Snub

2»

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'd like an alert that you've been snubbed, so that you know ahead of time, before you try to communicate with someone, or before you do something that could be construed as snub avoidance. If you're trying to talk to someone or get their attention over a channel and they have you snubbed, it could easily lead to a disfavor that could be seen as going around snub. 

Also, I agree. Snubbing someone shouldn't suddenly 'stealth' things YOU (the snub-ing person) said to the person you snubbed.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You won't even be able to find out about it to issue unless:
    1) Someone else there asks you why you are not responding, and
    2) Quotes them to you.

Under those circumstances I would likely assume that you had snubbed them instead, and thus passing their words on to you would be a Bad Thing. But as a third party thereis no way to tell, either, and it can't be found out without involving a third party whois likely to be reluctant (with good reason)
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Wow Shaddus with the right idea. How often does this happen?
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    There are people in this game who overabuse the snub command, snubbing entire orgs for example because you're not on friendly terms with them, people you've never met and have no interactions with other than you fought that one time.

Personally snub for me is something you use to avoid a select small number of troublemakers where there is no alternative means of working things out. It should be a last resort, not a prevention or a bubble to wrap yourself up in.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• In my opinion, it goes a little far if a person has to tiptoe around even a potential snubber as seems to be the case. Someone can snub me just because they don't like the weather outside, and then the 'onus' is on me to not even evoke the appearance of what might be a negative/vindictive reaction to that snub in whatever I do with respect to that person in the game?

People who snub others often just want to rant and have the last word.

• edited February 2013
    Veyrzhul said:

In my opinion, it goes a little far if a person has to tiptoe around even a potential snubber as seems to be the case. Someone can snub me just because they don't like the weather outside, and then the 'onus' is on me to not even evoke the appearance of what might be a negative/vindictive reaction to that snub in whatever I do with respect to that person in the game?

If Celina tells you your makeup is busted clown ratchet then snubs you, you're welcome to jump her to your little heart's content.

The point isn't that snub should guard you from reprisal for actions, but it is on you to make sure you don't you aren't (and for your own sake, don't look like you are) punishing them for nothing more than snubbing you. We've had instances in the past where someone on the leadership council discovers Susie Q has snubbed them, gets pissed, then everyone wants to jump on them - or outright pass laws that disallow snubbing leadership, etc. And obviously, that's not okay.

• Eventru said:
    If Celina tells you your makeup is busted clown ratchet then snubs you, you're welcome to jump her to your little heart's content.
    Good, good. I wasn't really making a case for myself here, I'm not aware of anyone snubbing me in the last two or so rl years (still might have happened, of course).
    Eventru said:
    We've had instances in the past where someone on the leadership council discovers Susie Q has snubbed them, gets pissed, then everyone wants to jump on them - or outright pass laws that disallow snubbing leadership, etc. And obviously, that's not okay.
    With regards to this, I support Shaddus' suggestion or would maybe even go one step further: Perhaps the person who snubs someone should be held accountable for that. If it causes complications like in Ssaliss case and others which potentially take up the time of players and admins (if the snubbed person has to issue and clarify if they can do this or that), then the admins may want to approach the snubber and ensure there was a valid reason for the snubbing to begin with and it didn't just happen out of a whim.
  • Veyrzhul said:

Eventru said:

Good, good. I wasn't really making a case for myself here, I'm not aware of anyone snubbing me in the last two or so rl years (still might have happened, of course).

Eventru said:

We've had instances in the past where someone on the leadership council discovers Susie Q has snubbed them, gets pissed, then everyone wants to jump on them - or outright pass laws that disallow snubbing leadership, etc. And obviously, that's not okay.

With regards to this, I support Shaddus' suggestion or would maybe even go one step further: Perhaps the person who snubs someone should be held accountable for that. If it causes complications like in Ssaliss case and others which potentially take up the time of players and admins (if the snubbed person has to issue and clarify if they can do this or that), then the admins may want to approach the snubber and ensure there was a valid reason for the snubbing to begin with and it didn't just happen out of a whim.

I think there are bigger problems if Celina is calling your makeup job ratchet and clown.

We don't police the reason for a snub - it's a tool available to everyone to use at their own discretion. What constitutes a reason to effectively "mute" someone is really on the individual.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Silvanus said:
    Wow Shaddus with the right idea. How often does this happen?
    Every other year under a Full Moon when I've been eating a steady diet of toffee and brie.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited February 2013
    Xenthos said:
    PS, if you can't tell, I would like a snub re-work. It has some pretty silly loopholes and oddities. Did you know that if I snub you, you will not hear anything that I SAY? You will still see my emotes, cltells, and I believe my ctells, but not what I say. So I can snub you and say all kinds of BS about you right in front of you to everyone gathered, and you will never know. Or be able to defend yourself. And if you get someone to start relaying text to you, well, snub avoidance. Especially if said someone is relaying your text back (because then you are having an illegal conversation). Edit: And yes, I issued this for clarification; it is intended to work this way.
    As far as I can tell, you don't hear cltells if someone has snubbed you.  You do however, see non-targeted emotes.  Not sure about ctells.

But yes, snub really should just work one-way, unless you snub the other person back as well, since things like helm of telepathy are technically getting around snub if they're in the same room as the person that has snubbed you.  You can hear that person's tells regardless of snub status.

Eventru said:
    In my opinion, it goes a little far if a person has to tiptoe around even a potential snubber as seems to be the case. Someone can snub me just because they don't like the weather outside, and then the 'onus' is on me to not even evoke the appearance of what might be a negative/vindictive reaction to that snub in whatever I do with respect to that person in the game?

If Celina tells you your makeup is busted clown ratchet then snubs you, you're welcome to jump her to your little heart's content. The point isn't that snub should guard you from reprisal for actions, but it is on you to make sure you don't you aren't (and for your own sake, don't look like you are) punishing them for nothing more than snubbing you. We've had instances in the past where someone on the leadership council discovers Susie Q has snubbed them, gets pissed, then everyone wants to jump on them - or outright pass laws that disallow snubbing leadership, etc. And obviously, that's not okay.
    So what happens if a city or a commune leader gets voted in and then snubs half of the active population along with the guild leader circle?  Or a guild leader is voted in and then snubs most of the active members of the guild?  Or if a person gets enemied for being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but the people that can lift the enemy status have snubbed said person?
  • Valen said:

Xenthos said:

PS, if you can't tell, I would like a snub re-work. It has some pretty silly loopholes and oddities.

Did you know that if I snub you, you will not hear anything that I SAY? You will still see my emotes, cltells, and I believe my ctells, but not what I say.

So I can snub you and say all kinds of BS about you right in front of you to everyone gathered, and you will never know. Or be able to defend yourself. And if you get someone to start relaying text to you, well, snub avoidance. Especially if said someone is relaying your text back (because then you are having an illegal conversation).

Edit: And yes, I issued this for clarification; it is intended to work this way.

As far as I can tell, you don't hear cltells if someone has snubbed you.  You do however, see non-targeted emotes.  Not sure about ctells.

But yes, snub really should just work one-way, unless you snub the other person back as well, since things like helm of telepathy are technically getting around snub if they're in the same room as the person that has snubbed you.  You can hear that person's tells regardless of snub status.

Eventru said:

Veyrzhul said:

The point isn't that snub should guard you from reprisal for actions, but it is on you to make sure you don't you aren't (and for your own sake, don't look like you are) punishing them for nothing more than snubbing you. We've had instances in the past where someone on the leadership council discovers Susie Q has snubbed them, gets pissed, then everyone wants to jump on them - or outright pass laws that disallow snubbing leadership, etc. And obviously, that's not okay.

So what happens if a city or a commune leader gets voted in and then
    snubs half of the active population along with the guild leader circle?  Or a guild leader is voted in and then snubs most of the active members
    of the guild?  Or if a person gets enemied for being at the wrong
    place at the wrong time, but the people that can lift the enemy status
    have snubbed said person?

That's their prerogative. Nothing stops someone from contesting them, either. Snub certainly doesn't.

Likewise, nothing guarantees you'll be unenemied even if it was "wrong place wrong time". Nothing says they can't gag your tells, throw away your letters, and completely ignore you, either - in any of your situations. In fact, if Glomdoring decided every citizen was going to snub everyone they weren't allied to, that's really on them!

Frankly, you can come up with all these examples of "abuse" but the reality is when someone uses it in such a manner the only person they're hurting is themself. They could carry on far longer if they just ignored everyone versus snubbing them, outright refusing to unenemy, etc etc. People who engage in that kind of mass snubbing tend to discover the social stigma that comes with it is basically crippling, or don't realize it but become pariahs restricted to manses and peaced rooms.
    Huge difference there; if I gag your tells, throw away your letters and otherwise ignore you...

... it does not prevent you from hearing what I SAY. You would have to gag me back to do so.

Or I can just snub you and arbitrarily decide, for no reason at all, that you cannot hear me. Through no choice or action of your own.
    I just do not understand how that mechanic can be defended. If someone snubs you, that is their choice. It should not suddenly make you unable to hear them. There is no logical reason for this that I can see. If they say something and you respond... they cannot see it. No harm done. Snub has done what it is supposed to.

Also, it's not a mute button, it is an RPG-equivalent of a thermonuclear bomb. You drop it on someone to annihilate any RP opportunities, and to have justification to issue them if they do anything that even remotely smacks of avoidance or revenge. I will reiterate that there are certain players who deserve this; I do not think its effect should be downplayed, however. It is an entirely OOC mechanic that drastically changes what you can do. I mean, having to issue yourself for clarification in order to avoid running afoul of the law is not exactly appealing, especially if you were snubbed for advertising an ad on market!
This discussion has been closed.