Class and Race

KelhraeKelhrae Member Posts: 4 Inept
Hi everyone,

So it has been a very long time since I logged into Lusternia. I hit level 100, did some combat here and there when there were raids and what not and then life got in the way and I stopped playing. After reading the emails I get regarding Iron Realms, I decided to come back and check out Lusty again. However, it seems a whole lot has changed in the years I have been gone and that is putting it mildly heh.

So I have a few questions:

1) Races still affect class selection? I remember Faeling doing well in Glomdoring due to the Night and Crow totems, but not as well in other orgs. Is that still a factor when picking classes? Should I pick a class first and then race, or build my class around the race I like?

2) Last time I played I was a knight, switched to Pyromancer. I like the Cavalier idea. But seems knights are in a bad spot right now? So I'm kind of open for anything. I am in Glomdoring so a class there. What is recommended for good bashing, decent combat? I don't want something super complex while I get back into the swing of things, but I don't something where it's make 3 aliases and button mash. (Yes that is a very very simplistic idea and no class is actually like that, just using it as an illustration.)

3) Game is now free to play and I guess you get credits each day for doing things... can someone explain this a bit better? I read the help file, but I'm still a bit confused. (That could be because it is almost 10pm and I'm exhausted as well but I just had to start jumping into things now heh.)

I'll probably buy the 2 no brainer lesson packs, and the elite membership. Though the membership might wait a bit until I know for sure that I am going to really get back into this.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

Oh yeah... someone able to give me a break down of combat now? Seems a lot has changed and I'm trying to get an overview of pre 2013 vs now.

Answers

  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 7,020 Transcendent
    You can get a maximum of 20 bound credits per day just by doing things.  Quests give a flat amount (once per day).  If you do two different quests both will give you the dailies.  If you then try to do one of them again in the same day you will not get dailies again (no repeats).
    I tend to do a mixture of hunting and quests to get to 20.
    Races are much less essential now.  There are no more stats.  You can be whatever race you like in whatever class with success.  Races get racial powers instead at certain levels, useful perks and such.  Faelings in Glom still become shadow faelings though (even though there is no longer a mechanical change).
    Knights are still good for PvE, not so great for PvP.  Monks are pretty good in both, but also more complex.  Bards are probably a happy medium.  One thing to consider is using dailies to get one of those golden whip of the pious; these things are really good for the cost and will let pretty much any class be decent at PvE, for the killing end of things at least.
    Everyone has server side curing now!  Make sure to use that.
    image
  • DrastrathDrastrath Member Posts: 88 Apprentice
    1. Race selection is very minimal anymore, but to truly min/max then I would suggest looking at Demi/Demi+ traits (since FTP). Also, I think a felt hat to RP a different race is quite cheap. In conclusion, race only truly matters with two high priced artifacts (Spark and Wonderpipe), but I would still look at Demi traits before making my decision. 

    2. In a combat setting, Druids are currently in a rework. You can not go wrong with bard/monk/wiccan. Warrior is most likely feasible, but the amount of effort to produce gains will be a lot more. This is just my opinion.

    3. FTP is basically you can earn up to 20 credits a day. On top of this every org gets credits, and orgs normally use them as rewards.

  • KelhraeKelhrae Member Posts: 4 Inept
    Xenthos said:
     One thing to consider is using dailies to get one of those golden whip of the pious; these things are really good for the cost and will let pretty much any class be decent at PvE, for the killing end of things at least.
    Are those better then the wonder wand thing? I got a wonder crystal last night while working on the newbie tasks, turned it into a wand. Not sure how it compares to the whips.

    Drastrath said:
    1. Race selection is very minimal anymore, but to truly min/max then I would suggest looking at Demi/Demi+ traits (since FTP). Also, I think a felt hat to RP a different race is quite cheap. In conclusion, race only truly matters with two high priced artifacts (Spark and Wonderpipe), but I would still look at Demi traits before making my decision. 

    2. In a combat setting, Druids are currently in a rework. You can not go wrong with bard/monk/wiccan. Warrior is most likely feasible, but the amount of effort to produce gains will be a lot more. This is just my opinion.

    3. FTP is basically you can earn up to 20 credits a day. On top of this every org gets credits, and orgs normally use them as rewards.

    For the race Demi/Demi+, I was looking at Orclach as it seems to get a resist bonus as well as regen from kills? Human grants a bonus to resistances and damage output, is that by itself or is it increasing any bonuses I get solely? Also, Dracnari breathe fire, has a 10% chance to fire on denizens, is it actually worth it?

    Thank you both for all the info so far. I really appreciate it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 7,020 Transcendent
    Wonderwand is not great until you have a lot of crystals in it.  It does more damage as more crystals are added to it, and takes 20 crystals to max out.  It probably shouldn't be your first wonderitem.  Wondercornucopia should be, really.  It only takes 10 crystals to fully build it and has a bunch of useful buffs.  Unfortunately you cannot retrieve your crystal from the wand... destroying a wonderitem deletes 1 of the crystals used to build it.
    You might be able to do an issue me asking for a refund as a newbie who does not know how wonderthings work, though.
    image
  • KelhraeKelhrae Member Posts: 4 Inept
    Xenthos said:
    Wonderwand is not great until you have a lot of crystals in it.  It does more damage as more crystals are added to it, and takes 20 crystals to max out.  It probably shouldn't be your first wonderitem.  Wondercornucopia should be, really.  It only takes 10 crystals to fully build it and has a bunch of useful buffs.  Unfortunately you cannot retrieve your crystal from the wand... destroying a wonderitem deletes 1 of the crystals used to build it.
    You might be able to do an issue me asking for a refund as a newbie who does not know how wonderthings work, though.
    See this is probably why I ask questions before I do things heh. I went with the wand using the train of logic of it's an artifact type weapon, even level 1 should do more damage than basic weapons. I'll issue myself and see what they say.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 7,020 Transcendent
    edited May 2019
    Don't get me wrong, I am fond of my wand... but it is fully gem'd.  I don't think I would try using a 1-gem wand.
    Gnome weapons are better in many cases than wands anyways, but are also somewhat difficult to make.  A whip is cheap and you can get 66% of the cost back anyways when you do get around to an upgrade (either wand or gnome), so it is just all-around a good purchase imo.  Make sure to get the Divinus one though!
    image
  • KelhraeKelhrae Member Posts: 4 Inept
    Xenthos said:
    Don't get me wrong, I am fond of my wand... but it is fully gem'd.  I don't think I would try using a 1-gem wand.
    Gnome weapons are better in many cases than wands anyways, but are also somewhat difficult to make.  A whip is cheap and you can get 66% of the cost back anyways when you do get around to an upgrade (either wand or gnome), so it is just all-around a good purchase imo.  Make sure to get the Divinus one though!
    I submitted the issue, we will see what they say. The cornucopia gives a crystal or goop, do you get to decide? From what I have been reading a fully buffed gnomeweapon is like 18.5k goop, and you get 500 possibly per game year which is what... 12-13 days? So that still seems like a better investment. I wouldn't have thought about that if you hadn't mentioned it. I saw cornucopia and assumed it was just food so I skipped it like a noob.
  • DrastrathDrastrath Member Posts: 88 Apprentice
    edited May 2019
    Racial Rundown
    Possible Top Tier
    Aslaran - Really good for chasing and mobile classes. I could see it working for any class that doesn't need to stay in the same room. 
     Demi+ -Adds a stun. 

    Dracnari - Good for any class focusing Ice afflictions. Also, would work for any class that deals burns or needs the enemy set ablaze. Could work great with monks or warriors. 
    Demi+ - A better version 

    Furrikin - Fast tumble. Fast PvE writhe. Non-acrobats
    Demi+ - Faster tumble. Faster wirthe anytime.

    Igasho - Carry is just good.
    Demi+ - Unstoppable carry is huge especially since GPent is being used in Timequakes. Good for offense and defense. High power cost though. 

    Lucidian - Power generation and better reserves.
    Demi+ - Faster power recovery (Very good).

    Taurian - possible extra damage or stuns
    Demi+ - Better enrage.

    Viscanti - possible extra dust. 
    Demi+ - better poison breathe 

    Mid Tier 
    Dwarf, Human, Faeling, Elfen, Loboshigaru, Mugwump, Merian, and Kephera.

    Low Tier 
    Krokani, Illithoid, and Tae'Dae

    ??? Tier
    Trill and Orclach

    These are just my thoughts. More seasoned players may move these around a bit.

    Edit: Edited formatting.
Sign In or Register to comment.