Butterfly and bird types

What are the different types of butterflies and birds in Lusternia?

For butterflies, I know that there are the ember butterflies around Guardian Drachou, mooncloak butterflies in Caihome Dell, and translucent gossamer butterflies in Clarramore Gardens.

For birds, I know that there are the vultures that hang around the Skarch and Ruins of Shallach, kestrels flying over Grey Moors, rocs over Oleanvir Valley and two headed eagles on Astral.

Answers

• Valen said:
    What are the different types of butterflies and birds in Lusternia?

For butterflies, I know that there are the ember butterflies around Guardian Drachou, mooncloak butterflies in Caihome Dell, and translucent gossamer butterflies in Clarramore Gardens.

For birds, I know that there are the vultures that hang around the Skarch and Ruins of Shallach, kestrels flying over Grey Moors, rocs over Oleanvir Valley and two headed eagles on Astral.
    There's some pretty cool birds referenced in the Kiakoda reserve!
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited February 2013
    Seagulls and pelicans (I think?) in the Toronada Tidal Flats and, I believe, albatross flying over the Inner Sea (or at least Bondero Bay). Also horned owls in the southern mountains, and hummingbirds in New Celest (?).

Then there's the little bird in Faethorn that is part of the falconer's quest there (I don't remember what species - might not actually be a falcon), and the massive eagles you can buy from the falconer as beasts.

And please, please don't forget Crow.

P.S. I assume you're asking only about the birds and butterflies that have interactive presences in Lusternia (i.e. "item numbers" or hard-coding, whatever it's called)?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Yeah, though it might be interesting to also include birds/butterflies that only show up in room descriptions not player-made.
    Also wakabi (ostrich-like birds in the Skarch), chickens in villages and the pigeons that harass Hallifax in vermin form, cockatrices in the hills south of Glomdoring... and there are ducks somewhere.

According to the general commodity list, there are also magpies, nightingales, parakeets, parrots, partridges, penguins and pheasants (most if not all of which are located in the Kiakodan Nature Reserve, as Eventru mentioned).

Before an earthly flight

Valen said:
    Yeah, though it might be interesting to also include birds/butterflies that only show up in room descriptions not player-made.
    Interesting, probably. Extraordinarily difficult to be thorough, definitely.

Before an earthly flight

• edited February 2013
    Rancoura said:
    Also wakabi (ostrich-like birds in the Skarch), chickens in villages and the pigeons that harass Hallifax in vermin form, cockatrices in the hills south of Glomdoring... and there are ducks somewhere.

According to the general commodity list, there are also magpies, nightingales, parakeets, parrots, partridges, penguins and pheasants (most if not all of which are located in the Kiakodan Nature Reserve, as Eventru mentioned).
    Yeah - there's also gloriana crossbill, ackleberry tweeters, and a couple other rare birds there as well (can't be interacted with directly, but are involved in the quest(s)).

It's also worth pointing out that there's different breeds of wakabi, one of which is in the oleanvir (the oleanvir short-billed wakabi). There's also doves, songbird, lyrebird, and I think a sparrow in Faethorn. There's also burrowing owls in the Oleanvir.

It's important to note that some species (ravens) are extinct, and other species may or may not be extinct (bluejays) in the wake of the destruction of Gloriana.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    There are eagle mobs in Serenwilde and a lot of birds referenced in descriptions - woodpeckers, goldfinches, robins, sparrows, doves....and yes, blue jays. They're not extinct cause we still have them.

• There's a robin in Tolborolla Valley. I feel like I've seen a hummingbird somewhere as well, although that might have been someone's pet.
  • There are eagle mobs in Serenwilde and a lot of birds referenced in descriptions - woodpeckers, goldfinches, robins, sparrows, doves....and yes, blue jays. They're not extinct cause we still have them.
    I couldn't remember if they were referenced elsewhere or not (though I feel like if you ring the bell with bird seed on the ground and not your hand, bluejays come and eat it). Just for a reference point, when Viravain was 'remaking' the Glomdoring into Gloriana, she would kiss the animals and remake them into what they once were, and bats turned into bluejays! Whole new perception of Magnagora, what with its bats in every belfry, eh?
    So as a note there are different breeds of owl as well - the burrowing owls in Oleanvir, the great horned owls in the southern mountains, and whatever kind of owl delivers Serenwilde's mail (which is a grey or barn owl, perhaps? - it's been a long, long, long time since I've received mail from anyone there). And if you were looking for where the birds are located or seen, also, I believe doves are used for God-mail and mail sent from a manse post office artifact. Possibly somewhere else as well.

Before an earthly flight

• Ah, and then there are Mysrai's maddened butterflies.

Were all ravens changed to crows, @Eventru?
  • edited February 2013
    Eventru said:
    I couldn't remember if they were referenced elsewhere or not (though I feel like if you ring the bell with bird seed on the ground and not your hand, bluejays come and eat it). Just for a reference point, when Viravain was 'remaking' the Glomdoring into Gloriana, she would kiss the animals and remake them into what they once were, and bats turned into bluejays! Whole new perception of Magnagora, what with its bats in every belfry, eh?

Well, Geomancers were Flower-Power hippies. Bluejays fit!
  • Valen said:

Ah, and then there are Mysrai's maddened butterflies.

Were all ravens changed to crows, @Eventru?

I think Mysrai's things are moths?

And yes, when Raven was changed so were all the animals. The risk of a hive soul, I guess.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I do remember there was a raven's cry (or whatever noise they make) referenced in one of the mountain rooms, but it was ages ago I saw it and can't remember where it was. I'm thinking north-east?