Tahtetso Suggestions

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2013
    Veyrzhul said:
    How is spit not reliable, it gets resisted only by resilience shrugging? Starkick is not a free move you can just toss in whenever as a tahtetso. If you want your wound-dependent tahto attacks to fire, you will want to precede them with a kick to the same bodypart (usually legs) in that combo. If you want starkick to fire, you need wounds on those bodyparts, so unless you have already spent a good amount of time building wounds, you will have to preceed starkick with tahto attacks to the chest or head. Can't have it all at once.
    "Need wounds" doesn't really mean anything either. How many wounds? How easy is it for you to get those wounds? Are you saying Tahtetso are incapable of getting wounds on the require bodypart?

• Lerad said:
    Option 1 means that the two nekai hits must come first in the form, and until AFTER the second nekai hit, will the morphite work, so... it bypasses nothing. 
    This was about options to prone, not about options to prone that bypass stance/parry themselves. Tahtetso proning via double kneecap can be countered with stance (before the first kneecap) and parry, too. For starkick, only stance, obviously. And unless you add in ways of keeping them prone, they can stand up just as well.

Mantakaya is available to all monks, Nekotai spit isn't. And no monk guild miraculously bypasses stance and parry, all have to work for it, some have it easier than others. Tahtetso in no way shine in that area. Tahtetso as is can keep people down for extended periods of time, which is mostly due to shatterankle. Since the lock discussion stands under the premise that shatterankle is no longer there, that point is not valid, however.

Please elaborate on the far better Tahtetso repertoire for countering parry/stance. I have this feeling that that point especially is getting blown out of proportion.
  • Celina said:
    ....but why are you sprawling. They're just going to stand up again. There's no value to a sprawl over mantakaya in the context you are talking for a nekotai, other than requiring two poisons to proc just for the added RNG fun. This argument makes no sense.
    Because the discussion was about proning (as in sprawling). That's the only reason.
  • Enyalida said:
    "Need wounds" doesn't really mean anything either. How many wounds? How easy is it for you to get those wounds? Are you saying Tahtetso are incapable of getting wounds on the require bodypart?
    For starkick, somewhere in the low-mid medium range. Not hard to achieve, a bit trickier to maintain. In any case, it means that you have to prepare it, which takes time, and as soon as you switch to attacking another bodypart, you might have to build up wounds on head or chest again, depending on the curing priorities of your opponent. And, of course, you have to get around a possible stance, too.
  • Kneecap is a fantastic option for bypassing stance and parry. Because Tahtetso stack salves as well, once you have kneecap on the target, you can pretty much keep them either waiting for kneecap to cure from a regen application or on the ground waiting for balance to cure the broken leg to get up. The latter meaning, obviously, you get past parry as well.

Sure you have to work to get kneecaps in the first place. This is good, this is needed. This is balanced. I'm not sure about the exact reqs behind its wound requirements, but that it has a wound requirement at all prevents it from being effortlessly maintained, and gives the opponent a window to cure if realize it and change their priorities to ignore distracting attacks at other bodyparts. This mechanic, in turn, allows you to build wounds on other bodyparts, enabling more damage (and other wound based affs, which in this case is starkick, which synergizes nicely with this). All of these are also working toward your currently viable insta at the same time, which requires sprawl and a regen affliction.

Kneecap doesn't need to be nerfed. It's great, though. Fantastic, really. The Tahtetso repertoire for bypassing stance/parry is in no way unreasonable. It's acheivable, it's balanced. It doesn't need help. This is why I've been saying over and over that Tahtetso is probably one of the most balanced, if not the most balanced, of the four monk guilds.

Enyalida said:
    Veyrzhul said:
    How is spit not reliable, it gets resisted only by resilience shrugging? Starkick is not a free move you can just toss in whenever as a tahtetso. If you want your wound-dependent tahto attacks to fire, you will want to precede them with a kick to the same bodypart (usually legs) in that combo. If you want starkick to fire, you need wounds on those bodyparts, so unless you have already spent a good amount of time building wounds, you will have to preceed starkick with tahto attacks to the chest or head. Can't have it all at once.
    Starkick is a great move, not because it gives reliable sprawling, but because it gives sprawling to a salve-stacking repertoire while being balanced by wounds, which is rare for monks and a decent factor to use for balance. In short, it's pretty balanced for the Tahtetso. It doesn't need help, but it's not UP'd either.

It requires medium wounds, which is 400. A vanilla monk kick is 200-220. A single vanilla monk punch/slash is (for nekotai at least) 60. This are pre all forms of wound boosting etc. To perform a starkick on a person with zero wounds is highly improbable, even despite the fact that rng for the aff is calculated after the wounds from the attack is applied. Getting the required wounds on the body part is definitely possible, though, see above.

• What's this miraculous salve stacking outside of shatterankles? Are you seriously implying a tahtetso can keep someone down with brokenlegs only?
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I thought the discussion was about bypassing stance/parry AND true prone. The point was mantakaya can be used to bypass stance and parry. Yes, you can true prone with morphite, for absolutely no reason. It's true, it just doesn't mean anything. Making your target sprawled as a nekotai serve no purpose beyond bypassing stance/parry...which you don't use morphite for. The two nekotai prones also sprawl, and get no benefit from morphite.

I really think you're getting lost in your own argument. It really aren't making any point by harping on this literally pointless morphite sprawl and making a weird false equivalency to tahtetso sprawls.
    Oh, ok I caught on. You're using Xenthos pedantics. I said nekotai don't get a no momentum sprawl, and you pointed out one they can get even though it's not useful. I get it. I was so confused :(
  • Lerad's original argument for tahtetso not getting a feasible hardlock (under the conditions listed in the last two points of the original post): Firstly, the Nekotai have no active sprawl that costs less than -1mo, or is not a grapple-ender.

That's what I was responding to. And yes, the actual usefulness of it was not for debate at this point. We can talk about that now if you want!
    So you diverted the topic to prove a frivolous point and enage in pedantry rather than applicable combat strategies? All to make a false equivalency.

It was obviously in the context of green locks. To which double morphite offers balls. Which you know. You also know a green lock requires a sustained sprawl. So in the context of the argument, you still managed to be wrong.

Have fun, Veyrzhul. I didn't think you'd actively undermine your own credibility....but here we are!
  • Eh, you're the Tahtetso, and you're telling me the Tahtetso don't have a good salve stack?

Rakto - arm mod - Broken jaw(mending), knocked wind(??not sure if salve), or broken limbs(mending).

Bomrakini - arm action - shatter extremities(??not sure if salve)

Rakti'ini - arm action - cracked kneecap(regen).

Raktiah'sho - arm action - (-1mo)collapsed lungs(regen), (-2mo)severed spine(regen), (-1mo)break limbs(mending+trip if legs), (-1mo)mangle(regen, if already broken).

Gahtiah'sho - arm action - chestpain(regen)

This is an impressive list of mending/regen affs. I've taken out non mending/regen affs, there's a couple of melancholic in there, but they aren't high enough priority to be cured above most of these. I also left out the handful of sprawling and prones and paralysis. I've also left out hemiplegy, which can work well with collapsed lungs for more prone, but yeah, nevermind that. I may have missed out other mending/regen affs, or made mistakes on the momentum costs. But.

There's a great deal of synergy in all of the Tahtetso affs. They aren't able to infinitely keep someone on the ground, nor keep kneecaps infinitely on a smart curer. But this sheer amount of salve affs mean that once they do build wound momentum (not the stat, but the concept of combat momentum) they have a way to capitalize on and stack them. All of these are great concepts for inter-class balance. 1v1, the Tahtetso are in a solid place. There's absolutely no reason to change the core concept behind their repertoire because of this. I don't think I'll be budging on this position unless there's extensive evidence otherwise. And giving the Tahtetso a greenlock for taking away shattered ankles is not something I'm inclined to consider a reasonable suggestion when the Tahtetso are perfectly fine in 1v1. This has been my stance from day 1, and I'm tired of repeating it - the Tahtetso are balanced. Why are you changing them? I'm sure you're tired of hearing me repeat it as well, until I've got something new to add, I'll refrain from it from now on.

If there's any place that might be considered a good motivation for change, it would be in the starting line of this thread: to address possible imbalances in group combat. And your suggestions aren't going to do much good there either.

• Here, simply put:

Original suggestion: Get rid of shatterankles, make chestpain a mending cure. Give us a windpipe kick. Result: (reliable) greenlock setup and cost similar to Nekotai.
    Lerad's standpoint was that Tahtetso don't need a greenlock, even with above changes. One of the arguments he listed is the one I quoted in my last post. I responded to it. No idea what's so frivolous about that.
  • edited March 2013

Lerad said:
    Eh, you're the Tahtetso, and you're telling me the Tahtetso don't have a good salve stack?

Okay, first off, when someone talks about salve stacking, then I assume that there is the possibility to afflict faster with relevant afflictions than they can be cured.

Let's get back to that and go through your list.

Lerad said:

Rakto - arm mod - Broken jaw(mending), knocked wind(??not sure if salve), or broken limbs(mending). Broken jaw can be ignored if you want to, it does little. Knocked wind is a short balance loss.

Bomrakini - arm action - shatter extremities(??not sure if salve) Bomrakini afflicts with fractured arm and crushed foot (arnica cure).

Rakti'ini - arm action mod - cracked kneecap(regen).

Raktiah'sho - arm action - (-1mo)collapsed lungs(regen), (-2mo)severed spine(regen), (-1mo)break limbs(mending+trip if legs), (-1mo)mangle(regen, if already broken).

Gahtiah'sho - arm action - chestpain(regen)

Bomolah'sho - arm action - (-1mo) shatteredankle

So we do have a number of actions and modifiers that cause salve afflictions. If we talk about stacking as I explained it above, the only real option is to stack regen affs on the legs, and that is by using shatteredankle. Aside from that, no stacking will happen, things will just get cured more quickly than you afflict. Our stuns are gut attacks (only gut salve aff is severedspine) and we have no salve application delay like shofangi to slow curing.

The rakto and rakti'ini modifiers only work with regular tahto attacks, by the way, not with other actions.
  • edited March 2013
    Ok, it has been a few, I will throw in some thoughts....

Veyrzhul said:
    Ever since I first started playing, there have been issues with this skillset which mostly result from the fact that the instant kill conditions are, compared to those for other instant kills, relatively easy to achieve, even if not necessarily easy to keep up long enough for the kill. That makes the kill method especially and overly deadly in group situations, where you have other people helping to maintain or establish said conditions.
    On the other hand, the skillset offers few other options of achieving kills with its windpipe move being two-handed (a grapple-ender).

I have picked out the skills that I think are relevant for above problem or generally might need an overhaul for other reasons and put the suggested changes below. Feedback welcome, and if this finds approval, it would not be bad to get this done in a special report.

Bomrakobo           End a lock grapple with limb dislocation. (250ka, -1mo, two-handed)

Problem: Locking limbs no longer raises momentum, and with this move costing one momentum and being two-handed, its neither really useful at low nor high momentum.
    Suggestion: Make this move a grapple ender for Bairak (the weapon grapple, see below) or introduce a new weapon grapple for it. Possibly remove the momentum cost (since it is still two-handed)
    As stated above, give this oriama treatment in that bomrakobo results in maintaining mo by causing -1 and +1 at the same time.

Bairak              Grapple the head with your staff in a choke hold. (200ka, two-handed)

Problem: See Bomrakobo problem/solution.
    Suggestion: Make this weapon grapple work for the limbs in addition to the head, so that is can be used for Bomrakobo. For limbs, instead of the short blackout it does for the head, have it make curing hemiplegy impossible on the grappled arm, or lower hemiplegy for a grappled leg. Other suggestions for suitable arm/leg effects welcome.
    Only reason I can see for this needing to work on limbs is for Bomrakobo above. If you add a limb target version of Bairak, I would suggest increased wounding on the limb, no effect on hemiplegy. As this gains momentum, Bomrakobos above suggestion would be ignored.

Bairakobo           End a bairak hold with a crushed windpipe. (200ka, two-handed)

Problem: Being a grapple ender, this is a two-handed move, which makes achieving a lock with crushedwindpipe rather problematic, to say the least.
    Suggestion: Change its effect to brokennose (with the usual short stun) or fracturedskull and introduce another move for crushedwindpipe (see below).
    I am fine with brokennose or fractured skull, but oppose a new windpipe move.

Bomol'sho           Paralyze the lower body. (200ka, two-handed)

Problem: A two-handed move for lower hemiplegy is sub par, especially considering that Bomir'rak (125ka, one-handed) allows for hemiplegy on the arms.
    Suggestion: Make this a one-handed move, give it a 1mo loss, and increase the ka cost of Bomir'rak to at least 175 ka.
    I can support this, as well as the change it lists to bomir'rak.

Block               Ward off most physical attacks. (currently only usable outside of a kata form, blocks melee attacks, but nothing else)

Problem: You cannot do ANYTHING while using it, not LOOK, not talk via SAY, TELL, on clans or otherwise, let alone cure. It is fairly useless, even against a melee opponent.
    Suggestion: Make this a modifier for tahto attacks which is used with a bodypart as an argument (200ka, -1mo). The following suggestions for the effects, all of which would last for 5 seconds: 1. the covered bodypart will be protected by ka deflect. Works only for the non-"shield" arm or ONE leg. 2. the covered bodypart will be protected as if PARRY 75 were active.
    No to the super powerful pseudo passive protection of 1. And as I recall parry 75 actually has no meaning, a number after it says how much relative weight to use. So parry head 1 and parry gut 1 is 50/50 split, just as parry head 50 and parry gut 50 would be.  Have a couple ideas to replace its effect but they are still in need of tuning.

Bomolah'sho         Shatter ankles to prevent movement. (225ka, -1mo, one-handed)

Problem: Some see this as a central problem, I personally only find double ankle annoying. But with access to mangles and breaks, this move might not be needed as is once a lock can be more easily obtained than is currently the case.

Suggestion: Remove this skill and replace it with a kick (300ka, -1mo) that is usable against the head for crushedwindpipe (and possibly against other body parts for medium affs, nothing special). Since reliable proning costs momentum for a tahtetso (and starkick would not work together with this), it would make a windpipelock cost at least 2 momentum, and for a good, somewhat reliable lock using raktiah'sho x2 (for collapsedlungs and prone/broken leg), it would need boost. (total cost 1100 ka without modifiers)
    I do not find this to be needed. Introducing windpipe to a guild that does very well at hindering is a bad combination, leads to alot of potential issues.

Gahtiah'sho         Induce the heart to falter. (400ka, modifier for a basic tahto attack against the chest)

Problem: This being an (at higher momentum) easily obtainable regeneration aff makes it very dangerous in group situations, since it is relatively slow to cure.
    Suggestion: With the better options for locks (see above), turn this into a MENDING affliction. Rest stays as is.
    Abstain from comment.

• edited March 2013
    The suggestion for Bomrakobo would work, and it is probably the most easily implemented and least controversial of the things on the list. No change for Bairak needed in that case.

Parry 75 meaning the quality of parry that you would get if you put 75 out of a total weight of 100 on the respective bodypart. As for suggestion 1 (which you think is overpowered), consider the ka and momentum cost I proposed. Those mean that the protection comes at a price, namely that you can't put up even close to a full offense while maintaining said protection. By no means is it passive.

The shatterankle/windpipe/chestpain changes are, if at all, supposed to happen together. I would not consider making chestpain a mending cure without a reliable lock, because it would put the insta on the level of the Nekotai insta. All monk guilds have good hindering, and Tahtetso hindering without shatterankle would be mediocre at best among them.
  • Sorry, as to the problem with chestpain being too easily setup in groups. Part of the issue is that you can just spam chestpain, I would say give it a -1mo, but that sounds like it would have more effect than desired.  Would a 2p cost break it?

If we can fix chestpain we can adjust other things, but outright changing them is bad.
  • A momentum cost for chestpain would mean you need at least two forms to kill after you apply it. That would require a pretty impossible stunt with collapsedlungs to pull off, since that is the only way outside of a lock to delay the chestpain cure sufficiently, and it also costs momentum. Don't think it is doable at all even in theory, let alone actual combat.
    A power cost for something that is solely preparatory and serves no purpose as an affliction beyond that (plus having a high ka cost) doesn't sound like a great idea, either. It would need an affliction effect with fairly considerable combat impact to justify that.
  • It is prepatory, but you can routinely spam it till someone else sets up the prone. This would limit how often it is used, instead of every form.  The cheese is less influential than the original issue of spam till you can insta.
  • Problem with that is that it balances group combat solely and really hoses solo capability. If you want to curb the group danger and not make soloing close to impossible, I think that my suggestion does a better job.
    Also, if you compare other preparatories that cost power, ectoplasm and powerspikes come to mind, you'll notice how those, aside from their function to prepare a kill, have pretty powerful effects on top of that and frequently get used for those effects. If chestpain had something like that, I'd say a power cost were justified.
  • Powerspikes doesn't set up an instakill, just a big damage/stun move
  • Powerspikes still have a double function as such, as do the other aurics which don't even cost power. Of those, only egovice's effect isn't generally useful outside of a bard's offense. Maxed out dchord and the following damage are survivable by certain outlier class/race combinations, but I'd say it's rather the exception, and that is talking 1v1. Dchord in groups should seal the deal almost all the time. Crucify also doesn't kill by itself. Still, getting crucified while ectoed has a very good chance to get you killed - especially in group combat, which Malarious' suggestion is aimed at.

They are also instant cures. And can't be used in conjuctions with various other afflictions like monks can. Poor comparison.

While I understand the desire for self preservation, leaving yourself OP for group fights and "balanced" for 1v1 rather than balanced for groups and "underpowered" (lol) for solo is only beneficial to you and just hoses everyone else.

This, of course, is under the assumption that you are truly "hosed," which you aren't.

• I've yet to instantly cure aurics in octave. I've yet to instantly cure ectoplasm while hindered or off bal/eq. And since I made suggestions that drastically reduce the danger of chestpain in group fights, you'll hardly be able to accuse me of 'self preservation' there.
    Veyrzhul said:
    I've yet to instantly cure aurics in octave. I've yet to instantly cure ectoplasm while hindered or off bal/eq. And since I made suggestions that drastically reduce the danger of chestpain in group fights, you'll hardly be able to accuse me of 'self preservation' there.
    While that's interesting and all, that doesn't change the fact that they are still instant cures. 
  • Okay, I'll spell it out for you: In contrast to chestpain, the curing (regen application) of which a tahtetso can slightly delay at best unless they spend momentum for collapsedlungs (which doesn't delay the application but gets cured first), bards have a means to prevent curing aurics altogether, and ectoplasm has quite severe restrictions on when it can be cured. Its cure is instant if you're able to do it, but preventing scrubbing is a lot easier than preventing application of a salve.
    You don't need to explain anything. I understand the meaning of the word "instant." It's just a matter of whether you grasp it or google the definition. Chestpains is not instant. In fact, used on its own, it is slower than recovery time for a kata. That is the definition of "not instant." Because ectoplasm and aurics can be used in conjunction with other skills that can hinder the instant cure does not make the cure any less instant. It's still instant. They are just hindering your ability to cure. It's an important distinction because the hindering of curing requires more than just the affliction where as a delayed cure (that happens to be slower than kata recovery) does not.
  • If you don't cure something at all, it's not an instant cure, either. The viable option of preventing the cure of something is pretty relevant with regards to what I said. Other than that, it is going a bit far for the sake of this thread to compare the full offense of bards and Nihilists to that of Tahtetso, so I'll leave it at that.
  • Plenty people instantly cure aurics in octave, plenty of ways around using horehound
  • Any allheale type cure, active or passive, will also instantly cure chestpain.
  • Just making a point in that it is possible, this is the thread for pedantic arguments right?