Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ushaara said:
    @Melali Sounded like @Falmiis is a Spiritsinger to me based on what Sylandra said, their ancestor spirit song thing can be used to freeze people.

I am PK inept but this makes sense to me based on my night message.

Krackenor did ring a few bells for me on day 2 after he chased after Kiradawea and me. It just seemed like a lot of aggression and certainty over a shaky "collusion" at best. He also didn't offer much useful information, as I recall. I'll hold off on voting until everyone gets to chime in.

Kiradawea said:
    So wait. Silvanus you're claiming to have investigative powers, vigilante powers and now a double vote as well?

Yeah no, I'm not buying it. You better be ready to explain yourself when we're done grilling Krackenor.
    @Silvanus is possibly a Jack of All Trades. Or he's intentionally trying to sow confusion and discord, which would be a bit odd.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    (Omg I'm sorry Melali, my bad. I didn't even realize I'd referred to you by feminine pronouns! I'm forgetful late at night and in the morning. :C )
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Ellowyn said:
    Krackenor said:
    Ellowyn said:
    Wow, finally something going right for us. Since Ayisdra was mafia, is that why there has been no death at the hands of mafia today? Also, remembering yesterday I'm looking at you @Krackenor, we lost our mayor and you were relentless in pursuing her. Why? Interesting about the role block, did nobody get role blocked yesterday? The funny thing about this theme is I don't even know if the hooded robed figures are playing for mafia or town.
    Relentless? Oh please...I made one post saying that her vote for a no lynch sounded scummy, and another when I killed her because she had fallen back to guilt tripping us into not voting for her. Two sentences is not not a relentless pursuit.
    I guess relentless was the wrong word.  You were really quite aggressive and now that it's been confirmed that Lavinya was telling the truth, you were actually quite rude (and wrong).

Anyway, I'm happy to vote for Krackenor but will hold my vote for now in the event a more urgent target comes up.

Again... Two posts, one pointing out that her suggestion was scummy (which others agreed with) and the other assuming her attempts at guilt tripping were just intended to throw us off mark. Wrong? Yes. Aggressive? I guess we hold different definitions of the word.
  • You executed Lavinya without giving her a chance to prove her daypower. I'm gonna go with Ellowyn's definition of aggressive here. -w-
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Who haven't we heard from?  @Cen, @Cyna, @Rolsand?
    Krackenor, you clearly used a Nihilisy power in a game where we know Lusternians compose the mafia faction. Your defense?
    Daraius said:
  • Okay, time for a (perhaps long) post...
  • My defense is such: have you SEEN Magnagora :D?! Night Vale feels very homey to me what with the abundance of bloodstone, secret cults, and mysteriously hooded figures. While I have no idea how I got here and do want to find my way home, I'm happy to look after and protect the small desert burg. Lavinya aside, apparently.
  • Also, @Sylandra , we know that A Lusternian composed ONE member of the mafia, not that all Lusternians are mafia.
  • Ellowyn said:
    With Ayisdra's death being the only one, it's a shame that we don't get any input on how he died exactly.  We can either assume it's the serial killer (although there was no hatchet, so perhaps this is unlikely) or a vigilante kill.
    We did get some input, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it:
    Ieptix said:
    Next to the body was a copy of J.R.R. Tolkien's young adult romance novel, The Silmarillion
    , in hardcover, seemingly discarded.
    Perhaps something related to the Nightvale Public Library? One of the librarians, or the faceless spectre?

Ellowyn said:
    Sylandra admitted to being role blocked last night - which does put a bad light on her, but why admit to it straight away?  This makes me think she is potentially telling the truth, but if both mafia and SK were blocked last night, then I have to wonder how many people can be blocked any one night.  Falmiis said he is the role blocker (thereby backing up Sylandra's claim and vice versa) and if he is town, perhaps mafia also have a role blocker (could be that aeon thing) and they role blocked the serial killer.

We already "know" what the mafia did last night; Ayisdra poisoned Ushaara. Sure, it isn't confirmed yet, but it would be an odd (and obvious) thing to lie about, so for now I'll put it in the semi-confirmed column.

It has also been touched on, but let's not assume that all Lusternians are members of the mafia, nor that all members of the mafia are Lusternian. I very much doubt the former is true, although I can kinda see the latter being true (not counting third-party, i.e. SK et al).

At the moment, I am leaning in the direction of Krackenor. He was extremely quick on the kill on Lavinya, even when there wasn't all that much at all to point in her direction. Yes, I was slightly suspicious of her as well, but it wasn't even enough to place a vote on her, let alone outright kill her.

For the time being, though, I'll just withhold my vote. We're still far too early into the day to end it, especially after Ushaara's reveal and request.

Re: Silvanus, I'm honestly on the fence a bit. So far, we have claims of three one-shot abilities (I'm assuming the double vote is also a one-shot). It's also odd that they'd target Ushaara instead of Silvanus, considering we don't seem to have a protector any longer.
    I think they did target Silvanus, though. They just chose to use the aeon instead. Which also means someone other than him killed Ayisdra last night.

It's true that not all Lusternians are necessarily mafia by design, and if Falmiis is a Spiritsinger, him blocking me would be seen as pretty pro-town. Since I looked suspicious etc.

But you have to wonder how many Lusternians exist in a Nightvale themed game, yeah? Let's say 6, one for each org. I would doubt all 6 are mafia because that'd be way imbalanced. So the question is which ones are like Ayisdra, and which are not.
    Daraius said:
  • Clearly, the South is the mafia. Plus, I don't know, Celest.
    I think it's at the very least safe to assume Halli person and Seren person - if that person is @Falmiis anyway - are not co-aligned. It's unusual for mafia members to sabotage one another (Shakespeare game notwithstanding!).
    Daraius said:

• Sylandra said:
    I think it's at the very least safe to assume Halli person and Seren person - if that person is @Falmiis anyway - are not co-aligned. It's unusual for mafia members to sabotage one another (Shakespeare game notwithstanding!).
    Or... y'know. They're both town. Townies don't know who one another are and can easily accidentally screw things up for one another.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Well, co-aligned is maybe the wrong word. I mean they're not masons or mafia at least.
    Daraius said:
    Ninja'd.
    Daraius said:
  • Kiradawea said:
    Fair enough. To be honest though, I find that to be a bit overly convoluted. I mean, the Aeon itself is already just a weak roleblock. If you make it even weaker by attaching conditions to it, why would the mafia bother to use it at all?
    When I first mentioned this, I was working off the assumption that all Lusternians were Mafia, so the Aeon must also be Mafia if it was Lusternian flavored. However, seeing that Falmiis outed himself as Lusternian with little/no prompting, I guess we can see that not all Lusternians are Mafia, which opens up the possibility that the Hallifaxian is Town. This makes more sense anyway, since what it gains most for the town is information on what people do as well as time.

Now then, let's see what powers we have:
    Hallifaxian (Town?) aeons Falmiss on N1, Silvanus on N2
    Serenwilde (Town?/Falmiis?) blocks Sylandra on N1, delayed to N2.
    Silvanus claims one-off Vigilante, Investigator, DoubleVote
    Sylandra has one-off Day ender
    Serial Killer kills Ileein on N1
    Vigilante (?) kills Ayisdra on N2

Just going off of the powers that have been claimed to be in the game, I think that the Serial Killer simply decided to not kill tonight, maybe because he/she suspected that he/she was being Watched/Tracked. Also, the ability to pierce the veil may only determine whether someone is Lusternian/Night Vale, so if the Serial Killer is Leann, then he/she would be safe unless they're caught in the act.

As for the Mafia, I feel comfortable trusting Ushaara's claim that he was targeted with Ayisdra's poison and that he's going to die tonight. If he doesn't die, he knows that that's grounds for suspicion. Also, this delay power is a solid strategy for the Mafia: if someone hadn't killed Ayisdra and revealed his abilities, we probably would have no idea what happened tonight and would be more suspicious of Blocked/Aeoned people than we already are. Actually, that  presents a theory that would make the Hallifaxian/Serewilder Mafia. If they coordinated with Ayisdra so that the Mafia kill would be "blocked" or "delayed", then the Town would automatically be suspicious of people who said that they were blocked/aeoned. This is pretty thin and there were valid reasons to go after Sylandra and Silvanus, but maybe something to return to if we get more evidence.

I'm going to vote for Krackenor, but I'm going to wait until Ushaara gets out what he wants to say.

Here's a thought, too. Serial killers might want to kill mafias as much as we do. Possible that the SK got heat from Ayisdra and targeted him in response to that. The difference in kill strategy is the only thing that makes me doubt this theory. It does, however, still account for two kills with Ushaara's information taken into account.
    Daraius said:
    (Also random aside of theory crafting, but there's actually a time traveler in Nightvale called "The Traveler" and if that person is the Hallifaxian I will laugh so hard.)
    Daraius said:
  • Ssaliss said:

At the moment, I am leaning in the direction of Krackenor. He was extremely quick on the kill on Lavinya, even when there wasn't all that much at all to point in her direction. Yes, I was slightly suspicious of her as well, but it wasn't even enough to place a vote on her, let alone outright kill her.

At the risk of sounding aggressive again, my sacrifice required that she have at least half the necessary votes to work so saying that lavinya wasn't suspicious enough to vote for is not an opinion shared by all
  • Also, Ushaara is not going to die tonight because I am a Big Damn Hero.
    Well Krackenor, here is a question for you. Who's looking shiftiest right now? Because the way things are headed, you're the first name to come up for lynching this dayphase.
    Daraius said:
  • Oh, totally me. I understand that, don't get me wrong.
    Krackenor said:
    Also, Ushaara is not going to die tonight because I am a Big Damn Hero.

orly?
    Daraius said:
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I will vouch for @Krackenor being a Big Damn Hero and more-than-likely town, since it looked like he gave me a lich seed last night, and that agrees with what he said above. Woo!

Though I'm now undecided as to whether I should do a full reveal or not. I'll think it over while waiting for @Cen @Cyna and @Rolsand to check-in.
  • Well, yes he'll die. But he'll get better.
  • Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmm. My conspiracy senses are tingling!

If both Ushaara and Krackenor are both Mafia, and the Mafia has the option to talk to each other during the Night, then they could discuss how to signal each other to swoop in and corroborate. It's no big leap of logic to guess that Krackenor would be targeted today, since he ended up using a power to lynch a Townie. So, maybe they set up this system for Ushaara to set up an alibi for Krackenor. After all, he was targeted by two people: a delayed kill, and then a setup to return from the dead. It is possible that both of these things will be evident in tonight's broadcast; however, since there is (maybe) no lasting effect, there might not be any corroboration from Cecil. There's also the use of "Big Damn Hero", which looks suspicious.

Of course, they could be totally legitimate. Ushaara's claim of being targeted by Ayisdra explains what the Mafia was up to last night, and Krackenor could have anticipated Ushaara being targeted, so he sought to protect him. Krackenor could have also sought to use his power early, like Sylandra did, so as to relieve suspicion from using it later. And Krackenor's comment about the rocks of Night Vale is reminiscent of Ieptix's flavor, as from Ayisdra's flavor text. Previously, I was inclined to believe Ushaara, as he seems to have been acting in the town's interest. 

Regardless of their affiliations, from this we can gather that Krackenor and Ushaara are on the same side. I think what we need is a full reveal from Krackenor, and then an elaboration on what exactly happened with Ushaara. However, we can't be sure until we get through the night and see if Ushaara really is killed and then revived. Thus, we should look at other prospective lynchees.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Great that you're considering other possibilities, but I assure you, me using 'Big Damn Hero' was just because I found it amusing in Krackenor's post.

Also, typically in these forum games, or at least the ones I've been a part of, mafia can talk to each other at all times (i.e both Day/Night) in their own group chat, so there's not a whole lot of need for signaling each other in our posts if we're both mafia.

Though since you bring it up, it looked like you had a tiny 'Yay' in a different colour on the last page... was that a signal you were attempting to hide?
    (Oh do other mods do that? Whoops. Sorry Shakespeare + Reign mafiosos >_>)
    Daraius said:
  • Oh, that was just a tiny exultation at the death of a Mafia. And if the Mafia can secretly coordinate during the Day, then the use of Big Damn Hero doesn't signify anything, and makes that exchange a bit less suspicious. Of course, the logic still holds that if Ushaara is lying, then both he and Krakenor are Mafia, but I now find it more likely that they are both Town.