Mysterious Doors Update

124»

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I... think I'm gonna have to take a look at that.

EDIT:

Yup. Shallam has sunk into the sea. All their gods killed except for one, who ended up leaving them.. The undead father of dragons roaming about. Lots of fun thereabout.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Stay loyal and logged in here!  :)

Just think of all the things that can go wrong here!  Think a lot of stuff is gonna go *BOOM*
    [BANNERCODE]
  • Ah, no plans on swapping over. But I might end up observing a bit. But... I can hardly see Esty destroying any of our cities. There's too much lore, too much flavour, too much... everything! Every city is important in the grand scheme of things!
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Kiradawea said:
    Every city is important in the grand scheme of things!
    Except Magnagora, it's not that important, especially with a certain diminutive god standing in front.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Neos said:
    Kiradawea said:
    Every city is important in the grand scheme of things!
    Except Magnagora, it's not that important, especially with a certain diminutive god standing in front.

I personally think Magnagora is richer in RP, history and potential than any other city in the game. And this comes from a guy that has a Hallifaxian and doesn't plan to ever move out of it.

• Magnagora has a lot of interesting flavour. You can make any argument you want that being Tainted, it must be eradicated for the good of all, but that doesn't change the fact that their backstory is incredibly flavourful and interesting. But I'll state again that this is true for all the cities. The war of the Scar. The Celestian Imperialism that subjugated the rest of the basin. Gloriana and Raven becoming Glomdoring and Crow. It's all wonderfully awesome and keeps me coming back for more.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Neos just has awesome god envy.  :P

• edited December 2012
    I think all of the cities and communes have pretty fantastic background and lore, and a plethora of roleplay opportunities. When we were building Hallifax/Gaudiguch, I remember once remarking, "I really like Hallifax, but I don't think I could play it long term" - Estarra asked why not, and it had been because of the very cold and logical approach to things. As time has gone by, I realize why she asked that question. While the cold and logical approach overlayed the surface, I don't doubt for a moment I could have managed a very passionate trill who was a strong embracer of 'higher' emotions like love. Really, there's something for everyone in most every city, or at least for every type of player (some people just prefer 'dark' orgs versus 'religious' orgs, though!).

As time has gone by, I think the imperial history strikes me (personally!) as the most poignant. It's rife with success and failure, and is deeply interwoven with the sad reality that it is ultimately about very imperfect people (because that's what all mortals are - they're just 'human') attempting to live up to very beautiful and absolute ideals. Concepts of purity and love are corrupted not by ill-intentioned minds, but by the point of view of those attempting to comprehend them. The Light itself is fairly absolute - it's good, it's beautiful, it's love, it's just, it's perfect. Unfortunately, no one is, and though they try to live up to that standard, they are not always successful. And thus you see debacles like the scorpion cult fiasco, Project Soulforge and Project Cosmic Hope. It's everything they can do to live up to this ideology, but they always have a tendency to fall short due to overreaching, as people are wont to do. Then there are always those who are more 'evolved', ideologically, and have greater perceptions and lead their people into a golden age (broadly speaking).

Of course, the same can be said of any organization that has lived for any length of time. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Those kinds of stories always touch me the most, I suppose. But then, I teared up when I read about Amberle.

Of course, those are always just half the stories. It's those people who come in and right the wrongs and bring about a golden age following a massive err in judgement that make the greatest heroes, to me!

(My, I've wobbled off topics from the doors, haven't I...)