New Monthly Promotion: New Artifacts! (And lots of questions)

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2483
Date: 9/1/2015 at 0:41
To  : Everyone
Subj: Pinky's September Dingbat Blowout and Credit Sale

For the month of September, we are doing a special creditsale where you
get dingbats for purchasing credits! The more credits you buy, the more
dingbats you get. See SHOWREWARDS for the details. On top of this, there
is also a 20% credit sale! This means each credit package purchased will
contain 20% more credits (i.e., purchase 100 credits and receive 120
credits). For those with memberships, that is a 30% credit bonus.

We are also releasing a bevy of new dingbat items to help you use all
those dingbats that are lying around and collecting dust! All new items
are sold by Pinky in the Starhopper which include:

COSTUME ARTIFACTS (75 dingbats each)
o Casts illusion about yourself similar to nature and statue glamours.
o This puts you out of phase though you won't be able to do anything.
o Syntax: UNFOLD <costume>
o Good for hiding!
o Types:
--> Rockeater Costume (usable only in mountain environments)
--> Kestrel Costume (usable only in clouds environments)
--> Gold Sovereigns Costume (usable only in roads or path environments)
--> Pigeon Costume (usable only in urban environments)
--> Lizard Costume (usable only in urban environments)
--> Rat Costume (usable only in urban environments)
--> Weevil Costume (usable only in forest or trees environments)
--> Kelp Costume (usable only in ocean or river environments)
--> Beetle Costume (usable only in the Undervault)
--> Flower Costume (usable only on the ethereal plane)
--> Pillar Costume (usable only on the elemental plane)
--> Cosmic Fluff Costume (usable only in the cosmic plane)
--> Astral Vortex Costume (usable only in the astral plane)

BEER GOGGLES (25 dingbats)
o Must be worn.
o See and interact with drunken without needing to be drunk.

SPURS OF THE TRAVELER (100 dingbats)
o Must be worn.
o While worn, immune to natural weather effects that impact movement.

RUNE OF HIDING (25 dingbats)
o Attaches to clothing and makes it permanent
o This clothing will not appear when worn and others look at you.

NEWTON PALE ALE (25 dingbats)
o Allows entry back into Newton Caverns for 24 hours
o One time use.

NEXUS HEADDRESS (150 dingbats)
o Allows channeling astral node energy to your nexus.
o Syntax: NEXUSLINK NODE [<number>]
o NOTE: If you have the cone or link skill, your drawing power will be
faster than usual (if the artifact is worn).

COMMANDANT BATON (150 dingbats)
o Summon entire squad to you for 10 power if you are the squad leader
o Syntax: SQUAD SUMMON

COMPASS OF THE BASIN (100 dingbats)
o Delayed teleport to various hunting spots on the Basin of Life
o Syntax: TOUCH COMPASS <direction>
o Locations:
--> North - Mount Wend
--> Northeast - Snow Valley
--> Northwest - Tosha Monastery
--> East - Shallamurine Cathedral
--> Southeast - Tainted Broadcast Center
--> South - Naga Tunnels
--> Southwest - Dwarven Chancel
--> West - Mornhai Sanctuary

Penned by My hand on the 1st of Vestian, in the year 421 CE.

-----------------------

Questions:
1) Compass of the Basin
- When it says Mount Wend, is that on the other side of the locked gate?  Or on the near side?
- Why is the Waste Storage Facility not on it?  That seems a better option than the Naga tunnels to me!
2) Does the Rune of Hiding work on Race Hats?
3) Spurs of the Traveler: Are these immunity to all temperature affects that make you slower?  If so, what does this do to things like the Demigod power and the weather runes which do the same thing?

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    PS: I am totally buying the beer goggles, because I need more eye/headwear to go along with my plethora of boots. :D
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **

Yes, because people go there all the time...for the choice hunting...

=D>
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Eritheyl said:

Yes, because people go there all the time...for the choice hunting...

=D>
    I actually used to, when I was bashing up the 120,000,000 for my first Veneration.  Full clear of Muud, after clearing Muud, do the adoraths, then the sharks/mantas in the GIP, then TBC (going down the elevator to get everything, there are actually a lot more critters there than you can see at first glance).  Once done with that, sanity was all recovered and Muud was repopulating for a reclear.

Sojiro watched me bash it up / competed with me for Muud, so he might remember me doing the routine!
  • Xenthos said:
    PS: I am totally buying the beer goggles, because I need more eye/headwear to go along with my plethora of boots. :D
    I know the feeling. Goggle collecting is kinda fun.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Can the rune of hiding also go on jewelry and armor, or only actual clothing items? If no, please consider changing so that it can go on them.

Very tempting artifact as it is, would also be improved by making it toggleable.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Whoa, spurs: Are these deactivated by being in a fierceweather demesne? They absolutly should be.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Please make the rune of hiding go on any wearable item. I will buy so many to hide all my ugly artifacts!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    With the exception of the spurs (assuming they do ignore a shaman's costly demesne slowing effect), these are all good artifacts. Useful without being broken, and fairly reasonably priced.

A suggestion: The costumes should all have a uniform unfolding message, if they don't already. If they have unique messages, please prepend a line like "Enyalida unfolds a gnomish costume" to them? This will make them less a get-out-of-combat free card, as we won't have to dig up each message and highlight them individually. Alternatly, prevent them while unable to be masochistic.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Does the nexus headdress stack with the flux capacitor? For roleplay reasons, of course.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited September 2015
    Enyalida said:
    With the exception of the spurs (assuming they do ignore a shaman's costly demesne slowing effect)
    It specifically says 'natural', so I don't think it would, no.

To be honest I'm not 100% certain they're working at all right now, since the weather effects I've run through are pretty mild, and it's all still showing on forecast. But golly I'm so excited at the prospect, immediately traded in all but one of my frivilous dingbat artis for them ;;)

/waits on bug report
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • The artifacts were not active until a bit ago, but they all should be now (unless something is broken). I'll go through the thread and answer questions in a minute.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Questions:
    1) Compass of the Basin
    - When it says Mount Wend, is that on the other side of the locked gate?  Or on the near side?
    - Why is the Waste Storage Facility not on it?  That seems a better option than the Naga tunnels to me!
    2) Does the Rune of Hiding work on Race Hats?
    3) Spurs of the Traveler: Are these immunity to all temperature affects that make you slower?  If so, what does this do to things like the Demigod power and the weather runes which do the same thing?
    1a - The room it goes to is "Beyond the gates of Saint Gathlyn.", which I believe is beyond the gate but I'm not 100% sure because I don't quests.
    1b - The waste storage facility isn't in the south, so it wouldn't make any sense to replace the naga caves with it.
    2 - Yes. As of right now, it attaches to clothing, armour, and any wearable artifact. Jewelry is currently not included, that may change we'll see.
    3 - The spurs negate all effects of temperature and wind on movement only when you're wearing them and mounted on your beast. This does NOT work in rooms where a shaman has changed the weather, only naturally-occurring weather. The other effects that reduce the movement penalties will not have any effect, then, when the spurs are active, but are still useful in situations where you're not mounted or in a shaman's demesne (if they work in a demesne, I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head).

Portius said:
    Can the rune of hiding also go on jewelry and armor, or only actual clothing items? If no, please consider changing so that it can go on them.

Very tempting artifact as it is, would also be improved by making it toggleable.
    See above for the first question. Toggling is a maybe.
    Enyalida said:
    Whoa, spurs: Are these deactivated by being in a fierceweather demesne? They absolutly should be.
    See above, no effect in weather-changed demesnes.
    Enyalida said:
    A suggestion: The costumes should all have a uniform unfolding message, if they don't already. If they have unique messages, please prepend a line like "Enyalida unfolds a gnomish costume" to them? This will make them less a get-out-of-combat free card, as we won't have to dig up each message and highlight them individually. Alternatly, prevent them while unable to be masochistic.
    I didn't code the costumes, so not 100% sure on how those work right now.

Shuyin said:
    Does the nexus headdress stack with the flux capacitor? For roleplay reasons, of course.
    Yes, and you'll get the benefit even if you're using your skill-specific syntax (starcall link or whatever) as well; in fact, the only difference between the skill links and the artifact link are the start message and who can use the syntaxes.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Re: mount wend. Even if it doesn't take you inside, there's often paths or rifts to the inside, and the gate is easily opened with simple influencing.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Does the dingbat clothing thingy work on splendours and robes?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • <3@Estarra. Implemented my idea!

o One time use.
    o One time use.
    o One time use.
    o One time use.
    o One time use.
    o One time use.
    o One time use.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Is the Baton just Moon/Night Conclave but costs more power? (Same plane/continent restricted)
    edited September 2015
    Shaddus said:
    Re: mount wend. Even if it doesn't take you inside, there's often paths or rifts to the inside, and the gate is easily opened with simple influencing.
    There are already artifacts that take you to the orphanage though (a curio set), so if it didn't take you inside it wouldn't be all that helpful as a destination.  However, it does appear to.

Also, I like things that let me avoid even simple quests to get into areas!  This is why I'd like to see Waste Storage Facility added.  It could replace Snow Valley too, being in the northeast.
    Asylum > Snow Valley for NE hunting area. >.>
    Shaddus said:
    Asylum > Snow Valley for NE hunting area. >.>
    There's already a curio collection to the Asylum.  Waste Storage Facility!
  • There is a gif I am looking for to describe these new artis

Let me find it

• Here it is:

• Oooh, these are nice.

But damn, this is going to suck up the supply of dingies out in the market.

The weather spurs is pretty good, but I would really prefer it if it could work while not on a beast. @Estarra Please consider such a change. A lot of acro/stealth abilities can't work while mounted, and as an artifact, making it require a beast is really very weird. What about all those poor people who haven't trained beastmastery?

If it's not going to affect combat (disabled in Shaman weather) then let it be more generally useful, please!

• Wait, the spurs require being mounted? That's not listed in the artifact info anywhere!

SPURS OF THE TRAVELER (100 dingbats)
    o Must be worn.
    o While worn, immune to natural weather effects that impact movement.

Also, can anyone clarify if it makes these abilities/artis obsolete or useless?
    - Demi WeatherProof
    - Rune of the Winter/Summer Bane
    - Wonder wand Weather Shield

Do the spurs negate natural wind movement reduction (such as in Icewynd)?

• Ieptix said:

3 - The spurs negate all effects of temperature and wind on movement only when you're wearing them and mounted on your beast. This does NOT work in rooms where a shaman has changed the weather, only naturally-occurring weather. The other effects that reduce the movement penalties will not have any effect, then, when the spurs are active, but are still useful in situations where you're not mounted or in a shaman's demesne (if they work in a demesne, I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head).

The spurs would make the demipower and the runes/wonderwand effects redundant, but apparently because they only work while mounted, it means those are still "useful", because you aren't mounted all the time. That is, however, a fairly frustrating reason, since it pretty much acknowledges that having it tied to being mounted is something that limits it greatly, and that such is the plan: to keep it as something greatly limited, despite the fact that it costs dingbats, just so as to maintain value for some (less effective) older abilities/artifacts.

Also, it should affect wind movement effects, hopefully, since it would be pretty lame if not.

• edited September 2015
    Oh, thanks Lerad and Ieptix, I missed that earlier post.

Edit: removed edit, because derp.
  • Lerad said:
    Ieptix said:

The spurs would make the demipower and the runes/wonderwand effects redundant, but apparently because they only work while mounted, it means those are still "useful", because you aren't mounted all the time. That is, however, a fairly frustrating reason, since it pretty much acknowledges that having it tied to being mounted is something that limits it greatly, and that such is the plan: to keep it as something greatly limited, despite the fact that it costs dingbats, just so as to maintain value for some (less effective) older abilities/artifacts.

Also, it should affect wind movement effects, hopefully, since it would be pretty lame if not.
    I wouldn't say the runes are completely redundant. Wouldn't you still get hit by the cold/heat damage of extreme weather and thus making the weather runes (and I guess the others?) still worth it?
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    So many shiny things :)
    So little dingbats :(

Some of those things sound very useful.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • edited September 2015
    COMPASS OF THE BASIN (100 dingbats)
    o Delayed teleport to various hunting spots on the Basin of Life
    o Syntax: TOUCH COMPASS <direction>
    o Locations:
    --> North - Mount Wend
    --> Northeast - Snow Valley
    --> Northwest - Tosha Monastery
    --> East - Shallamurine Cathedral
    --> South - Naga Tunnels
    --> Southwest - Dwarven Chancel
    --> West - Mornhai Sanctuary

i think maybe 3 items on this list are actual locations worth hunting in...

And yep, as if Tainted Broadcast Center needed a cheap purchasable easy to get-to artie (Complain2Win?)
  • Also

COSTUME ARTIFACTS (75 dingbats each)
    o Casts illusion about yourself similar to nature and statue glamours.
    o This puts you out of phase though you won't be able to do anything.
    o Syntax: UNFOLD <costume>
    o Good for hiding!
    o Types:
    --> Rockeater Costume (usable only in mountain environments)
    --> Kestrel Costume (usable only in clouds environments)
    --> Gold Sovereigns Costume (usable only in roads or path environments)
    --> Pigeon Costume (usable only in urban environments)
    --> Lizard Costume (usable only in urban environments)
    --> Rat Costume (usable only in urban environments)
    --> Weevil Costume (usable only in forest or trees environments)
    --> Kelp Costume (usable only in ocean or river environments)
    --> Beetle Costume (usable only in the Undervault)
    --> Flower Costume (usable only on the ethereal plane)
    --> Pillar Costume (usable only on the elemental plane)
    --> Cosmic Fluff Costume (usable only in the cosmic plane)
    --> Astral Vortex Costume (usable only in the astral plane)

Really...do you know the amount of trolling that this will cause? And for that cheap too..
  • Eh. Statue/nature can be hit by kether. People will get highlights for the look.