Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Drakius said:
    I had a dream that someone made Epic Rap Battles of History for Lusternia. It was....something
    Epic Rap Battles of Lusternia...

Rowena Nightshade
    VERSUS
    Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart...

BEGIN

• I was let down by the statue of Gorgaliel within the Shallamurine Cathedral. When I first noticed it, I thought to myself "oh my god...a depiction of what Gorgulu looked like before the taint! When he was actually considered sapient!", I probe it and...

The visage of an austere man of middle years has been crafted with loving detail into this solid
    white marble statue. The stone seems to flow with an elegance that is as natural as breathing, so
    lifelike as if it were ready to move at any moment. His head bowed and his hands cupped as if
    praying for supplication, the statue exudes a profound sense of something ancient and undefinable.
    It weighs about 2000 pounds.

Really? :( . That's it? No description of face structure, his height, what he's wearing? Heck I'd even take a look in his eye. The other statues seem more defining of the Supernals. For example, I found Baalphegar's rather intriuging.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Exactly how I feel about the statue of Loboshi in the monastery.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2014
    The Nine/Avechna vs the Soulless was one I was shouting in the shower, time ago.
    Unrelated, I was told by someone previously that covens, squads, ships, and GTS are all in-game in-character channels. But I've been seeing a lot of people using them as OOC channels.

Have/had I heard wrong?
    edited December 2014
    Nope. you haven't. The only possibly OOC channel among those would be squads, assuming that all members of that squad are on board.... but not really. Ships and GTS are absolutely IC channels and it really really bothers me to have even very brief 'necessary' spurts of ooc communication across these and other IC channels (like IC clans).

This is how it works with clans, incidentally, though OOC clans are a more time-honored tradition. The official policy for it is that all clans are IC. If everyone who is a member is aware and doesn't mind, it's usually not a big deal - in the same way that if all members of the clan are comfortable with it, most of the language rules are relaxed.

Official combat clans (like Seren's, SEG) are usually also IC, for all the echoing that goes on  during combat. This is why you should go for callouts that are as reasonable for someone to shout in the middle of battle as possible. More like "Sondayga has been sapped in the trees above amid flowering green!" instead of "Sondayga has been sapped in the trees of v4784!" where you can help it. 

While the latter may be more immediately useful (especially in some areas), it's very easy with modern systems/clients to catch unique rooms from such a uniform call and do anything you need with it on your end instead of spamming a clan used by so many players with too much OOC.
  • I will often tell people once I setup a squad that I treat it as OOC. Generally Mag squads channels will be OOC with IC discussions being undertaken as per normal conversations. The Ur'Guard's GTS is IC but we do have a seperate clan that is used for OOC discussions.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

Thanks for the confusion clear-up and confirmation. More relevant: if I am invited into a group (squad, coven) where OOC is being used and I wish to keep IC, should I just leave the group even if the group is necessary for some reason or is there a help file I can point out to show that it's 100% IC? Would that be this from HELP OOC:

Always stay in character (IC) on channels - you are playing the role
    of a person in a magical world called Lusternia. Talk about real life,
    other muds, or your favorite singer - this should all be done outside
    the game or, if you
    must, use TELLS.

?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Selenity said:
    Thanks for the confusion clear-up and confirmation. More relevant: if I am invited into a group (squad, coven) where OOC is being used and I wish to keep IC, should I just leave the group even if the group is necessary for some reason or is there a help file I can point out to show that it's 100% IC? Would that be this from HELP OOC:

the game or, if you
    must, use TELLS.

?
    You can always ask them to keep things IC. I've always found people respect it when you ask (unless you're in their hunting squad or private clan maybe!)

Yeah, anything that is pretty much necessary should be IC.
    Lavinya said:
    Selenity said:

the game or, if you
    must, use TELLS.

?
    You can always ask them to keep things IC. I've always found people respect it when you ask (unless you're in their hunting squad or private clan maybe!)
    Oh no, with personal clans I know some (read: many) are OOC. I was just worried about the other ones. I'll keep that in mind to just ask instead of awkward-penguin-ly keeping quiet. Thanks. :D
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2014
    Enyalida said:
    i endorse having org ooc clans, so much. It helps tremendously for planning events and talking about overarching lore in a way any given character might not agree with/know/understand, which is a huge boon for designing new concepts - or retooling/understanding old ones as a player.
    I'd like that, cuz heaven knows I've got questions, but from what I've gathered from Quotes there's a little more imbicillery than I can handle on Halli's OOC clan(s?).  :(
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Daraius said:

Enyalida said:

i endorse having org ooc clans, so much. It helps tremendously for planning events and talking about overarching lore in a way any given character might not agree with/know/understand, which is a huge boon for designing new concepts - or retooling/understanding old ones as a player.

I'd like that, cuz heaven knows I've got questions, but from what I've gathered from Quotes there's a little more imbicillery than I can handle on Halli's OOC clan(s?).  :(

You're just too school for cool.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Day three, still waiting. If not for the amazing bouts of RP and some time spent in the World Library reading alongside Weeky Peedia, I would have lost the will to continue waiting by now.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Kurut said:
    Day three, still waiting. If not for the amazing bouts of RP and some time spent in the World Library reading alongside Weeky Peedia, I would have lost the will to continue waiting by now.
    Speaking from an outsider perspective in this...

Didn't you create an eaf?

A delay does seem more than appropriate when trying to join a Forest.
  • Serenwilde does this to basically *anyone* who joins, though.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Marcella said:
    Serenwilde does this to basically *anyone* who joins, though.
    Ah.  Even so, in this case it seems more reasonable. :P

For some reason, I've never really felt any desire to attempt a move to Serenwilde.
  • She let Avurekhos murder her eaf to death, so.
  • I did make an eaf (Though I killed no fae to make it, and was being admin-nudged to do the part that actually made it)

But I also let Avurekhos kill it for good, and he said he would return it to the Well of Souls

Speaking on the whole eaf thing, it's amusing that Glomdoring would enemy people for it while still having Rowena Nightshade around (and even glorifying her). When the taint came, she gleefully slaughtered any fae she could.

The fae, however, are resistant to the Almighty Presence, and we travel
    through the rent in the earth that once was the Great Ravenwood, and
    pass into the ethereal realm, claiming all that the Almighty touches. As
    I squeeze the essence from the pixies and willowisps, from the sylphs
    and wood nymphs, and feed my ravenous Master, I cannot help but feel
    bemused that once I protected these weak and pathetic beings. They cry
    at me, "Dor glom! Dor glom!" That means "have mercy upon us" in the
    tongue of the fae. I answer back, "Fai glomdoring!" That means "I have
    no mercy."

They even used what she said to them as some sort of battlecry.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • Yes, the Glomdoring claims all the fae for their own, through (OOCly) nefarious and morally questionable means. The Glomdoring's actions (OOCly) are more than suspect - to be strictly speaking, the Glomdoring does little more than enslave them and mutilate them as well. Rowena, for one, was most definitely horribly twisted by the taint, especially in that specific paragraph, which was pretty much right after Gloriana became Glomdoring. Her "master" in that paragraph was Kethuru, when he was awakened and aware and reaching out to the PMP.

That's exactly why Serenwilde and Glomdoring have been enemies from since Glomdoring ceased to be Gloriana.

However, the Glomdoring is now no longer tainted, there were, after all, centuries of IC storyline that changed Glomdoring's taint into the Wyrd. The twisted mindset of the tainted Glomdoring has also evolved into a more fanatical, insistent belief in their own right than just mutilation and torture of the fae that Rowena did. Heck, the whole forest was pretty much re-made from the ground up by Viravain once. From Serenwilde and Celest's point of view, Glomdoring is probably still an abomination to the natural order, but in Glomdoring's point of view, they have never done any wrong to the fae - only to guide them to where they belong, and always will belong, and should belong. If anything, the Glomdoring is probably more fanatical than Serenwilde in "protecting" the fae.

This has also been established not just through admin RP, but through the same IC centuries of player RP - through the events that led to the Xion Initiative and the branding of Maeve. Glomdoring's players have consistently RP'd their stance - this is not a whimsical, one-off, magical ignoring of the lore. The stance that Glomdoring protects fae (and will most willingly enemy and kill people for hurting it) is part of the org's identity from since before I made Lerad. Kurut has every reason to be self-righteous, but ICly, if Glomdoring failed to enemy people who created eafs, then it would most certainly be a hypocritical act.

We've killed our share of fae (and worse) too, that's not the  point!

/forumrp
  • edited December 2014
    Right, but when you -really- get down to it, eafs are no different than faelings. The only differences are their appearances and how they were made.

One was made with dead fae, the other was made by Elfen bestiality (both pretty abominable actions, I'll admit).

Kurut would never say this IC, but I think OOC that the whole situation stinks.

EDIT: Unless I'm misinformed, and the fae are actually shards
    You aren't in that respect, but fae also aren't beasts

. Heck, if you want to RP this conversation out with me IC, please do. @Enya is fairly gruff, especially to outsiders, but has a pretty good grasp of the nature of the fae (At least, I think so) and a REALLY good grasp on why Serenwilde does a lot of the things it does.
  • I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logic behind the enemying. I mean... they don't enemy people for having faeling children. They don't enemy mags who do their epic quest (Kelpies are fae too, you know. And Mag mutates them)
  • Yeah, when you really get down to it... from an OOC point of view. From an IC point of view, faeling are cute little brothers and sisters in arms while the eaf are horribly mutilated and forced into never-ending living hell.

Actually, that is also arguable even from an OOC point of view, since Lusternia is a world with plenty of furries, "bestiality" as a concept is already fairly, uhh, let's say... not-so-bad? Also, appearances are everything. Look at a happy-go-lucky faeling flitting around and look at those horrible, sad, bleeding eafs. From an OOC point of view, I should be calling the SPCA on Kurut now.

In all seriousness, ICly, the Glomdoring certainly does not regard the faeling and the eaf as anything resembling similar. The faeling are a changeling race, created as a totally new race between two different racial parents. (Usually, the child is just one or the other of the parents' races) This could even be seen as a "miracle" - the faeling are the only known changeling race, the next closest are the Viscanti. The eaf, however, were weaponized fae - and they were weaponized through experiments. I would be... very surprised if any org with Glomdoring or Serenwilde's history would look at an eaf and say, "Oh, hey, they're one and the same! Heehaw!"

@Lerad I missed your post! Yeah, it's one of the great things about Glom, and I find it uber interesting when played well, which is usually is. For a lot of reasons, I think Serenwilde has been be really slow (all these years later even) to adapt to the Glom RP's evolution, much to our detriment and the detriment of the game. 
This discussion has been closed.