New Player

I'm new to Lusternia, but I've played Achaea, and I love Imperian.  Lusternia is really interesting, and I like what I see of my guild and city, but it sounds like knight is actually a fairly complex class, and I know my limitations, so I've been advised that Bard or Druid might be for me, and a switch of race to Mugwump or Aslaran.  If I do switch professions, I'll have to switch guilds (which is unfortunate from what I've seen so far), and I may even have to switch cities (which is also unfortunate).  I'd done my homework as best as I could, and Glomdoring seemed to have something of PKer population, and a relaxed atmosphere that didn't take itself too seriously, without being ridiculous snugglebunnies.  Kind of perfect, really.  Hallifax sounds like it could take itself really seriously, for example, because cities that are defined the way that one is generally can't help but be very intense, have people who take their e-rank incredibly seriously, and just generally tend to be offputting for all but a very particular kind of player (but I can't really know, of course).  One of the other cities seemed to be a bit too snugglebunny (but again, I'm reading descriptions and snippets on forums).  Anyway, what are the other cities and guilds I might think of joining if I have to move - both within Glomdoring (which does seem to have a bard and druid guild), and beyond?  What do you think of those classes for someone who doesn't want to be overwhelmed by complexity?  

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks.  Expense probably isn't a big deal, and I can buy Vadi's, but even with both of those things, if you're not pretty good at coding and mastering complex offense strategies, you just really don't want to wade in and pick a class that revels in complexity.  Those classes are awesome, of course, but I'd be silly to pick one.  
  • These are all great.  Once I get a few more, I'll start hitting the "answered" buttons.  Don't want to accidentally scare away replies (but of course more answers would be welcome even after).  
  • Yeah, it's been a bit quiet, but mostly there were enough people to answer questions, and people seemed very matter of fact (in the best, down to earth sort of way).  I've met a couple of other interesting/helpful people from other orgs, so of course that's intriguing, too.  
  • Hrm, hitting "answer" actually screws the thread up :P  Tempted to undo it.
  • As a note, you don't neccesarily have to switch cities to get access to a guild. All cities have mirrored guilds.

That said, each city's guilds are also very different from each other, and there ARE different classes. Just a quick, brief overview, each city has 5 archetypes,

Warrior
    Bard
    Monk
    Druid or Mage
    Wiccan or Guardian

Druids and Mages serve the same combat purpose (aoe passive effects and room control) just as Wiccans and Guardians serve the same niche (entity based, single target, mana-kill orientated). Of course, even if they serve the same purpose, their skills are different enough that the strategies are entirely unique - two of the Guardian classes don't actually have a mana-kill.

Ultimately, as you play the game, you may find yourself drawn toward a very specific, single guild for their strategy/unique abilities, but if you're just looking at the general "archetype", you don't actually have to hop. (The two newest cities don't have monk guilds, though.)

• Glomdoring is cool, it had some awesome people there when I was there. (Not sure if they are still around, though.) It has some reaaaaallly cool lore behind it that is definitely worth checking out :)
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    If you stay in Glomdoring, but switch to druid/bard, any race change should be to faeling! You'll be squishier, but with various buffs available, you can mitigate it. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    If you stay in Glomdoring, but switch to druid/bard, any race change should be to faeling! You'll be squishier, but with various buffs available, you can mitigate it. 

Perma-faeling domoth buffs are gone though, right? If not, I might have to start getting aggressive. :D

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • The Gloom&Doom squad can't keep them all up anymore, so I believe they're more spread out. I know Aslaran Master Race has a couple of them more or less continuously, but the rest shuffle.
    yeah, for the moment, but there are other buffs available, like Throne and karma blessings.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    In my opinion, Guardian/Wiccan classes are the least complex. They're easy to get into and require pretty much no investment outside of skills to be competent. Generally the difficulty will come with learning to time your attacks with your passive entourage hits (which doesn't really matter in group fights anyway) and having safety measures to make sure your entourage isn't attacking you under disloyalty. Then you just make one trigger to toad your target at <50% mana when you contemplate them - too easy. The class generally also gets a lot of great utility.

With warrior you'd need to worry about rebounding, stance/parry, and wound distribution (and it'll get lonely real quick when you don't have other warrior/monk friends to help with wounding). Bards require some awareness or automation around earwort defense, and learning how to compose and maintain your song is somewhat annoying. I might also recommend looking at monks, because while it may be somewhat complex to set up kata forms, once you're set up it should be very repetitive (and pretty easy). I think Mages/Druids may be somewhat on the easier side but probably need a little bit of investment to not be squishy fodder, but I can't really comment very well on that.

Generally, once you're happy with your decision of guild/city, you should then seek advice about race from your peers, since it's not always a no-brainer choice.
  • Pick your top two orgs and make two characters. If you don't require people around to help most of the time then Glomdoring being a bit smaller might be a bit easier to make yourself a name.

Mages and druids might be a bit much for you. Like healers in some games, they can help make or break group combat, which means you'll have a lot of pressure to stay alive, act quickly, follow directions quickly. Still, usually someone may be willing to help you with basic scripts and set up. If you're really curious about this archetype, it may be a good choice for your second character.

I would also suggest you try bard first. Even a poor bard tends to give some benefit to their group. The other nice part about bards is they tend to put up defs pretty fast with Acrobatics' passives being pretty strong. I'm a fan of tarot which is only available to city bards, but all the terts are solid.

If you had your heart set more on knight, consider monks. In Lusternia monks can be viewed as closer to knights then other IRE games. They are weapon users and are less artifact reliant.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'll throw in my vote for bard as the best for a newer character. It has less power 1v1 at the higher tiers, but it's all around good and easy to use for a less-extreme player. You'll be good at PvE, great for helping out group combat, good at influencing, all with relativly  low investment for lessons or artifacts.
  • Tarot has some nice utility effects as I recall. Mana regen, the map of the dead, hermit to travel to other places, starleaper to get you out of pickles, and Teacher to get you cheap(ish) temporary skill ranks.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Steingrim said:
    Mages and druids might be a bit much for you. Like healers in some games, they can help make or break group combat, which means you'll have a lot of pressure to stay alive, act quickly, follow directions quickly. Still, usually someone may be willing to help you with basic scripts and set up. If you're really curious about this archetype, it may be a good choice for your second character.
    Mages and druids are more about running off on their own than following directions quickly. You're either breaking enemy meld which means you need to find break points and go from there. You can't be the one following the group leader if you're doing that, and chances are more often than not you'll want to not drag the group along with you. You'll also need to consider the additional lesson investment involved there to get realitycheck/treechop to be able to break melds without others assisting you. You also need to have some level of survivability in case enemies rush you as a melder so you'd be able to call for help and last long enough for backup to arrive.

Familiarity with most locations where fights might occur is definitely helpful too in case you need to hunt down break points. Chances are you won't be a primary melder if you're just starting off, of course, but the fact is that there's more to learn and track there than you would need as a bard.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    Steingrim said:
    Mages and druids are more about running off on their own than following directions quickly. You're either breaking enemy meld which means you need to find break points and go from there. You can't be the one following the group leader if you're doing that, and chances are more often than not you'll want to not drag the group along with you. You'll also need to consider the additional lesson investment involved there to get realitycheck/treechop to be able to break melds without others assisting you. You also need to have some level of survivability in case enemies rush you as a melder so you'd be able to call for help and last long enough for backup to arrive.

Familiarity with most locations where fights might occur is definitely helpful too in case you need to hunt down break points. Chances are you won't be a primary melder if you're just starting off, of course, but the fact is that there's more to learn and track there than you would need as a bard.
    If your side can support it, you need at least two breaking. Move in, trueground/chop, reterrain the area with your org's meld terrain if it's not the correct one already. This keeps them from bringing the whole party to you and remelding under you as soon as you trueground.
    I don't think we're talking main org melder, top tier fighting ability here. There's a lot you can do as support melder that doesn't require all the knowledge that really only comes with experience. Lets be reasonable, he's looking to get involved, not dominate the world...yet.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Could also consider the chem/wood side of Druid/Mage. A lot of people dismiss it but I really loved the RP behind Wyrdenwood. Granted, I was a giant tree with a bunch of clothes and jewelery stuck to the branches but it's an option that no one has seemed to mention. Melders are necessary but you get some great benefits from not taking that route as mage/druid and become a mobile bomber rather than being stuck to your meld.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Synkarin said:
    I don't think we're talking main org melder, top tier fighting ability here. There's a lot you can do as support melder that doesn't require all the knowledge that really only comes with experience. Lets be reasonable, he's looking to get involved, not dominate the world...yet.
    Where's the fun in that? :P

That said, I'm pointing out what he might run into along the way later on, too.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    the -woods are definitely fun! It was just sad that there were only 1 or 2 Wyrdenwood at any given time in Glom for a time: @Belibi and myself. I wasn't around for the other Wyrdenwoods yet, but that roleplay remains largely unexplored...for now!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Synkarin said:
    That's all well and good until ... dun dun dun ... you're the only melder awake. I'm not sure you disagree, but my impression is that people are a bit hard on melders who goof. Certainly IMO more so than what a random bard normally gets.

Elanorwen by following directions, I mean things like breaking melds, keeping up effects, that sort of thing. Perhaps the OP could better explain their limits and concerns.There's a level of management that really isn't required of other players. I was probably reading into the OP's post some limitation on dealing with triggers/coding that it looks isn't really there.
  • Eh, I've never scolded a melder. Goof or no goof. The sight of one is usually enough to inspire groveling. If you (or anyone else) are scolding melders, you'd better be a melder yourself, and it better be for something extreme, like logging on after you have a meld set up and proceeding to break your meld to take over and THEN goofing. Because otherwise, the SPDM (Society for Prevention of Dickassery to Melders) will be stomping you into the ground faster than you can blink.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited January 2015
    Chemantics and dru-wood are really, really cool, so if you're not down with the complexity of demesnes, you can still play a fun mage or druid! Plus, chemantics is really steampunky, if you like that sort of thing. (Except Aquachemantics, which is just 'my water is sparklier than other Aquamancers'.)

Though, you don't have to do a meld if you're the only one around. People will get annoyed with you, but, they can go jump. (It took me years and years to convince people that 'no, I'm not going to go meld somewhere just because I'm the only druid around' is a valid thing to say.)

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Oh, and I just remembered that for a time, while I was a Wyrdenwood, I rp'd being able to taste the soil...and things beneath the soil, because of my roots, see. That was so fun. Imagine tasting something swampy? bog-ish? and accusing innocent bystanders of having poor hygiene, and so on.

There was also a time when we hung things from Belibi's trunk. That was fun!

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback