The Elder Wars Mafia! Morgfyre and Malmydia Win! (Lavinya/Ushaara)

Comments

• Well I'm at a loss. I can help eliminate some of our options and narrow down our choices, but it'll be a bit revealing and I don't know how much it'll narrow down our options as I don't know the details. This is vague, but that's because I know a thing but not the specifics of a thing.  

Pro: I believe a group of us can confirm our roles.

Con: The mafia will have some extra info, and I don't know how many people it will confirm until it happens. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Interesting. I'm game for whatever but also don't think we need a dramatic full reveal to get a lynch majority today, so up to you.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'd say sit on it for a little bit. It's good to know however that there is an option out there.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Tremula's post gave me a lot more to think about than I expected. Somewhat larger and more defensive that I would have thought that degree of poking would warrant, but useful. Since I've had time to work through it without any new revelations, I can actually draw conclusions.

It gave me two big questions to consider. Under the current circumstances, do we want to lynch one of our claimed traitors? If we do want to lynch a canon traitor, do we kill Ushaara or Tremula?

I'll deal with them both. This is gonna be long, because I like to be thorough and I'm open to the idea that I missed something. For the lazy people who don't want to read: I think lynching a canon traitor is necessary at this point, and Tremula is a better choice for it than Ushaara. The lynch would tell us so much about the game setup, possibly semi-confirm someone as innocent, possibly eliminate a hostile, possibly expose another hostile. That's hugely valuable. And of the two, Tremula is both more likely to have useful info, will probably provide more info, and will cost the town less if we're wrong.

Do we lynch a canon traitor?

-Information about game setup
    --Right now, I see three options for traitor mechanics: they're a normal cult, they're a cult that want to recruit traitors more than others (or only recruits canon traitors), or they're a normal non-cult scum faction.

---Non-cult analysis:
    ----Any canon traitor flipping town rules out a non-cult scum faction composed of traitors.
    -----Having a second canon traitor flip scum strongly implies it, but doesn't make it certain. Could still be either cult type.
    ----Current known and claimed information strongly implies this at a game design level. We know there are at least two soulless, Kethuru and Illith. We know there is one dead canon traitor (Fain) and two people have claimed that role. Popular wisdom says that scum should generally be between 1/4 and 1/3 of the players. 2 soulless + 3 traitors is five, exactly a quarter of our starting population. That's on the low end, but it does leave room for a Nemach or some other traitor who false claimed something else to be in the mix.
    ----If this is the case, Tremula's power would probably be triggered off of them killing a specific person or number of people.
    ------A steady scum group is starting to strike me as increasingly likely compared to a cult, and it's really easy to test. We also have most of the info that we need to eliminate the group if that is the case, so it's an extremely valuable thing to test.

---Normal cult analysis:
    ----Tremula's power being a triggered event doesn't seem to line up with this very well.
    ----Hard to test for through flips unless you hit someone with the recruiter power.
    -----Soulless elixir is still in play and we know that we don't know what it does. Could be recruitment power, might not be.
    ----If another canon traitor flips traitor faction, we can probably rule this out in favor of a traitor related mechanic, either favored recruitment or steady faction.
    ------Fairly easy to rule out by flipping another traitor, hard to definitively prove no matter who we flip. I think this is the least likely option.

---Favored recruitment analysis:
    ----Hard to distinguish between this and a steady faction without flipping every canon traitor or a non-canon traitor faction member.
    ----Favored recruitment could mean that they can't recruit anyone other than canon traitors.
    -----In this case, killing Tremula is useful because she's a reasonably likely recruitment target. Killing Ushaara is less useful, because he's way harder to recruit due to increased scrutiny and more power. This feeds into the second question.
    ----Favored recruitment could also mean that canon traitors get stronger in some way when recruited, or have natural synergy with the traitor faction.
    -----Tremula's claim of having a triggered power strongly implies this, but it could also work with a steady faction.
    ------If this is the case, they probably know all of the people they want to recruit at this point, which will get them up to max power quickly. Probably better to test this sooner rather than later.

-Possibly eliminate a hostile
    --Not much to say here, really. Just be aware that if we think there's a serious chance of the canon traitors being part of a hostile group, lynching one is as much a lynch on suspicion of scum status as it is an information lynch.

-Semi-confirm as innocent.
    --Flipping one canon traitor as town doesn't strictly confirm the other as town, but it does suggest it. The main risk is a favored recruitment mechanic, but we can dodge most of that by lynching Tremula. This also feeds into figuring out who to lynch.
    ---I like the idea of a lynch that provides reasonably strong info on multiple people.
    --This provides value over lynching me, which is also nice. If I flip (and you know there's a very high chance that I won't), I really only provide information on myself. This is true even if I am soulless, since we know that the soulless are probably in multiple factions. Getting information on one person (who is dead) is worse than getting information on two, even if the information on the second isn't entirely conclusive.

------------------------------

Ushaara or Tremula?

-Power value
    --This is relevant if one of them flips town. They could be as innocent as they say, in which case I'd want to have lynched the one with the least useful power.

---Tremula is claiming Drocilla with no power until some event happens. If she really is town, that's probably based on cult recruitment. So she probably has no power while she's useful for us, and gets a good one (because it needs to be good to balance being hard to get) after she betrays us. At best, her power is worthless. And worst, it's negative.
    ----Getting to look at her power card for the triggered event to get a real power might provide valuable insight, too. But without knowing more about it I can't really say how valuable that is.
    ---Ushaara's power is good for both town and scum. If scum, it can kill investigators and blockers. If town, it can reflexively kill scum.
    ----The problem is that it makes the person very hard to assess. This is less of a problem now than it was a couple turns ago, since most of our info roles are dead.
    -----Those factors mean that Ushaara's power, unlike Tremula's, is likely to be useful to us if he's actually town.

-Conversion odds
    --This is relevant in the case that one canon traitor flips town, which rules out a steady traitor faction but not cult.

--Ushaara is very high profile right now, and at constant risk of getting lynched. He has been this way for most of the game.
    ---This makes him a a fairly low value convert. He's very likely to get lynched at some point.
    ----Extra bad in the case of a favored recruitment, actually. He'd flip scum and imply other traitors are scum, which makes the other desirable recruits more dangerous.
    --Ushaara has also claimed a retaliation power. If he's town, he's probably telling the truth, although it's also a viable scum power.
    ----The traitors know if Ushaara is a traitor or not, so they can assess the above point fairly accurately.
    -----All of that makes Ushaara a very dangerous choice to recruit. Not impossible, but I think it's actually less likely than them poking at quiet people in the hope of getting lucky. Especially if they have some way to test a person for canon traitor status, which is likely if there's a game mechanic that encourages them to do so.
    -----On the other hand, it does make Ushaara a reasonable suicide bomber. Ushaara claims canon traitor, activates power in anticipation of catching multiple blockers/investigators in one use. In that case, claiming the power later is a way to salvage the lack of investigations and look a little more townish. Not a first plan, but a backup.
    -----They could, in fairness, have gotten Ushaara before he revealed, but it seems unlikely. Definitely possible, though.

--Tremula has mostly slipped under the radar, but she did imply a claim of Drocilla earlier. People who haven't gotten much attention are good cult recruits.
    ---Implicitly claiming Drocilla could be broadcasting for a recruitment.
    ----That might also imply a mafia traitor type role, where she knows that she's scum but doesn't know the identities of others. I don't think this is likely, but I'm pointing it out as consistent with behavior.
    ---If the traitor faction has a power to detect canon traitors, it's likely that they hit her fairly fast. A lot of people claimed other roles early, and it's likely that they'd focus on the people who didn't. After all, those people could very easily have avoided claiming because they were traitors.

------Conclusion: Lynching Ushaara mostly tells us if there's a consistent scum traitor faction, and is much less useful if it's an actual cult. Tremula is a reasonable recruitment choice for a cult and also tests for a consistent faction.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    I'll buy what you're selling. Vote Tremula. I'm anxious about her unlocking a power down the road.

But if town would prefer to off Portius as a whole, then I am willing to change my vote.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Though I am a little worried that this "oh I'll sacrifice myself to prove Ushaara's innocence" willingness to die isn't so altruistic, and that it so happens the "something" that she needs to gain a power is an attempt on her life. With the way this game is going, I really wouldn't be surprised by another lynch immunity of some sort. Additionally, she seems to have alignment conversions on death on her mind (asking if Portius had turned into Dame Maeve when his lynch failed, despite zero things happening that would give that impression at all,) and that might be the reason for it.

Despite the paranoia that this might be a trap, I do think she needs to go. 
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Oops, forgot to Vote: Tremula. Would like to hear more people's thoughts on the current situation before we seal the deal, though.
    Vote Tremula

Because I copied and pasted that argument out of a text document and forgot to put my vote in at the bottom.

Phoebus said:
    Though I am a little worried that this "oh I'll sacrifice myself to prove Ushaara's innocence" willingness to die isn't so altruistic, and that it so happens the "something" that she needs to gain a power is an attempt on her life. With the way this game is going, I really wouldn't be surprised by another lynch immunity of some sort. Additionally, she seems to have alignment conversions on death on her mind (asking if Portius had turned into Dame Maeve when his lynch failed, despite zero things happening that would give that impression at all,) and that might be the reason for it.

Despite the paranoia that this might be a trap, I do think she needs to go. 

Death as the conversion trigger hadn't crossed my mind, but you do make a good point. I had sort of written that off as an attempt to steer the lynch towards me with an argument that would make a second Portius lynch more palatable to people who believe my Maeve claim.

I've got to think my way through this, but tentatively I don't think it changes the lynch priority. Even if it does make her turn to evil, it's something that we'll need to deal with eventually. And it's only a maybe, so I'm not sure if it outweighs the benefits of her over Ushaara. But it's something that I do need to think through and completely overlooked, so thank you for that.
  • I'll throw my vote behind Tremula. If for no other reason than the fact that she was claiming no powers at all earlier.

Unvote
    Vote Tremula
  • Vote Tremula

I've wanted to lynch a canon traitor since day 2, so I can get behind this. Also, I'm now thinking that there has to be some kind of a role limit on recruitment... If all elders can be turned into traitors, then a failure to convert means that they've uncovered one of the soulless. I don't think the intention is that recruitment also be Investigative.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Hnngh. @Tremula's claim has thrown me for a loop.

First up, will say that after some consideration, am now leaning toward the belief that @Dylara's claim was telling the truth. Yesterday, I just couldn't get past why I wasn't her vig target, which made me doubt townie motivations.

Now while I appreciate Tremula's support on canon Traitor being innocent, I was truly not expecting there to be a third canon Traitor in the game given the few people left to claim, and knowing that there's a Kethuru/Illith, and very likely a third Soulless left to find.

As I've said before, I'm inclined to believe that Nemach will feature in the game, since Roark and Traitors are here. I've no evidence for this, but since the town win was to defeat Soulless, my working theory for threats was Kethuru/Illith as SK Soullless, and Nemach + Fain + 2 others as the Traitor faction, with Town win being to eliminate Kethuru/Illith/Nemach, while not being outnumbered by Traitors.

I was also inclined to believe that we were facing 3 deaths/night from Soulless/Soulless/Traitor, rather than Traitors recruiting, but Tremula's claim now seemingly makes recruitment the more likely possibility again.

So about the only thing that's certain now is that some people are lying about who they are. I know Silvanus gave @Sylandra a choice of safe-claims in the Los Alamos game, so it's perhaps possible that the Soulless were given safeclaims.

Though if this is indeed the case, @Portius' claim of Maeve would now be even more bizarre. If you were provided with a safeclaim, why would you claim Maeve... Despite how sketchy I found him at the time, I'm honestly starting to think that he might be telling the truth, and I just had one of my usual misreads. I need to look back at that whole scenario again with new eyes.

But ever since Sylandra asked me who I thought would make up the Traitor faction, and I replied with investigator type + some sort of role to balance out reduced numbers, I've been wanting to hear more from @Lehki.

@Breandryn's governor power was very public. Lehki's, not so much. If the safeclaim theory is a goer, claiming Aslarn was without risk. He's been flying under the radar, and has been unlikely to be tracked/jailed/investigated which makes me uneasy.

I realise that by the time I die or get lynched, I will have accused everyone in the game, but it's simply because I don't have an effing clue what is going on any more...

@Silvanus I salute you!
    So other thing that I'm going to be honest about: Lehki has been so quiet that I've forgotten he was even in the game. So Ushaara is probably right to want to hear more from him.

Just a forum thing at people who are tagging people: I'm pretty sure that putting punctuation after the @whoever stops them from getting an alert, since I didn't get one when Ushaara tagged me. So if you wanna get attention, skip the commas and apostrophes and so on.
    Or be like my and bookmark the thread so you always get alerts when it's updated. >_>
    Daraius said:
  • I'll admit i haven't been able to be as active or focused this game as I wanted to(I'm blaming Breath of the Wild + new responsibilities at work), which is what got me lynched early. I don't have new hard info to add as that 1-shot governor was my only power, and if I've been targeted by anything at night it was never visible to me. Never got a night message of any kind. It was kinda vague in the end of day post but the First Circle convening to stop lynch was the effect of my power.

I'm okay with the Tremula lynch at this moment, to see what it shakes up, but the thing that I've still been puzzling about is that we supposedly had 3 attacks done on N1, if Portius and Othero are to be believed. If Dylara is telling the truth, and that she vig killed Fain and hasn't acted other than that, I feel like we really should have been seeing even more deaths unless our jailor has been very lucky in saving people.  I feel like between Dylara, Portius, and Othero, somebody is still lieing, and do want to know why @Othero didn't want to share what he saw last night until it could "call somebody's bluff"?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Vote Count, Day Four:

Tremula - Weiwae, Sylandra, Phoebus, Portius, Yomoigu (5)

Portius - Lavinya (1)

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch!

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Eh, ok.

VOTE: TREMULA
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    unvote; vote Tremula

I think she may well flip innocent but the information gained is too valuable to pass up.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I said I'd answer questions, but I guess you guys don't have any at this rate. Enjoy the info, it's really all I can provide. Everything will make much more sense after I flip.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Eh, there's only one vote left, I can say it. I'm a survivor role, so no one is surprised, and just in case a janitor role does exist. Might as well drop everything at once, as I said, I've probably been the safest lynch this town has had since day one (thanks Ushaara :P).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Well okay, let's just do it.

Vote: Tremula
  • Sigh, fine. One Traitor over the other, I guess.

Unvote

Vote: Tremula

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    That would be Dylara coming in to overvote. 9 out of 8.
  • Woops, miscounted!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Dylara said:
    Woops, miscounted!
    It's okay, you're now in the club with Phoebus.

Also, psst, @Silvanus.
  • Oh hey, we lynched.
    edited March 2017
    Book of Lehki

"Finally, Drocilla of the Fourth Circle, you stand accused of engaging in the Rites of Abomination," said Jadice who had to pause when Drocilla sighed heavily. "Although we cannot find any evidence, some speculate that you had a hand in the disappearance of several Elders, including Havi, Quarilia, Morshaq, Li-varili and the entire Blue Hand cadre. Indeed, we are most concerned that there is a swath of Elders who have no recollection of you. It is troublesome that you have left of trail of Elders with apparently no opinion of you. We judge you guilty at least maybe engaging in the Rites of Abomination and on that evidence alone, sentence you to exile into the Void."

"I am innocent," said Drocilla breathlessly. She turned to look beseechingly at everyone crowded around her. "I am innocent. These alleged crimes are all either falsehoods, gross exaggerations or, at the most, misunderstandings. Please, you cannot banish me for trying to win this war! Please, listen to me! Let me go! Free me! I beg of you!"

"LIAR!" I screamed, filling my voice with the power of my essence, easily silencing the room. Drocilla was brought forward, and we led her deep into the recesses of Mount Dynara.

The Fifth Circle had prepared a portal to the Void, a swirling plane of darkness. Never before had such a punishment been meted out, and afterwards there was an emptiness in the air among us.

Tremula was Drocilla

(the story above)

Survivor: You will win if all Soulless are defeated, however, your own personal victory will ring hollow as your life remains incomplete...

Powerless: Your life is missing something, if only you know where to look.

There are 14 Alive, it is now Night 4, you have 48 hours.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.

Vestera the Dreamweaver

Perhaps the most curious of the Vernal Gods arose from the edifice of power known as the Bubbling Cauldron in the Ghalphalshi Swamps, a predominantly elcyrionite community from which Vestera originated. Interestingly, no one is quite certain what sex Vestera originated but certainly he or she never manifested such bodily conceits once transformed into a Vernal God.

Indeed, the form of Vestera was extremely ethereal and so insubstantial that mortals for the most part could not see this Vernal God. Unfortunately, this made Vestera all but ineffectual in direct combat with the Soulless God, and was extremely vulnerable to Kethuru and Zenos, who shared this out-of-phase form. In self-defense, Vestera developed great skills of illusions, able to hide from the Soulless or creating diversions or false images.

Shaddus was killed! He was Mugowumpois

"You aren't afraid, are you, dear?" Mugowumpois asked her in the furrikin's own language. It was odd that the mortal races could never master our tongue, each developing their own language.

"No, Great Mugowumpois," she answered, though she clearly was terrified.

"This is Ayalala of the Sweetberry tribe," said Mugowumpois, stroking the furrikin's arm. Then she switched to the Elder tongue. "I know I've showed you this before, the soul that inhabits each shard, but indulge me a moment."

Mugowumpois smiled gently at Ayalala and turned her around. Placing a hand over the furrikin's head, Mugowumpois increased the vibration around her aura until the shard of the soul became visible.

"This is a technique you shall appreciate, Xyl," Mugowumpois said. "I'm going to use a small amount of immanidivinus energy to mark the substance of the soul."

Elders: You win with the town when all Soulless are defeated.

The Collection of the Elder Wars (FOLLOWER): You have been interviewing, writing and collecting all information of the histories of the Elders. You may follow one person every night and write down their actions. 

There are 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch!

Day Five begins and will last until 3/28.
  • Huh, someone jailed me last night. Which seems weird considering that I've been confirmed that I don't go out at night and my power is not blocked by jailing.

Anyways, Luce and Shaddus were both Soulless kills, however useful that info is. Portius, any reason why you're still not handing out immunities?
    Well I suppose no one should be surprised at this point. We're losing our investigative abilities one by one. Sigh.

What does surprise me is that we don't appear to have a watcher. Because if we did, I think someone would have been watching Luce at the very least. Am I wrong? Because the closest we've had so far is my ability, which is quite limited in comparison.
    Daraius said: