Comments

• <boss> How are things today?

<me> Painful.

<boss> Why?

<me> I woke up old this morning.

</RANT>
  • That's coming for me in December.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I feel like I need a neutral third party to read my email exchanges with my boss and tell me which one of us is being crazy. Anybody know of a service like that?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Think that's called a mediator. Or a lawyer.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:

I feel like I need a neutral third party to read my email exchanges with my boss and tell me which one of us is being crazy. Anybody know of a service like that?

Mine is called my best friend and he usually knows what's up. The email struggle is real.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Yay for getting yelled at through email. Because things.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    If you had to ask me to classify wedding rings as 'relatively inexpensive' or 'prohibitively expensive', I would have to say, on average, it tends toward the latter.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited September 2015
    Wedding rings aren't that expensive

Engagement rings, well, we'll just say that my wife's engagement ring is the third most expensive thing I've ever bought.

The first two are my house and car.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    My wedding ring, a simple band with a brushed finish, cost more than my wife's engagement ring with three diamonds. I am at a loss to explain this phenomenon. Also, it took me longer to pick out my simple band than to pick out her engagement ring, but that's because when I bought her ring, I was the only person in the store, and the three ladies working devoted 100% of their attention to me giving me all sorts of options and advice until I landed on my choice.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I'll be honest. I've spent more on my computer than my wife's engagement ring. But not by a whole lot.
  • Daraius said:

An Attorney. Better if they are a practicing buddy of yours so all it costs is dinner but even if not, knowing the law is key.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Uh, just make sure you don't have an arbitration agreement or an NDA in place before speaking to a lawyer. If you DO have one, ask your boss' boss how to get in touch with said arbiter. (and then ask that arbiter to take a look, since that's on the company's dime)
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited September 2015
    I appreciate the advice guys, but there's nobody above my boss. He's the business owner and his judgement in all scenarios is final. Any disagreement or indication of anything that opposes his view is "misinformed" or "not seeing the big picture." Any expression of concern for coworkers is "none of your business" because "they're adults capable of making their own decisions." Any feelings of stress or anxiety are caused because we don't "assume positive intent." Any expression of our own viewpoints and assessments is not "appropriate and effective professional communication." 

There's really nothing to be done but leave. I've wanted to since our other decorator quit, but I can't risk an interruption in my income while I'm actively looking to move house. It'll happen eventually, though! This too shall pass. :)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

• Tarkenton said:
    I'll be honest. I've spent more on my computer than my wife's engagement ring. But not by a whole lot.
    My computer is worth more then my car and my three ring wedding set... By a whole lot! I picked them all out.

I really have a sad life....

@Daraius - Good luck. I hope you get a lucky break and the puzzle is solved!

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    My 13 year old has a slightly older girlfriend. Said girlfriend's parents let her do whatever she wants, including dyeing her hair and getting big gaping holes in her ears. Now my daughter wants the same things to fit in :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited September 2015
    I don't want to tell you how to raise your children or how to be a parent, Shaddus, but... self-expression isn't always a bad thing.

At the least, perhaps you can tell her that she must wait until a certain age to do those things?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Rancoura said:

I don't want to tell you how to raise your children or how to be a parent, Shaddus, but... self-expression isn't always a bad thing.

At the least, perhaps you can tell her that she must wait until a certain age to do those things?
    We did, she can get gauges in her ears and dye her hair when she's 27.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Daraius said:
    I appreciate the advice guys, but there's nobody above my boss. He's the business owner and his judgement in all scenarios is final. Any disagreement or indication of anything that opposes his view is "misinformed" or "not seeing the big picture." Any expression of concern for coworkers is "none of your business" because "they're adults capable of making their own decisions." Any feelings of stress or anxiety are caused because we don't "assume positive intent." Any expression of our own viewpoints and assessments is not "appropriate and effective professional communication." 

There's really nothing to be done but leave. I've wanted to since our other decorator quit, but I can't risk an interruption in my income while I'm actively looking to move house. It'll happen eventually, though! This too shall pass. :)
    I hope the situation changes to your favor Daraius.  I wanted to address a couple of points as I understand them.  This is less addressing you directly Daraius as opposed to discussing the problem you described in general. 

The idea that "there is nobody above my boss" is quite widespread and incorrect.  A small business employer is subject to federal, state and local law (in the US. I can't speak for the UK system at all).  For example employees can pursue wrongful termination, workplace retaliation, harassment, etc. lawsuits. 

Since you are describing an internal workplace disagreement with an employer who is more interested in spending time writing down meaningless management terms rather than addressing problems, the above really doesn't apply to you. In the situation you described I would however document every conversation, preferably in email. If you have face to face discussions, then write down the discussion immediately after with all details.  This will not always help but there are occasions where I have been informed it may. 

Luce said:
    Uh, just make sure you don't have an arbitration agreement or an NDA in place before speaking to a lawyer. If you DO have one, ask your boss' boss how to get in touch with said arbiter. (and then ask that arbiter to take a look, since that's on the company's dime)

I am not sure but as I understand it before inititating any workplace process that requires interaction with the arbiter (who is hired and payed for by the company) make sure you know what you are doing because the practical effect is that the company will know you the employee are raising an issue and there is the real possibility you will be blackballed internally.  As I understand it, even if you are under an NDA and you consult an external lawyer you do have a client-lawyer relationship with some degree of confidentiality even if you do not hire the external lawyer you spoke to.  Which has more weight, this theoretical NDA or the client-lawyer confidentiality; I don't know. 
  • Getting woken up at 4am because a server your software is on is having issues. While it doesn't happen often, it seems to ALWAYS happen after a night of drinking when I'm in desperate need of that sleep.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. ._.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Loosing a battle due to balantly keeping to mispel your opponents name... :-(
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Sorry, but ``NO!'', even though I am on the ``production/live team'', I simply cannot *MAKE* them install ``your latest update'' within the next five minutes.  I absolutely will *NOT* send emails that read ``Drop whatever you're doing and do X'', simply because I am *NOT* their boss.  Got a compelling reason? Then fucking tell me if you want any sympathy.
    Dammit, Jim, I'm a programmer, not a Manager!

I lead my own team, and I manage (got rid of the two PM's from previous posts, remember?) my own clients, but I do *NOT* think for even one second that I am ``the bawss''.  Cappiche?

</RANT>
  • That must suck Aledra
    Stangmar - Retired

• Shaddus said:
    My 13 year old has a slightly older girlfriend. Said girlfriend's parents let her do whatever she wants, including dyeing her hair and getting big gaping holes in her ears. Now my daughter wants the same things to fit in :(

Rancoura said:

While I understand the desire not to repress self-expression....the concern is that one of those means of self-expression(ear gauging) is a permanent expression of what may be a temporary feeling.  I think at 13 it might be wise to let them mature a bit and get to know themselves better before they make such an outwardly visible change that could effect their future employability.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited September 2015
    Modest gauging is not permanent.

EDIT: I feel like if I were a parent, I would totally jump on my kid wanting to dye their hair as a painless place to say 'yes' to something. It's not like a teen (or preteen) has many formal occasions to attend, or the bar to pass, or something. If there is any point in their life that they will have the relative freedom to do something like have crazy hair, when they are still students is that point. I can see lines being drawn for rapid switching and so on (especially if $$$ is a concern), but hell: if hair gets damaged it'll look bad or have to get cut short. Warnings were had!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I went to a new doctor's office today. Lots of pretty gay men work there, including the gay who was doing my labs. We chatted, we laughed, we connected. I was hoping he'd ask me out. Instead, he asked me to pee in a cup. Because it was a doctor's office. #notromantic
    2 funerals in the span of a week. I'm glad I have a retreat/conference this weekend.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Everiine eep! :-/ Heartfelt condolences to you, unbeknowingst, sorry to hear that. A part of life that never comes easy to us.

Stangmar Actually... no. It was quite hilarious, was only like 'gnaa' for a minute or so, later on I had a good laugh about it. Learning, Learning, Learning.

Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • For reasons I can't even begin to figure out, I just can't write anything right now. I don't even know that it's fair to call it writer's block. I have an idea, I like what I'm trying to write, I have little scenes planned out in my head. But it just keeps not happening, and now it's the 26th and all this month I've managed to plunk down is a single, solitary page out of the 12 I'm aiming for. This isn't hard. I purposely picked something that wouldn't be hard. So why is it such a struggle?
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Stratas said:
    For reasons I can't even begin to figure out, I just can't write anything right now. I don't even know that it's fair to call it writer's block. I have an idea, I like what I'm trying to write, I have little scenes planned out in my head. But it just keeps not happening, and now it's the 26th and all this month I've managed to plunk down is a single, solitary page out of the 12 I'm aiming for. This isn't hard. I purposely picked something that wouldn't be hard. So why is it such a struggle?
    I do this with my art every month.. I am still on line art phase @_@
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."