General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Xanward said:

One of my favorite employees at work accepted another job and is leaving when he graduates in a month, and he's being replaced by someone who I have nothing in common with. We're also hiring another employee, who I also have nothing in common with Dx

This is exactly what happened to me. But it turned out to be an impetus for me to pursue some much needed change in my life, so it was ultimately a positive thing.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • That moment when you try and forget how dumb you are, but then it creeps up on you again and your chest hurts.  
  • edited May 2015
    I. really. dislike. the. effing. layout. of. the. fire. plane.

And I had to use lots of dots to make that point a POINT. (Yeah bad pun I know).

Anyhow, why does it have to be mapped in such a way that it shows me in a room, shows an exit to the <direction> on the map but there is none! As if those silly random-movement-fire things weren't confusing enough already. I do think water and earth plane aren't that bad. They're at least mapped in a coherent way (if I remember correctly). Sigh. Much dissatisfaction.

EDIT: Or the times it just doesn't show you at all on the map (probably cause there's a room mapped above the current one or something). Gah.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    ...so I still don't understand the hiring process in America, apparently it's just supposed to be fill out as many applications as you can and pray to every god in existence that one of them sends something back? The one I interviewed for has a high turnover rate and an agonisingly long background check process, so I'm really worried I might not get it, but none of the fifty-some other applications I put out before ever even tried to contact me (except one telecommunications one that turned out to be a scam).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Synkarin said:

Tremula said:

...so I still don't understand the hiring process in America, apparently it's just supposed to be fill out as many applications as you can and pray to every god in existence that one of them sends something back? The one I interviewed for has a high turnover rate and an agonisingly long background check process, so I'm really worried I might not get it, but none of the fifty-some other applications I put out before ever even tried to contact me (except one telecommunications one that turned out to be a scam).

Yes, this is job hunting. It's a full time job
    Often unpaid, the hours are lousy, and you'll be judged every step of the way by people who've never had to do it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Everyone's had to job hunt at some point or another....

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2015
    Not really. It can be a VERY different beast depending on what connections and networks you have already in place, and is FAR less strenuous and stressful if you aren't desperate for said new job. Doing the job hunt with no vehicle or dependable data connection is a total nightmare, for instance. Or if you don't have any marketable skills, or live in a town/city that displays particular prejudice against some group you're a part of.
    Unless you don't have a job and have never looked for a job, you've had to do some type of job hunting. Being less strenuous or stressful or being easier doesn't make it not job hunting.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Tremula said:

Not just America. It's the way of things. In Australia though most companies won't hire you unless you go through a recruitment agencies these days. They at least put a lot of jobs in your path to apply for that are actively hiring.

In the same way that you flip burgers part time during your highschool summer break and working for minimum wage to support your family of three-or-four on minimum wage is still the same job, sure. But okay!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2015
    Synkarin said:

Unless you don't have a job and have never looked for a job, you've had to do some type of job hunting. Being less strenuous or stressful or being easier doesn't make it not job hunting.

My college submitted my resume for me to various companies (I was required to write it as part of one of my classes).  One of the companies called me in and hired me on the first interview (I wasn't even looking for a job yet, I was about to leave on a vacation immediately after graduation, but the school wanted me to do at least one interview).  I walked out the door, was asked how it went, and went, "Um.  I think I have a job?"  (Even had a starting date set)

While I mean... yes, that could in some ways be considered job hunting, basically none of the work was done by me at all.  It just doesn't feel like an actual job hunt.  (Let's not get into a pedantic argument here, because while it can be called that, I'm pretty sure most of the people engaged in real job hunting wouldn't consider it such).

PS: My paycheck hasn't gone up in a couple of years, so there may be some actual job hunting coming up at some point as my bills have this strange tendency to go up even when the paycheck doesn't. :(
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I found it easier to find a job when you don't reek of desperation. 

For reals, when I was fresh out of school, it took quite a while to get a solid job, but once I had experience and knew that I had some worth to an employer, it was way easier/faster getting another.
  • edited May 2015
    /agree.

It's also easier when you already are in employment and you seek another vs. having quit beforehand and looking while you're unemployed. And I don't mean the stress factor but your chances at the interview. If they see you're currently in employment that's judged as a positive thing.

@Xenthos: You should look. If the US is in any way like Europe then your paycheck isn't going to go up, especially if it's your first job right out of education. Sad, but true. (And then companies complain about employees having no "loyalty" these days. Big surprise).
    Best way to get a raise is to get a new job!

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Yacsee said:

/agree.

It's also easier when you already are in employment and you seek another vs. having quit beforehand and looking while you're unemployed. And I don't mean the stress factor but your chances at the interview. If they see you're currently in employment that's judged as a positive thing.

@Xenthos: You should look. If the US is in any way like Europe then your paycheck isn't going to go up, especially if it's your first job right out of education. Sad, but true. (And then companies complain about employees having no "loyalty" these days. Big surprise).

I've actually had a couple of (significant) raises, but things slowed down a lot due to various company-specific issues.  Alas.  Not much anyone can do about that, but it is seeming like that's my only real choice if I want to pay the bills; I'd rather not pick up a second job. :P
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Agree with Shuyin. It's much easier to find a job when you already have a job. When you aren't currently employed, they might not ask you directly, but they will be wondering what's wrong with you. When you have a job, then it gives the appearance of ambition and looking for opportunity. They know you are already hireable off the bat because someone has hired you and not fired you. The hardest part of any job is actually getting the job.

Entry level jobs, I've found, are actually much harder to get than ones that require specific experience levels, even when those jobs are much fewer in number. Having spent the past three years grinding through the lower paying positions just to get the opportunity to be where I am now actually opens a million doors. Have to pay your dues, which sometimes means the drudge of endlessly hunting for the right entry level peon job. 

I was a waiter, a bartender, and a retail sales associate from 18 to 23 before I found the right company and the right position to move up in. 
  • Law school is not worth it. Just going to put it out there. 

But I have my own firm, so I guess I have that going for me.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My job finding process is totally different, but still takes a long time to go from one to the next.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • The IT in my office is just rubbish. They've gone from using IE6 on a Windows XP machine to IE8 accessed via Citrix from the same Windows XP machine.

They've also upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2013 via Citrix but everything's fuzzy (some kind of image compression? I don't know Citrix) and it's given me a headache.

Why can't I have a decent computer?
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    So part of my promotion requires mandatory training. Part of that training is learning about the role I used to do. 

The problem is I wrote the new hire training for my previous role, so it's basically someone reading back to me the thing I wrote and me trying really hard to not say, "You're doing it wrong, you're doing it wrong, you're doing it wrong."

And the guy across from me is wearing a pocket square. In an office. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Classy as hell!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Dys said:

The IT in my office is just rubbish. They've gone from using IE6 on a Windows XP machine to IE8 accessed via Citrix from the same Windows XP machine.

They've also upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2013 via Citrix but everything's fuzzy (some kind of image compression? I don't know Citrix) and it's given me a headache.

Why can't I have a decent computer?

Probably using a more limited colour palette (it's one of the settings in Citrix that seems to be on by default for some reason, 16-bit mode or whatever), which turns everything fuzzy / pixelated and also screws with how the colours are displayed (they look terrible).
  • Kids these days are so lazy. I constantly hear, 'this is so much work! No one can do this without a calculator!' ...Sweetie, people have been doing this without a calculator for thousands of years. You can deal with it for an hour. I should just tell them that they can use a calculator to solve any problem that I can't work out by hand myself. Then feast on their disappointment.

I feel so evil this morning.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • edited May 2015
    I worked for a year in a middle school.  Kids were using graphing calculators to add and subtract single digit numbers.   Negative numbers were out of the question.

America's education system is garbage.  

BTW, you're not evil.  You need to tell more off-color and offensive dark jokes to really make them think that.  Remember, dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it.

Stangmar - Retired

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I use calculators for easy sums, but, mostly because I get easy sums wrong. All the time. Sigh. I'm intelligent. But numbers.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited May 2015
    After I graduated college, I got lazy and stopped wanting to think to do simple math. This behaviour has been enabled by always having my phone in hand.
    End of course stuff is stressful, I'm in family-situation limbo, and I don't feel very well. Meh.
  • edited May 2015
    Flooding oh my! Basement is holding an inch of water and no end insight. The sleet/snow was awesome but meh. My yard can't take anymore! About the only thing good is the Pawnee is a dry creek, and last year the South Platte didn't make it into the town, even though we went 4 or 5 days on a no flush order. Ick.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • Wait, like Pawnee, Indiana? :D