Events! The Good, and the Not-So-Good

13»

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I kind of have to agree with Lerad and (surprisingly) Llandros.

We actually did keep logs, I just haven't had the time to go back to my other computer (which was what I was using at the time), dig up the log, and clean it, and am not really inclined to do so because someone feels entitled to be present and in charge of guild events. 

Keep in mind also that Sondayga and I (And a few others) were staying up late nights for 2 weeks in a row just waiting for this event to happen. Every weekend was "Okay, so last weekend we got the aquachem report in, last week was probably checking the skillset, event has to be this weekend" and then the world event happened. "Okay, so two weeks ago aquachem, week where they worked on code. week where they did that other big event... This weekend", staying on and alert just to be around for this one event. It wasn't happenstance we were both around for part or all of the event.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

All SD event better revolve around me and when I log on. I WARN YOU NOW, HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A PRINCESS SCORNED.

But really, this is kind of (really) silly. Asking the admin and players to stall an event just for one person to log on, especially over something the players know is coming and have been waiting for, is remarkably selfish. I good rule of thumb is this: it's not about you. Once you accept this, it's easy to get over the fact that you missed an event.

• Enyalida said:
    I kind of have to agree with Lerad and (surprisingly) Llandros.

We actually did keep logs, I just haven't had the time to go back to my other computer (which was what I was using at the time), dig up the log, and clean it, and am not really inclined to do so because someone feels entitled to be present and in charge of guild events. 

Keep in mind also that Sondayga and I (And a few others) were staying up late nights for 2 weeks in a row just waiting for this event to happen. Every weekend was "Okay, so last weekend we got the aquachem report in, last week was probably checking the skillset, event has to be this weekend" and then the world event happened. "Okay, so two weeks ago aquachem, week where they worked on code. week where they did that other big event... This weekend", staying on and alert just to be around for this one event. It wasn't happenstance we were both around for part or all of the event.
    I don't actually feel the need to be in charge of events, I just want to participate. The only real leadery stuff that I would have been doing would have been pushing people to get essence and the as well as organising the other stuff like gold and comms.

I'm also sorry, but you seem to think that people in different time zones weren't waiting just as much, with just as much excitement every week, Hiri and Astrasia were both really excited from the week that Aquachem came out. I was up early on saturdays and sundays (I work night shifts), I was checking in constantly throughout them and on the odd days when I was at work on the weekends, I was grabbing desks specifically positioned so that I could do so as well which I can only get away with then because the managers are away, but on a monday they're all around and I can't get a good desk so that's just not possible.

I'm sorry but per my previous posts, I would have understood if I missed it if it were on a weekend but the announce post for Wildewood was up 1:34 am GMT so for more than half of the world, it was a Monday. For some they could have stayed up late on a night where they have to go to work/school the next day, for others they might have already been there, and of course some would have been asleep which is the one that we can never avoid. 

There really is no need for you to be so aggressive in your posting, events at time where more players can participate in them means more engagement in the game rather than letting the disappointment build for players who are GMT+ rather than GMT- when they miss out on things. They are also a really good way to get people involved and excited, hopefully helping to grow the playerbase and having more people around in the other time zones means that you have more people who can be there "off prime". I am severely disturbed that there are players that have the expectation that they won't get to participate in events.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    That's all on them.  Events run at all times; it entirely depends on when the Administration is available and wants to do it.

They might be more focused at certain timezones, but there is not much that can be done about that- the staff are people too, and they need their beauty sleep!

I'd look at it from the other side; be grateful for the ones who stay up late to bring the joy of events to those on the other side of the world. :)
  • edited January 2013
    Well, on the topic of beauty sleep, Morgfyre needs a lot of it. Mysrai tends to always be half-asleep (damn poppies), so I think that counts. I just get good looks naturally, thanks be to Dynara. (And a brofist to Maylea and Isune, because we've got good looks in spades)

The last I'll say on this branch of the topic - and I hope others will follow suit and let it lie - is that I am sorry if people feel excluded because of the time frames we run events. We always try to be mindful of these things - unfortunately the options were "wait until next weekend" or "Sunday". Honestly, the skillset was coded at light speed, and those helping with messages were left in the dust by Iosai. Typical!

On the upside, events of this nature tend to be small, as they are guild-specific, tailored to an expected audience of 4 or 5 people (though we always like to be surprised and see dozens!). Larger events tend to be scaled over days, often culminating on Sundays - because the majority of our players tend to be ending their weekend then. While "half the world" (to the contrary, far more than half - the largest percent of the world's population is in countries like China, India, and other eastern regions), the reality is that most of our players are able to share our time frame, and so we try to include them.

Does this mean events don't occur off hours? No. I have personally ran numerous events, stuck at my computer for 12-18 hours, such that people in every time zone are able to participate in some facet of it.

But when it comes to small events, they'll usually be tailored to when we can manage the largest crowd - and when is convenient for those who have to handle any unforeseen repercussions. There simply is no going around that latter aspect.

Again, I'm sorry you've felt left out. However, it was done at a time that was not only convenient for the admin running it, but when we felt we could get as many involved as possible while also trying to keep people from having to wait further.

If that upsets you, I'm sorry. I really am. I don't know what to tell you beyond that.

I do hope those who were able to participate enjoyed it, though - I know two admin largely responsible for it put in a lot of effort to get it ready in a short time frame, and I commend them both.

And, as I feel like I'm repeating myself, I really don't have much more to say on it.

Ultimately if you feel something is unfair or wrong, you should approach Support with your comments. I know Estarra welcomes them, and we all strive to make Lusternia the best IRE game there is.

(And I really wish we had half the world's population playing. Man.)
  • Now, release the krak... I mean, other guild's skills!  No rush though, I know they will come out when they are meant to!
  • Inorite?

I have my own in game events planned out for the release of all future skills. They are mostly tantrum based but I have them set up mad lib style so I just plug in a few key words and hit the macro. 

This way it will cause the most amount of disruption and frustration with virtually no effort on my part!

Enjoying the game is for chumps, yo! The kool kids are only happy when they ruin other peoples fun, like a boss!