Shofangi Lore (Everybody Keeps Saying We Haven't Got Any)

Comments

• From what I remember...

There's the connection to Charune, and through him to the White Hart, and then through him to Serenwilde.

And for a while Bull was hanging out in Serenwilde with everyone, but then he disappeared for unknown reasons leaving behind the Bull Cult and he (maybe) hasn't returned since.

There's some more with the messages but it's been described as kinda a "here's a little bit now get lost"

I can't remember where I posted this in more depth, but as I mentioned, Bull being absent doesn't actually have to be a bad thing. 

Bull could be out there being some kind of cosmic keystone preventing some great threat to nature, or just roaming around reality on some grand quest that reflects the duty of the Shofangi.

You could even write up him not being active with the guild as them being pathetic weenie kids and someone could lead a cleansing to bring a new age of brutality and rage in his name that pleases him.

Or perhaps he considers that the Shofangi should be self sufficient enough that they can survive without him coddling them like the other spirits do their guilds.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    edited January 2015
    If it helps, the Warrior Spirits don't live in the Serenwilde either, and aren't particularly attached to it. They don't make many real appearances, choosing to give their guidance from afar to the tribe of warriors that caught their interest and earned their respect. At least, that's who we explain the fact that, aside from the Wolverine in the collegium, there are no Aspects of the Warrior Spirits anywhere, and they don't seem to have an impact outside of the Serenguard lore.

EDIT: Of course, if Aspects of Jaguar, Eagle, and Wolverine are ever discovered, I will be ecstatic! *wink wink nudge nudge hint hint*
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said:
    So, add interesting bits to it. That's how I would handle it.
    This. So much this.

Look at what the Nekotai did with their totems. They took things from around the forest (Beetle, Wasp, Spider, and so on) and used it. Maybe the Shofangi can do the same and write stuff up. The -worst- that can happen is that admin who rp with them don't acknowledge it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited January 2015
    Also I read the word "resolve" somewhere in the last couple of pages?

Why not have that as one of Bull's 'things'?

As in the traits of Bull that make up a good Shofangi: Rage and Resolve.

Such as from an example scroll found entirely in my head:

"Resolve: Once an action is decided on, it is to be taken. Bull stands firm against the tide, no matter the consequences, and so do the Shofangi, as his disciples. We are to be the rock that remains in place, even when those tides wash everything else away. We do not falter, or yield, or compromise. We are the Kui!

Rage: Bull does not pull his punches, and nor should you. Not just in combat, but in life itself. Give everything you set yourself to your greatest effort. There are no half-measures. If a thing is to be done, let it be done. Let any who are not with us stand aside or be trampled. We are the Kui!"

Or, something like that. It's a small tie-in, and kind of not-fleshed-out, but it's two thing that could 1) be attributed to bull, and 2) would let the shofangi carve themselves a sort of identity of their own as stubborn monks, who throw themselves at whatever they do like the proverbially bull at the gate.

The other thing is that by using those two examples/suggestions, or something like them, there's also potential tie-ins to Kepheran harmony.

With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I don't know if it's been mentioned already. But there is an altar to bull in the Serenwilde, and you can still do a quest to summon him. He'll say something, but I don't really remember what. Probably due to the reasons Enyalida mentioned already (it's boring most likely).

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • I think that's the thing that some people are aware of but not happy about. 

From memory and the discussions he's not summoned, all that we glean is the message and that he still exists somewhere. Though I wish the people that made these arguments would start talking on the thread :(
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I used to do the statue quest over and over and over, and I always found it disappointing in that it hinted at cool things without actually revealing anything. But I'm not shofangi. Maybe they would get more out if it.

From my perspective, the weird incomprihesible keperan names and the emphasis on Undervault links makes the Shofangi feel like they don't really belong in the Serenwilde. If they ran around using bull names and revering bull instead they would seem a lot more like Serenwilders.

• Qistrel said:
    From my perspective, the weird incomprihesible keperan names and the emphasis on Undervault links makes the Shofangi feel like they don't really belong in the Serenwilde. If they ran around using bull names and revering bull instead they would seem a lot more like Serenwilders.
    I didn't feel like clicking agree was quite enough.

I vehemently agree with this statement.
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • Qistrel said:
    To me, this is exactly what makes the Shofangi special. We are a part of the Serenwilde, but we are also apart from it. It's that separation that makes it one of the most unique guilds in the game. I don't see that it's necessarily to remove that.

Luenn tends to see things in more mercantile terms: We pay lip service to Bull, and in exchange we receive some of his powers, like Bullrage. In exchange for playing a support role to to commune, we get a place to stay and access to a nexus of power. These go to support our primary goal of defending the Undervault from the Illithoid.

I figure people will probably disagree with this though.

• Azus, to me, always made the Shofangi feel like a Foreign Exchange program.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Celina said:
    Just what we need. Another gibberish language. Crow tongue wasn't enough for you people!
    The SerenMonks better not have Crowtongue. That's for the Glom(and mostly thats Glomdruids and some EbonGuards).

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Luenn said:
    Qistrel said:
    To me, this is exactly what makes the Shofangi special. We are a part of the Serenwilde, but we are also apart from it. It's that separation that makes it one of the most unique guilds in the game. I don't see that it's necessarily to remove that.

Luenn tends to see things in more mercantile terms: We pay lip service to Bull, and in exchange we receive some of his powers, like Bullrage. In exchange for playing a support role to to commune, we get a place to stay and access to a nexus of power. These go to support our primary goal of defending the Undervault from the Illithoid.

The ur'Guard have an entire post in the Magnagoran news, dating way back to, like, 137 when the game first came out, about being seperate from the city in authority and no meeting of the Iron Council will ever decide what is right or wrong, valid or invalid in the guild, because we are an entirely sovereign, august entity who has sworn oaths to protect the city - we are not PART of the city.
    That *IS* a very unique RP angle that you're suggesting for the Shofangi, but it's not *unique*, if you know what I mean.
    I am not a Shofangi, of course, so my view of them is probably skewed.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The Tahtetso have the same feeling of "together but seperate" in the city, but ended up coming up with Lumosis to explain it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Marcella said:
    Luenn said:
    Qistrel said:

The ur'Guard have an entire post in the Magnagoran news, dating way back to, like, 137 when the game first came out, about being seperate from the city in authority and no meeting of the Iron Council will ever decide what is right or wrong, valid or invalid in the guild, because we are an entirely sovereign, august entity who has sworn oaths to protect the city - we are not PART of the city.
    That *IS* a very unique RP angle that you're suggesting for the Shofangi, but it's not *unique*, if you know what I mean.
    The Serenguard sorta have this. Their mandate doesn't come from the Moonhart Circle, and really, if the Moonhart Circle went all Grutina Oakvine or something, the Serenguard would have no qualms wiping them out.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Everiine said:
    Marcella said:
    Luenn said:
    Qistrel said:

The Serenguard sorta have this. Their mandate doesn't come from the Moonhart Circle, and really, if the Moonhart Circle went all Grutina Oakvine or something, the Serenguard would have no qualms wiping them out.
    There's nothing wrong with being the odd duck in your city/commune, or standing slightly apart from them, but both the Serenguard and the Ur'Guard are the answers to "who watches the watchers?"

Whether or not they're answerable to the ruling council doesn't matter, because they're still a part of the organisation, even though they're apart from the organisation.

The Shofangi as they have been explained to me could easily take their bat and ball and go play somewhere else without having to undergo much of a change to their purpose or identity (at least the purpose as it's been explained to me). I'm not sure the same is true for the Serenguard or the Ur'Guard. They exist to eliminate all threats to the city/commune, internal and external. A certain distance makes sense, but there's no disconnect there.

@Marcella and @Everiine, both of your guilds still have a substantial connection to your city/commune that I think the Shofangi are either missing, or haven't properly solidified.
    Substantial connection, yes. I was just pointing out the similarity, too.

• edited January 2015
    @Iari it's the latter. The connection to the forest and the commune has not been properly solidified. Internal bickering  politics gets in the way of that. 
    is dead like the dodo
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2015
    @Saran made a post a few pages back explaining Shofangi and just how barbaric their power is. Shofa blades are -gruesome- weapons. The grapples are brutal and gorey, particularly the chest and gut ones. It's all about mastering Bull's rage and using it to your advantage. The Shofangi are a gift to Serenwilde by the kephera for their aide in the Undervault reveal.

Tahtetso got away with being slightly apart but still belonging by blending kepheran and Celestian ideals into Lumosis. Shofangi should also be apart but belong because of the gravity of mastering their bloody and ragey technique. When you're literally hooking your shofa just below someone's ribcage and then ripping them out to expose the entire chest and its contents, even the Serenguard are going to mentally wince and look away from such barbarism (in my head). And then the Shofangi rinse and repeat this maneuver until the poor person dies or bleeds out, while also throwing in bone-powdering kicks for good measure.

EDIT: Whereas I feel like kephera Shofangi masters wouldn't use shofa like Serenwilders do. They don't really -have- rage to master. They'd use it surgically, I think, precisely. There's the divide and what makes Shofangi unique.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Having had a few Shofangi over the years, a lot of the kephera emphasis is from leadership. Stray from that, and you're likely to have a bad time.
  • edited January 2015
    It could actually provide a reason for a "cleansing" as it were.

Like... people could just get really angry about the state of the guild ic and decide to change things. It could possibly be one of the few instances where you could have a guild chuck an ic tantrum about their direction and lack of lore, and actually... like have it work as part of their lore.

EDIT: Haven't been able to get the image of a Ron Burgandy style fight out of my head since I posted this
  • Iari said:
    Qistrel said:
    I didn't feel like clicking agree was quite enough.

I vehemently agree with this statement.
    @Iari and @Qistrel, Azus, as a character that is kepheran, uses kepheran words as part of her personal roleplay. Shofangi use only the words that Sadie created for them, and most Shofangi never use anything but a few titles which, after a few centuries of acclimitisation, the Serenwilde should really be accustomed to by now. I'm not inclined to dispense with them, because they're one of the few parts of older Shofangi lore that still exists. Besides, Spiritsingers get weird gargles of letters for titles.

I've spoken out against the use of kepheran language to refer to the guild as divisive in the past - I feel that calling us 'The Kui' (the clan) is rude, because it implies that we are the only real clan in the Serenwilde, which is obviously untrue. Also, the 'Khan en-Wilde' is the Chief of the Wilde, which would be appropriate for a kepheran guild, but is not appropriate for a Seren guild. If I'm being part of the Serenwilde, I ought to be Khan en-Shofangi, or some similar title. There are newsposts around Seren somewhere on the topic.

Eritheyl said:
    As I've seen, the "lore" that notable Shofangi of late cling to is more kepheran RP than trying to substantiate the guild as an entity of Serenwilde. That's great, that's fine, but what do you do about the players that are not kephera, and have no interest in kephera aside from the necessities? The Shofangi can totally be that place where all of the kephera flock to, and you can keep rattling off your nonsense kepheran gibberish, but how is that going to be attractive to say, an aslaran monk? Having played said aslaran Shofangi a few times, I have to say it's a pretty cold place unless you are a) kephera, or b) a combatant with no need for RP.

Acknowledge the ties, revere the kephera as founders of the guild and their ways, and then move the heck on. Shofangi -need- to be something more. @Azus, I get that it's your thing and all, but it's just not working in terms of a worthwhile guild identity.
    Goodness, let's not be petty. At least name me, @Eritheyl

Kephera are part of the guild's history. To know about the guild is to know a little about the kephera. The guild itself is not intended to be kepheran, it was just never given anything else, and that's taking time to resolve.

Azus, as Queen, has an additional duty to look after kephera. Where an aslari Ejei might recieve the basic training before being allowed to choose and follow his own path like all other Ejei are, a kepheran Ejei (upon reaching Shabinar) is going to recieve additional lessons and support for things pertaining to kepheran culture, Undervault business and things like that. It's no different to having, say, a young McCloud alt in the Celestines, and having Meliana or Saoirse spend personal time with you teaching you more stuff about Celest. As a kepheran GM, I'm not setting out to give people a hard time, I'm exploring racial roleplay.

I don't have guild kephera programs, I don't have compulsory lessons, and I don't make people recite kepheran language. The information exists, and is given to kephera who join Ankhemet, or anyone who asks for it. There's just not a lot of surviving non-kepheran information. I'm working onit.

Iari said:

@Marcella and @Everiine, both of your guilds still have a substantial connection to your city/commune that I think the Shofangi are either missing, or haven't properly solidified.
    @Iari This is something I agree with, absolutely. The Shofangi haven't been absorbed into Seren culture at all. They weren't given any at release, and it hasn't been developed since. I'm laying the foundations, but the interference makes it difficult.

Saran said:

Which makes me question if a different group of shofangi have a different interpretation, if someone from outside the shofangi decided to include Bull without consulting the "experts", or if an admin included him. 

The first means there's conflicting opinions on the relationship with Bull within the guild, the third would mean the players are wrong, and the second well there's all sorts of problems with that such as the possibility that Bull has been showing up because someone who didn't know Bull never turns up decided to make him turn up.
    @Saran that pretty much happened. People decided that though they'd never been a Shofangi before, they knew better than experienced Shofangi leadership, and included him because they heard I wanted him removed. Taken ICly, it only supports my stance of 'he can choose to appear and junk whenever he likes, but chooses not to', which lets Bull wiggle a little deeper into the pit of shame.

Enyalida said:
    The problem there is that bull is tacked on and utterly boring. AFAIK, he doesn't doesn't have anything to do with their roots, and has a bond with them "because". Edit: to clarify, there is a Canon ic quest that outouts the teachings of bull, and it's like . Steadfastness, trustworthiness, reliability, loyalt and "protect the weak." Yes, four of those are basically the same thing. Yes, the last isn't a virtue. Yes, these are bland, generic platitudes.
    If we had a Bull like Hartstone has a Hart, I'd take them as gospel. But he's demonstrated that he lacks each of those qualities, and was never really involved with us in the first place. Even if he were to appear and say 'You should totally do this, because you should do what I say', she'd probably enemy him to the guild. If Terentia let slip that She had slaves She beat, and drank Taint like wine, I feel like the Paladins would have similar reservations should a group of people decide that the guild had been a cult for her since before their creation in Old Celest.
  • Azus said:
    Our harmony might extend into the entire natural world, calming storms, redirecting catastrophy, balancing ecosystems, protecting nature from destruction. We might aspire to the paragons that are the spirits of nature. We might interpret all of nature as one giant bubble of harmony, and worship Nature as a supreme whole. 

I feel like here you pretty much are describing the Hartstone to varying degrees. Restoring plant life (balancing ecosystems) and interacting with the weather are even things they can mechanically do. Conceptually the protection of the natural world is something that all of Serenwilde has a stake in. 

• Those are just examples for how the existing things could be merged with the Serenwilde's greater theme. I rather think that a stake in protecting nature is just what Shofangi needs. It would certainly help bring us together.
    My post was not so much saying we must change the titles, as saying they should never have existed in the first place. Which is an entirely unhelpful thing for me to say.

I do, however, have access to some info about the founding of the Shofangi. I wasn't aware you were looking for it.

IIRC the commune monk guilds were told that they had to be linked to the Astral sphere of their commune for very little reason except because. I think even the bull-named skills were either renamed or added very late in an attempt to make the guild more bullish. So if bull feels tacked on, it's because he was.