Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

I have recently managed to snatch up this pearl from GoG. It's a wonderfully awesome game, and I'm having a great deal of fun playing it. So I was wondering who else might enjoy this game. I've been thinking about the potential for even using the faction editor to make the Lusternian nations into factions of the game.That'd be a lot of fun to play with others.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comments

• Ah... SMAC. It's been ages since I last played it. I wonder if I can even find it anymore (and if I can, if it'll even install; I know there was some issue way back when which made it not work on newer OS's).

I wish they'd make a SMAC2 though. Would be awesome to see what they'd do with that, considering the gem that is SMAC.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    It's on GOG.com, usually slightly modded to work on PCs or Macs (I can't say anything about Windows 8 or whatever they are on now).

Along with some other gems like Dungeon Keeper, Rollercoaster Tycoon, SimCity usually for less than $5 and you don't need to download a third party program like Steam to run them.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    What's the 15-second pitch for the initiated lout like me?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Civilization... in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace! Essentially, think Civ... 3? With terraforming, and underwater cities and...space cities? It's been a while... Now I want to go install a copy!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    For six bucks, I'm tempted!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • That will also get you the expansion pack. Though the base game itself is *more* than worth it. It's a truly excellent game.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ok I adore Civ (Civ3 was my favourite too) so I think I might just have to go check this out now...

• edited March 2014

You are the children of a dead planet, earthdeirdre, and this death we do not comprehend. We shall take you in, but may we ask this question--will we too catch the planetdeath disease?

Lady Deirdre Skye 
    "Conversations with Planet"

The book's name is not metaphorical.

• Man, y'all make me want to put down the money to buy the game and play it again :(
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I want to play this. :-O
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Yes. Yes you do. Have a faction introduction.

I've gotten SMAC and SMAX to work just fine on a windows 8. Unsure about 8.x, but I can't see them changing the internal structure that much, so it should be possible. Even gotten the faction editor though work, though I haven't played with any self-made factions yet.

For Lusternia, I've made Celest.

Holy Celestine Empire.

Ruled by: God Emperor
    Faction noun: Holy Empire
    Values: Fundamentalism
    Emphasis: Morale
    Resists: Green

Faction Bonus:
    +1 Probe
    +1 Growth
    -2 Efficiency (Heavy emphasis on expansion, growth and control leads to a large but inefficient empire)

Start with tech. Doctrine: Mobility
    Immune to the penalty of Fundamentalism
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Kiradawea said:
    Ruled by: God Emperor
    But his friends call him "Leto."

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited March 2014
    It looks really nice. And given that it is based on (or heavily influenced by) Civ, I could even write it off as 'research' *cough*, since Civ in turn seems to be based on Paul M. Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict from 1500 to 2000 (according to a paper I am reading atm).
  • Sid Meier is the person behind the Civ series (although it's not the only ones he's involved with), so it's very similar to those games, yes.
  • edited March 2014
    I loved how in this game you could model your society and economics and then the planet reacted to your policy and actions.