Simple Ideas

Comments

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Replace "Lit/Unlit" on PIPELIST with "*" to indicate a runed pipe. Makes it a little easier to track certain things system-wise.
  • Put a mean height and weight in every racial helpfile.
  • Sarrasri said:
    Put the base price in parenthesis to the shopowner/ally so if the owner/ally have a discount affecting them, they don't need to either do math/alter policies or keep a running tally in a notepad or something of what they have things priced at.
    With the added psychological benefit of "Yes! I have a discount!" starkly visual right there on the prices. I forget sometimes what shops it's active for me at.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Not So Simple Idea 

I noticed Imperian has Config ArtifactMsg which allows you to customise your artifact use messages and so on, maybe we could add that config here? Like if I wanted to customise the messages and colours on a dirigible or a dingbat chest.

Their helpfile, slightly modified for Lusternia

ARTIFACT MESSAGES
    Some artifacts can have their messages customized using the CONFIG ARTIFACTMSG command (which is only available if you own an artifact that can be customized). The following global guidelines apply to all customized messages:
     - Customized messages must follow normal language rules
     - Customized messages should fit in-character. Don't submit out-of-character inside jokes, things that don't fit the theme and roles in Lusternia SPECIAL STRINGS (message variables)

Messages can include a set of special strings that can be used in your messages, which will be replaced by the appropriate values when the message is used. You can add a + between $ and (, to capitalise the first letter of that word, so that it will display correctly. For example, $+(he$) would show He or She, but $(he$) would show he or she. It is important to do this at the beginning of sentences, or anywhere else capitalization is required.

The following strings exist. Each section below will note which of these strings they support.
    $(caster$)                - This is the person doing the movement, performing the attack, etc
    $(name$)                  - Like caster, but used instead of it in emotes.
    $(his$)/$(him$)/$(he$)    - Gender specific pronouns for the caster.
    $(target$)                - This is the person being killed (for deathsight).
    $(lname$)                 - Like target, but used instead of it in emotes.
    $(lhis$)/$(lhim$)/$(lhe$) - Gender specific pronouns for the target.
    $(enter_direction$)       - The direction from which caster is entering
    $(leave_direction$)       - The direction to which caster is leaving.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • When you try to whip something without wielding a whip, you get the generic "That is not a valid command." It would be nice if there was a whip-specific line.
  • Mrak said:
    When you try to whip something without wielding a whip, you get the generic "That is not a valid command." It would be nice if there was a whip-specific line.
    "Who you try'n'a whip, boy?"
  • Despite what you may have heard, without a whip, you cannot in fact whip it. Whip it good.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tridemon said:
    Despite what you may have heard, without a whip, you cannot in fact whip it. Whip it good.
    Not even if something comes along?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Currently, in organizational logs, any newbie who suicides/gets deleted is listed as having quit the organization using the same message as people who actually quit with the QUIT syntax and are still playing. Could they be more distinguishable, please?
  • I like the wyrd one actually...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited August 2017
    Can the restriction on trademasters for city cartels PLEASE be reverted or at least eased up?  Celest jewelery cartel has had no trademaster for a while now, but with Kagato currently being the Tailoring trademaster, I would need to vacate that position, which I filled due to it being held by a long-dormant character, having to leave ARTISAN vacant as a result (which was filled by Sao).

Even if it was made that someone could only be trademaster of two cartels at most, it would make things more manageable and mean that we would not have city cartels sitting unused.

The other option is to relax the requirements to challenge for trademaster so that one no longer needs 150 hours logged just to get trademaster.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Kagato said:
    Can the restriction on trademasters for city cartels PLEASE be reverted or at least eased up?  Celest jewelery cartel has had no trademaster for a while now, but with Kagato currently being the Tailoring trademaster, I would need to vacate that position, which I filled due to it being held by a long-dormant character, having to leave ARTISAN vacant as a result (which was filled by Sao).

Even if it was made that someone could only be trademaster of two cartels at most, it would make things more manageable and mean that we would not have city cartels sitting unused.

The other option is to relax the requirements to challenge for trademaster so that one no longer needs 150 hours logged just to get trademaster.
    As far as I'm aware, there is no restriction on how many org cartels you can be TM of. As long as you have the skill active (or temporarily forgotten), you can be TM. I know someone who was TM of two org cartels. What makes you think it's impossible?
    I have tried it. 

(p) < [ex][10] | [0]  | [8800|129h] [10800|116m] [100e] | [85907446] [Esteem: 107] | []."contest vacant as trademaster of diamondlight
    You can't contest for a trademaster position while you're already trademaster of another
    organizational cartel.
    (p) < [ex][10] | [0]  | [8800|129h] [10800|116m] [100e] | [85907446] [Esteem: 107] | []."

• Kagato said:
    I have tried it. 

(p) < [ex][10] | [0]  | [8800|129h] [10800|116m] [100e] | [85907446] [Esteem: 107] | []."contest vacant as trademaster of diamondlight
    You can't contest for a trademaster position while you're already trademaster of another
    organizational cartel.
    (p) < [ex][10] | [0]  | [8800|129h] [10800|116m] [100e] | [85907446] [Esteem: 107] | []."

Oh, wow. Then yeah, I hope that gets changed.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Can you resign and then contest both at the same time?
  • @Kagato have you tried contesting after skillflexing to the appropriate trade skill? I'm curious if the issue is that you have the wrong active cartel? We've had folks in Gaudi hold multiple TM positions.
    edited August 2017
    I think it was changed because at one point we had people holding TM of 4 or 5 of the city/commune cartels - Pretty sure Faragan held most of the Celest ones at one point before it was changed.  Yes, I was flexed to the correct skill.  Tested contesting for a skillset I was not flexed into, got this as an error:

(p) < [ex][10] | [0]  | [6800|100h] [9300|100m] [100e] | [85907446] [Esteem: 107] | []."contest qoivhae as trademaster of goldenquill
    You have no authority to contest Stellar Scholar Qoivhae Vivalde, of Singing Seashells's position as
    trademaster of the Goldenquill Bookbinding Cartel.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    No offense, but I think you're trying to take too big a bite of the pie, so to speak. All your org cartels don't have to constantly be in use. Take it easy :)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • If people really want something submitted in a cartel I am sure they will contest with full support, I just don't see a reason to grandmaster two org cartels. If you really wanted to I suppose you could just grab your own cartels and let people submit through it.
    edited August 2017
    Allixea said:
    If people really want something submitted in a cartel I am sure they will contest with full support, I just don't see a reason to grandmaster two org cartels. If you really wanted to I suppose you could just grab your own cartels and let people submit through it.
    Doing so requires a 1 million gold investment though, which is prohibitively expensive if someone only wants to submit a couple of designs. 

Oh, plus 25 credits for a bubble of popularity if your clan slots are full. A city cartel does not take a clan slot in comparison, because it is not considered a 'clan' in the traditional sense.

I don't think that requesting the restrictions be lightened to a cap of 2 city cartels is "too much", given that the main reason the restriction seems to have been introduced is a few people that tried to monopolise all 6 city cartels, whereas now, because each cartel requires a unique individual, you have cartels going completely unused for periods of time.

I have the Festival of Light coming up for the city, if someone had not recently used an alt to step up, I would not be able to submit contest designs of that type without challenging back and forth. It makes no sense to submit city competition designs to a privately owned cartel.

• I flex between tailoring and jewellery. I'm the org cartel TM for tailoring (after its previous TM went dormant), but the jewellery TM is dormant too so I haven't been able to submit anything. I made some rings for an org shop but had to go through someone's personal cartel because I couldn't use the org one. My clan slots are already full. I'm not going to spend a million gold to buy my own jewellery cartel and another 25 credits to be able to have the slot for it, especially since I want to encourage use of the org one and make designs specifically for the org. People complain about how there are too many clans and cartels, and how underutilised the org ones are, but then when someone actually does try to make the org cartel useable, you accuse them of grandmastering and act like they're crazy for wanting to make use of them.
    Xenthos said:
    Has anyone tried this?
  • Xenthos said:
    Xenthos said:
    Has anyone tried this?
    I have not. I don't have the gold for it and frankly don't care enough at this point. Maybe someone else can and let us know how it goes...

• @Kagato that's fair, but I still feel like trade mastering two cartels is unnecessary. Each org has to have at least one person in each trade and the city cartels should really be more open to newer players. It could be a good way for newer players to learn about contesting, taking responsibility in the game, and it might be nice to spread the responsibility around. I bet joining a new game where you know no one could be rough when no one let's you have responsibility. 

P.s. no idea why this is quoted D: on mobile, pretty sure I broke it
    edited August 2017
    That assumes people WANT to take the role on.  I'd rather have someone ACTIVE holding trademaster of two cartels than someone take on a trademaster role only to subsequently go dormant due to it being an alt, leaving the cartel completely unable to be used. The Jewellery cartel in Celest has had no trademaster for somewhere around a month or more, the previous tailoring trademaster had been dormant for well over a month before I stepped down from Artisan to challenge, which Artisan had ALSO been vacant for a lengthy time.  I am pretty sure the ONLY reason that someone happened to challenge recently for the jewellery cartel in Celest is because I mentioned it here on the forums.  The timing otherwise is EXTREMELY convenient.

Again, I am NOT asking for the cap to be removed.  I am simply asking for it to be relaxed to a cap of two cartels.

edited August 2017
    @Kagato

Xenthos said:
    Xenthos said:
    Has anyone tried this?

I feel like trying this would be a fair bit faster than repeatedly posting essays, especially as nothing is likely to be done on multiple fronts for a couple of weeks (see the recent announce post).  Not sure what the odds are that these rants will be remembered in a couple weeks are, but probably not as high as getting attention paid to the issue via idea or bug (if the above works) as those do not have to deal with bumps.
  • Please put the Constance Walker quest back to the original requirements and no longer take 24 loti spores. That, or have it not release aurawarp. This is a wildly lopsidded conflict quest design.