Guild Races Lists: GAs, post your guild's!

The cantors are currently going with:
--[ Recommended Races]--------------------------------------------------------
dracnari  elfen     furrikin  kephera   merian
dwarf     faeling   human     lucidian  trill  

--[ Neutral Races]------------------------------------------------------------
aslaran      krokani      mugwump      tae'dae
igasho       loboshigaru  orclach      taurian

--[ Restricted Races]---------------------------------------------------------
illithoid  viscanti

What's your guild picking?

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Doesn't this make things really awkward from an RP standpoint? How soon after starting do you choose your race?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • FYI, restricted race means that you can't choose that race as a newbie through the newbie race process. You could still get that race through reincarnation, etc. (if you feel like facing the rp music). However, we're letting guilds restrict races for newbies so the newbie won't have to go through the hazing or whatever.
  • Interesting! I think I will have to do this in a moment or two. I already can figure out what I'm going to propose though.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I think you should consider both races that RP don't fit, but also mechanically are poor choices, for Cantors you should be taking poor charisma races and going "We're going to protect you from yourself, you don't want to be a Taurian/Orclach/Loboshigaru Bard."

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• This is what I have right now:

aslaran      elfen        krokani      orclach
    dwarf        igasho       loboshigaru  tae'dae    

dracnari  faeling   furrikin  human     kephera   taurian   trill

illithoid  lucidian   merian     mugwump    viscanti 

Illithoid and Viscanti are for Serenwilde purposes, mostly. The other three make poor warriors. I wouldn't recommend furrikin or faeling, or female keph, but they're not awful. 
    Keph's a weird one, because of the different gender based stats =/

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Hiriako said:
    This is what I have right now:

illithoid  lucidian   merian     mugwump    viscanti 

Illithoid and Viscanti are for Serenwilde purposes, mostly. The other three make poor warriors. I wouldn't recommend furrikin or faeling, or female keph, but they're not awful. 
    I personally wouldn't restrict the ones that make poor warriors (those I would put into neutral, but still tell them it would make a poor choice). Sure they may end up changing still, but out right denying them the choice I don't think is that great...
    That's really poor pastoral care though for your newbies isn't it? You aren't going "You should pick this race because it's the best race and no other race is worth playing" with this, you're stopping them from picking a race that is going to be just awful for playing as because they're too new to know better. There's still plenty of choice left for them, you've just stopped them making a terrible decision.

It's babyproofing sure, but you're doing them a favour. If it's selectable, someone is inevitably going to choose it and then quit because they find it too frustrating to get anything done.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    aslaran      human        krokani      orclach
    faeling      igasho       loboshigaru

dracnari   elfen      illithoid  merian     tae'dae    trill
    dwarf      furrikin   lucidian   mugwump    taurian    viscanti

kephera

• That's the decision I haven't made yet Ayisdra. I don't think it's good for them to play those three races, they just are poor warriors across the board. (Unless you're Sentinel for LUcidian, or Paladin for Merian)

I'm talking it over with a few people ICly, and we'll decide which way to go.
  • Morkarion said:
    That's really poor pastoral care though for your newbies isn't it? You aren't going "You should pick this race because it's the best race and no other race is worth playing" with this, you're stopping them from picking a race that is going to be just awful for playing as because they're too new to know better. There's still plenty of choice left for them, you've just stopped them making a terrible decision.

It's babyproofing sure, but you're doing them a favour. If it's selectable, someone is inevitably going to choose it and then quit because they find it too frustrating to get anything done.
    Of course I talk from my own experience.  While you could argue that warrior is more setup to be pvp outright than the others, maybe they will like the challenge (be it in PvP or PvE). Or maybe they like a race despite it being sucky for the guild.  I picked Lucidian because I thought it was an awesome race.  I picked druid because I liked the idea. Sure, my race and guild are not as awful as some other choices, but I like being lucidian to much to chance my race. In the almost 7 years I have been around, I still have my free reincarnation.
  • This is why I'm asking for the fourth category, where I'd put a few races that are less than ideal, but would be acceptable within the guild.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    edited November 2013
    Can we have a "discouraged" category, for races that are bad mechanically, but we don't necessarily want to outright ban just because?

In that same vein, can we get Kephera (m) and Kephera (f), to distinguish between the genders? It does matter a lot in this instance.

EDIT: Oops, I do not refresh before posting.
  • My theory was to treat Restricted as "!!FORBIDDEN!!", Neutral as "These are terrible ideas." and Recommended as "Choose something from this list.", since that's how I would have read the options back when I was a novice.
  • I thought about that, but there are races like furrikin and faeling which are less than ideal, but can come into their own a bit with things like expand. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Sentinels

aslaran   lucidian  tae'dae   trill   

dracnari     faeling      igasho       krokani      mugwump      viscanti
    dwarf        furrikin     illithoid    loboshigaru  orclach
    elfen        human        kephera      merian       taurian

None.

I'm really tempted to ban Illithoid and Viscanti, but don't think I'd get away with it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Wait, what? Tae'dae makes the cut, but Krokani, Igasho and Human are all just neutral?
    edited November 2013
    If Tae'dae make the cut as a good strength/racial resistances/weapon bonus race, so should Igasho, Krokani and Dwarf.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Shaddus said:

None.

I'm really tempted to ban Illithoid and Viscanti, but don't think I'd get away with it.
    Pretty sure I'm going to vehemently oppose the banning of any races for the Institute, myself.
    @Vivet:That's more of a "I love Isune" thing than anything else. Like I said, I really don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

@Everyone else: I'm not going to suggest races which do well at certain weapon specs, aside from Tae'dae because we need more cavaliers. >.>
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Don't forget Orclach, Mork.
    Iytha said:
    The cantors are currently going with:
    dracnari  elfen     furrikin  kephera   merian
    dwarf     faeling   human     lucidian  trill  

aslaran      krokani      mugwump      tae'dae
    igasho       loboshigaru  orclach      taurian

illithoid  viscanti

What's your guild picking?
    @Iytha, why these? Tae'dae bard is pretty good for influencing, Mugwumps can lay down aurics really quickly, and Lucidian/dracnari unspecc'd bards aren't that great.
    Hiriako said:
    Don't forget Orclach, Mork.
    Excuse me while I hang my head in shame.

Shaddus I disagree with being selective on weapon spec races, especially if you're aiming to push people towards a certain spec :p

With warriors while there's the obvious optimal levelling races (with levelling weapon spec races) and the Aslaran Masterrace, outside of those 6, and the org races (which are all really good) you've got Loboshigaru/Human and Taurian, all of which bring different aspects to Knight playing/levelling, and don't suffer from poor stats. Ideally a recommended list isn't just focused on PvP or bashing, nor is it only selecting the best of the bunch, because then you might as well just leave Aslaran there alone and forget the rest.

• Shaddus said:
    @Iytha, why these? Tae'dae bard is pretty good for influencing, Mugwumps can lay down aurics really quickly, and Lucidian/dracnari unspecc'd bards aren't that great.
    Tae'dae are bad due to their poor EQ time. Mugwumps are bad due to poor Charisma.
    Influencing EQ isn't based on your general EQ recovery, it's faster (or slower) based on your charisma stat. Tae'dae bards are brilliant influencers.

Iytha said:
    Shaddus said:
    Tae'dae are bad due to their poor EQ time. Mugwumps are bad due to poor Charisma.
    Except that auric/discordantchord damage isn't based on Charisma, IIRC. 
  • MoiMoi
    edited November 2013
    Morkarion said:
    Influencing EQ isn't based on your general EQ recovery, it's faster (or slower) based on your charisma stat. Tae'dae bards are brilliant influencers.
    My Recommended list isn't based on "What races go well with Cantor when optimizing a race/class build to do great at one part of the game?", but rather on "Which Cantor/race combos would let a new player try out every part of the game without mechanical frustrations?" Any race/class combo that is only good at one aspect of the game does not make that list, since the theoretical Tae'dae Cantor newbie might end up not liking influencing and be frustrated when they try to go bashing only to find out tae'dae bard bashing sucks. I am confident that anyone who is picking Tae'dae specifically for the great influencing or Mugwump specifically for the faster aurics and DCC eqs knows what they're doing and is well informed enough to make the right choice regardless of whether something's on the recommended list or not.
  • It seems like you guys are putting a lot more races on the recommended list than I understand. I've put elfen and mugwump on for MD's and thinking about faeling for RPs (and they're not bad as far as playable, either). Forbidden is pretty much just ickytaint.

I've left 'hard to play' ones alone... do you guys mind sharing why you picked as many as you did? I feel like reading this maybe I should change a minimalist approach.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."