The Lusternian Bookclub

Based on some comments, I actually thought this might be a good place for people to post books or authors that they want to share. Recommendations could be something like I really enjoyed this story, I love their writing style, its a very interesting philosophy/the definitive guide to something, or if you're a new member of a certain guild/city this book you should read to get your roleplay in the right place.

The point of this is largely to let people give awareness to good authors or books that might otherwise be lost in the annals of finding things in the library system.

Feel free to include library searching tips you might have. For instance, searching by subject isn't a failproof way to find books. It is entirely subjectively assigned by the librarian at the time and you can thus have multiple subjects that are similar yet with different books - and then many books with no subject at all assigned. Instead, search for title using single keywords and search by author when you find one that you like.

Comments

• Here's a recommendation to get the ball rolling, I'll add more later:

Libellus Geomancie by Aiakon. Anybody who rolls a geomancer should read this book to get an idea of the flavor of playing a geomancer. Really anything by him is great.
  • edited June 2021
    This is such a lovely idea! Here are a couple of my favorites:

The Nihilist Ethics by Giltine 
    • NB, this one is actually under the name Olvar. I imagine it is consequence of unregistered players being cannibalized by the systems.
    The Steamcat Project and The Lay of Nine Warlords by Sthai

Cipher: A Gaudiguchian GameLord Japhiel's Doctrine, and Sonnets of the Supernals by Neerth

Tribal Necromancy - Spiritsingers
    by Marcella
    • I am pretty sure there were rebuttals or responses to this book, but I'd be interested to hear a follow-up because of [REDACTED]. 
    A Metaphysic of Virtue by Talikh
    • I think the Tahtetso were some of the most original creators in fusing elements of Celest's ideology ("the Light") in a way that seems very Kepheran. My hope is that aspects of that can remain (and you do see hints of that in the Sanctifer's idea of "pellucidity"). 
    Forum avatar by @Gurashi!
  • edited June 2021
    Also, before I forget, these are two more recent scrolls that I really enjoyed by @Yinuish!
    • "The Empire's Architects: Nation Building as a Reflection of Culture"
    • "Urban Landscape and Syncretism"
    These take seriously some of the initial concepts for the Magisterium and tease out some of their implications!
  • Time to self-promote my own books!  >:)

Just kidding, here's my (non-exhaustive) list:

• "A Guide to Underachievement" by Jolanthe - enjoyable read and really helps to put things in to perspective, it's more important to enjoy your time than to rack up a list of achievements. That it's okay to be good enough. Ironically, this book is a Prestige Winner.
    • "The Nature of the Host - A Rebuttal of 'Tribal Necromancy'" by Elexia - I noticed a lot of people praising Marcella's book on the necromantic nature of ancestral spirits. While that book is excellent as well, this book is a very convincing rebuttal to it.
    • "The Death Of Vortex" by Afrit - a very gripping, suspenseful, and altogether enjoyable read, set in a Gaudiguch of an alternate reality. I got literal chills reading several parts. If you like mystery and uncanny valley horror, you will like this book very much. It was robbed of its deserved Prestige win, I say!
    • "Flight Of The Sugarplum" by Sotsepmet - Cute (text) illustrations next to whimsical poetry about various sugarplum fae. Reminiscent of a children's poetry book.
    I'll add to this when I remember other lovely books. These are just the first four that came to mind, but there are so many more that I have enjoyed reading.
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • What a cute thread! I'll try to hit every org if I can (plays and literary works may be my favorite):

• The Spy Who Loved the Sea by Niralahi
    • Fortal of Pate by Thayan
    • A Twisted Skein by Lineave
    • Contraption by Lendren
    • Submission by Ushaara
    • La Donna by Jael
    • A Guide to Underachievement by Jolanthe
    • Snowflake by Nihmriel
    • Meditations on the Symbols of Serenity by Lief
    • Rockeater Holocaust by Thul
    • Flight and Fortuity by Irillia
    • Five Fates and a Portal by Eliron
    • Sestina for Jilai Clarramore by Aramel
    • Memoirs of a Dancer by Persayis
    • Libellus Geomancie by Aiakon
    Avatar by Sam Smith. You can follow her on Twitter here.
  • In relation to my other thread about potential library ideas, going to bump this thread. Feel free to add your recommended reading lists here!
  • A few more from my lists:
    • Daughters of the Amaranth by Sthai d'Murani
    • The Truth in Legend: Ledor Inalai by Catarin Inalai
    • The Paladins of the Holy Celestine Empire by Catarin Inalai and the Lusternian Historical Society
    • Nifhilhema's Tear by Lendren Myeras-Starfall
    • Justice and Atonement by Rena and the follow-up Critique of "Justice and Atonement" by Neerth
    • The Art of Swordmaking by Iraen
    • Solid Air: A Study by Ileein Shevat
    • Continuum: Metaphysics by Incabulos Oubliette
    • The Collected Essays of Aiakon d'Murani: Volume I

I tend to prefer scholarly entries, even though I know you all are frustrated about how to write scholarly works. 
  • edited April 2022
    There are definitely more than the ones below on my list of beloved titles, but you really have to check these out (and their theatrical counterparts where they exist) if you haven't already:

"The Fang of Crazen" by Jolanthe.
    Seconding (thirding?) "The Nature of the Host - A Rebuttal of 'Tribal Necromancy'" by Elexia.
    "Perils on the Sea - Theatrical Script" by Niralahi.
    "The Butcher Bridegroom" by Lisuette.
    "Shadows in the Fold" by Illyria.
    "Blood Thirst: A Wyrden Fable" and "Black Sorrow: A Wyrden Fable" by Ishra.

I'm definitely on Team Literary regarding the works I overall prefer, but I also absolutely adore reading theological writings about teachings, symbols, and beliefs, especially writings that put an individual spin on things or dig deeper into The Implications, as well as well-composed rebuttals on them.
  • The Butcher Bridegroom is probably one of my favorite Mag plays. Intrigue, shade, twists, and just the right length.