a place where I can grumble about things. Like:

'Banks of clouds roil about here. There are 2 hard-shelled, many-legged cave-fishers here. A chitinous green mantekarr chitters here, brandishing its twin claw-like appendages menacingly. Long tentacles flailing wildly, a monstrous, slimy adorath glares hungrily at you through three purple eyes.' 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."