You May Now Stab the Merian - a Magnagoran Wedding

An actual wedding! Not an elopement, amazingly enough. Huge thanks again to @Kailanna for the ceremony. I unfortunately didn't save the html so there's no colours, sorry! The start is the sunset view from the top of the d'Murani tower, and I left in a little at the end because it amused me.

A touch of warmth filters through the smog as the sun travels towards the horizon, faded yellows and oranges illuminating the brickwork.

Shadows grow longer in anticipation for the return of their dark mistress as Father Sun's chase brings him closer to the world's edge.

As darkness descends upon the city, a small spark ignites atop a nearby gas lamp, but the flame quickly sputters out.

Your eyes are blinded by a sudden burst of warmth and light from the setting sun as it dips just below the line of pollution that wreathes the city. Manifesting in all its glory, the sunset sears the horizon with smouldering golden light.

The smokestacks darken, the light illuminating them from the other side, to form a skyline of stark shadow-clad shapes against a burnished gold firmament.

You have emoted: Sapphira smiles softly at Uzriel before her eyes turn to the view of the magnificent sunset.

As dusk arrives, shadows lengthen, and the rays of light set the steel aflame. Below, a shift change pumps new life into the Dreadhelm foundries, their smokestacks releasing clouds of soot into the autumn-hued sky as the engines of war churn ever forwards.

The scent wafts strong upon the evening breeze, penetrating the nostrils. It is soot and smoke, acrid and unpalatable, but it is like a breath of fresh air and sets the mind racing. The sudden alacrity is rapturous, almost intoxicating, and in that very moment the engine thrums beneath you, cogs clicking and whirring, all working in perfect unison of purpose.

The feeling passes, almost impossible to capture and hold onto, but a clarity of mind remains as the sun vanishes over the horizon, cloaking the city in slate greys, stately blues, and blacks.

Kailanna watches the changing colours with an expression of fondness and pride before turning to the couple. "A fine opening, I think. Shall we begin?"

Uzriel shifts his attention back towards Kailanna with a brief nod.

You let loose a long breath from your lungs, exhaling slowly.

Kailanna steps gracefully to a place near the edge of the garden, gesturing for you and Uzriel to stand before her in the centre.

Vatul slips his hands into his jacket pockets, settling in at his side for the ceremony to begin along the garden.

As the sun passes below the horizon's edge, Mother Night unveils her terrible, shadowy beauty, spreading darkness across the land.

Uzriel steps up before Kailanna, flashing a small grin sideways towards you.

Opening her hands to encompass those gathered, Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says, "Thank you all for gathering here, at this most important time. Dusk is especially valuable to us both for its great artistic beauty: a palette of colours far grander than either day or night. It is also symbolic of many things Magnagoran, life into death, and though that change, transformation into something new and wondrous."

You have emoted: Sapphira gives Uzriel a little sidelong smile as Kailanna speaks.

Kailanna gives a nod of acknowledgement to the pair before her, continuing. "Marriage is a type of transformation as well. Separate to joined, the creation of something newer, stronger. More able to influence and direct the change we so value."

Clasping her hands before her, Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says, "Marriage is also an acceptance of duty, of a greater responsibility for the health and direction of a family, the acknowledgment of the value of ties of blood and of oath. Family is among the most important responsibilities we can take on, as it is the responsibility of planning for the future. Not only solidifying a legacy, but creating and moulding future generations, those that will have the reins of this city and the world."

With a serious expression, Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says, "This is even more important for the nobility, as it is the duty of those of noble blood to lead those beneath them, to provide an example of who a true Magnagoran must be. Protecting and safeguarding the ancient bloodlines is vital to ensuring the Engine is properly directed, even after one's own time has passed."

Kailanna takes a slight step back, signifying a ceding of the floor. "I believe you have prepared your own vows?"

Kailanna turns to Uzriel with a nod.

You have emoted: Sapphira nods towards Kailanna, turning a little to face Uzriel, a soft smile curving her lips.

Uzriel nods as he turns to address you, procuring a small notepad from his pocket to use as reference guide as he begins his vows.

Glancing between the notepad and his bride with a small smile, Geochemist Uzriel d'Murani, the Gloaming's Catalyst says, "Sapphira, I've known you and been there for you since your first days out of the portal. Guiding you when you were still learning how to be a proper Magnagoran and noble. You hardly needed my help though, as you flourished within the city into the proud noble that you are today as you let your dark passions guide you, finding a place in the Society, in Magnagora, and among the Enchantress's Chosen."

Geochemist Uzriel d'Murani, the Gloaming's Catalyst says, "And even as you made ambitious progress yourself, you were there assisting me in my own endevours. All the while, even as I tended towards the scientific, and you towards the artistic - it was clear there was a common bond between us. The same dark passion that drives you also drives me - to push the engine forward, to admire the dusk, to do what is necessary and enjoy success because of it. And more and more that common spark grew into something more."

The corners of Ixion's mouth turn up as he grins mischeviously.

You smile softly at Uzriel.

Closing the notepad and slipping it back into his pocket as he speaks resolutely, Geochemist Uzriel d'Murani, the Gloaming's Catalyst says, "And so today beneath the Dusk while overlooking the city of Transformation we bind ourselves and our houses together in blood and in our dark passions. And so to you I swear, to be your husband and stand by your side in life, death, and undeath. To be your rock and your foundation. To support you and all your endevours. To push you forward, while not let myself fall behind either. To spill blood for you. And yes, to love you. All this I swear to you."

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across Vatul's lips.

Uzriel reaches out and takes your hand into his, slipping onto it a sterling wedding band of gold and lapis as he finishes the vows.

You have emoted: Sapphira can't help but smile, a little laugh of sheer joy escaping her lips as the ring slips onto her finger.

You slip into a sterling wedding band of gold and lapis.

Kailanna tells you, "I believe that would make it your turn now, dear."

Choros smiles softly.

You have emoted: Sapphira exhales a slow, steadying breath as she lifts her head, gaze meeting Uzriel's as she speaks. "I never had to think about if you were the right one for me. I just knew. You intrigued me from the first moment we met, challenged and encouraged me, even occasionally chastised me as I found my way within Magnagora." Her lips curve wryly. "Every woman with a penchant for romance has an image of their ideal mate in mind, and I was no different - A man of breeding and intelligence, of sharp wit and ingenuity, of strength and initiative, and ridiculously good looking. Except the more I got to know you, the more that man looked like you...that man is you."

You say, "I am better when I am with you. You are my inspiration, my greatest support, and my unshakeable rock. We share an appreciation for the artistic and scientific, even if we approach things in different ways - we complement each other. Uzriel, you are my favourite person and my best friend."

You have emoted: Sapphira pauses, inhaling before continuing resolutely, voice never faltering. "And so, under the sky of our Lady and before these witnesses, I vow to be a good wife to you - to stand by your side in undeath and in life. To be your steadfast assistant without complaint in all your scientific experiments, and to support your dreams and ambitions. I promise to be true to you, to uphold the good and noble name of our family, and raise any children we should have to be useful members of Magnagoran society or slay them without prejudice should they disappoint. I vow to share with you my hopes and dreams, my secrets and gossip, my gripes and grievances - but most of all I vow to never let you regret choosing me to be your lab assistant and your wife. I vow to love you, all of my days."

You have emoted: Sapphira takes Uzriel's hand in her own, and slips a ring upon his finger, laughing softly when it briefly catches on his knuckle.

You give a piceous wedding band of gold and lapis to Geochemist Uzriel d'Murani, the Gloaming's Catalyst.

Uzriel slips into a piceous wedding band of gold and lapis.

"Awwwww!" Ixion says.

Kailanna smiles faintly, giving a nod of approval as the vows are finished. "Well spoken, both of you. Remember what you have vowed, as these are not oaths lightly broken." She looks about those gathered, eyes settling once more on the pair before her. "Now, before this binding is official, a few words on sacrifice."

Uzriel smiles faintly at you and the vows before he looks down at the ring in admiration, jerking his head up towards Kailanna.

Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says, "Sacrifice can mean many things, and changes based upon perspective, origins, and viewpoints. When some think of sacrifice, they think of being willing, even eager, to give their lives for a greater cause."

Kailanna pauses, allowing a moment of thought on the concept before continuing. She gives a nod to the Magnagorans present. "In Magnagora, we understand that sacrifice is also a kind of transformation, and that we as leaders, as those with the greatest vision for the future, are better equipped to determine which causes are greater, and what lives should be given to realize them."

Kailanna raises her hands to you and Uzriel as she continues, "Thus, these two young leaders have deemed it appropriate to make such a sacrifice now, toward the end of creating something greater." She takes a step back, ceding the floor once more.

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across Vatul's lips.

Uzriel gives a discrete signal to a pair servants who linger along the outskirts of the garden, they disappear downstairs momentarily before arrive again dragging a chained and gagged merian, who still maintains the noble bearings of a fresh captive not quite broken, he is brought before the couple and held there in place as Uzriel holds up a dagger pointing it towards the merian as he steps closer, motioning you to join him as he holds out his hand with the blade for you to grip too.

Uzriel begins to wield a surgical steel dagger in his right hand.

You have emoted: Sapphira steps close to Uzriel's side, her hand curling around the hilt of the dagger also.

Uzriel places the point of the blade down against the merian's chest and as the two apply pressure it cuts cleanly and smoothly into flesh, spraying blood as the two sever an artery, the merian's cries muffled by the gag.

Ixion quietly collects some of the merian's tears as they fall to the ground in a bloodstone vial.

You have emoted: Sapphira smiles with savage delight as the sharp blade splits flesh like butter, heedless of the spray of arterial blood that splatters the couple and any guests standing close enough. "As we begin in the warm blood of our lessers and enemies, so may we continue," she murmurs, giving the blade a subtle twist.

Blood flecks Vatul's chiseled visage, his expression one of delight in gleaming teeth.

Uzriel grins a little as he withdraws the dripping blade, bringing his other hand to rest on the merian who's flesh begins to turn gray and rigid as he is petrified into stone, the servants uncermoniously drag the fossilized remains out of the garden as Uzriel takes your hand in his with a squeeze, "Much better than a shared cake cutting mm?"

Kailanna steps forward once more, heedless of the blood pooling around her heels. "With this offering of life and of blood, this symbol of transformation and change, and by the authority vested in me as Warlady of Magnagora and as servant to the Lady Enchantress, I declare these two are wed. Let it be sealed with a kiss."

Uzriel leans into you and kisses you long and tenderly.

Choros claps his hands together merrily.

You have emoted: Sapphira laughs merrily, leaning into Uzriel to return the kiss sweetly.

Kailanna turns to those gathered with a smile "Then allow be to officially present Lord and Lady d'Vanecu."

Overseer Choros Shevat, Architect of the Invisible smiles and says, "Congratulations to you both."

Offering soft applause, Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says, "My congratulations to you both."

Kalas Ixion, the Devouring Blade says, "Congratulations to you both! It is a rare thing to be as impressed as I am by you two. As you both give vibrant hope to the newer generations of citizens, may you prove worthy of each other and be damned for eternity."

Vatul applauds politely, though the volume is quite loud all the same.

Uzriel turns to the crowd, still holding your hand as he gives a bow, "Thanks to you all for coming. I brought refreshments as well."

Uzriel gives a delicate champagne flute glass to you.

Lord Nightingale Vatul Feyranti, of the Danse Macabre says, "Well spoken, Lord Kalas. A blessing in blood is a sign of great portents to come without the chains of Fate."

You have emoted: Sapphira turns to the guests with a wide smile, hand in Uzriel's. "Thank you all so much for coming, for your kind words."

Uzriel gives a magnificent spiral wedding cake to you.

Ixion spreads some of those collected tears to butter the delicious looking merian steak before him.

Ixion licks his lips.

You say to Uzriel, "You remembered dessert, you are doing well as a husband already."

You have emoted: Sapphira grins behind a sip of champagne.

Uzriel smiles wryly at you.

Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says to you, "I should thank you both as well, for hosting a wedding. Most in the city tend to simply get married privately and move on."

With the hint of a smile, Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says to you, "Myself included."

Geochemist Uzriel d'Vanecu, the Gloaming's Catalyst says to you, "Of course I don't want the record for quickest divorce."

Kailanna laughs melodically at Uzriel.

Kalas Ixion, the Devouring Blade says, "Thanks for getting married with a shorter engagement than Alger and Jadryga."

A wry smile spreads across your face.

Geochemist Uzriel d'Vanecu, the Gloaming's Catalyst says to Kailanna, "Our thanks for the ceremony, we both were glad to not have to worry about the details of it. And it was a good Magnagoran affair."

Geochemist Uzriel d'Vanecu, the Gloaming's Catalyst says to Ixion, "Sapphira would have murdered me in my sleep."

Kalas Ixion, the Devouring Blade says, "Can't get married if you're re-undead?"

Ixion looses a quiet "Hrmm...", tugging gently on his salt and pepper scruff beard as he ponders for answers.

Ixion shrugs helplessly.

Geochemist Uzriel d'Vanecu, the Gloaming's Catalyst says to Ixion, "And probably buried me deep in a sealed sarcophagus."

You twiddle your thumbs.

Kalas Ixion, the Devouring Blade says, "The bonehoard has some extras."

You say, "Clearly I am too predictable and need to think of a new backup plan."

You glance askance.

Warlady Kailanna n'Kylbar, Matriarch of Jackals says to you, "You could seal the sarcophagus and then dump it in the sea. Geomancers would find it particularly torturous."

Choros's eyes sparkle with amusement.

You give a trillingly melodic laugh.

Geochemist Uzriel d'Vanecu, the Gloaming's Catalyst says to Kailanna, "Now that is just evil."

Comments

• Nice log! Although there should've been some mammoth steaks too!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Thanks for posting, and to @Kailanna on doing the ceremony!

I think we struck just the right balance on having a proper wedding rather than elopement but without overplanning everything.