1 vs 1 Combat

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    'Want' might be a strong word. Parua is right, it behooves players in most situations to either bring the fight as hard as possible, which involves bringing as many friends as possible... or to not fight at all. If you're in org territory, expect the first option. If you're anywhere else, what would the point of engaging be? To 'kill' you for 30 seconds? To try and stop you doing a conflict quest (practically impossible)? 
  • Again, it all comes down to personality and how much you enjoy the combat aspect of the game.

If I'm raiding by myself, then you bringing 15 people to defend isn't necessary, but unavoidable. If I bring 4 people with me, you bringing 27 is still overkill, but unavoidable.

Whereas numerous times I've defended by myself against 1-3 people. Somtimes due to lack of other options, but mostly due to the fact that I wanted to kill them, not make them run away. It's all about enjoyment, not how fast you can make them get out so you can go back to sitting afk at your nexus.

I can't change the way you think about lusternian combat, which is why this problem will never be resolved.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    On the other hand, if there were mechanics in place that helped lessen the impact of group ganking, or provided some reason for people to participate in small teams/groups instead of zerging together, I'd be all for it.
  • I had to agree with Lerad's post there, despite what was previous stated for the mere fact of the existence of that final sentence. It's another very valid point raised and sure, not everybody plays for the same reasons.
  • Caerlyr said:
    I had to agree with Lerad's post there, despite what was previous stated for the mere fact of the existence of that final sentence. It's another very valid point raised and sure, not everybody plays for the same reasons.

So, you made a thread complaining about the lack of single combat.. and in the end you changed your mind and ended up agreeing that it should only exist in the arena? Thus making this thread pointless?

• Iasmos said:

Final sentence, not the whole paragraph.

It says he agrees with the entire post because of the final sentence. Not just the final sentence. And even if he agrees with the final sentence and just the final sentence he's still changed his mind from what was previously stated, which doesn't disprove my earlier statement. Read the entire thread. Thanks.

• edited December 2013

"Actual conflict in the game is built around org identity, and that's the way it should be. I have no interest in a game where people are supposed to count heads and take attendance or draw lots before they can participate in conflict."

The above statement is a mindset which sparks what some people like to call 'griefing'. If I bring 20 some odd people to Celestia and start tainting it up and you die 20 some odd times defending? People start crying "Help me, Estarra!" and make 'How to stop griefing' forum threads. All the while waving the 'Get some OOC moral standards' banner and telling people they should back off in the interest of everyone's enjoyment of the game. Telling me I should take into consideration how many people there are to defend and actually give them a chance. Telling me that I -should- count heads and draw lots.

But the moment it's not convenient for them, they change their minds and we switch back to the 'everyone pile in' mindset until someone else feels personally offended. It's either one or the other. You either view this as a game and take people's feelings into consideration or you don't and you stick to your generic "This is my rp, back off" line. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

I will state my original point once more and be done. There will not be an increase in single combat, this is not because Twist is OP or because most people spam Inquisition. It's because why would I jump you by myself, when I can get blah1, blah2, blah3 and even tack on a blah4 to ensure that you're going to die. This is the mindset everyone has and it's not going to change unless there is a mechanic put into place to discourage it. This thread is pointless.

• - Kill an org or two, less orgs means more focus.  Orgs exploding also perks interest.

This! So very much this.
  • Let's explode Glom and nerf Malarious. He'll thank us later.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Riiiight after the way Inquisition is set up is nerfed, or at least what it does.
  • That's no more overpowered than your staffcast or my starchord, heh.

Truth is, in groups, things like this -are- going to be silly when stacked with other such things as aeon and stun.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited December 2013
    Except not all of them are, see how Crucify/Sacrifice was changed, right down to being unable to stack Deathmarks, or how only one Shadowdancer can twist your shadow.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• There are instances where the same holds true right across the board. We can't nerf everything at once. Like I say, it's no worse than other cheese. How about we start off by nerfing destruction chains? :p
  • Personally, I'd be happy to see outlier damage go altogether. While previous concerns are valid (Inqui) - How is it any worse than enter room, aeon, destro, staffcast, destro, dead?
    Honestly, extend it from there, mass spam of health or mana damage attacks should go the same way spam hackdown did, and have a diminishing returns effect.

It's entirely too easy to remove someone from the fight within seconds just by all piling on and entering a simple alias.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Stop using it :p

It's annoying as hell and there -are- other methods.

You know, I can honestly say that I have not used my super silly OP damage stack in actual combat -at all- at this stage.

I think Mal hit the nail right on the head when he said about change needing to come mostly from players.
    I'll stop using it when people stop going for spam aeon, spam mana drain, spam stun...

Spam judge, spam inqui, spam run, oh man we could make this go on forever.

Do what it takes to win is the motto of D'cente` 
  • Lusternia is obviously just too overpowered.

We clearly need to just nerf combat altogether, heh.

/joins the outlier damage train.
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I'm not getting into this. Delete this.
  • I got you nerfed for abusing that. This amuses me.
    edited December 2013
  • Eh? It was -completely- unavoidable, heh.
  • Counts as abuse in my book when it's being used on an hourly basis.
    edited December 2013
  • You're making me sad, Munsy. I thought you loved me? :(
    edited December 2013
  • I've issued you twice. Both times for abusing mechanics. *shrug*
This discussion has been closed.