Artifact Ideas

edited October 2012 in Ideas

Post your ideas for new artifacts here!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Not really a new artifact, per se, but a new line of them? I think it'd be nice to have "mini-artifacts", even if they were just pale versions of actual artifacts. Costs 1-5 credits (or maybe a decent amount of gold instead) and has one-to-few uses in it, depending on its purpose. It'd be a way for those without a lot of credits to get a small benefit.

Perhaps have some of them be flakey-runes, that "peel" off after a period of time/use (and don't make things permanent, obviously) that give smaller bonuses than actual runes. Not sure if this would adversely affect the field, but since they're temporary, they'd be bought more often (in theory).

>_>
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited October 2012
    On the god blog about beasts, I asked about/learned that after a while, the feeds on a beast "max out", meaning that no matter what you feed your beast from that point on, when administered zimoru its appearance will never be as dramatic as a "fresh" beast's. This is disappointing to someone like me: both greatly attached to the beasts I have and very interested in playing with zimoru to see what else I can get. 

Therefore I'd like a (relatively inexpensive) beast reagent artifact in the vein of wackodoru that instead of resetting trains resets the feed history of a beast, allowing for a fresh start. 

Seriously, I've spent hundreds of credits on zimoru alone, but doubt I will be buying anymore now that I know I don't just have bad luck and I really am mechanically stuck with a boring thunderbird. I can't just get a "fresh" thunderbird because 1) I love Belenus so much and would never kill him just to get something prettier and 2) he is collared and that would be a ridiculous waste of credits.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    An Ikon-generator; once per RL day you can pull an Ikon out of it.
    It also comes with the ability to tune it to a specific (non-Eternal!) set, meaning that you'll always get an Ikon from that set (but the ikon drawn remains random).

1 ikon every 24 hours isn't going to throw things off; can generate more than that pretty readily in other ways.

Possible addition:
    * Further comes with a low (2-5%?) chance of drawing a random Eternal ikon, since it is an artifact after all, regardless of how it is tuned.
    Quest curio companion; whenever you earn a quest curio, a second one is automatically generated from the same collection!
    A skillflex enhancement artifact: raises the number of skillflex points per day from 50 to 100.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Xenthos said:
    A skillflex enhancement artifact: raises the number of skillflex points per day from 50 to 100.
    It would be nice if this was an added effect on the Cord (without raising its price) to make it feel more worthy of its cost.
  • Stake of guarding: Permanent Nature Guard in a room. The stake is planted until the owner recalls it. It would be awesome to be able to have a few spots in certain areas (Water plane, Astral spheres, swamps etc) where you can be sure the herbs are safe from both hibernation and stripharvesters.
  • There's an artifact that already gives Nature Growth. Why not make an additional one to give the Nature Guard skill as well instead of, or preferably in addition to the artifact above.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Stake of guarding: Permanent Nature Guard in a room. The stake is planted until the owner recalls it. It would be awesome to be able to have a few spots in certain areas (Water plane, Astral spheres, swamps etc) where you can be sure the herbs are safe from both hibernation and stripharvesters.
    If it's going to be permanent, it should have an additional cost. Like each stake draining so much power from your reserves.
  • Considering you'd buy it with credits and you'd only be able to put the stake in one place at a time, why would it need an additional cost?
  • Ssaliss said:
    Considering you'd buy it with credits and you'd only be able to put the stake in one place at a time, why would it need an additional cost?
    I'm assuming you're allowed as many stakes as you want? If not, then I have no argument. If so, I stand by the power drain. Assuming someone wants to be not nice ICly and strip harvest everything in certain places, then they find they're not able because of a one time fee stake... 
  • Well, sure, you'd be allowed to buy as many stakes as you want... but if a stake costs, say, 50-100cr, then that should be enough of a cost. Each stake would only be placed in one room though (so you wouldn't be able to permanently guard Glomdoring by buying a single stake).
  • Eh, I'm just not keen on the permanentess of it. What about a power cost to uproot the things, sending them back to your inventory or somesuch? Isn't completely permanent, doesn't cost you anything else, and those who hate on herbs in certain places can do their thing still.
  • Well, if just anyone can poof it back to you, then it would be little better than Nature Guard. The point of it would be to have a guaranteed place to replant from without having to bother Ascendants or Ecologists (which are in short supply).
  • edited February 2014

It is completely pointless to sell an artifact that nature guards a room if any random troll can destroy it at whim. I certainly wouldn't pay anything for it.

My alternate proposal; 10p to plant a stake, it lasts one IC year. You can uproot it early for no cost (allowing you to refresh at will), but having a farm of them gets onerous. Further, since they are not completely permanent we would not end up with a scenario where all of an area ends up protected. As players go dormant their stakes vanish.

I really like the concept behind the idea, just needs a little tweaking.
  • Not sure how this would play out ICly, but having an artifact that increases our target/alias max would be nice. :|
  • edited October 2012
    Greater and Lesser Rune of Dominion.

A dingbat tint item that tints an item in your inventory (worn item, preferably) a color of your choice. Maybe 2-3 dingbats to color that coral necklace pink, or those aquamancer robes blue when someone looks at you.

change the cloak of shifting hues into a rune you can attach to non-enchanted clothing to make it permanent along with the usual effects.

change the glamrock into a dingbat item.
  • Drayl said:
    Not sure how this would play out ICly, but having an artifact that increases our target/alias max would be nice. :|
    Target / alias max? This is what clients are for... right?

Or do you mean being able to hit more than one person at a time? No to that -- Lusternia is very group-combat-centric, where different archtypes play different roles. It would diminish the need to have mages/druids (who typically hit more than one person at a time) if everyone had the potential to. Introducing artifacts that become the 'standard' that everyone has to get to be useful is not ideal.

Unless you mean enemy/ally max - which is the Rune of Dominion.

:-/
  • I'm assuming he means ST <tar> <stuff> and SETALIAS <stuff>. Which, quite frankly, is a bit too limited (at least with targets); I think you can only store 10 targets. Haven't found a limit to aliases though.
  • Yeah, I mean the TAR/ALIAS stuff as Ssaliss pointed out. I know there are clients, but I find myself, on occasion, without my laptop but a way to play the game. I dont' want to be completely crippled in what I can do there.

Also, "ST TA MOB" clears out the TAR target, but "ST TAR MOB" afterwards won't work due to "max". Dunno whats up with that.
  • Don't the HTML5 client / Nexus client provide unlimited aliases? How do you connect if you're not connecting through your standard MUSHclient/Mudlet/ZMud, etc?

I wouldn't see this as an artifact that needs to be added if this is an issue -- should just be something that's available.
  • Dunno. Haven't tried the HTML5 client? Unless it has a useful configuration for tablet/phone, it won't work for my purposes. :|
  • What about something that alters the look of a woven planar gate?  Maybe restrict it to gatemaster'd gates.  Could be something customizable, or just org-flavoured.  Could also see this being a demi power.
  • Make the auction terrain arties available to the general populace, please.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Igasho Crampons - eliminates/reduces balance loss on scaling.
  • Squid Pouch - darkens an underwater room, similar to fog in outdoor rooms.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Ssaliss said:
    I'm assuming he means ST <tar> <stuff> and SETALIAS <stuff>. Which, quite frankly, is a bit too limited (at least with targets); I think you can only store 10 targets. Haven't found a limit to aliases though.
    SETALIAS is limited to a maximum of 100 aliases which should be more than enough for most people
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?