Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• Synkarin said:
    I wasn't so lucky

:(

I hate 'run or die' tactics

Does that include timed insta-kills or basic lock-down/strips? Because I feel timed insta-kills are relatively counterable
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Is it a 'run or die' tactic, meaning your only option is to run or you're dead?

If the answer is 'no' then no, that doesn't include that

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    While timed instas are cheesy and most are just PK training wheels, and I think we'd be better off to just get rid of them all, you can usually escape or prevent them. Web inquisition, blind for chasm, etc etc.

"Run or die," are things like inquisition that have no cure or counter. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I do not think that you meant to state that web stops inquisition.
    Celina said:

While timed instas are cheesy and most are just PK training wheels, and I think we'd be better off to just get rid of them all, you can usually escape or prevent them. Web inquisition, blind for chasm, etc etc.

"Run or die," are things like inquisition that have no cure or counter. 
    Web stops judge. MY BAD.
  • I wouldnt mind giving geos another option other than Chasm, but their kit is basically built around "Keep them there" for it.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    So apparently, if Marilynth is out, you can't go about completing stage one of the Celest epic quest. Lanikai refuses to give you the shrimp for her seahorse. 

You greet Lanikai the Sea Hag with a sincere smile.
    Lanikai the Sea Hag says, "Princess Marilynth cleans the Sea of Despair. Perhaps it is impossible to 
    clean it completely of the taint, but for now the waters are clearer."
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    edited October 2015
    Arcanis said:
    I wouldnt mind giving geos another option other than Chasm, but their kit is basically built around "Keep them there" for it.
    What. Chasm is all but entirely non viable 1v1 against people who know what it is and how to stop it. Nothing geos have makes it viable. It's strictly a cheese kill for groups or people who don't know how to counter it. One of the best, I might add, but that's another story. 

edit: it used to be when walls and barrier made a super chasm fortress, you can always escape one or the other now since they no longer work together
  • Celina said:
    Arcanis said:
    I wouldnt mind giving geos another option other than Chasm, but their kit is basically built around "Keep them there" for it.
    What. Chasm is all but entirely non viable 1v1 against people who know what it is and how to stop it. Nothing geos have makes it viable. It's strictly a cheese kill for groups or people who don't know how to counter it. One of the best, I might add, but that's another story. 

edit: it used to be when walls and barrier made a super chasm fortress, you can always escape one or the other now since they no longer work together

It's true, those that know how to stay cool under combat can easily counter chasm, but it really comes down to the class the victim is as well as what tactic they are using. In these situations, it is good to interpret what your target's counter-measure is. If they go for the "Push the geo out" route, you can counter that by going with wall-chasm. If they go for the "run like hell", you can counter that with Barrier-chasm.

That leaves the blindness route, which comes down to resilience and stroke of luck. A good geo will time their chasm right when the target cant hit back, followed by meld stun hitting and the lovely animate-dagger with mantakaya slowing them down. The only surefire counter for Chasm are abilities that give blindness, such as Night Scourge, which can be cast without fail, as well as Lovers effect, such as with Tarot.

The idea for Geo melds is built around "locking the target in". From rubble that slows exiting movement, to stonewalls that are basically super icewalls, to tremors and lodestone to keep them prone and stunned. There is even gunk from their staff, which goes unused, which gives an additional 'limping out of room' type effect. It's rather the opposite of Aquamelds which seek to push people away/around.
  • Sleep stops chasm, right?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The mud affliction also prevents climbing over rubble.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Right, sleep, peace, blind, lovers all stop chasm.

What class or person is limited to 'move the geo out' or 'get the hell out.' and not both of these? There are tons of ways around chasm, and it's really never going to be viable against anyone 1v1, anymore than judge is. This argument sounds awfully familiar to the 'dysbaric pressure is viable if people can't handle certain illusions' argument. Sure, you can kill people with it, but 99% of the time, it's not because of anything clever you did, but more what they didn't do.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    A while back, many timed instakills were made to stop the moment you were put to sleep when in the past, it only stopped if you were asleep at the completion tick, giving time for meta wake to help.

Timed instakills took a large hit then.
    My favorite counter to chasm was always bard deathsong, 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited October 2015
    Which I am honestly very supportive of. I really do think timed instakills should require a lot of setup to pull off.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Ack, my splendors decayed while I was unable to get online. Time to spend some quality time with the enchanter's pentagram, I guess.  :-<
    Rivius said:
    Which I am honestly very supportive of. I really do think timed instakills should require a lot of setup to pull off.
    I don't mind them so much if they require SOME coordination that is more than "everyone whack so and so while Judger McJudge judges." Something akin to bard coordination, one has to watch earwort, but more involved and not easy. 
  • Admittedly Chasm -does- require Taint in the room, which is in a way a pre-requisite and denies chasming on elemental/ethereal/enemy melds.

I honestly wouldnt mind Geos getting something more interesting. I always pictured a concept of a kill akin to fleshstone. Medusa them all
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited October 2015
    Well given how there's no such thing as locks in lusternia, especially for classes with timed instakills, those lengthy timed instakills are unfortunately relegated to group combat and cheese.

If people are serious about timed instakills 1v1, then they more thorough prerequisites but should also be way faster if you meet them.
    The last time I tried to jump into a group of Mags, the end result was being chased around while someone tried to chasm me over and over and over. THey're used more as an "I WIN" to shut down PK rather than make PK interesting. 

I think the most deaths I have to anyone is actually Aerys because she would always jsut spam timed instas in every single engagement. 
  • Conflicts with Celest are always inquisition and Judgement, and I do wish Inquisition at the least took more skill than to wait for a flashy message of when a white glow surrounds the target. Now that shackles has been added, judgement just gets spammed in almost every situation. Im not sure if this from laziness and hopeful thinking that someone would fall for it, or if certain classes really cant see any other viable option (I do know that Celestine and Nihilist dont really have much for mana-pressure).
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You don't actually lose balance when casting the inqui chain spells on someone who isn't a valid target, last I checked. It just eats mana.
    edited October 2015
    BUT GUIS, SHACKLES WON'T BE A PROBLEM. 

It's not like anyone specifically predicted that shackles & judge/soulless would be a problem. And mentioned it in the report.

Thankfully, it'll be removed now because remember when the envoy responsible said if the issues were actually true they'd address it? I do too. Good times.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    So.....uh...the new overhaul artifact runes for damage types can't attach to jewelry?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • newp, slapped mine on my cloak of shifting hues. Woooommmmmp woooooommmmmmmp
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Weird. I couldn't attach it to a tiara, brooch, or choker, but it attached to my weapon.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    And you can attach them to clothes.
  • Shaddus said:
    So.....uh...the new overhaul artifact runes for damage types can't attach to jewelry?
    Yeah. I don't understand why it can't be but at least now we can have artifacted clothes?
  • Sleep, and lovers, both don't stop chasm. Right @Gero?
This discussion has been closed.