General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    They did say no. :(
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    That's lame. Local company or chain?

• Sylandra said:
    Nienla said:

Sylandra said:
    Dammit. Roommate thinks she found a bed bug in her room. I looked. It looks like a bed bug.

When will the nightmare end?!
    Yeah. I'd get that checked out ASAP. That's a move-out worthy scenario.

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is terrible advice to anyone with bed bugs. They are notorious for following people on luggage, clothes, furniture, etc. You just wind up infesting an entirely new place.

Also moving in Miami when you're 3 broke grad students is a royal bitch. You have no idea how long it took to find this place.

Hindsight: don't move anywhere in south Florida where your landlord refuses to handle pest control.
    Oh, I'm aware. It's just good to know in advance whether or not you're going to have to start saving up for new stuff. Getting an answer immediately is a good thing in this kind of scenario.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I think we ended up bug bombing twice, heat treating the bed/bedding five or six times, and treating everything with diatomaceous earth for two or three weeks to get rid of my bed bug problem. It was a combination of the earth and letting the mattress live out in the Arizona sun that finally did it.
  • edited February 2016
    Sylandra said:
    Nienla said:

Sylandra said:
    Dammit. Roommate thinks she found a bed bug in her room. I looked. It looks like a bed bug.

When will the nightmare end?!
    Yeah. I'd get that checked out ASAP. That's a move-out worthy scenario.

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is terrible advice to anyone with bed bugs. They are notorious for following people on luggage, clothes, furniture, etc. You just wind up infesting an entirely new place.

Also moving in Miami when you're 3 broke grad students is a royal bitch. You have no idea how long it took to find this place.

Hindsight: don't move anywhere in south Florida where your landlord refuses to handle pest control.
    Doesn't your department have an internal listserve for grad students (your department specifically; and grad students campus wide) with housing advice (apartments to co-rent, sublet and such) and constant yard sales (leaving grad students selling to incoming grad students)? 

If not, check the science department. Specifically the team of people that handle incoming students and grant disbursments.  

Edit: Granted this is tangential to your problem at the moment; but the university should also have a "legal aide for students with housing issues" as well. Doubly so if there is an attached law school. 
    edited February 2016
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha wouldn't that be nice. No. Miami real estate is an evil creature.

Edit: @Tarkenton, it's a chain. What's hilarious is other people in other places have had such a better experience with the chain than I have. I think it's one of those regional things, where certain areas are friendlier than others by default, and others are more brusque.

Edit2: At this point I am just being a sassypants about the whole thing. When I called the lady was all snippy like "well, you do know that the only way to guarantee bed bugs don't come back is to treat the entire building," and I said, "Yes but we don't have the income to pay for an entire building's worth, as our landlord thinks this isn't his problem, plus when you have a duplex there's an entire other half of the building that you can't account for. So if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars, thanks, I'll be doing so when I have a guarantee this won't be happening again." She paused then said, "That's unfortunate," and I said yes. Yes it is.

Edit3: I'm only in Miami one more year anyway. So there is that.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Wow. I'm floored you don't have those resources. Good luck. 
    Have you talked to many grad students? It's pretty common to be fending for yourself in the wild.
    Daraius said:
  • edited February 2016
    Many. Arguably exclusively:/ Been to several universities and conferences. East and West coast. Fighting against the world is ... Well the true grad school experience. That and being slave labor. Something is wrong somewhere. There is a law school at the University of Miami. Also there should be a grad student government. Knock on some doors makes some calls. Good luck.
  • edited February 2016
    I am cursed to have (what other people would call) bad experiences at restaurants forever, it seems. Past two times. Order gets screwed up something. And I'm chill about it, I mean, I don't stress. And both times they've been like here have this appetizer free, to which my friend's brother was like "cool, for us, not cool for you, but hey free food". That being said, I'm just like meh. Whatevs. As long as I get my food in the end, I don't really care? And I got take-out and it's a burger with onion rings, cheese, and BBQ pulled pork piled on it. This thing is glorious. The dissatisfaction is that the past weekend has been an experiment in Murphy's Law. And we thought it was over. But nope. Because this happened. Oh well, hopefully we're out of the woods now.

(Also grad school seems like it's own special netherworldly place. Because I live with a grad student and I do not envy any of the things I see. So, kudos for you for going through grad school, cause that's impressive.)
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • I hate having bad experiences in restaurants. It's definitely high on the list of FWPs.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited February 2016
    @Sylandra

Bed bugs are serious and most states treat them as serious. In most states the Landlord can't just refuse to treat bedbugs, it's considered a health code violation when it's a rental property. Obviously there's a question of liability (I'm not sure if you said it was your fault or if they came with the building), and Florida's tenet laws does exclude duplexes so you may have to do some research to find out what your rights are. 

Most people are afraid to confront landlords because they are tenants, and think the landlord trumps them because they own the property. Don't think this way, tenants rights are not something a landlord can just roll a bus over. I'd look into Florida's laws on pest control in duplexes. Private landlords, as a general rule of thumb, are idiots. It's one thing to go up against a major company that owns high rises, it's usually a whole different story when it's a private owner. I'm about 98% sure you can find some healthcode violation if you really cared to be a bitch about it.

edit: It's entirely possible you'll be SOL, depending how the length of time from when you moved in to when you reported the bedbugs, specific state laws, duplex exemptions, etc etc etc, but it never hurts to research. 
  • edited February 2016
    Celina said:
    @Sylandra

Bed bugs are serious and most states treat them as serious. In most states the Landlord can't just refuse to treat bedbugs, it's considered a health code violation when it's a rental property. Obviously there's a question of liability (I'm not sure if you said it was your fault or if they came with the building), and Florida's tenet laws does exclude duplexes so you may have to do some research to find out what your rights are. 

Most people are afraid to confront landlords because they are tenants, and think the landlord trumps them because they own the property. Don't think this way, tenants rights are not something a landlord can just roll a bus over. I'd look into Florida's laws on pest control in duplexes.
    Liked so hard I broke my mouse. 

(not really) 

But sincerely most states have a statue that if the landlord does not make necessary and essential repairs (to restore function or habitation) in a timely manner the tenant can legally not pay rent.  Also every landlord-tenant lease is based on the tenant's "implied covenant of quiet enjoyment of the rental property" look it up. It is powerful. Get in contact with your rent board.  

In addition in California for example you can legally argue against paying exorbitant late fees for rent.  The reason is complex however and not for novices.  
    It's also illegal in pretty much every state for him to re rent the place after you leave if there are bedbugs still present, so he has to do something about it eventually. 
    Celina said:
    @Sylandra

Most people are afraid to confront landlords because they are tenants, and think the landlord trumps them because they own the property. Don't think this way, tenants rights are not something a landlord can just roll a bus over. I'd look into Florida's laws on pest control in duplexes. Private landlords, as a general rule of thumb, are idiots. It's one thing to go up against a major company that owns high rises, it's usually a whole different story when it's a private owner. I'm about 98% sure you can find some healthcode violation if you really cared to be a bitch about it.

edit: It's entirely possible you'll be SOL, depending how the length of time from when you moved in to when you reported the bedbugs, specific state laws, duplex exemptions, etc etc etc, but it never hurts to research. 
    Yeah, I glanced at the law and was disappointed to learn duplexes were the exception to the rule. You're absolutely right though. It boggles my mind that he doesn't think this is a big deal, when it affects two units he'll have to rent elsewhere sooner or later.

I really cannot confirm if the bugs were here before I came or not. He doesn't do pest control, I know that much. Bugs often travel by luggage in airports, and all three of us have been flying a good deal as none of us are native to Miami. It started out in my area of the building this fall, so I'm guessing I got it while traveling abroad and carried it back with me, or they were just chilling in my bedroom waiting for me to arrive. No one I stayed with beforehand has given me any reason to believe I picked it up from them, and the landlord says (though I think this is a load of shit) that "we've never had any problem with bugs at your property until now." Either way you can't actually prove how bed bugs get anywhere, though landlords I hear are very good at pushing the blame on tenants in these situations.

So I'm looking into options. The people I live with are kind of 'eh' about the situation and don't seem to think it's as serious, but that's possibly because I'm the one who brought furniture etc and has the most to lose out of this. Already tossed a lot of clothes and sheets, so, boo. :(
    Daraius said:
  • I'm sick. I hate being sick.

Embracing the tried and true method of "I am not thinking about this I am not thinking about this I am not thinking about this" as another bug inspection is scheduled. Lord help my little anxiety-ridden body.
    Daraius said:
  • Ugh. Sick. Headaches. Ugh!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I just wanna go a day without power outages. People should learn to drive without taking down power lines.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Trying to quest, but lag r_r

• Comcast, plz.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'm renaming Tuesday to 10 Hour Tuesday. Why is it always Tuesday?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Work and life conspiring against me...let me game god damn you!!

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Ok, I'm extremely new to this makeup thing and all that, but I'm pretty sure eye makeup isn't supposed to burn like hellfire when you remove it. Ow. 
  • Maybe, you are reacting to one of the ingredients in the remover. I would try one for sensitive skin. My skin is very fickle so it took me a while as well until I found one that I could actually use.

On that note: I have only just recently learned how to apply mascara without being in danger of stabbing me in the eye. I still cannot use eyeliner without looking like a panda though.

Protip: Don't remove your makeup with sandpaper.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Or a dremel.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Aerdureth said:
    Maybe, you are reacting to one of the ingredients in the remover. I would try one for sensitive skin. My skin is very fickle so it took me a while as well until I found one that I could actually use.

On that note: I have only just recently learned how to apply mascara without being in danger of stabbing me in the eye. I still cannot use eyeliner without looking like a panda though.

That's probably it. My skin has a tendency to whine about anything with even the slightest chance of being irritating. :( Dang.
    Can you baby oil to remove it if you need something gentle. 
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Moisturiser is also very helpful for removing eye-makeup.