Never Unprepared

edited March 2021 in Event Scrolls
Dun dun dun, ANOTHER thread in the same night? That's because there are MORE ADVENTURES and I am slow at cleaning logs.

Following @Cheliyi's encounter with @Rhalkyr and another one with @Esei, Gurashi realized they needed to be ready to protect their daughter (at least for the times when @Tridemon is asleep! Because him's is a very good and capable waterbender aquamancer). They remembered once upon a time the Lady @Terentia showed up to teach them how to swing their sword, but that's all they know! So they reached out to Her to ask for more help with how to use Her gift! 

Gurashi's response arrived less than a month later, after a quiet month doing chores and spending time trying to help Cheliyi. Esei ominously said hello in their Esei-way, and that became perfect segue into a training session with Her that did not disappoint! I'm so grateful! I had so much fun! Grinning like an idiot the whole time fun. Absolutely adore the realm and the NPC.

"Until one thousand strikes." (the password is 'terentia', no quotes. if the link stops working let me know!)
Esei tells you, "** There is a stillness, a memory of a hand on your shoulder. **."

Esei tells you, "Some secrets are mine to keep, sweet Gurashi."

You have emoted: Gurashi shrugs their shoulder, cheeks still puffed as they rub their palms together, thinking hard.

*blinkblink*

You blink.

Your snout twitches and trembles at the air, sensing through a striped badger nose upon your face the faint traces of others in the surrounding area. <-- nobody!

Bizirik, the leothin sniffs you, trying to decipher just what that smell emanating from you is.

Inexplicably, a pair of icy green eyes manifest within the air, staring at you coolly, dispassionately.

You have emoted: Gurashi blinks once, then twice, staring at the eyes gazing back upon them. They cant their head left, then right, curious.

"Gurashi."

You have emoted: Gurashi stares back at the gaze, squinting. "Hello?" They ask.

"I have heard your prayer. I am surprised to hear you seeking how to more ably use your sword."

You have emoted: Gurashi gasps, quickly scrambling to their feet. "...I..." They swallow hard, then nod once, bowing to the eyes. "I-I do! I would."

Bright and clear, you say, "...I do not want to NEED to have to ...but..."

"Are you aware of Oleanvir Valley? Seek out its centre, your teacher will be waiting."
‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

Comments

• edited March 2021
    You have emoted: Gurashi pokes their head up slowly as they reach the top of the wooden staircase, holding their breath. "Oh," They whisper, ducking back down as if caught, then peeking again. "Uhm - excuse me..."

Tentatively rising another step, now mostly emerged, you say to Valensandr Paavik, "Good evening - it is me! I uhm," They look down excitedly, hefting their wooden training katana, "Hope you are doing well! Have finally -finished- your tasks."

Quill in hand, Valensandr Paavik is scribbling upon the table here--written hastily as he ignores the whirlwind of activity around him: myrmidons attending to birds, myrmidons receiving communique, the creatures squawking. When you pipe up, the krokani peels his gaze from his task to you. His eye widens, then narrows, as a curl of a smile cross his face. "Have you now?"

Valensandr Paavik says, "And good evening to you, Gurashi."

You have emoted: Gurashi's face lights up in recognition. "Yes," Their voice rises half an octave, "did, just a little while ago. And then somes, just in case."

Valensandr Paavik remains seated, though he sets his quill to the aside and leans his head into his right palm, his arm anchoring the position. "That is marvelous news, it seems you are ready to continue your training, then?"
    ‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
    It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

• edited March 2021
    An invitation to come back a month later was poorly timed with an IRL eye exam I'd scheduled a week prior... but it was O-K, because it turns out the goodest krokani was also not ready for training! But that is O-K because there was excellent character building instead ...! And hopefully more training today-today!

Valensandr's Calling and Origami Things
    Bright and clear, you say to Valensandr Paavik, "...like - do have fun...?" They look over the table, their fidgeting hands keeping to the straps of their pack instead of picking up and examining the quills. "With the missives..."

You think to yourself: *remembering the look on the krokani's face as they emerged after many long months of training - excited! was excited - he seems excited to be...not here! a ripple of blue*.

Papers fly as a strong gust rolls through, causing them to spiral through the air before a myrmidon catches them and slaps them still with a small book.

He laughs. "Fun?" Valensandr Paavik considers the term for a moment. "Sometimes it is fun. Some of the myrmidons write interesting reports, sometimes sad ones. Then sometimes I receive communique from others--other folk within the Dagger. Which is more fun. Folks tend to write very philosophical letters." He looks down, his eye focusing on the sheets of paper, scrolls, and a few folded origami upon the table. He picks one up--a folded dragon--and he smiles. "It is not always fun, but someone has to do it. And my rank ensures that I serve."

You have emoted: Gurashi watches Valensandr Paavik speak, their own face reflecting the krokani's joy as he recants his experience. "Ohhh, so it is like always getting to read stories." They spot the dragon, then GASP in delight, lifting a hand to their mouth to stifle the sound.

Valensandr Paavik's gaze flicks to you when you gasp. "Is... is something wrong?"

• edited March 2021
    Following up! Following up again!

Gurashi has been working on their New Celest epic, hunting down squiddies endlessly, so Aeldra and Ferne swung by to deliver them a SQUID HAT, which they loved so much they commissioned three more (green, blue, and red). After playing around [click for loggy!] with @Esei and gifting two of them to @Cheliyi and @Tridemon, the seagull they were anticipating arrived, and their training began! 

Counter Strike Training [click for loggy!]
    A svelte merian duelist watches you still, seemingly ignoring both Cheliyi and Tridemon and even Valensandr too. Her pale blue eyes flick over to Valensandr, and he nods at her: subtle communication stretching between them.

You have emoted: Gurashi bobs their head side to side, looking about the pit and gazing upon the many plinths, curious. They do not notice the merian's stare until it is already too late, flicking away to the krokani, leaving the human puzzled and smiling blankly between their mentors.

Tucking the kerchief away, Valensandr Paavik says, "Yanath is one of our best duelists. While I will remain your main instructor, she will be a suitable assistant."

A svelte merian duelist says, "Assistant? Mmmm."

Bizirik, the leothin yawns, sprawling out upon the ground, then clambering up a level into the benches, allowing its legs to dangle.

Bright and clear, you whisper, "Oh boy."

You boggle at a svelte merian duelist.

With a polite little bow, you say to a svelte merian duelist, "I am very honored, yes."

CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! The rhythmic sound of a forging hammer striking its anvil reverberates throughout the courtyard.

"You should be," a svelte merian duelist responds with a cocky wink. "If not me, you would have poor, stodgy Valensandr here teaching you bad footwork and rigid form."

• edited June 2021
    Ahhh! It's been a while hasn't it! Sorry for the lack of updates! IRL took hold of me and so my 10 training sessions with Yanath were... belated and had unfortunate gaps! But finally, after about a month and a half Gurashi managed to finish! 

Despite the gaps Gurashi and their krokani friend managed to stay in contact via written correspondence (with Valensandr practicing his origami folding while Gurashi practiced with the sword!) Here's the logs of most of those letters. So cute. 

Then, after some missed connections, Gurashi and Valensandr finally managed to get together for their final sword training session, and the end revealed a surprised I could have never in a bajillion years expected!? I am so over the moon and cannot wait to progress this story further. Thank you to @Terentia for  being so continuously amazing and generous to those who would reach out to Her to learn. I still cannot get over what a well fleshed-out character Valensandr is. 

One Final Task (logs abound!)

Valensandr Paavik returns, his big arms cradling something delicately. "This is standard practice for Paladins, Gurashi. While learning how to use a sword is important, it is actually secondary to adapting to situations. And the best situations are caused by forces both external and wild." He steps closer to you. "Sheathe your weapon, my friend."

You blink. 

You have emoted: Gurashi blinks hard, looking up at Valensandr Paavik with wide eyes. They take their a wooden training katana, making sure it is properly stowed away. Their arms drop to their sides, expression twisting in confusion.

You cease to wield a wooden training katana. 

With a simple gesture, you dispel an illusory self on Gurashi.

Your illusory glamour you have woven of yourself melts away.

You have emoted: Gurashi reaches out to snap their finger without taking their eyes off of Valensandr Paavik, making their strangely immobile self vanish.

Valensandr Paavik smiles--a big, wide grin--as he grabs hold of other, unsnapping hand and then pushes something into your possession. The smell of old tabards fill your nose. Something is wriggling in your grasp.