Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• Soothing Steam seems to be really really expensive in shops. Anyone want to report in on why? Is this just due to it taking a long time to make, or is it expensive in terms of ingredient costs too? Purity wafers are also expensive, but to a lesser degree.

For Estarra/other designers: Will steam work like current smokables, in that you get 10 puffs out of each unit?
  • edited September 2014
    The main reason steam is expensive is that each steam takes five herbs to make, while each wafer takes either one or half a herb to make (each batch makes five, or ten with the spatula). You have to remember that each steam can be used between ten and thirty times though, so that makes up for the cost.
  • Iytha said:
    For Estarra/other designers: Will steam work like current smokables, in that you get 10 puffs out of each unit?
    Unless something comes up necessitating a change (which I anticipate to be a highly unlikely event), steam will work identically to existing smoking cures in this respect.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

• Iytha said:
    Soothing Steam seems to be really really expensive in shops. Anyone want to report in on why? Is this just due to it taking a long time to make, or is it expensive in terms of ingredient costs too? Purity wafers are also expensive, but to a lesser degree.

It is that coupled with the adverage cost of an herb driving some to nearly all of the cures to a higher cost. This has been brought up with no comment from the admin.

One result of this is the likely result that some areas may cost more to hunt in then you pull out. In the same way that a decade ago a few creatures which do rapid paralysis in Achaea weren't cost effective to hunt due to the high cost of bloodroot.

Another issue which I don't believe has been mentioned is that another result of consolidating cures is rift size. You'll need to restock cures much more often, run the risk of running out more often, and need to find a supplier more often. Hopefully, the size of rifts for the four cures will be increased.
  • Er, I think I did comment on the cost. Anyway, the recipes were developed by players! Again, I think prices will stabilize as people get used to it, but this is in such an early stage that we aren't going to jump the gun in expanding rift size or growth for certain herbs or any of that right now. Just let us get it out and see it in action!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    We received the lucidity slush balance recovery line, is it possible to get an example of it curing epilepsy? 

Is it just going to be a normal sip line or will it be something else entirely? Thanks!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited September 2014
    It'll be a normal sip line and the same cure line. So, (going from memory),

You take a drink of lucidity slush potion.
    [epilepsy cure line here]
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Ieptix said:
    It'll be a normal sip line and the same cure line. So, (going from memory),

You take a drink of lucidity slush potion.
    [epilepsy cure line here]
    I'd say probably "from a <insert vial type here> vial"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Epilepsy is now live! Cure is lucidity slush. Feedback welcome!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Tried it a few times, with various means of delivering epi, it works. As is though, until other afflictions are on the same cure so you can stack, I can't really offer much else.

Just as an extra, it's still curable by focus mind and anything that would cure random/all afflictions. This isn't a "Are you removing these?" hint, just how the mechanic works alongside slush.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited September 2014
    Lucidity slush seems to have a 1.5 second balance time, is that correct?

20:52:51.989 You take a drink of lucidity slush from a glowing ruby vial.

20:52:53.718 You may drink more lucidity slush potion.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Vadi, will m&m eventually be converted over totally to the new system?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Daganev said:

Lucidity slush seems to have a 1.5 second balance time, is that correct?

20:52:51.989 You take a drink of lucidity slush from a glowing ruby vial.

20:52:53.718 You may drink more lucidity slush potion.

For now, yes. It's the same as the base herb balance. This will undoubtedly change in the future as more affs get converted and we start making balance adjustments, of course.
  • Everiine said:
    Vadi, will m&m eventually be converted over totally to the new system?
    m&m will have support for the new system as it is implemented side by side, while always keeping the old one around. A while after admins completely delete the old system for good will that go away. Until then, you'll be able to toggle cures between the old and new systems.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    You are amazing. :D
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • m&m update for epilepsy overhaul curing is now available.
  • Saesh said:
    While I understand the concerns (I really do), we can't halt progress for fear of immediate inconveniences. It doesn't mean they aren't valid, they absolutely are. It just means we can't allow the transition period to scare us off from doing new things. Of all the players, the existing PKers usually have the easiest time transitioning to new mechanics. I think we will be just fine.
    The big thing is giving a heads up. Amazingly enough, and for the first time ever that I remember, this was given in case of overhaul and epilepsy, which for me at least allowed to get ready.
  • For the latest announcement, is Paranoia being cured by Lucidity slush now, and therefore does not work with firstaid, or is it only removing dizziness etc.?
  • I forgot to mention the cure in my post. It will be cured by lucidity, yes. News post is now edited.
  • I'd really prefer if these minor changes to each affliction were presented all at once or in sets, rather than each at a time. In the current setup, it seems we are having to update our curing systems each week to comply with a new affliction changed, and it would be much more reasonable to simply change a batch in our curing all at once.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Arcanis said:
    I'd really prefer if these minor changes to each affliction were presented all at once or in sets, rather than each at a time. In the current setup, it seems we are having to update our curing systems each week to comply with a new affliction changed, and it would be much more reasonable to simply change a batch in our curing all at once.
    That's...preferable. 
  • Concerns:
    Dizziness from deafness is going to be replaced with paranoia. While minor, dizziness does occasionally help bards stop people from fleeing, which is a big part of bardic combat. Also, paranoia does not make much sense from a thematic perspective. Maybe consider replacing the Deafness->Dizziness mechanic with something else? Clumsiness? Confusion? Prone?

Questions:
    For abilities that give random afflictions, how will proportions be handled? For example, would a theoretical example power that did 33% chance of dizziness, 33% chance of vertigo and a 33% chance of confusion turn into 66% chance of paranoia and 33% chance of confusion, or 50% of each?
  • Dizziness from deafness doesn't have much of an impact in battle, its loss will not be noticed much. Paranoia from deafness certainly isn't thematic, yes, but the deaf-proc affliction is, by nature of its mechanic, unreliable at best and pretty much never capitalized on because the bard doesn't know when it'll tick, and neither dizziness nor paranoia contributes to a bard kill strategy. I don't think there's any need, nor reason, nor impact, to having deafness proc any affliction at all anyway. The best case scenario is that it acts as a focus mind filler and prevents the user from curing something more with more impact, like, say, stupidity.

The question here should be, do bards really need that extra, unreliable affliction from a deafness proc? Will its removal affect bard combat at all? The answer to both, I think, is no. If the theme of paranoia is a problem, then I'd say just delete it. If the bards DO need an extra affliction, change it from being an unreliable, random proc, and make its application both predictable and visible to the bard, so that they can actually make use of it. Otherwise, its existence will be as good as none anyway. Either way, it's probably a good candidate for an October envoy report.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Iytha said:
    Concerns:
    Dizziness from deafness is going to be replaced with paranoia. While minor, dizziness does occasionally help bards stop people from fleeing, which is a big part of bardic combat. Also, paranoia does not make much sense from a thematic perspective. Maybe consider replacing the Deafness->Dizziness mechanic with something else? Clumsiness? Confusion? Prone?

Questions:
    For abilities that give random afflictions, how will proportions be handled? For example, would a theoretical example power that did 33% chance of dizziness, 33% chance of vertigo and a 33% chance of confusion turn into 66% chance of paranoia and 33% chance of confusion, or 50% of each?
    dizziness from deafness only happens IF you don't have truehearing and it's unlikely someone fighting a bard is deaf without truehearing, since you can't make yourself deaf without truehearing.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Paranoia from drunkenness would be a bit weird thematically too, instead of dizziness.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Synkarin said:
    Iytha said:
    Concerns:

Questions:
    dizziness from deafness only happens IF you don't have truehearing and it's unlikely someone fighting a bard is deaf without truehearing, since you can't make yourself deaf without truehearing.
    I've had a weird issue where I've logged in deaf several times, and I sure as heck didn't log out with normal deafness.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited September 2014
    Question: Which salves/elixirs are you looking to get rid of? I'm relatively certain about these:

a melancholic purgative
    a sanguine purgative
    a phlegmatic purgative
    a choleric purgative
    liniment salve
    a mending salve

How about these:

a regeneration salve
    an antidote potion
    a potion of allheale

I'm assuming these will remain due to their defensive nature:

a love potion
    a potion of frost
    quicksilver
    a potion of fire
    a potion of galvanism
    elixir vitae

I'm also assuming all oils and perfumes will stick around.