Which Org Has The Most/Deepest/Most Hardcore RP?

Your opinions, please, and why you hold them. I was thinking about getting into Lusternia and am a big fan of RP. Want to get an idea of where I'd like to start. If you feel the answer isn't necessarily clearcut, I'd still like your reasoning / what you consider the lay of the RP land to be more or less.

Thanks in advance for any help/info!

Comments

• Every org has a huge amount of lore and RP beneath what you can see on the surface from the outside. 

Hell, I've been with Hallifax ever since it opened and I'm still learning lore that I had no idea of, by virtue of managing to rise to positions where I gain the 'need to know' basis. And for a city of Harmony and Beauty, Hallifax lore can get REALLY hardcore.
  • edited January 2016

Qistrel said:
    Serenwilde - the last true forest, home of elfen, follow Mother Moon and the White Hart, tribal warriors, will do virutally anything to ensure they keep the forest whole and pure, links to the fae. Generally good but willing to bend the rules because nature.

I'd disagree with "bend the rules", it's more... our rules are just not your rules
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Obligatory every org has great RP and you can find it if you look. It's true, but it's also true that everyone will feed you that line. LEMME BE HONEST WITCHU.

My vote is for Glomdoring or Hallifax in terms of depth and commitment to RP. 

Personally speaking, Hallifax has the more interesting concept, but the more flawed delivery of it which is why I've never enjoyed it. Glomdoring is smaller and less active, but deliver the collectivism for a greater purpose RP more successfully. The most notable difference between the two is that Glomdoring is more religious/cult-like and Hallifax is more logically inclined (or supposed to be). 

Glomdoring fervently worships a somewhat ambiguous, amorphous thing called the Wyrd. There's no one agreed upon definition of it, simply that it's nature's perfect adaptation to combat the taint and everything else is inferior to it. They believe it is a foregone conclusion that the Wyrd will consume the basin and all mortals will either know the Truth or be consumed with the world. They are merely biding there time until such an event occurs, content in the belief that they are serving the only perfect creation in the basin. Glomdoring believes itself superior and has little interest in convincing the world of it, the world does not understand. They simply are and that is enough. 

I'm not as well versed on Hallifax. They are very committed to their roles as an org to an impressive extent,  but based on my interactions they are kind of a caricature of the Borg if the Borg had a sitcom where they ran the Department of Motor Vehicles. The idea is that Hallifax is supposed to be the beacon of collectivist efficiency, that many minds are more successful than one, and that a carefully maintained society produces the best results. A beacon of amassed knowledge. What they actually are is a very long repetitive joke about excessive paperwork and file keeping, with a heavy helping of bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy. The stand out moment for me, and one I wish Hallifax would follow, is during the most recent dream event where the invoked (or threatened to invoke) what amounted to martial law "for the greater good." They also come across as very "superior because we're superior," and the constant need to talk about it. That being said, they are committed to their representation of Hallifax, I'm always impressed when I interact with notable Hallifaxians because they are always on their toes. 

I would say the weakest are Gaudiguch (sorry, my org and I love them but I'm being honest) and Magnagora. Gaudiguch RP is half amazing and unique outlook on their existance, half chatroom. Magnagora is and has lived up to their amazing potential in the past. I would say following the d'Murani (noble family) departure somewgat, the overall RP cratered. Now they are back to evil for the sake of evil, almost comical tying damsels to railroad tracks style RP where being evil justifies virtually anything. It's quite literally "We're the best so everything we do is justified by that," which gets pretty old and tedious. 

Celest and Seren floating somewhere in the middle. I think Seren doesn't get enough credit for the work they put into it because "regular forest" can come across as somewhat boring or at least predictable in terms of stereotypical RPG archetypes. 
  • Come to Magnagora and I'll give you all the hardcore roleplay you could ever want. Might be more than you can handle, though. I'm a roleplay monster.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Also be sure to check out specific guild RPs. Some have some pretty incredible and fantastic lore that gives them opportunities for some really neat stuff.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Can say, I don't like Seren after playing there for years. But Seren guard is top notch rp.
  • Thanks for the advice and information, everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm still undecided, though, just in case anyone else wouldn't mind chiming in.
  • Come to Hallifax. We allow ANY kind of roleplay flavor, good or evil, as long as you FOLLOW THE LAW.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    And if you get an elected position, even that last bit is optional.  O:-)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • For me, Glomdoring is a deeply personal connection that flourished in the attitude and mindset of the commune's player base. The idea of 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' to nab a handy phrase from above could not be more true--Glomdoring rises and falls together and does not place unnecessary value on the contributions of the individual except as extensions of the Wyrd. 

Despite being gone for a significant amount of time, I still see the beauty of this mindset in action--from the commitment to consistent roleplay in character development to the spread of Glom-propaganda through our mantras and posts--and for me this makes for the perfect venue through which to develop my own character even further and to challenge myself in ways that I never thought possible. 

For someone contemplating where to begin, I'd really encourage you to try out a few different characters set in different communes and cities. At the end of the day, I'd look to see what group really speaks to you as an individual on an ic and ooc level and trust that you'll without a doubt know when you find what's exactly right for you.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Daraius said:
    And if you get an elected position, even that last bit is optional.  O:-)

Or write enough books. Really, any sufficiently useful person can ignore the law as long as they aren't too blatant about it. Which is exactly as it should be for a bearocratic despotism type government.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Not enough raves go to the Tahtetso and their lore. The concept of Lumosis and the 3 Luminous Counsels of Humility, Discipline, and Sacrifice is super cool, and can allow for a lot of interesting RP. You're expected to have singular focus on your goals of furthering the Light and flaming your Divine Spark. That allows for some really good "sacrifice the few, save the many" type scenarios, which I think are a lot of fun to RP with.

Plus, our advancement system is the best ever, and the various graduation ceremonies are super well written and immersive.

• I have to say as a fellow new player I'm deeply unimpressed with Lusternia so far, I can't really gel into the whole theme and I feel like the guild skills are an excercise in lazy design because they're basically the same, or at least from what I've seen they are, but again that could just be from what I've seen so far.

I guess where my personal peeve comes in is people walk around talking about "it gives you a 10% crit" and "I'm at -10 right now" and it completely detracts from what could be an amazing RP atmosphere. I've also noticed that people like to sit at a certain nexus of power, and influence mobs for hours, which maybe has a purpose I'm not aware of at this point in time, but I'm talking strictly from a "just walked into the game" standpoint. Keep all this in mind when you decide if/where you will play.

NOW! All that being said I have had some completely amazing roleplay with some people in Magnagora, where my character is from, and with that some amazing roleplay from the Nihilists, most prominently Esca, the guild leader. I've also had some amazing RP with Marcella. Those two are responsible for mostly all the information I've had on the lore of the game and the history that lead up to where we are now. I literally haven't RP'd with anyone outside of Magnagora yet, but I'm lead to believe (haven't seen it yet) that RP between the Orgs exists.

I highly suggest Magnagora but it's all I've experienced so far, and there is definitely good and bad but that is every game ever, right? Give it a shot and if it comes down to it, make a char in every city and find what you like most. No matter what you choose, READ THE HISTORY ON THE WEBSITE, aside from a couple of typos it is absolutely amazing.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Every org has its own culture and brand of RP, each of which are valid and fun for the people who engage in it. I like playing in Hallifax, but I also can easily see the appeal in playing in Gaudiguch as Pyromancer, or a Moondancer in Serenwilde, or a Nihilist in Magnagora, or a Paladin in Celest, or a Harbinger in the Glomdoring. I'm a big believer in "you get what you put into Lusternia," at the very least when it comes to roleplay. Don't be the person who expects great roleplay to come to you, be the person that people go to for great roleplay.

That said, I know I wouldn't be as immersed in Hallifax if it wasn't for people like Phoebus, Daraius, Nihmriel, Arel, etc who helped me when I was just starting out. And it's rough if you can't find your people right away in your org, but from everything I hear about the other cities and communes in game, those RP communities do exist everywhere, just in different forms. The histories for Lusternia are kind of its big selling point for me too, and you'll find there are people as passionate about them as you are. It sounds like you're already finding your people, which is awesome! Things can be hard when you're starting out (my newbie experience was pretty tough), but once you get into the swing of things and have that community of people established, it's my experience that good roleplay becomes easier to find.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • It's really, really up to you and I'm going to be voicing what others have said, that said..

Read through the histories, the help documents for each Org that give you the basics of their RP. Find the one that calls to you, it may not be the right choice in the end but going somewhere just because someone told you it's awesome sometimes isn't enough.

In my experience, I've three Orgs I've always been torn between: Serenwilde, Glomdoring and Gaudiguch.

Serenwilde and Gaudiguch for me started off great but in the end didn't hold up to my hopes and desires for what I wanted for myself in this game. Glomdoring has been my fall back in more than one way, I feel the most connected to the people who play there, I can talk to them, have fun and I don't feel judged or unwanted because I'm friendly with the "wrong" people. I can't say I've always been happy there, but generally there is the feeling of a close community and a helpful and welcoming one despite the whole No Mercy thing. :p

Plus the RP is just awesome. 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited March 2016
    Hmm. I've tried three organizations in particular: Gaudiguch, Celest, and of course: Glomdoring.

Celest, back in the Malicia and Nydekion days, were all about the mentality of: "The world is divided in two: the Light and the Enemy." It was this mentality that made me love Celest, despite being wholly opposed to them. They were not just your goodie-two-shoes Paladin archetype, but rather the "Light is not Good" archetype as Celest was willing to do and achieve anything to re-assert the Light's dominance on the Basin once more. That has faded a bit recently, but you still have a ton of potential with roleplay with deepbonding to Supernals and the messages with pacting with them are really great.

Gaudiguch, on the outer layer, may seem like "FREEDOM!" but it really has a very dark undertone if you pay attention to what a lot of the mobs say across it. Gaudiguch is indeed about freedom in the spiritual sense, but a lot of opinions from denizens will tell you that they don't give two sh*ts about morality because the flesh is ultimately a lie. The flesh can be transformed, shaped, remade. It's the spirit that is immutable. So, while the Basin at large views them as a bunch of crazy, high-as-a-kite, drunken mob screaming about individuality and freedom, they still possess some very dubious view points on the Basin as a whole. I was able to see this by only spending a little time there with an alt.

Glomdoring, the organization that I've been with since the beginning, is something truly amazing (but I am biased). The environment is all about "there is no individuality, no personal pride, no personal ambition. There is only one thing that we advance: the Wyrd." As @Celina stated, the Wyrd is an amorphous, ambiguous form of evolution. People in Glomdoring have different definitions of it but are singular in their belief that it is the one true future for the Basin. Nienla's RP generally consists of the mentality that the Wyrd is evolution. It was created as a natural response for mortalkind to be able to have the strength necessary to deal with the Taint, the Soulless, or whatever boogieman-of-the-week decides to rear their ugly head and threaten the Basin. It's very Darwinist in that the strong endure and the weak will fall. However, that does not mean that they're cruel or callous to their novices. On the contrary, they believe that everyone must start somewhere and everyone, large or small, is capable of contributing to the overall greater whole that is Glomdoring. As @Narynth said, there is a very different mentality with Glomdoring. When someone is saying "Nothing matters but Glomdoring", it's not just a chant of dominance. It's basically saying: "there's no pride, ambition, glory, ego, etc. There's only the Glomdoring and nothing else matters." It's a diehard, zealous, cult-like following.

As for people who RP, I come from Aetolia so I'm always down for roleplay. A majority in Glomdoring roleplay quite regularly and I would say that there are some diverse identities. A lot of people think Glomdoring, as an example, is all about being dark and gloomy, but the Blacktalon would respectfully disagree. The Blacktalon guild (or at least Crek, Nienla, and a few others) are pretty much insane, talk about carrion like it's the best thing in the world, and are homicidally manic and nuts. Nienla falls into that archetype pretty well, I'd say.