When I was a newbie...

CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
edited February 2014 in Common Grounds

CRAP. I didn't mean to put this in combat logs. Can an admin move it to Common Grounds. Thanks.

With the snow storm hitting the east coast and DC declaring it a snow emergency (or as I call it...Snowmergency), I am bored and will be stuck at home, safe from all the migrating polar bears so I thought I'd start another fun thread like the last.

WHEN I WAS A NEWBIE...

My first character ever was a merian aquamancer. I hunted Spectre Isle because that's the only place I could find after the Tidal Flats. @Malarious tried to grief me and then declared me an enemy of Magnagora. He and this Mag named Sybl tried to gank me, Sybl gave me a lacerated leg and since I was brand new, I had no idea how to cure it. I just kept running and falling down. Eventually I hid in the inner sea and melded, and waited for the passive aqua demesne effect that cures random affs to fix me.

I wanted a turtle so badly that I spent all my lessons in aquamancy just to get it. I was then so excited I could hunt on the water plane without swimming. I guess I hadn't figured out waterwalking yet.

My first pk experience was some newbie Nihilist I ran in to on the road outside of Serenwilde. He just started attacking me. All I did was spam hailstorm. I thought it was a damage over time skill like hailstorm in Achaea. I didn't even have him enemied so it was doing literally nothing. The only reason he ran away is because it attacked my turtle and my turtle hit him back.

My first time playing a bard, I had no idea what any of the skills actually did. I thought perfectfifth was like lust based on the wording of the AB. There was a fight with Xavius where all I did was spam pfifth and getting annoyed because his demesne kept hitting me.

I had just started PKing and gut suckered into being the demesne holder when the Undervault was released. Narsrim convinced me to turn PK CAREFUL OFF. So I did. Someone choked the room. We sat outside the illithoid prison seal in my choked geo demesne and I proceeded to collect upwards of 15 avenger statuses on all the poor schmucks who walked into it. I also ran out of mana while sitting in choke, but I was anorexic and impatient...so I couldn't sip mana or focus mind to cure anorexia. Took me like 15 minutes to figure out how to cure it manually.

My first ever wargames as a geo mugwump. I didn't really know what a wargames was, so I just enemied everyone in the arena...including my team. I stood in the middle of the fight and spammed boulderblast. My team died...and they were upset. On the upside, I still won the wargames. The Mags I were in a clan with were laughing their asses off.

My first ever duel was against Talkan. I was a Nihilist. I didn't know what Inquisition was. I got facerolled.

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    When I was a newbie, I exited to Avechna's Peak, stopped in every single room and read the description. I was really confused by the org terrain, as I thought each one marked part of the city/commune and I couldn't figure out how I was going from Serenwilde to Glomdoring to Magnagora to New Celest so quickly.

Elmund met me in the Serenwilde and became my unofficial "mentor". He taught me how the game worked, helped me buy all my supplies and equipment. At the time, Klia, Kiarlea, and Malicia were the three elected leaders of the Serenguard, and I was intimidated any time I came into their presence. They were so composed, and elegant, and appropriate.

I believe my first death was by drowning in Moon River. I had the same reaction I think a person would in RL--I panicked, couldn't figure out how to swim away, and died. How embarrassing.

I also found out that flying in the mountains with high winds was a terrible, terrible idea, as I came crashing down on my head and suffered a concussion. I managed to not die by going to the Ring of Portals, where another Serenguard newbie happened to be. She cured me up and they became good friends.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    When I was a newbie...I'd never played a MUD before. I was so horribly blind and clueless as to how to do the most basic things (say! I head to learn how to say and emote and look and everything. Xiran, most patient mentor in the WORLD).

I died to a cow once because I'd been told for some reason to renounce innocence and attack it, and because I would try to read everything flying by on the screen, by the time I realised it had hurt me and I should do something about it I was dead. How embarassing.

I made a friend who left Celest for Magnagora and convinced me I should go there too, a day or two after discovering the game. I knew nothing about Lusternia's history, I couldn't even remember how to spell Magnagora for a long time, let alone what it the rp was like there. I had been a moondancer elfen. Suddenly I was being interrogated as to why I wanted to join the Nihilists (it was oocly suggested as the most similar choice), being sneered at for being a disgusting filthy elfen and told I would have to reincarnate (what does that even meeeean?? What's a viscanti??). Destridas was terrifying and it was awesome. I was hooked! Even if it did take me a while to realise why leaving the Seren made Xiran sad.

I had my first taste of PK while following someone around as they did the spectre quest (I was too little to kill them myself) and didn't even realise what had happened until I was well and truly dead. After that I was terrified to step out of the city for a long long time. I was too scared to take a wrong turn and end up in enemy territory or being gored by those terrifyingly vicious cows.

• When I was a newbie I was introduced to MUDs by a friend who played them a lot. That helped with the basic mechanics of it all but it also was very hectic. I kept using goto after I got reflexes and because I was so clueless I would just wonder through the Blasted Lands and I kept dying to gravediggers. I remember a particularly embarrassing time where it happened like three times in a row until someone finally sent a tell and told me what I was doing wrong.

A certain Shadowdancer who is no longer with us took a bit of an interest in me and gave me a reading list a mile long. It was intense. I learned so much, so fast, and I spent so much time reading it was ridiculous. I loved it, though. That right there is why I stayed. That introduction to the lore of Lusternia led me to purchase credits, remain as active as certain times in my life let me, and work for advancement.
  • When I was a newbie (not Ria) I did not get enemy and planes. I thought UV was open PK and did not dare to go in there. On the flip side, I didn't know about survey and enemy territory and got killed several times hunting merians. 

(I wish I could remember more of these, I absolutely love this thread)
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    When I was a newbie I got lost on the way from the Moonhart to the Moondance Tower (or maybe the other way round) and this frustrated me so much that I logged off. It was not the most auspicious start - and I wasn't even new to MUDs!
  • My first newbie was a lucidian aquamancer (I'm starting to see a trend here with first characters and Aquas), but I'm pretty sure he never made it out to the Path of Solitude.

My first real attempt was a trill Harbinger, but again, once I specced into Shadowbeat and realized I had to compose a song that didn't make me look like a tool (very difficult), I let him get purged. This was when Pruxi and his husband were in charge of the guild, I can't quite remember his name. I remember bashing so hard because I was so excited to become a Nightwraith or something but I needed a certain amount of mana. Also, because I was planning on essentially being Crow's Avatar, being trill and all. Brennan creeped me out. Dead spiders kept falling out of the Master Ravenwood and for the life of me I couldn't tell why. It also occurred to me, after the fact, that I'd gotten my mandolin fashioned after one of the generic, boring Public designs instead of getting a doom and gloom one like everyone else had, which made me quite unhappy.

• When I was a newbie, Krellan was in Serenwilde, and he was my (is) my mentor. He's still my mentor, because whenever he wakes up, I ask him how I use the hoods on a set of robes.

When I was a newbie, you couldn't change languages in bookbinding. Changing races also messed it up sooort of badly. I was an aslaran that didn't know aslari.

I was born a lucidian, then went aslaran, then back to lucidian.

When I was a newbie, designs were in the 2000's, not the 20000s. Also, the first way I learned a design was accepted was when someone heard it talking to them on astral.

When I was a newbie, there was that ooc costume contest. That was awesome.

I was going to say something about pvp, but I didn't pvp even as a newbie, soooo...

That's what I remember from being a newbie. Well, also the snowball fight with Tully and Isune, and falling asleep, and getting painted blue by Isune.
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• edited February 2014

• When I was a newbie, I was  immediately drawn to Glomdoring, and made a furrikin Shadowdancer.

I don't remember who the leaders were at the time, but that's because Shayle was head of novices at that time, and had a much bigger impact on me than almost anybody else.

I leveled to 50 in Glomdoring, having been killed by rockeaters the only time I tried to travel outside. After that, I never left the forest. I remember being raided by Gregori, Munsia, Narsrim, etc., and being encouraged to go up and defend. I would spam vines, die, pray, then rez and do it all over again. I felt part of a community, and it was -so- awesome.

I chose alchemy as my trade, and remember selling individual vial refills to people, because I don't think artisanry or kegs were a thing yet..

The second time I made a character, it was a faeling Blacktalon, and I finally started to get involved in the actual game. Not long after I started her, there was the event with the false gods, and the nightmares dropping into Glomdoring, and that was just -so awesome-

A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    When I was a newbie I killed Weevils for a few minutes to buy credits at 500 gold.
  • @Lavinya: Aww. <3 Always cheered me up to see Lavinya online, even if Xiran didn't say it.

My first character was an Aquamancer. She tried to teach another newbie when others were busy and ran into the problem, "You have to know more than your student to teach a skill!". I was pretty embarrassed and didn't try to help again for a long while.

Someone tried to help her set up curing in Nexus (this was years before Mudlet) and even got her an expensive set of robes. Unfortunately I stopped playing for a while and never managed to pay them back.

She also tried to be scholarly and write an essay on why Roberto's so ginormous. This is how she ended up with a scroll from Soll (who went on to become Ayridion). She never turned the essay in.
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• Aw, man. 500g credits. Those were the days.

When I was a newbie, I remember Moondancer's guildhall not having the doors shut, so anyone who wanted to could go in. Then people raided so we got it changed. Also, like Iasmos my first kill was Visaeris. He raided, and the Serenwilde did its classic Zerg formation. Except I wasn't following anyone, so when  I got the last hit on him, I got something like five levels from it :D
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
    This is so weird. I got into pvp because of Visaeris raided....my first kill was Daevos I think though. Gained like 2 levels off it. 

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I don't think you can tell a beta story without Visaeris somehow being involved most of the time.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Hey @Hiriako - remember how MDs were overpowered because of all the things Fae did? :D
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • This thread needs this image. That is all.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• When I was a newbie, phantoms + staff killed about 90% of the playerbase. And contagion. And hailstorm hit EVERYONE and it was GLORIOUS
  • WHEN IIIII WAS A YOUNG JACK FLAAAAAAGGGGG

Yeah, I remember 500 gold credits. I also remember the free credits everyone got when open beta ended, along with a sweet little "thanks for sticking with us!" message. (This was before bound credits and I had about ten alts, so I managed my first trans skill by sending all those delicious credz to Jack.) And pre-nerf hailstorm/boulderblast; during the Tainted Fae event, Geomancers were killing ten or fifteen people at once on Faethorn. How I envied them their free levels.

On a more personal level, I remember being highly confused after making Jack, since Lusternia was my first MUD. Thankfully, there were plenty of cool people in early Magnagora like Nepthysia (my first mentor), Arilyon and Chade, who were willing to help out little ol' teenage me. I stuck with Magnagora partly because of how cool everyone seemed, and partly because we had the most badass fighters. Visaeris had just jumped ship to try and revive Glomdoring, and Narsrim's mission to spy on Serenwilde had converted him into a real tree-hugger, but we still had Daevos, Valek, Kaervas, Silvanus, Morslade, Brona and a host of other cool-looking undead fellas leading the way.

I also remember my first real friendship on Lusternia - with Guido, one of the original Disciples of Crow. Our characters had similar goals, which was neat, but we were also the same age RL and had the same dumbass sense of humour, which was better. We ended up bloodbonding and having all sorts of crazy shenanigans. Even when he got sick of being the resident pariah and whipping boy of the basin, and suicided Guido, his new character (Kahazul) ended up bloodbonded to my new alt, Kymir, and we continued the mayhem! Good times. Still got that dude on Facebook, actually.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    When I was a newbie I was taking a break from a leadership position in Achaea that was stressing me out. I needed a change of pace and I wanted to play as a dog man so I rolled a little loboshigaru Celestine. I planned on keeping track of every important interaction and event so I could have a really cohesive character development. But that was about as much work as the thing I was taking a break from and didn't last long. Some things I remember because I wrote them down:

~ Making pledges to the Supernals in Loboshigaru because Common was difficult for my guy
    ~ Being really broken up about not figuring out the matchmaker quest
    ~ Terentia appearing to say she knew Loboshi and could see her spark in my character :x
    ~ Getting invited to a manse with a heart-shaped bed and wondering if I was about to be mudlested

That character was about the right age to be best buds with Gadritan if they'd ever met, which would have changed the course of my relationship with Lusternia and Achaea, I'm sure.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Gadritan and supernals only remind me of one thing and it's NSFW -.-
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Plot twist: Zvoltz is Dysolis

(Please don't zap me)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Kethaera said:
    The very first newbie(about 6.5 years ago?) I created started off in Celest, and I think was an aquamancer merian. I didn't understand anything about the game or the roleplay, and ended up accidentally taking the portals to Magnagora and talking with a bunch of people who kept calling me a fish and threatening to eat me... but it was interesting. I started using changeself to look like a viscanti(based on the people I'd seen in Magnagora), and couldn't figure out why everyone in Celest was so upset about it, or offering to kill me to reincarnate, and getting angry when I explained it was just the skill.

I ended up switching to Magnagora and the nihilists(they seemed nicer, in spite of the threats) and reincarnating to viscanti. Most of what I remember after that was wandering around to various places and getting asked questions I didn't understand or know how to answer- "Are you here to kill the tidal lords?" "Are you influencing the villagers?"... and bashing my way up to level 70 or so solely on Spectre Isle.

I was still very much a newbie when I created Kethaera, and hadn't bothered to read any of the help files about Glomdoring... so I was exploring Faethorn for the first time as part of the planar quest when @Xeria appeared(I assumed to kill me) and started asking questions and saying things that I tried very hard to pretend I understood... like what a 'wyrdling' was or why she kept calling me it.(I read the help files/scrolls afterwards). A bit later I attempted to explore Serenwilde, got lost and confused about whether I was in the northern or southern part(despite using TWO maps), and had to ask @Aramel for directions when she came to chase me out. Oops.

Ah, memories.
    Are you the one I gave a black and white woolen hat to? 
    is dead like the dodo