Is RP dead?

I don't think so. Please, discuss.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."

Comments

• RP is not dead. People that say it is just don't have it fall in their lap. if you want shit, go get shit instead of bitching that there is no food when you are standing in an orchard.
    The playa you love to hate
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Definitely not dead.

However,I seek out people to RP with.  I hit up new players in Glomdoring, take them around, show them the sights, take them hunting, and try to help establish them within the commune while playing as Tark.

I have people outside of Glom I enjoy interacting with that I need to go out of my way to do more with.  @Zitto, @Portius, and @Enadonella are a few of my favorite people to track down and chat up.  Even though I've only had the one interaction with the first two, they're on my list to follow up with.  And so's @Maligorn, but that's more for my amusement than anything else. He knows what I'm talking about :D
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Mudsex is what you're talking about?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Sorry forgot mudsex, include that too.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Insular mudsex.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Celina said:

Insular mudsex.

Undead insular mudsex?
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Interracial undead insular mudsex.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Interracial undead insular beastmastery mudsex?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Daraius said:

Mudsex is what you're talking about?

And have Rialorm chop it off and nail it to a wall? Pass xD

Besides, I have a ftb policy when it comes to MUD romance.
  • I'm going to assume here that an "ftb policy" has nothing to do with the first few results on Google, which is "feed the beast"...
    Google has mislead you.  Fade To Black xD
  • Riluna said:

I don't think so. Please, discuss.

Negative, Ghost Rider.  That pattern is full.
    </RANT>
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    You guys are horrible. :(

Also, no, RP isn't dead.

• Bless @Munsia.  Seriously.  There will always be something to talk about, because you never know what crap is going to fall out of her mouth next.  RP-galore over here.  Did you know, she's even actually become rather useful lately? Eh-yup, I'm happy.  Make mine MarvelMagnagora.
    </RANT>
  • RP isn't dead, but I think people can have unfair expectations. Just like there are some people who sit around waiting for the next raid, or arena bout, there are some who just wait for the next RP opportunity. However, for some people Lusternia has a pretty high upkeep list. For myself, I log in check for letters, messages, the order, the guild, the city, newsposts, changelogs (in that order). See if any novices or new order members are about. At this point I'll usually wind up in one or two conversations about advancement, politics, or general events. Check multiple shops, curio upkeep, any monthly promos. Check the throne. The daily grind of essence and whatever quests I'm working on. In posting this I realized I have some poteen pots I haven't finished this month so logging back in. And at some point I'm trying to squeeze in curio trading and some mudlet coding.

So I'd like to RP more, but I find that spontaneous RP is more likely than not going to be interrupting me. Nothing worse for me than to be hours long in a quest and have people just expect me to drop stuff. As to RP being dead, the admin still seem to go out of their way to recognize it.
  • That's pretty much everybody so far saying "no", so how could we better include those who feel otherwise?

I've heard a pretty strong undertone from people lately that they've just run out of things to collect, and aren't really sure what else there is anymore, since we've been on a pretty hard collection run for a long time now. I think, for many people, RP has become more of a sideline thing, like what you do in-between other activities.

It's been a long time now, but that used to be completely the opposite. Bashing or farming whatever next thing was something many people did only after finding out what people are publicly up to within the org at the moment. Something to fill time, not just between raids.

Would you agree with that, too? And if so, how do we bring that back or maybe just liven up our current public doings?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Tremula said:

Celina said:

Insular mudsex.

Undead insular mudsex?
    That's my fetish.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It depends on where you are IG, but there can be a void of deep, public RP. A lot of the really cool, not trivial or silly, stuff is done 'behind closed doors', which can make it feel like nothing is happening.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Insular.

Also no raids to wait for anymore.
  • I've found that RP is hard to initiate when others aren't as interested as you. People have real lives beyond RP OOCly, and sometimes we're all pooped. Whether it's from work, a horrible day for the feels or just you've felt a lot of stress lately and need to take a bubble bath with Elder God themed ducklings. Sometimes, people are just tired, man. And while all of us attempt to be 24/7 RPers, it can be tough.

I find it best when it is spontaneous, or when you have some plans and you talk about it OOCly before you make it into IC. I've found that even my favorite RPer's like to talk about background before going into something intensive for writers. It's just a matter of time, when and how, and whether or not you feel interested or inspired.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • I don't think RP is dead by a long shot, but, since coming back I've found that a lot of conversational OOC is much more mainstreamed into otherwise IC moments and events. Some of it (numbers for rooms when speaking about elders that have been chopped down) is understandable. But I do get tells from people sometimes out of the blue saying "at work" or "on my phone" or "my connection sucks" which - how hard is it to slap a thin veneer of RP on that. Maybe that's nitpicking, but ehh, it's something that I've never experienced from Lusternia on such a large scale before.
  • Enyalida said:

It depends on where you are IG, but there can be a void of deep, public RP. A lot of the really cool, not trivial or silly, stuff is done 'behind closed doors', which can make it feel like nothing is happening.

I defintely agree. There is always something happening. And there is always as well RP built off of perception of characters in particular.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Astraea said:

I don't think RP is dead by a long shot, but, since coming back I've found that a lot of conversational OOC is much more mainstreamed into otherwise IC moments and events. Some of it (numbers for rooms when speaking about elders that have been chopped down) is understandable. But I do get tells from people sometimes out of the blue saying "at work" or "on my phone" or "my connection sucks" which - how hard is it to slap a thin veneer of RP on that. Maybe that's nitpicking, but ehh, it's something that I've never experienced from Lusternia on such a large scale before.

I hope that's not happening icly.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SomeOneElse tells you "// i'm at work right now, so a little dristracted."
    You tell SomeOneElse "Of course.  Such distractions are to be expected within the Basin."

AnotherPerson tells you "// on phone."
    You tell AnotherPerson ''I understand that at times it can be difficult to speak to a man of my station.  Please take as much time as you require to gather your thoughts."

ThisOtherPerson tells you "Would 50 Shades of Grey be considered such a hot book if instead of being a billionaire, he was chronically unemployed and lived in a mobile home and drove a truck with more rust than metal?"
    You tell ThisOtherPerson "Please forgive me, but I do not speak your language.  Can you try mugwumpi or common?"
    ThisOtherPerson tells you "Miss."
    </RANT>
  • edited March 2015
    I'm just always afraid if I approach people they'll be like, "Wtf, who are you. Go hunt or influence, leave me alone."

I really dislike reaching out so I tend to stay in a small circle of people. Which most likely stunts my RP, as in my Halli-alt where I have no friends.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's "mis", short for 'misaether'. BAH, PLEBIANS.