Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Reyl said:
    Half my friends are Glom now, I want to secretly bask in their presence in alt form. Now to pick a race. And a guild. And a backstory. And a description.........

EDIT: The hardest thing about RP is not knowing enough about an org to work out how to fit into it, or what kind of things make sense vs what is cheese....
    Wrong attitude to have. Make an alt in an org you despise, and see if you can work it out.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Chade said:
    Talan said:
    So I went shopping for something today, and 12 of Celest's city shops are completely closed down. What's that about?
    Honestly, I'd like something which pushes the reset button on org conflict in Lusternia in some way, @Daevos made quite an interesting post on the Facebook group about the current game design being based around a capture-the-flag system which I thought nailed a lot of the major issues with Lusternian combat. 

Currently the alliances are too static, Celest's combat playerbase is minimal to say the least - as is Serenwilde's, which leaves Hallifax hanging by itself. It was great to see Halli take the domoth a moment ago but between absolves from our side of the alliance and the general trend of Magnagora/Gaudiguch working together it's going to be tough for them to keep it without fantastic timing.

We could do with something that shifts the political system to a 2v2v2 arrangement but realistically I don't think it's going to happen. A new form of conflict which is tailored to individual orgs would be fantastic, particularly if it punished those who tried to work together. That may also lead to a slightly more dynamic system for the current alliances in the more traditional combat arenas of villages/domoths/wild nodes. I have no idea what to suggest, but frankly fighting in a system where we win 80% of the time because we have the numbers the the Northern Alliance don't is boring for us and must be annoying as hell for you guys.

Heh, that's a tweet that could be its own topic and has been done to death every so often.  Considering the way population drops in the Wilde, it's (long ago) gone from annoying to "meh whatever" at best.  Personally I try to have fun with it (when I can at least and between trying to relearn things), but have long ago stopped caring about actually winning conflicts.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • edited February 2014
    Yeah it kinda grew on me, was supposed to be a comment on the current state of Celest's playerbase and 12 closed shops being a symptom of it. It then went on to become a rant about the state of org conflict in Lusternia because I'm procrastinating from writing a PhD chapter that's due in 7 hrs 45 mins :p

Which I am going to go finish now >.>
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Chade said:
    Yeah it kinda grew on me, was supposed to be a comment on the current state of Celest's playerbase and 12 closed shops being a symptom of it. It then went on to become a rant about the state of org conflict in Lusternia because I'm procrastinating from writing a PhD chapter that's due in 7 hrs 45 mins :p

Good luck with the paper. As to winning 80% of the time via steamroll, well... sorry to say, but I told you so. :D

It is one of the reasons I let myself be talked into moving to Halli back in the day. It also makes me wonder what people are thinking when they quit a hurting-for-numbers org and join one that is up-and-coming already, but eh... to each their own.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Talan said:
    So I went shopping for something today, and 12 of Celest's city shops are completely closed down. What's that about?
    The majority of the owners are inactive or alting. Aquamancers GA isn't even active and we've no one to replace him in the guild.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"

• Neos said:
    Talan said:
    The majority of the owners are inactive or alting. Aquamancers GA isn't even active and we've no one to replace him in the guild.
    I was hoping for a juicy story about a power-mad Chancellor using shop-maintenance to seize at political clout.

The truth is a bit depressing.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Half the time, the guilds don't even  pay their shop taxes. I've had my own alts walk through and pay guildshop taxes for everyone before, and not a word from the guild.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Chade said:

Good luck with the paper. As to winning 80% of the time via steamroll, well... sorry to say, but I told you so. :D

It is one of the reasons I let myself be talked into moving to Halli back in the day. It also makes me wonder what people are thinking when they quit a hurting-for-numbers org and join one that is up-and-coming already, but eh... to each their own.
    Ha - nice pot shot at me here.

I can explain pretty quickly why that happens

1) When it boils down to it, it's a game and people are entitled to play the game so that they find enjoyment in it. There's certain people I've been playing with for -years- and I enjoy playing and winning and even losing with them.

2) When you're trying to help out 'hurting for numbers' orgs and certain people have certain mentalities (not everyone, just certain people) that kind of pre-dispose morale of the org, it's not a lot of fun. When you are trying to make people work together and people refuse to listen and just want to go ahead and rambo in and slugfest things out, that's not much fun. When people give up rather than try because they don't think they have a chance to begin with, that's not much fun, especially when said people are leaderish types that have a greater impact on the morale of an org. 

Those two things boil it down pretty much. 

(By the way, it's a bit disingenous to say you were 'convinced' to go to Halli (and I'll definitely say I told you numerous times to come join me) when I hear you were chased out for being your usual self)

PS - when you're getting steamrolled due to numbers 80% of the time because 'you told us so' is more the self fulfilling prophecy than anything else. Your terrible attitude about things doesn't do you or your org any favours, but hey, feel good that you 'got it right'

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer

Shaddus said:
    Half the time, the guilds don't even  pay their shop taxes. I've had my own alts walk through and pay guildshop taxes for everyone before, and not a word from the guild.
    Back when I was GA I paid taxes pretty regularly. And now that I checked the guild shop, the shop is still owned by the previous GA, who switched over to a different character.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Synkarin said:
    Ha - nice pot shot at me here.

I can explain pretty quickly why that happens

1) When it boils down to it, it's a game and people are entitled to play the game so that they find enjoyment in it. There's certain people I've been playing with for -years- and I enjoy playing and winning and even losing with them.

2) When you're trying to help out 'hurting for numbers' orgs and certain people have certain mentalities (not everyone, just certain people) that kind of pre-dispose morale of the org, it's not a lot of fun. When you are trying to make people work together and people refuse to listen and just want to go ahead and rambo in and slugfest things out, that's not much fun. When people give up rather than try because they don't think they have a chance to begin with, that's not much fun, especially when said people are leaderish types that have a greater impact on the morale of an org. 

Those two things boil it down pretty much. 

(By the way, it's a bit disingenous to say you were 'convinced' to go to Halli (and I'll definitely say I told you numerous times to come join me) when I hear you were chased out for being your usual self)

PS - when you're getting steamrolled due to numbers 80% of the time because 'you told us so' is more the self fulfilling prophecy than anything else. Your terrible attitude about things doesn't do you or your org any favours, but hey, feel good that you 'got it right'
    Don't recall mentioning your name at all. I was more looking at the recent migration Seren -> Glom, actually. The Halkyries are doing well otherwise, mhm. And I was chased out... uhhhh.... if you say so. Anyway, have a nice evening. I plan to relax with a nice game of Vengeance. Tah.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited February 2014
    Any org that can pull 9 people out in a fight 20% of the time isn't hurting for numbers, it's hurting for consistency.

In general, some orgs only get numbers like that when they're engaged in a fight they know they can win. Where suddenly a large bunch of fairweather fighters show up. Said people are otherwise nowhere to be seen when there's opposition, despite the fact if they actually go and help, stick it out, and work together, they'd be the difference between a win and a loss.

On a side note, I'm a little sad that I never got to watch that 4v4 on deathsight, on paper it looked to be the makings of a good fight.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:

Don't recall mentioning your name at all. I was more looking at the recent migration Seren -> Glom, actually. The Halkyries are doing well otherwise, mhm. And I was chased out... uhhhh.... if you say so. Anyway, have a nice evening. I plan to relax with a nice game of Vengeance. Tah.
    That's the beauty, I didn't say it, I just heard it!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'm definitely in the park of finding myself staying in an org even when people seem to leave by droves. I understand why people do it, for the reasons Sidd wrote, and I can't begrudge people the desire to play the game in a way they enjoy it. It is a game, after all. But even when at times I've considered moving on myself, I always have the thought in the back of my mind that I can do more to help the org I love by staying and helping (totally not talking combat here, I can't help with that from anywhere) than by running off to join current popular org x. Plus, I could never come up with a valid reason to break all my roleplay away from the org that really defines who and what she is. Mag for life!(undeath)

Morkarion said:
    Any org that can pull 9 people out in a fight 20% of the time isn't hurting for numbers, it's hurting for consistency.

In general, some orgs only get numbers like that when they're engaged in a fight they know they can win. Where suddenly a large bunch of fairweather fighters show up. Said people are otherwise nowhere to be seen when there's opposition, despite the fact if they actually go and help, stick it out, and work together, they'd be the difference between a win and a loss.

On a side note, I'm a little sad that I never got to watch that 4v4 on deathsight, on paper it looked to be the makings of a good fight.

Dual synched spix... hurts. :D

• I play to RP. That's my M.O. When the people in your org don't really RP, it's no fun. I wanted to start sticking my toes into combat, but there was nobody around to help me figure things out, because I'm really hopeless. When we'd get raided, most people would ignore it, the few that would run up would get slaughtered, and it was pretty awful.

I worked my butt off trying to write guild stuff, and I was getting little to no feedback. Not to mention there was a whole lot of IC drama that was going down that was really really taxing on me as a player, not to mention making the environment rather hostile for my character. When an avenue of RP opened up to join an org that not only RP's, but has a divine that is driving a storyline, I followed through after about a month of dedicated roleplay.

I love Serenwilde, not for what it is, but for what it once was, and what it could be, if people were to collectively put in the effort to change, but a lot of people don't think the effort is  worth it, or just don't find that to be important on their list of things to do, or even don't really see a problem with the way things are currently going.

All of these things made me incredibly unhappy with where I was, what I was spending my time doing, and was making me examine my reasons for continuing to log in.

Already, in the few short days since I made the switch to gaudi, I have had more RP interactions, 2 divine interactions, and a ton of character growth. I am very satisfied with my decision, and I would make it again in a heartbeat.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • edited February 2014
    Shaddus said:

Reyl said:

Half my friends are Glom now, I want to secretly bask in their presence in alt form. Now to pick a race. And a guild. And a backstory. And a description.........

EDIT: The hardest thing about RP is not knowing enough about an org to work out how to fit into it, or what kind of things make sense vs what is cheese....

Wrong attitude to have. Make an alt in an org you despise, and see if you can work it out.

Mm... I did consider that. But I would feel dirty being privy to stuff in an 'enemy org', even if I didn't use that information it'd play on my mind. So that leaves glom and gaudi, and I wanted to do like people said and try a commune.... And also play a very opposed kind of character to Reyl, so they don't blur together etc.

• Gogo event that mashes Glom and Seren together into Serendoring. Night and Moon can exist side by side, and the guilds can all squabble (good naturedly or otherwise) over the best way to serve Nature, the Great Spirits, and the fae.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    Just nuke a couple of orgs so pop reassembles a bit more reasonably, mhm.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Isn't Aetolia doing something like that?
  • As someone who plays the main villain in my organization, I fight all of my battles internally. However, I do find it entertaining to see people make comments about the current political structure in the game. I've always felt that there were three types of people in Lusternia:
    1) People who focus strictly on roleplaying in order to develop their character and/or org
    2) People who focus on combat because they love PvP and the mechanical side of the game
    3) People who do everything because they are so addicted that they legally change their real life name to their character name

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Parua said:
    Gogo event that mashes Glom and Seren together into Serendoring. Night and Moon can exist side by side, and the guilds can all squabble (good naturedly or otherwise) over the best way to serve Nature, the Great Spirits, and the fae.
    Gogo ToT deciding to land on Prime, extend giant rooty tentacles, and form the megaforest.
  • edited February 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Just nuke a couple of orgs so pop reassembles a bit more reasonably, mhm.
    Little more procrastination won't hurt... probably.

Nuking orgs is a lovely idea and if it were feasible I'd be all for it, of course I'd protest a huge amount if it was Gaudiguch that was getting the axe and that's the problem with nuking orgs. A more feasible route to go might be a hard-coded alliance system which off the top of my head would work something like this:

Hard-coded alliances which allow a maximum of 2 orgs to link their nexii which combines their respective power pools for linking, raising ascendants and guard costs. If two orgs enter into an alliance their village influencing skills are replaced by alliance specific influencing skills and villages can then be influenced on behalf of the alliance rather than by the individual organisations. If two organisations are in an alliance and the alliance holds a domoth they'd share the power gain and both organisations get locked out of the opposing domoth. Wild nodes would work similarly with points being put towards the alliance total and power shared between the two orgs. 

Alliances would gain an additional shared channel separate from CT (AT maybe?) that would allow for co-ordination of combat and general chat, while retaining CT so organisations could keep their unique flavour.

There would have to be a couple of mechanical advantages to being in an alliance, something like slightly faster village influencing and domoth claims etc.

If every org choose to be in an alliance it would switch the conflict system back to a 3 way system as it was when the game opened. 

EDIT: I realise it probably wouldn't work out quite that way but it's interesting trying to think of ways to break the current trend.

• City Covenants? nothx. Please, no more useless monolithic mechanics that don't do anything.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Xarcon said:

3) People who do everything because they are so addicted that they legally change their real life name to their character name

Guilty. Almost.

One of the reasons I never share my real name is because I would be completely and utterly weirded out if anyone -ever- called me by it while I'm playing in the MUD.

Silvanus said:

I'm personally glad to see Celest down and out.

They acted like serious pricks when Magnagora was emptied. All the Demon Lords dead and the Necromentate dead, and they still found a way to complain about off peak raiding (when in fact the raid that killed the DLs was off-peak for Mag) or raid as constantly as possible.

This is a game, and a lot of Celest took it personally to make any Magnagoran's life miserable. When the table shifted and Celest was on the receiving end, well, the mechanics got changed.

You reap what you sow. Lots of past Celestians pissed all over their bed and their citymates, and now they find they have to sleep in it.

Edit: When I refer to Celest, I'm referring to a core group of Celestians who are not part of the city anymore, because they don't like to be on the losing side. If any current Celestians take insult to any of this, I am sorry, I am talking about the past group. I won't name any names, but quite a few went to extremes that shouldn't be allowed in a game.
    I can't like this enough. A lot of the people who constantly raided Godrealms/Nil every few hours are now the ones complaining that Lusternia isn't fair anymore. If/when Celest rises against, rest assured that these people will show up and want to be in the middle of things again.
This discussion has been closed.