how do you say your characters name?

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Phoebus said:
    FEE-bəs! You wouldn't call a phoenix a foe-nix, so don't call Phoebus a foe-bus. :(
    I'm bad at reading ipa, that's "feef - butts" right? :P
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Silea said:
    Phoebus said:
    FEE-bəs! You wouldn't call a phoenix a foe-nix, so don't call Phoebus a foe-bus. :(

For a minute I read your pronouncement as image
    It basically is. I'm a majestic fish. Glub glub & etc.

Enyalida said:
    Phoebus said:
    I'm bad at reading ipa, that's "feef - butts" right? :P
    NO. A schwa does not read phonetically as "butts", though I'd venture a guess that if it did, more people would know what a schwa was. >_> 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The schwa is sort of a dead sound, that sound you make when you're not really trying to make any sound and it just sorta comes out (that's how I always read it).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Everiine said:
    The schwa is sort of a dead sound, that sound you make when you're not really trying to make any sound and it just sorta comes out (that's how I always read it).
    Yeah, that's a pretty good way to put it. I always think of it as the "lazy vowel."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Aegisbier said:
    Age us beer
    Isn't 'aegis' an actual word that's pronounced "eej-uhs"?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    It's an actual Greek word spelled with a gamma, which makes a hard G sound. I humbly present the LSJ entry.

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So more like eye-giss?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    More or less! I don't want to imply that you absolutely have to do Ancient Greek pronunciation on this sort of thing, even if that's my personal instinct. English does weird things to the pronunciation a lot of the time for reasons that are really tangential to this thread, so I'm just gonna leave the Greek form here αἰγίς for reference and then link to a guide to pronunciation for the curious. It's not the best one, but it's convenient.

Here endeth the digression.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Rye sue
  • edited July 2015
    Erinya -> Air in yuh!

Or

Erin -> (duh)

OR

Eri -> Airy!

...I guess my name is not really terribly hard to figure out after all. XD
  • Beats the hell out of me, Chribo was a namegen name. Chir like chirp minus p? Along with bo? Yeah that works for me.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Syl- as in Sylvia.

-andra as in Sandra.

Tada!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • It's pronounced (in my head) as it is spelled, basically. Dell-sea
  • Leo-lame-ass

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• зеленый цвет

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Dictionary

1bitch

noun \ˈbich\

Definition of BITCH

:  the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals
    :  a lewd or immoral woman
    :  a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman —sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Wow, you're like all of those at once.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Celina said:
    Dictionary

1bitch

noun \ˈbich\

Definition of BITCH

:  the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals
    :  a lewd or immoral woman
    :  a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman —sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse

Woah, you mean to say our names are pronounced the same way? What're the odds?

(But really, mine's just "Gwennie," except with a u instead of a w because I thought it looked cuter that way.)
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I DON'T SHARE
  • @Czixi ??

(And for anyone wondering, Ciaran: https://forvo.com/word/ciarán/)
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • edited February 2017
    Dangerously close to Seck-see!

Thanks for the clarification!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Kah-lak (with excessive phlegm hocking for bonus points)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Czixi said:
    Sick-see.
    Oh thank god. I never know how to ask IG.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I always said Zick-Zee, huh.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    I always said Zick-Zee, huh.
    I think I probably say it halfway between Sick and Zick, actually. Probably more like Zick-see? Either way, the important part is that the C is silent.
    I was originally pronouncing it as "Zixie" which is pretty close, but then I decided Chichi is funnier, so you'll be Chichi in my mind forever.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shadouche
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Isn't Cz meant to be pronounced as a ch? Sort of like Czech. Xi pronounced like a sh... Or have all my pronunciation lessons gone down the drain? Though that'd be two different languages.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2017
    None of your pronunciation lessons have been in a Lusternian Elder god language, I'd wager.  :p
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."