Request for Information - Politics and Politicians in Mud's in general - RFY01

edited September 2015 in The Real World

Et al:

There are many reasons for politics in a Mud.  While many might amply serve if even left intangible there are a great many which offer tangible benefit within Lusternia.  Some are driven to it for the prestige, others want to directly impact and shape matters (or at least offer some influence over them), some might relish in having some power others, still more consider it one more aspect of the environment and/or their character to explore.  Bartle has written on these sorts of things.  Heck! Mike'sMatt's degree is in Political Science, so I'm not even the least bit surprised to see a well-conceived political system competently implemented in Lusternia.  It is good that players of Lusternia have quite a menu of reasons for engaging the political processes.  These reasons are an inclusive set, not exclusive set, since I'm certain most politicians in Lusternia could thinks of several reasons for enjoining that aspect of the system.

Being all this as it may, there was another Mud, a graphical Mud actually, where there was an entire class/skillset dedicated to the role of politician.  I never played this one, but I hear Star Wars: Galaxies was very popular.  No doubt there are countless smaller Mud's which also have devoted a role to that of politician.  My questions are simple, but I suspect the answers to be quite complex.  I'm not asking, by the way, because I'd like to play a different Mud or somehow program up some competition for Lusternia; I'm very happy with Lusternia and can see no reason for abandoning it (I've merely been busy).  Without further ado:

What would need to be present in a system to support a dedicated ``politician'' role?

Why would anyone devote their major skill-picks and/or class to be a ``politician''?

What Muds currently have such a dedicated role?

[Edit 20150917 - Corrected Mr. Mihaly's name]

</RANT>

Comments

• I thought I'd receive more replies than this.  Harumph!

I still love all of you.

</RANT>