Bug finding quest

So... I'm not sure if I've found a bug in the bug finding quest or if I'm just really really unlucky, or if it doesn't work as I expect it to, but... so far, I've tried finding four bugs. No luck at all. I've been able to find all the other finding quests (the ice-things for that ice-guardian, the cubes, etc), so it shouldn't be this hard if it works the same.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong when resetting it though. The first thing I did was shake the rod on Prime (yeah yeah, silly me, I thought that's how it worked) and it gave me the message "Knowing that a pesky bug has infested your very dowsing rod, you give it a vigorous shake and are wholly satisfied when you are rewarded with the sight of a small critter flying out of the metal. You quickly try to stamp on the bug, but it scurries away before you can get your foot down". If I go off-prime and shake it, the same message is given, but if I shake it on Prime now, I instead get the message "You give a temporal dowsing rod a hefty shake, but find yourself unable to find a single bug! Maybe it's a phantom bug... or maybe it's just you". So... did I manage to break my rod, or is that's how it's supposed to look?

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That means you tried to reset it, but it didn't need resetting. IE, there's a valid "bug" you're able to find.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Heh. And now I've gotten three bugs in ten minutes or so... I guess I was just really unlucky before.
  • I'm still unsure about how this works, is it basically go around using the rod in every room?
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • edited November 2013
    Not every room. It can give three or four messages: One message for "it's in the area", and various messages indicating range. I'm not 100% sure on the range, but I think it extends 20 rooms.

EDIT: I think the "in the area" message and the message for the longest range is the same though.
  • Also, I really hope the rod is permanent and resetting to us. It would be an awesome memento.

Would it also be possible to be able to repeat the bug hunting part of this, but strip all rewards if we're already honorary members of Iosai's order? I'm not saying I want to get power or XP or gold from the quest, I just want to be able to hunt the bugs on occasion...
  • I'm curious, where / how does one join Iosai's order? I want in before it is too late D:
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Do this quest enough times. I didn't count, but I think it's ten times.
  • I can't find any bugs :( Bah
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited November 2013
    I don't think it actually has a 'it's in the area' message, just a 'you're within a radius' message. 

Like all scavenger hunt mementos, the rod is likely not a resetting item - but Iosai did change it so that they do not decay.

EDIT: Also, that thing about the "phantom bug, or perhaps it's just you" doesn't mean it failed... it's just a silly message. Shaking it sufficiently off-prime resets it, and that is the reset message. 
  • I actually checked earlier, and either the range is large enough to cover the mountains from just off of Avechna's Peak all the way down to near the Blasted Lands, or there is an "in area" message.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited November 2013
    The range is pretty long, it's just that the Basin has so many nooks and crannies that you can't simply find them all from the main roads.

If you find you're struggling, return to your nexus and shake the rod to try another one.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• It really should have an "In-area" message, simply because there are a couple areas that have rooms locked away and thus can't be found simply by counting the amount of room exits there are to the target.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • From one of the points I got the message "The pull of the aether barely registers within you", I could pathfind to the end point. In that instance, it wasn't in the same area, and it was 22 rooms away. In another case, I couldn't pathfind, and at that time I was within the same area. Since pathfinding has a range of 50 rooms (IIRC), that means the range of the furthest line is either between 20 and 50+ rooms, or it's the same message for both.
  • Oh, I don't think it necessarily needs a different message. Just some notification that "yo, this bug's hiding behind the lava falls. TIme to quest".
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I'm... not sure if this is on purpose or not, but attacking the bug is triggering my sheens as if I were attacking myself!
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Once the resetting thing was put in, this has become much less tedious.  There is indeed an "in area" message (it just appears to have the same wording as the "25 rooms away" message).

You just need to:
    1) Try it 1x on each of the 4 mountain ranges.
    2) Try it 1x on each of the 4 roads.
    3) Try it 1x in each of the bigger Prime areas (eg Moors, Spectre, Skarch, etc).
    4) If you don't find it in any of the usual suspect ranges, then go to Ethereal and shake the rod.  This will reset it.  Once reset, go back to #1.
    5) If you do find it, squish it and go back to #1!
  • I don't know that there is an 'in area' message, or if there is it checks for a path. Using it in a gravedigger pit (with the digger alive) gave no response, yet when I killed the digger (and the path up opened) I got a 'very close' message.
  • edited November 2013
    As Xenthos said, there is indeed an in-area message, or at least something similar. That's what made it not-impossible to find these bugs in the Undervault.

Ah, I see what Akyaevin said... now I'm not so sure.
  • It could be some bit of special code that runs if there are no exits... or the gravedigger pits are somehow in their own area or something. Either way, it's really odd.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited November 2013
    There's no in-area message because when I went out of range within the same area, it gave me a negative.
  • edited November 2013
    There is an in-area message; it's the same as the message shown when the target location is 15<=x<25 rooms away. It is: The pull of the aether barely registers within you.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    As to shaking the rod and not getting a new bug... it's not that you can find a viable one, it's that you're doing it on Prime. To get a new bug, you have to shake off prime.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I've only found one so far, with an hour of trying this thing. At first, I was thinking some kind of hint would be helpful, a la Nature scavenger hunts or something.

But then I realized that with our vague, unspecific and nonsensical bug reports, blindly exploring the world until you find it by magic is probably a very appropriate metaphor for what Iosai does.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Riluna said:
    I've only found one so far, with an hour of trying this thing. At first, I was thinking some kind of hint would be helpful, a la Nature scavenger hunts or something.

But then I realized that with our vague, unspecific and nonsensical bug reports, blindly exploring the world until you find it by magic is probably a very appropriate metaphor for what Iosai does.
    Speak for yourself. I tend to give quite useful bug reports... even if I do say so myself.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Xenthos said:
    Once the resetting thing was put in, this has become much less tedious.  There is indeed an "in area" message (it just appears to have the same wording as the "25 rooms away" message).

You just need to:
    1) Try it 1x on each of the 4 mountain ranges.
    2) Try it 1x on each of the 4 roads.
    3) Try it 1x in each of the bigger Prime areas (eg Moors, Spectre, Skarch, etc).
    4) If you don't find it in any of the usual suspect ranges, then go to Ethereal and shake the rod.  This will reset it.  Once reset, go back to #1.
    5) If you do find it, squish it and go back to #1!

I'll usually check Skarch, Zoaka, roads, Inner Sea, Balach, Shallach, Despair, Snow Valley, Grey Moors, Tar Pits, Hifarae, Verasavir. I guess I should add the UV to that. Anywhere else?

Also, any clue on how long this will last?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Personally, my routine was: Check havens. If I didn't get anything, fingerblade out, go to ethereal, shake the rod, ascend, try again. Didn't take too long to get a reaction in the havens by doing that.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited November 2013
    Iosai said:
    There is an in-area message; it's the same as the message shown when the target location is 15<=x<25 rooms away. It is: The pull of the aether barely registers within you.
    Hmmm...I know for sure in places like the mountain ranges, I'd stay within the same 'area'/'range' and I'd occasionally get the message that you get when there's nothing nearby then take two more steps and start to feel the weak message. It's what made me have to check every quarter point I travelled...But come to think of it, there was also one instance where I jumped from the really weak message to the really close one within like 2-3 steps. But it's not easy to bug things when they happen once!
  • What's the syntax for the rod? I've seen shake mentioned, that resets it I think? But what else do you do with it? I'd have guessed holding it or pointing it but that's not it :(
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • You need to USE the rod.
  • ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    Rialorm said:
    What's the syntax for the rod? I've seen shake mentioned, that resets it I think? But what else do you do with it? I'd have guessed holding it or pointing it but that's not it :(
    USE ROD to use it.

SHAKE ROD when you're off-prime, such as on elemental or ethereal plane, to reset it.