What's in a Name?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    No fancy meanings, only a weird fascination with roman vowels. I liked the use of the æ vowel and wanted to make a name around it, eventually ended up with something that looked like a vaguely Roman name in terms of proper masculine ending. 

Took me about seven years to realize it's two letters off from my actual given name... 

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It is? I know I don't really know Latin, but I'm trying to figure that out.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited March 2014
    Everiine said:
    It is? I know I don't really know Latin, but I'm trying to figure that out.
    -o denotes most second declension nouns, which are usually masculine or neuter. Particularly it denotes the singular dative and ablative cases [indirect object and propositional object respectively].

If I wanted to be technical I would have gone with Maellius [which I think I actually did consider] for the nomative, but -o worked better.

Or I could have said it was third declension, whose nomative basically ends in... whatever [sometimes -x]. 

No... I haven't been declining his name now, who said that

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Eliron said:
    Eliron is a Hebrew name meaning "My God is song."

Clearly this is relevant, and I also liked how it rolls smoothly of the tongue with how I pronounce it, "el-ih-ron."
    I was wondering if that's what it was. My name's actually hebrew for "in my heart" - also picked it more for how it sounds than for the meaning.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited March 2014
    As I recall, Pesukaru is a slight misspelling of "raccoon" in one of the Nordic languages.

A lot of names i use have double letters in them, like Llewell or Aania. That doesn't always mean if you see someone with double letters that it's me, mind you. I may or may not be Kelly.

Often, I'll pick an animal or concept/idea I want to base a character around, and then use some sort of online translator to figure out the word in an uncommon language, like Hungarian or something.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My real name means Handsome. My parents were clearly psychics.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Everiine said:

My name means, "he who is like god".

/victory
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    My name means, "he who is like god". /victory
    My name is a brand of coffee...

.oO---~---Oo.

NARF!

Maellio wins :(
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I started out the name with Silvanus on Starcraft(before WC3 Sylvanus). When I started that name, I can't remember where I got the name, SC1 came out when I was 12, it was before Wikipedia or Google(1998), and although Silvanus is mentioned in the Bible, I can guarantee you Starcraft-me had no idea of that. So it had to be from some book(or anything?) that I had read when I was younger, but I have no idea where I got that inspiration, I had just always used it as a go to name in any RP sense.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Lorina is a uniquely French all-natural artisanal soda.

I love French Soda. That's why.

• Alary was first an OC of mine, created for an anime I liked for a little bit to rp with. She was an insane, immortal, alcoholic, self-harming nutjob who ran drug cartels and messed with the NYPD in the worst way. She did what she had to, especially to get what she wanted. Her name is Alary Nacht, she's a crossdresser, so I wanted a nuetral name. Alary is a male german name and it means Elfen. When making an alt for Kuailong to relearn the game, i just rehashed Alary and plastered the personality on the character.

There were other plans in store for her, and now Kuailong is my alt. :D
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Leolamins - same as Leolamin but with an 's' added.  What you do when you are a noob and your character get stuck in village statues and you think suicide means the same as 'heart stop'

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

That means Leolamin is back open as a name, right?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Everiine said:
    Synkarin said:
    So a quick few adaptations so I'm not a tradition breaking bastard, and boom Synkarin
    Unlike SOMEONE...

Morkarion is a character I've used in a couple of other games/RPG scenarios before now, it goes back to my Death Knight in WoW who as a Blood Elf was Mortarion, a slight play on the Primarch of the Death Guard from WH40k, when I race changed him to Orc he became Morkarion, and it stuck since.

Karlach was going on Orclach tradition of -lach suffixes and taking part of the Morkarion name, Morlach sounded kinda crap so I went with the middle syllable.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Kaalak said:
    Turnus said:
    Lavinya said:
    Turnus was the primary potential suitor of Lavinia

Ha, found that very amusing!

Lavinya came from Lavinia, a character in a book I was reading that I liked the sound of. She was actually the name of an Aes Sedai character I roleplayed on Dragonmount (forum based rp) and just yoinked the name over and based the Lusternia character on her namesake.
    Also this: Lavinia, in Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, is the daughter of Titus, and is raped and butchered by the sons of the Gothic queen.[2]

Just saying!
    Apropos of this...if you haven't seen Titus Andronicus performed, I highly recommend the 1999 movie Titus featuring Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange directed by Julie Taymor.  It features the most EVIL character I have ever seen depicted in any media, Aaron the Moor.  And he is fantastic.

Fair warning: the movie is highly symbolic and has HBO style nudity.

I remember seeing the banquet clip in a lecture about Shakespeare. The lecturer was like 'Okay, this is gonna get bloody...those who can't stand it may leave the room.' Of course, nobody left, but some people actually looked slightly shocked. (I couldn't watch all of it, so I rather studied the faces of my classmates). But I agree, it's a pretty interesting adaption of the play.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I liked old names for countries. So I chose Siam.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited March 2014
    <insert Morkarion nonsense about 'orclach tradition' here>
    You're going to get called out for breaking tradition as long as we're both playing Lusternia, hate to say. So

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • When I played achaea, I liked the ideas of runes and the runewardens and such, so I made a name with 'rune' in it. Ended up joining the occultists though :P

Then I game hopped when lusternia opened, and I wasn't feeling creative and just brought the name over, figuring I'd end up making another character anyway.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Whenever I recall your name, @Acrune, I always think of Patrick Star. Because of oldforums.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited March 2014
    Synkarin said:
    *More QQ about someone choosing their own character's name*
    I'm good, thanks. I got the name I wanted to have and it's not going to be changing. Nothing for me to deal with :D

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Morkarion said:

NJ
    Synkarin said:

*More QQ about someone choosing their own character's name*

I'm good, thanks. I got the name I wanted to have and it's not going to be changing. Nothing for me to deal with :D

Nice Strawman as your are prone to say

But two days late and a dollar short

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I was fiddling around with the name generator while trying to decide whether to relearn the game as an ancient char, or relearn it as a new char and Nimrodel popped up (it might have been off by a letter). I was amused, and decided to run with it, hopeing that it would be mild enough of a reference that I'd get away with it. I got smacked to name change, switched to something else, decided I hated the new name, almost suicided, but went back to namegen, and ended up settling happily on Nimhuire.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Nimhuire said:
    I was fiddling around with the name generator while trying to decide whether to relearn the game as an ancient char, or relearn it as a new char and Nimrodel popped up (it might have been off by a letter). I was amused, and decided to run with it, hopeing that it would be mild enough of a reference that I'd get away with it. I got smacked to name change, switched to something else, decided I hated the new name, almost suicided, but went back to namegen, and ended up settling happily on Nimhuire.
    You know, it took me a hot minute to figure out why you'd been smacked to change it. It sounds pretty out loud, with the long O sound.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."