Events! The Good, and the Not-So-Good

Comments

• Eventru said:
    Events are usually ran at the convenience of the admin running them. It's not really fair to say to an admin to get up at 3am to run an event so that Fania doesn't have to stay up late!

Usually events are in 'prime' time though, because that's when our free time tends to be, as well.
    I don't mean that at all. I'm on PST time, so I'm usually on during the prime times. There have been a few times were a small event was run that started around 11pm PST. That would be fine if there were a lot of people around, but there wasn't at this time (I remember there was a quest that only Mortexia and Fania were active to complete). The only bad part about it is that these particular events were directed at people in Celest, but done during a time when there were only a couple of active people were awake in Celest. I do know that the admins have to do these when it's convenient for them, but I also don't want to feel like they are wasting their time if they start an event at a late hour and no one participates. I can't stay up to 3am doing a quest any more, but when I did have time I tried to make an effort to help complete the event that someone worked so hard to start.  
  • Too bad "prime" time tends to be US prime time. But that's how things go, I guess.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Too bad "prime" time tends to be US prime time. But that's how things go, I guess.
    I'm sure if they had an admin and enough people around I'm sure they'd do events during those times. I remember just before Isune slept last time she was only around at hours that were fairly late for me. It's great for members who don't live in the same time zone as myself, and at the time it wasn't too terrible for me. I'm sure she did a lot at that time that I missed, but I don't think any of them would be considered events.It is nice that they do have admins that are available at non-prime hours as well. I do think events are needed in the off hours, just want there to be participants for these. 
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    An event is always going to be late at night for someone. I miss a lot of events, and I don't see gods or ephemerals very often. But it's just because of my time-zone. It's not something that I can complain about. If an event happens when there's not many people about, then it's often a chance for people like me to be part of one. And that's nice.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Way, way late.  Ugh.  But so happy- fun little event.

Looks like a new quest for Soulless curio pieces too...

Um, thank Estarra for the advent of Scroll of Laurels.
  • This was a pretty sweet event. I got to use Celest's lecterns for something!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I had to pass out before the Dames were dealt with in the new area and thus see how it all ends, because it was about 5:30 in the sodding morning here.

But despite people running around like headless chickens and murdering groups trying to form some sort of organised cohesion by dropping Dominator swarms on them, I had fun!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I'm kinda wondering if it might be possible to have the apocalypse event not end up with the seals fracturing.

Like... it's fun and all but I just kinda had a moment last week where I was like "oh, when are the events starting looks like they're a bit late" but then I was a bit disappointed because I had that thought. I guess I would just really like to see other ways that we could have ascension occur that could mix it up a bit.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I was expecting the climax of that event to be "Oh, you've beaten off the Goloth but he's reforming. It'll take him a while this time, as he didn't really expect that much of resistance, but he'll be back. Perhaps you can empower the seals to lock him out of reality, just like Kethuru!"

So that the bad guy would be different. 
  • Events are awesome, I wish I could've played more during this because it looks like it would've been very fun! 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited January 2013
    I was looking at Xenthos' original post, and then I saw @Alacardael mention something in the Year in Review thread, that the favorite event was the Aetherring event.

I was thinking about this, and I agree--right now, the best event (or at least end event) was 2010's Gnafia event.  Right now in that mind, that event was my personal favorite, which I rate an A, while the other two climaxes (Icewynd and Goloths) were a B- and a B+ respectively.  Since I want this to be a positive feedback thread, I figured I should write down why I liked that event more than the other two, and where I think the climaxes should go in the future.

The Climax event in 2010 was a slow build of change that occurred over a course of a week or more, rather than a sudden climax.  There were 8 days of craziness infecting the Basin, from just some world emotes to threatening storms, a crazy situation where all the towns went nuts and crazy, a plague, a cure gone wrong, fighting between monks, and even Solstice gnomes that were crying.  This gave people a reason to log in and things kept changing.  Plus, the admins running the events were having a lot of fun, making it interactive, from having miners show up in my manse to winging it based on what people were doing (the Gnafia insulting players over their captured loudspeakers).  

Compare that to these last two events.  Now, I'm aware that in part these are "delaying tactics", giving people enough time to build, code, and debug new things, which is why you will occasionally get delays.  However, the last two times, the delaying event was more or less a "fetch quest", we got the giving tree in 2011 and the Wheel spins in 2012.  I am wondering if in part it's because it's a lot harder to unleash a new area as opposed to a new combat system (which is what was being worked on in 2010), which probably meant the admin got more time to fiddle around with the actual event.  But I felt if we were getting a delaying tactic in 2010, it was a lot more organic and dynamic because of the slow buildup and the admin interventions.  That might not be possible every year, but perhaps we might want to revisit this type of buildup.  (For instance, my expectations were so high I expected the prophecies to come true in part--I expected cities to be invaded, nexii to be taken, and people struggling to escape and regroup before we fought back).

Also perfect was the fight back pacing of 2010.  There were several things that the Basin had to fix, so we all fought back over the course of a long weekend--I think if people missed event A and C, they would have been around for B and D--you might have missed the conflict with Guido on Bottledowns but you may have been able to fight Coldsteel on Frostica, and vice-versa.  The final conflict happened in one evening and climaxed at a fitting time.  It seems the last two climax events have been a big "all nighter" type of thing--which is okay, but it's kind of grueling especially for an aging playerbase who can't keep doing this.  The timing's also been kind of unlucky--Icewynd was released on New Year's Eve(!!), while this last one happened on Sunday night at the end of most people's vacations (at the very least, Friday or Saturday might work better for this type of event)--conversely, the Gnafia event climaxed and ended IMO perfectly--4 days before Christmas--I tend to see the populations peaking in December, when more people are finishing up school (High School and College) and appear to have the most free time available.  I realize there's a lot here you may not be able to control--either because of the behind the scenes building or the availability of all the volunteers, but I figured I'd provide my feedback.

Again, both 2011 and 2012's events have been great, I am probably more fond of the Gnafia event because it just fit my style of play, and admittedly at least one admin at the time had a lot of fun with me--that was my year to shine.  (Thanks, whoever you are/were!).  And I know the Gnafia event wasn't as fun for others.  But I wanted to provide my feedback on these events because the end-of-year ones that lead to the ascension are very important, especially since you've been doing a meta-plot for the past several years.  

Any other thoughts from others on this?
    [BANNERCODE]
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Sunday evening US events are Mondays for some of us. Mondays are not good days for world shaking events :(

• Lavinya said:
    Sunday evening US events are Mondays for some of us. Mondays are not good days for world shaking events :(

Sunday evening is also not good for those of us with jobs on Monday mornings.
  • No time's gonna make everyone happy. The best time to do events is when most admin are free or undistracted. I'd rather have an event well done with a smaller group than an event badly done with a larger group. The former generates satisfaction with the smaller group and jealousy in the larger group, the latter generates disatisfaction in the larger group and relief in the smaller group.

Go with the former, please. I'd rather miss events than be part of a botched one.

why would it be botched for being a Saturday over a Sunday? :p

Obviously events run when the event runners are free to run them. Would be nice if from time to time said admin were free on a Saturday instead! Share the love!

• Lavinya said:

Obviously events run when the event runners are free to run them. Would be nice if from time to time said admin were free on a Saturday instead! Share the love!
    Some of us work saturdays, and sunday nights are (far) more convenient.

And sometimes, we just need the extra day to make sure our ducks are in a row.
  • edited January 2013
    Eventru said:
    Lavinya said:

I'm just gonna say, I'm still actually really, really angry(to say the least) about the Wildewood release.

I've been trying to get logs and I'm probably going to be pestering more for them because I want to know what happened during the event, wooo we get Wildewood. But I wanna see what actually happened during the release.

And I mean if all this is the case, that we can expect that events are going to be run midday on Mondays, then I feel like I'm going to be cut out of any events that are run for the guild and I have an impression that this would be the same for quite a few members.

EDIT: I understand that yes the bulk of the admin are volunteers, but the suckyness here is coming from really wanting to actually be involved in the events, especially the ones for my guild and not being able to. So I'm hoping there might be someway that events can be pushed forward so that I and others in similar timezones can participate.

• Eventru said:
    Lavinya said:

I'm just gonna say, I'm still actually really, really angry(to say the least) about the Wildewood release.

I've been trying to get logs and I'm probably going to be pestering more for them because I want to know what happened during the event, wooo we get Wildewood. But I wanna see what actually happened during the release.

And I mean if all this is the case, that we can expect that events are going to be run midday on Mondays, then I feel like I'm going to be cut out of any events that are run for the guild and I have an impression that this would be the same for quite a few members.

EDIT: I understand that yes the bulk of the admin are volunteers, but the suckyness here is coming from really wanting to actually be involved in the events, especially the ones for my guild and not being able to. So I'm hoping there might be someway that events can be pushed forward so that I and others in similar timezones can participate.

We do try to make a conscious effort to include as many players as possible for events, particularly guild-related ones. Unfortunately, someone is always excluded. It's not uncommon for longer events to run from Thurs-Sun, or Fri-Sun. Just the nature of the beast. Wildewood release, particularly, was Sunday instead of Saturday because of some finishing touches that needed adding. Of course, when admin who have an 'off-hours' presence run events, we do try to have them then. Most of us are USers, though, so there's only so much flexibility. :(
  • edited January 2013
    What? Guild-related events are probably only held when enough members of sufficient import in the guild are around at the same time as the admin running them are free. If you can only log in outside of these times, then you're going to get used to missing these events. The admin run events only when the conditions required to run them are met, I doubt they have the resources to time them to either deny or cater specifically to select groups players.

edit: my post was directed at Saran, obviously.

Blatant Aussie prejudice, hmph. (no one cares about the kiwis)

We get you guys are busy people too, and stuff happens when you're there to  make it happen. It would just be nice if one day that was not always Monday is all I'm saying! You can't guilt me, shiny man!

• Lavinya said:

We get you guys are busy people too, and stuff happens when you're there to  make it happen. It would just be nice if one day that was not always Monday is all I'm saying! You can't guilt me, shiny man!
    But your demands make Morgfyre cry. Cry deep, horrible tears of awfulness. I mean, if he cries much more, he's likely to cry out Hajamin, then he'll be free. And really, once Hajamin is free, Morgfyre will REALLY cry.

Don't you feel a little guilty?
  • Lerad said:
    What? Guild-related events are probably only held when enough members of sufficient import in the guild are around at the same time as the admin running them are free. If you can only log in outside of these times, then you're going to get used to missing these events. The admin run events only when the conditions required to run them are met, I doubt they have the resources to time them to either deny or cater specifically to select groups players.

Erm, Lerad I was completely free the day before for the times that the event was being run, as were a few of the other members that are in the same time zone. For me I think this event ran from about 10/11am-1/2pm.

So it is a case of I was available for that time period on the day before (saturday for US) but not for the day it was run because it was a monday here and I was therefore at work.

I would have expected that sundays here/saturdays there would have been a prime time actually, given that we would expect more people to be free as it is a weekend regardless of it you're on EST or AEST. Unfortunately I think it's people closer to/just after gmt that would miss out on this point.

Also to your opening sentence, I am sorry that the Guild Admin(who was also mentioned in the event post for the event that preceeded this one) is not important enough for you if you feel such is a consideration of when an event should run. I'm not asking events not to run because I'm not there, I'm just saying that I really wish that they were run when I could be there.

• Eventru said:
    Lavinya said:

But your demands make Morgfyre cry. Cry deep, horrible tears of awfulness. I mean, if he cries much more, he's likely to cry out Hajamin, then he'll be free. And really, once Hajamin is free, Morgfyre will REALLY cry.

ergh, my immediate thought was that he'd just eat him again.
    Eventru said:
    Lavinya said:

-eyeshift-

No.  >:P

• Lavinya said:
    Eventru said:
    Lavinya said:

-eyeshift-

No.  >:P
    Me neither.
  • Saran said:
    Lerad said:

Erm, Lerad I was completely free the day before for the times that the event was being run, as were a few of the other members that are in the same time zone. For me I think this event ran from about 10/11am-1/2pm.

So it is a case of I was available for that time period on the day before (saturday for US) but not for the day it was run because it was a monday here and I was therefore at work.

I would have expected that sundays here/saturdays there would have been a prime time actually, given that we would expect more people to be free as it is a weekend regardless of it you're on EST or AEST. Unfortunately I think it's people closer to/just after gmt that would miss out on this point.

Also to your opening sentence, I am sorry that the Guild Admin(who was also mentioned in the event post for the event that preceeded this one) is not important enough for you if you feel such is a consideration of when an event should run. I'm not asking events not to run because I'm not there, I'm just saying that I really wish that they were run when I could be there.

Saturday wasn't convenient for those running it, sorry.

While I'm sorry you weren't there, I promise those running the next events won't be waiting for any guild admin in any of the other guilds to have some time to log in for their releases, either. Unless it's specifically tailored to require that individual/that position, I don't think anyone will be holding events in the hopes one specific person would log on, at the risk of losing the rest of the intended audience. And while I recognize you're not asking events not to run without you, it does come across that way, which is where I think Lerad is coming from.
  • Eventru said:
    Saran said:
    Lerad said:

Saturday wasn't convenient for those running it, sorry.

While I'm sorry you weren't there, I promise those running the next events won't be waiting for any guild admin in any of the other guilds to have some time to log in for their releases, either. Unless it's specifically tailored to require that individual/that position, I don't think anyone will be holding events in the hopes one specific person would log on, at the risk of losing the rest of the intended audience. And while I recognize you're not asking events not to run without you, it does come across that way, which is where I think Lerad is coming from.

I only mention the guild admin thing because I found the line about having "enough members of sufficient import" a rather odd qualification.

And yes, for this particular event I would have loved to be there(especially given what I have heard happened during it) but I also assume that players in New Zealand and on the west coast of australia and along the what... six to seven time zones that could be included if the events are on a saturday would also similarly appreciate events being run on a day that they can also potentially be included.

I can tell you right now I'd be far less upset if it were run on a sunday (here) and I happened to be working, because I'd understand that there is a general expectation that there would be more people available.

• Just to clarify that first sentence which you seem to take so much issue with, I meant "non-novices" when I added in the clause about import. Obviously the admin aren't going to start an event about a guild when there're only 10 collegium/novices around - they'd want at least one or two gr1/2. Unless, of course, it's an event that's specifically about novices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In short, they're going to run the events when it's suitable to be run. I think this is an assumption we can all work with.

Your post, Saran, came across as being "actually really, really angry(to say the least)" that you didn't get to participate in the event due to timezones. I'm in south-east asia, my evenings are US middays - in other words, my usual login times are smack in the middle of the usual no-event zone. I've been missing important events for RL years now, until I managed to get my midday schedule opened up lately. I don't expect the admin to bend over backwards to cater for me - they have other, more important responsibilities, and if there are one or two minor events during the occassional off peak, I count that as being lucky. As such, I felt rather inclined to reply to a post that seemed to be asking for some kind of special treatment. If I misintepreted your post, I apologize.

• Lerad said:
    Just to clarify that first sentence which you seem to take so much issue with, I meant "non-novices" when I added in the clause about import. Obviously the admin aren't going to start an event about a guild when there're only 10 collegium/novices around - they'd want at least one or two gr1/2. Unless, of course, it's an event that's specifically about novices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In short, they're going to run the events when it's suitable to be run. I think this is an assumption we can all work with.

Your post, Saran, came across as being "actually really, really angry(to say the least)" that you didn't get to participate in the event due to timezones. I'm in south-east asia, my evenings are US middays - in other words, my usual login times are smack in the middle of the usual no-event zone. I've been missing important events for RL years now, until I managed to get my midday schedule opened up lately. I don't expect the admin to bend over backwards to cater for me - they have other, more important responsibilities, and if there are one or two minor events during the occassional off peak, I count that as being lucky. As such, I felt rather inclined to reply to a post that seemed to be asking for some kind of special treatment. If I misintepreted your post, I apologize.

I think then we might be... roughly on a similar timezone.

Again, my point is primarily 24 hours earlier my expectation is that we'd have more people around, the US crowd could be slightly diminished as it would be early saturday night I believe but the non-US would hopefully make up for that. And it seems like it would be a good way to include players that would miss out on events such as those that run over multiple days and end on (american) sundays.

• Saran said:
    Lerad said:
    Just to clarify that first sentence which you seem to take so much issue with, I meant "non-novices" when I added in the clause about import. Obviously the admin aren't going to start an event about a guild when there're only 10 collegium/novices around - they'd want at least one or two gr1/2. Unless, of course, it's an event that's specifically about novices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In short, they're going to run the events when it's suitable to be run. I think this is an assumption we can all work with.

I think then we might be... roughly on a similar timezone.

Again, my point is primarily 24 hours earlier my expectation is that we'd have more people around, the US crowd could be slightly diminished as it would be early saturday night I believe but the non-US would hopefully make up for that. And it seems like it would be a good way to include players that would miss out on events such as those that run over multiple days and end on (american) sundays.

Because I am severely lacking in tact, let me say Boo f-ing hoo

You missed an event and those who were there didn't keep a log. That is disappointing. (Check with your patron to see if there was a transcript or something you could snag.)
    It was not a conspiracy, it was not malicious, it was unfortunate. 
    You aren't the only person to have to deal with such a thing and it is a known problem that the admin take into account when they can.

Raging like this will accomplish one thing and one thing only. Admin are only human, and consciously or not, they will avoid interacting with people who behave like this. Not only did you miss out on this event you have now come across as selfish, ungrateful and just plain rude. If i was a volunteer I would have all of nothing to do with you ever again.

Well done.