What the..?! - Returning to the Game ft. Questions

Who am I? What am I doing here?

Oh right. It's the second coming of that one guy that wrote some Divine Homoerotica! So, about returning into the "word intensive heroine", I was wondering if anyone could fill me up with some queries I have:

1) What's a good race for a Warrior of the Hallifaxian kind?

2) Should I stay a Blademaster or should I follow my gut of looking cool as a Time Knight
™ with an Oversized Katana™? (i.e. Is Pureblade worth me spending lessons)

3) How bad really does Hallifax has it right now?

4) Should I be an ass and jump bandwagon to the popular city of *shudder* New Celest?

5) What the hell is a LiquidRift? Is it as cool as I think it is?

6) Around how much money does it take to get all vialed up, armored up and sworded up?

7) Is playing nexus with that autocure-thing worth it?

8) Arix sucks. That's not a question, just a statement.

Looking forward for some answers.

Comments

• Eventru said:
    Yes, LiquidRift is pretty cool. No, you should never jump ship to a city just because it's popular, in my opinion. Unless you like jumping ships to popular cities, then hippity hop. Hallifax is cool. Why wouldn't it be, higher altitudes always seem to tend to be colder.
    I guessed as much. I really fell in love with Hallifax and the whole "We love UW Control" attitude but for what I gathered from yesterday, the place is not as active as it was.

Mind you, it wasn't as innactive as the Glomdoring Shayle Reign of T-. But you get my point

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I filled out a lot of forms, waited in a bunch of queues, resubmitted forms, and tangled in miles of redtape to learn I don't have the correct security clearance to determine the answer to that. I'd say Hallifax is business as usual.

• 1] Lucidian is pretty reasonable for Sents.
    2] Blademaster is probably better, but Pureblade is also doable.
    3] Hallifax is in 4th place right now militarily and 2nd place culturally. They are at war with Gaudiguch, but that's it. There are lots worse places to be.
    4] Ra ra Celest is awesome.
    5] Liquidrift is like a herb rift, except for potions. You can outrift your potions into vials or attach a teardrop sigil that will auto-refill your vials for you.
    6] 15000 or so for vials, teardrops and 150 sips of every potion. Another 20000 for weapons and 30000 for armour and helm. 500 for Sentinel coat uniform.
    7] You won't be able to do combat with it, but you can totally hunt that way.
    8] No comment here.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Hallifax has been struggling with a low population for a bit, but that's never going to get better if people don't decide to play there! We might be small, but we have some great people (and two very cool Divine!) The Sentinels have been seeing more activity lately than they have in a while, so now would probably be a fine time to join in. Yay Sentinels! Love those guys. I don't know much about warrior specifics though so I'll leave those questions for someone in the know.

Yuck, Celest is lame! Assimilate! /forumrp

LiquidRift is awesome. Vials don't last nearly as long as they used to, but you'd only be replacing a handful of them, as opposed to 100+. Or you can be a cool kid with four or five artifact vials and never have to worry about vial maintenance again. No clue about the effectiveness of autocuring + Nexus. 
  • Lavinya said:
    I filled out a lot of forms, waited in a bunch of queues, resubmitted forms, and tangled in miles of redtape to learn I don't have the correct security clearance to determine the answer to that. I'd say Hallifax is business as usual.
    Huh. Did you get the papers signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters?

• Phoebus said:

LiquidRift is awesome. Vials don't last nearly as long as they used to, but you'd only be replacing a handful of them, as opposed to 100+. Or you can be a cool kid with four or five artifact vials and never have to worry about vial maintenance again. No clue about the effectiveness of autocuring + Nexus.
    Iytha said:
    5] Liquidrift is like a herb rift, except for potions. You can outrift your potions into vials or attach a teardrop sigil that will auto-refill your vials for you.
    6] 15000 or so for vials, teardrops and 150 sips of every potion. Another 20000 for weapons and 30000 for armour and helm. 500 for Sentinel coat uniform.

Wow. So that's a lot of money. Do you really need more than 3 Artifact Vials? They hold 5 potions each and there's only 15 curatives in the game.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Well, I have stuff besides just curatives in mine, too (poisons, teas...) Technically you don't need any, I just really like never having to worry about screwing around with vials and sigils and whatnot. For supply costs, people will probably help you out with that so it won't come out to quite that much. Or at least I usually try to help people in Hallifax out if I know they're trying to get their supplies, I guess I can't really speak for anyone else. 
  • If you already have 3 artifact vials, you're good to go. I was assuming that everything you had potion-wise decayed.
  • I only have 1 artifact vial. But they seem so useful now I could get them eventually.

And regardings the bling bling, I guess I could extort ask Doman nicely. Don't know if he's still regular but I saw him yesterday for a long while

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    1) For combat, aslaran is pretty much the go-to warrior race, but like every other class, if you're not a complete min/maxer, several others are fine. I was adamantine lucidian for ages and did alright.

2) I'd say Pureblade for better synergy with aeonics, since assaulting for the slit is much easier and more reliable than a 1-hander's hack down. Though as pureblade, you generally don't need much else anyway, so while getting an aeon lock is obviously great, getting the standard cleanse/green lock usually does the job. Blademaster does have a report in at the moment to swap Pinleg/Tendon wounding, so might be worth seeing how that plays out before contemplating a switch.

3) Hallifax probably has the lowest population right now, and so is often quiet, but the only context in which I'd say that 'Hallifax has it bad' is that it has lost quite a few of its regular combatants. Conflict for us pretty much died out when we left the alliance with Mag/Seren, and it got pretty boring for people who liked fighting. The prolonged duration of our detente not being all that helpful for keeping those people around. But we're rarely raided, have great divine, do well in culture, have great rp'ers, and usually make good showings in villages/aetherflares. So a few more people interested in combat who could help turn those 'good showings' into a win once in a while would be great. Being part of a chatter clan can alleviate the 'too quiet' aspect too.

4) I'd say Celest doesn't need more people whereas Hallifax does. But it's up to you on where you'll enjoy playing.

5) Liquidrift is great, yup.

6) Lack of immediate conflict means no major urgency on getting fully re-equipped all at once. Sentinels also have a smelter on their aethership to help with reducing the gold cost of weapons/armour. Poke myself or Adracunin if you need something in the mean time.

7) Not sure about Nexus, but there's a free 'Firstaid' based system (Medic!) out there written for Mudlet (also free), that's definitely sufficient for hunting and intro combat. Not sure if link to it made it to new forums, but it's listed in a clhelp, so poke in game and I can provide.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    You will need more than 15 vials, I use 18. You will have to have a vial or keg for your poisons, and add in things like teas, beers and waters, and you'll end up using more. I wouldn't suggest buying another artifact vial for those extra ones, its not to hard to juggle three normal vials.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • edited November 2012

Liquid rifts makes managing potions about 10 billion times easier, give or take a billion. I went from like 30 to 50 vials to like 10.

Artie vials are way more helpful than they were but are hardly a requirement. If you want to jump into combat pipe runes might actually be a better bang for your buck.

Start out slowly and see how things go. Then invest into what you enjoy doing and how you find yourself spending most of your time.

Check in with guild mates and ask LOTS and LOTS of questions. And then ask a few more just for good measure. It's easy to get overwhelmed or to miss something important.

Just be nice and pople will trip overthemselves to help you.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

1) Aslaran. If you have any interset in being top tier, your options are Aslaran anything or Krokani BC Ebonguard or Serenguard. Since you aren't in a commune....Aslaran or bust. You'll be out performed by Aslaran warriors by a fair margin if you go with lucidian or anything of the sort.

2) BM is great for groups, okay for 1v1. Pureblade is great for 1v1, good for groups. If you want to do something that doesn't involve falling asleep on your pinleg alias, go PB.

3) RP wise I have no idea. Mechanically, they have amazing skills with few (or zero) fighters that use them well. Politically, they are the least important org in the game by a fair margin. They don't really bring anything. No military to speak of, no villages, no domoths, no bubbles, nothing. They haven't had any real success on that front in a pretty significant amount of time.

4)I don't generally adhere to the belief that you have to be in the winning org to enjoy the game, so that's up to you.

5) It's great! Get three artie vials and a fesix bandolier and you're set for life. It's what I did, and it's not all that expensive.

6) That's extremely difficult to estimate. I'm sure Ushaara or someone can help you out with starter gear for cheapre than the 50k Iytha suggested.

7) It'll be fine for bashing, with the exception of a few areas that like to afflict like Scorpio and Catacombs. You'll be pk food though.

8) He has a lovely fruit hat.

• Since when is every warrior an Aslaran?

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    A lot of them wear racehats so they won't look like it, but guaranteed, most warriors are aslaran.

• So, not even the Pureblade Orclach is worth it?

• edited November 2012
    The warrior races (orclach, krokani, igasho, tae'dae, dwarf) are all decent with their native weapon specializations except for igasho and tae'dae. Aslaran is the "safe option" for any specialization, but if you're not a demigod yet, I'd say go human (to get demigod faster) or orclach (for good strength and tankiness). Aslarans really need the extra strength of titan/demigod/expand to get the good wounding with their speed. This is assuming you want to PK, anyway.

I also prefer krokani over aslaran for bonecrusher, but hey.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Krokani with nightkiss and arties is fun. Just to see how high you can get the stats and wounding bonus.

....then you die to toad because you had to clot and focus at the same time.

• edited November 2012
    The mana isn't that bad!

... if you slavishly upkeep tosha, throne, god mob blessings, divine spirit, etc.
  • Wear do tae'dae mostly live?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ackleberry and Tolborolla.

Welcome to the forums! Don't be afraid to start new threads in the Q&A section, either; we are happy to help!

Most of us, at least.
  • edited January 2013
    Well, Ackleberry isn't in game right now.  

Aren't they also living in Rickenfriez?

And of course, the kids in Estelbar.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    There's been a lot of tae'dae players in Seren lately, they seem suddenly popular. For npcs, there are tae'dae all over Tolborolla, some polar tae'dae in Ackleberry, and the cavaliers are in their camp under the Great Pass, though they are usually time-frozen and won't really talk to you. The tae'dae homeland is actually Ackleberry, but as Tully said, it's not in-game yet (and I don't think we'll see it unless we suddenly get a looot more players in order justify having 5 more guilds).

• Rikenfriez is also a tae'dae homeland, for those elusive white tae'dae!
  • edited January 2013
    Could we have blue, pink, green, red and purple Tae'dae?
    Also, could we invent a tradition of Tae'dae bboying?
    Cuz breakdancing bears is awesome!
    More seriously, how tall are most Tae'dae?
  • Tae'dae average 7.5 feet.
  • Puriel said:

Could we have blue, pink, green, red and purple Tae'dae?

Also, could we invent a tradition of Tae'dae bboying?
    Cuz breakdancing bears is awesome!
    More seriously, how tall are most Tae'dae?
    Bears are awesome, not is awesome.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You are bear-obsessed.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    My Bear! <3