Announce Post #3061: Ascension Postmortem

edited July 2020 in Announce Posts
First off, I apologize for this coming this late. I was out of town this last week and I spent all day Sunday driving home (~17.5 hours) and didn't have access to post this sooner.

There are a couple of things I want to address. First off, both Aonia and I have been reading both the forums and the feedback/PVP-discussion channels on Discord. A big thank you to those of you that expressed disappointment and criticism without resorting to abuse and insults. We do value your input here and we are hearing you. We want you to know that we will never want you to hold back criticisms, disappointments or anything as long as it is done like this, without the abuse and insults. So earnestly, to those of you that did so, thank you again for that.

This Ascension proved to overall, be much more competitive than the past few years. Each event had more people participating, had leads change consistently, and felt like either side would take it at any time. We had over 100 players participate in the final Ascension, which is the most I've personally seen in a long time.

We, unfortunately, did not anticipate the extreme amount of lag that occurred. We realized that lag could be an issue, and made several changes - including delaying the start of the event to apply what hotfixes we could - but not to the extent that it was. This is entirely on us and we are taking full responsibility. It is unacceptable that it occurred and it was a failing on our part.

Here are a few things we are working on to help reduce lag in the future.

1) Adjust GMCP - we're looking at how we send GMCP messages and attempting to optimize how it is built and sent to players.
- We may additionally add 'opt-in' parameters for GMCP which will limit how much information is being sent. Details on this are not fully worked out and may not be needed, but it's something under consideration.

2) SSC curing optimization - Something we've already started, but we have a mortal coder working on SSC optimizations to speed up how that works.
- We're also looking at beast focusing here, and that may result in changes to how it interacts with SSC.

3) More caching - One of the things I did while implementing the BODYSCAN EXPERIENCE report was to cache the value and only calculate it when needed. This will reduce the number of calculations done considerably and speed things up. The XP cache likely has little impact on something like Ascension but moving towards this model will help things overall. Things like prestige, resists, buffs, etc are all recalculated every time they're used so moving towards more caching will reduce that significantly.

4) Target and refactor any particularly slow things. This is something that will be ongoing and while we have a few initial things to look at such as a few issues with beasts. This will be ongoing.

5) We are investigating our servers to ensure that no problems are originating from them in addition to our codebase.

What I do promise to do moving forward with both myself and anyone else that's working on code is to make speed a priority, especially as they pertain to PVP and large scale events.

We recognize that whilst addressing the lag problems is the most important thing, we also believe that it is vital that we make recompense to the people who lost this Ascension. Apologies made only in words are less powerful than those that come in the form of action.

To this end, we have been in discussion with both Parhelion and Ixion regarding the matter. It has been agreed between us, and all parties, that the fairest thing to do is to raise Ixion as a True Ascendant in addition to Parhelion. We will hold an event this coming Saturday, 18th July, wherein he will receive this in an in-character manner.

We hope that in conjunction with the work we are doing to reduce lag in the future, this will address the very valid concerns and feelings that were brought to us, as well as ensuring that the incredible amount of work that went into the contest is not wasted due to something out of everyone's control.

With sincere apologies,

Aonia and Orael

Comments

•  :/
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Parhelion said:
    I fully support this action. If you're on the side that helped me win, and this makes you want to retire or stop playing, you are no better than the other side that said the same thing, and you can consider our friendship in any capacity ended no matter how long we've known each other. End of story.
    Nope.

I am not going to refrain from being upset about this unfair cop out of a solution because you told me to. The two week I've known you does not overwhelm the work we've been putting into Ascension related activities since February, or the hundred plus hours of work we put into this collectively as the underdog.

Ascension now means nothing, and that's a really sad outcome. It was the pinnacle event in all of IRE, and now it no longer is. I will not accept anyone dictating my feelings to me.
  • Jaspet said:
    Parhelion said:
    I fully support this action. If you're on the side that helped me win, and this makes you want to retire or stop playing, you are no better than the other side that said the same thing, and you can consider our friendship in any capacity ended no matter how long we've known each other. End of story.
     I will not accept anyone dictating my feelings to me.

Given how many people are pissed off at me because they feel like I owe it to them to share their opinions on whether Ixion deserves to be ascendant or not, I understand completely. 
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited July 2020
    Parhelion said:
    @Parhelion -- considering this stands as a nullification of our efforts as well now, and particularly with your having recently posted the following:

Parhelion said:

I'm fully aware that my team carried me. There's not a single person in the group that didn't help make sure this win happened. All I did was work my ass off to make sure they had something they could work with. What I wasn't going to do was go out of my way to make their work any harder than it had to be. I invested in myself, asked for help and advice, tweaked my reflexes, and tried to earn their support. I wasn't owed their support, and both Ixion and Ciaran deserved this more than I did.

I would strongly suggest that you find a more tactful way of encouraging your supporters to accept this decision than proclaiming the moral high ground with insinuations of "my way or the highway" coupled with blatant dismissals of our feelings in one fell swoop.

Edit: grammar.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited July 2020
    My apologies, I misspoke -- this is not a nullification of our efforts, but it is a lessening of them. Part of the intention of supporting a side in Ascension is also to prevent the raising of an Ascendant on the other side, is it not? Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the perspective I'm speaking from.

Regardless, I agree that there was likely no resolution to this that would keep everyone happy -- my issue is more with Parhelion's tone in the first quote I posted above.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Don't be a sore winner.
  • I for one applaud this decision, it felt like it was lag that beat our side moreso than being outplayed, and I think it reflects well on the admin to own up to the fact that it was an issue and reach a hand out to support somebody who also put a ton of work into ascension and preparing for it (lets be honest multiple years of work on Ixion's part) only to not have the contest be one outside of any player's control.

Kudos to the admin for owning up to it and seeking to address it.
  • Rancoura said:
    My apologies, I misspoke -- this is not a nullification of our efforts, but it is a lessening of them. Part of the intention of supporting a side in Ascension is also to prevent the raising of an Ascendant on the other side, is it not? Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the perspective I'm speaking from.

Regardless, I agree that there was likely no resolution to this that would keep everyone happy -- my issue is more with Parhelion's tone in the first quote I posted above.
    Speak for yourself, please. Regardless of what anyone believes, the choice for me of who to support for Ascension was extremely hard, and I was tempted to not come at all. Certainly that would have been the best option for me, politically and personally - it also would have felt cowardly, and like disappointing two people instead of one. But for various reasons and days of weighing pros and cons, I felt Ixion deserved the support more. That does not mean I wanted Choros to lose. I think in the last couple of weeks he's more than proved he also deserved to win, if only for all that he did to try and help Hallifax. I'm disappointed that my candidate lost, but not that Parhelion won.

But you do point to a mentality of why Ascension is so horribly toxic and will hopefully be changed next time around. Good riddance. This solution isn't perfect, but it's the most fair one that I can think of, so I'm glad they went with it.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • I'm surprised that Ascension is, essentially, that joke about, "It's not enough that we win, others have to lose." At least, it is, for some people. That stance seems incredibly punitive, especially since even Wyrdenwoods keep stating that Creeping is not the problem, but lag is. Lag is the responsibility of the admin team, and this move definitively shifts the blame to them (and they have owned up to it).

This is my first Ascension, but from the stories I heard, lag has always been a constant factor. The difference with this particular lag is that people knew exactly how it would play out. We raised issues about it beforehand. Xenthos, from his Discord messages, also implied that you raised issues before hand. Everyone knew, everyone raised concerns, and the admin didn't make the necessary changes beforehand. They admit that it was their bad, hence, this move.

Parhelion is still TA. He is the first (and, you could even argue, the legitimate) TA. Take the win. It is the win.
    It's pronounced "Maggy'!

Explorer (80%), Achiever (53%), Socializer (53%), Killer (13%)
    Bartle Taxonomy
    (test yourself)

• Please don't retire :( If game things are stressing you out too much, just take a few days break. I think it's just during Ascension time that emotions are high everywhere. Usually we're cool peoples!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Parhelion said:

If you helped with Ascension, either on Ixion's team or mine, thank you for caring to continue our mission of keeping Kethuru at bay. 
    Please don't. Discord is horribly toxic, as is a lot of the ooc clans lately. You worked hard to win Justice and deserved it, and you have consistently been the better person in all of this. There's no reason why anyone shouldn't have supported you over Ixion, and I'd have been happy to support both of you if possible. Take a few days away from this nonsense and see what happens this weekend, at least. You can always retire then if nothing changes.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • The only part of Ayisdra's post I agree with at the moment is that I don't like the idea of a 'special' aspect to it as in 'we're elevating this person to be in a category of their own that will never be replicated'. 

I actually totally am fine with Ixion being raised, but I think any event should be using the current seal, or that a discharge from the seal Ixion did win happens. 

On the other hand if this is setting that precedent that if something goes catastrophically wrong in the future, we do have the option of falling back on that same special aspect, then I have no problems. There should always be a backup plan and the history and culture of a game is constantly evolving. :) 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited July 2020
    Orael said:

I know the decision made today has upset a lot of you. I really do feel that it is what's best for Lusternia moving forward, and I do hope that those of you who are upset will continue to stick around and trust that while you may not agree with all the decisions we make, that we are earnestly trying to do our best for -everyone- as a whole. We will continue to listen to your views and criticism and opinions.

This is something I'm having trouble with.  I saw the reason for the War decision; it basically describes exactly the same situation, where a game issue affected both teams and arguably changed the outcome.  Emails about game concerns have gone un-responded to for quite a while now.  When you just make decisions without even attempting to get (edit: more than 2) player('s) input, and when the decisions feel completely and entirely arbitrary / contradictory (which these do), it's incredibly hard to trust in the earnestness of it.  I want to, but every decision / lack of response (which is itself a decision) just makes it harder and harder to do so.
    I feel like you could have made this a lot more of a community-accepted-as-a-whole instead of a half-and-half-divide with something like "We'll make Ixion the equivalent of a free VA," for example.  Another person floated giving him a medallion so he doesn't have to compete in any trials next year.  I'm sure that there would / could have been many other ideas put out that aren't just "hey you get a TA and you get a TA."  You could have done something that wasn't just undermining the concept of a competition.  Asked for input, said "Hey, we really feel like this was unfair, we want to take a break from past precedent and chart a new path, what would you all think about that and how can we go about it?"  Tried to make at least something approaching a consensus instead of just hammering home the division that exists in Lusternia.  Mute criticism by being actively transparent and involving people vs. what we got.
    Personally though, I was on team "Certain players were pushing for delaying Ascension further before it even began."  I strongly feel that was the right call.  As you say, it's too late now, and that's too bad.

This discussion has been closed.