A post to all those who are feeling griefed.

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Damn the forums for not letting me like and agree at the same time.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

• Elanorwen said:
    ... stuff

And news flash... if people are frustrated with other aspects of the game, they're not likely to be very able to put a smile on their face and help novices when asked to do so. I'll be the first to admit that yeah, I suck at dealing with novices, and I tend to answer questions in a pretty dry fashion when asked... not to mention getting annoyed when I ask a question and they don't give me an answer, but eh... that's why most of the time I try not to deal with them in the first place, but still... when I've spent the past 4 hours getting more and more frustrated with each passing moment, I tend to be even worse. I rather doubt I'm the only one there.
    I wasn't intending to say any more after posting my devil's advocate piece, but I couldn't pass up a comment on this one. I don't really intend to dispute the fact that people get emotionally involved in the game, and that losing repeatedly in PK can have a negative impact on their subsequent actions. But where newbies are concerned, using it as an excuse for less than perfect behavior is nothing but the worst sort of irresponsibility.

I have been in the exact same situation as you described before, so stressed out over a revolt that I had no time beyond to type TELL ATHREE I HAVE NO TIME TO DISCUSS THAT NOW. It also happened to be a revolt which lasted for over an hour. By the time it was over, and I had come down from the high, I was running late for an appointment, and had no choice but to insta log off. I can't even remember if we won or lost, because that's entirely irrelevant - my failure to respond in a timely fashion, and worse still, to notify him before I left, is nothing else but my failure alone. Surely, without the revolt, I would have been able to do a much better job, but I never once believed that the revolt was the reason I did a bad job, because I still could have done a good job with the revolt. The only reason I failed to do a good job in that situation was because I did not prioritize what should have been more important. I messaged him an apology and followed up with him on his questions later, but still, I will never say "it was because of so-and-so reason that I did this."

Just because something happened that resulted in you failing to do something, doesn't always mean that the cause of your failure is the event. Handling newbies can be stressful and thankless, but it is also important as well as rewarding in the long run. No one expects every newbie helper to be 100% perfect all the time, but pushing away the blame is not going to do anything but cause a repeat of the same failures. Do everyone a favour and take some time to think about what newbies really mean to you: important people who you want to nurture and teach the joy of the game to, or an excuse you can use to get what you want. "If you don't do this for me, I'm going to get so angry I might snap at the next newbie to come around." That's what you sound like, and it turns my stomach.

• @Elanorwen: I wonder who that was, since I'm the only person I know of that checks the Prison on a regular basis, and I sure don't remember attacking you ten times in three days. I remember attacking you three times on one day, though. Too bad Kio has every reason to hate Elanorwen ICly, miss traitory traitor. (Note, here, that I said IC. I don't know you beyond IC, so I have no view of you as a person.) Let's keep our exaggerations to a minimum. It'd awesome to do the same with our passive aggressiveness.
    Probably Uruk, if I were to guess.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Rivius said:
    I don't think it's hyperbole to say that your actions can damage people's enjoyment of the game, but maybe I'm insane or shortsighted or something. Somehow because whole organizations have yet to shrivel up and die, you take this as a sign that constantly curbstomping certain people can't possibly drive them away. The entire crux of why we should tone down griefing is somehow irrelevant and should be left out of the discussion. Okay. And you see why I always believed this conversation to be futile every single time it rose in the past.

Hyperbole was the whole "all the fighters will leave, there will never be conflict ever, the game will become boring". Individuals might leave, reroll, orghop etc, But an entire half of the game? That's just the kind of doom-prophecy stuff that gets taken with a pinch of salt.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• To be completely fair, it's not farfetched to think about.. How many actual novices does Lusternia pick up in a month, and keep for at least 30 days?
    Reah said:
    To be completely fair, it's not farfetched to think about.. How many actual novices does Lusternia pick up in a month, and keep for at least 30 days who aren't Shaddus Alts?
    Fixed.

• Shaddus said:
    Reah said:
    To be completely fair, it's not farfetched to think about.. How many actual novices does Lusternia pick up in a month, and keep for at least 30 days who aren't Shaddus Alts?
    Fixed.
    Well, Reah did specify "actual novices". You're a faux-novice. A fauvice, if you will.
  • Ssaliss said:

Shaddus said:
    Reah said:
    Fixed.
    Well, Reah did specify "actual novices". You're a faux-novice. A fauvice, if you will.
    Or worse, I could actually be Shaddus.

Shaddus quoting Shaddus alt, Shadception.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Surely there's gotta be some way to work Shadenfreude(sp) in there somewhere too.
    I wish I didn't talk so harshly to myself. :(
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Kio said:
    @Elanorwen: I wonder who that was, since I'm the only person I know of that checks the Prison on a regular basis, and I sure don't remember attacking you ten times in three days. I remember attacking you three times on one day, though. Too bad Kio has every reason to hate Elanorwen ICly, miss traitory traitor. (Note, here, that I said IC. I don't know you beyond IC, so I have no view of you as a person.) Let's keep our exaggerations to a minimum. It'd awesome to do the same with our passive aggressiveness.
    You know, I find that excuse rather amusing. Why aren't you jumping @Synkarin then? He did betray Glomdoring -and- steal domoths at the same time, but eh... I'm always the evil one. :P

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Its called Diplomacy.

It happens.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Elanorwen said:
    Kio said:
    @Elanorwen: I wonder who that was, since I'm the only person I know of that checks the Prison on a regular basis, and I sure don't remember attacking you ten times in three days. I remember attacking you three times on one day, though. Too bad Kio has every reason to hate Elanorwen ICly, miss traitory traitor. (Note, here, that I said IC. I don't know you beyond IC, so I have no view of you as a person.) Let's keep our exaggerations to a minimum. It'd awesome to do the same with our passive aggressiveness.
    You know, I find that excuse rather amusing. Why aren't you jumping @Synkarin then? He did betray Glomdoring -and- steal domoths at the same time, but eh... I'm always the evil one. :P
    :Politics: prevents that currently. When he was still in Halli he was as fair game as anyone.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Elanorwen said:
    Kio said:

Because you don't break a useful tool.

You can ask him about it - I don't think Kio and Synkarin have ever had a pleasant conversation, and there are often times when Kio has to remind himself that "accidentally" toading him in the middle of a domoth wouldn't really be overlooked.

Oh, and Kio's on orders from @Svorai not to mess with Gaudiguch.  Unlike some, he's a dog that listens to his masters and knows how to follow the rules.
  • edited September 2013
    Marcella actively doesn't attack the things that she doesn't know has raided her planes, which means she quits raids whenever Serenwilde or Halli are up on the chopping block, even though she's a guild champion.

I kind of get bored and wish Seren or Halli *would* attack us so I would have an IC reason to care, but it's probably good for them that they don't - all of the posts about 'if you fight back they'll hit you harder' are pretty true.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    How many novices are actually jumped? I know of one instance with Eodh that's already been accounted for but novices aren't usually jumped.

Ps, you guys had plenty of time to jump me in halli, but for some reason didn't. I definitely popped into faethorn by myself just to have everyone bail.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:

How many novices are actually jumped? I know of one instance with Eodh that's already been accounted for but novices aren't usually jumped.

Ps, you guys had plenty of time to jump me in halli, but for some reason didn't. I definitely popped into faethorn by myself just to have everyone bail.

Every time I saw you in Faethorn, I tried, heh. While you were in Halli, our schedules tended to be flipped. Not sure why the synch better now.

That and when you were around a lot more, I didn't have the confidence to take you on 1v1, so I'd try to get someone to help, which in turn would lead to either waiting too long and you'd be gone, or a big 'ole Faethorn scuffle.

As to novices - Eodh is the only one I've ever seen killed. And it happened exactly once, but those details have already been discussed. That said, I wish the little guy would get more involved. I've been trying to time RP things to happen while he's around, but he always poofs :/

(Yes, @Eodh - I wish you would have not logged out the moment Kio summoned the Coven. *peer*)

• Kio said:
    How many novices are actually jumped? I know of one instance with Eodh that's already been accounted for but novices aren't usually jumped. Ps, you guys had plenty of time to jump me in halli, but for some reason didn't. I definitely popped into faethorn by myself just to have everyone bail.
    Every time I saw you in Faethorn, I tried, heh. While you were in Halli, our schedules tended to be flipped. Not sure why the synch better now. That and when you were around a lot more, I didn't have the confidence to take you on 1v1, so I'd try to get someone to help, which in turn would lead to either waiting too long and you'd be gone, or a big 'ole Faethorn scuffle. As to novices - Eodh is the only one I've ever seen killed. And it happened exactly once, but those details have already been discussed. That said, I wish the little guy would get more involved. I've been trying to time RP things to happen while he's around, but he always poofs :/ (Yes, @Eodh - I wish you would have not logged out the moment Kio summoned the Coven. *peer*)

What constitutes a newbie/novice?  Surely not the time limit on NOV status.
  • Reah said:

Kio said:

Synkarin said:

Every time I saw you in Faethorn, I tried, heh. While you were in Halli, our schedules tended to be flipped. Not sure why the synch better now.

That and when you were around a lot more, I didn't have the confidence to take you on 1v1, so I'd try to get someone to help, which in turn would lead to either waiting too long and you'd be gone, or a big 'ole Faethorn scuffle.

As to novices - Eodh is the only one I've ever seen killed. And it happened exactly once, but those details have already been discussed. That said, I wish the little guy would get more involved. I've been trying to time RP things to happen while he's around, but he always poofs :/

(Yes, @Eodh - I wish you would have not logged out the moment Kio summoned the Coven. *peer*)

What constitutes a newbie/novice?  Surely not the time limit on NOV status.

Search the forums. This is a discussion that happens a lot. The last one was pretty recent.

• Kio said:
    ..snip
    The point is.. there really is no clear line as to what defines a novice/newbie.

I'm a newbie in Lusternia.  I've been killed plenty of times- and there has never been IC resolution to any of them.  It doesn't MATTER, because it happens to be (mostly) free-pk zones or defendables- but you can't say you've only ever seen one novice killed.

Novices should experience death in both NPC and PC interactions.  It's what gives you goals that eventually you'll attain.  Or it'll cause you to quit.
  • @Kio I had to leave 30 minutes after you called on GT. I was looking forward to an assembly, too, with Valonah and Daem (and you) all present! :(

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Reah said:

Kio said:

..snip
    The point is.. there really is no clear line as to what defines a novice/newbie.

I'm a newbie in Lusternia.  I've been killed plenty of times- and there has never been IC resolution to any of them.  It doesn't MATTER, because it happens to be (mostly) free-pk zones or defendables- but you can't say you've only ever seen one novice killed.

Novices should experience death in both NPC and PC interactions.  It's what gives you goals that eventually you'll attain.  Or it'll cause you to quit.

You've showed up to a few domoth fights, thus you aren't a newbie anymore and fair game, such is life.

The line I use is 'if you jump in fights you don't have to, you are a combatant and fair game'

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • It's a very fine line. There have been numerous instances where people have felt compelled to help their org upon request, gone to help, died instantly and been marked as a 'combatant' and thusly hunted endlessly.

It's really down to sensible judgment here. See a person turn up to fight regularly? Sure, go for it.

I generally just go with my namedb. If they are in it, they are treated as a combatant...
  • Eodh said:
    @Kio I had to leave 30 minutes after you called on GT. I was looking forward to an assembly, too, with Valonah and Daem (and you) all present! :(

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REAL LIFE.

NOTHING MATTERS BUT GLOMDORING.

You will learn.  You will grow.  We will help you.
  • edited October 2013
    Synkarin said:

Kio said:
    ..snip

You've showed up to a few domoth fights, thus you aren't a newbie anymore and fair game, such is life. The line I use is 'if you jump in fights you don't have to, you are a combatant and fair game'
    That doesn't constitute the lack of novicehood at all.  I went to a domoth on my first day in game simply because someone announced it and I said "oh.. okay."

That's like saying you're not a novice if you've ever gone to Astral.

I'm not defending myself as a novice- I really care less and don't CONSIDER myself a novice- but I surely don't know anything about Lusternia still!
  • Reah said:
    Synkarin said:

Kio said:
    ..snip

You've showed up to a few domoth fights, thus you aren't a newbie anymore and fair game, such is life. The line I use is 'if you jump in fights you don't have to, you are a combatant and fair game'
    That doesn't constitute the lack of novicehood at all.  I went to a domoth on my first day in game simply because someone announced it and I said "oh.. okay."

That's like saying you're not a novice if you've ever gone to Astral.

I'm not defending myself as a novice- I really care less and don't CONSIDER myself a novice- but I surely don't know anything about Lusternia still!

You're not a novice.  A novice is defined in the game, mechanically.

You can be a newbie, though.  However, very few people will consider you a newbie at this point with the frequency in which you fight in Domoths, revolts, etc.