Civilization: Beyond Earth

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Sounds promising.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • From what I can tell, it's going to be essentially Alpha Centauri 2 without the name, because EA owns the name and they're not selling.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • I'm not so sure myself. Yes, there will undoubtedly be similarities, but I also think that Beyond Earth will be as different from Alpha Centauri as Civ 5 is from, say, Civ 2. It's hard to tell right now though, given the rather limited information, but it sure will be interesting to see what'll come of it.

Personally, I'm really curious about the "several layer" aspect. While it named the orbital layer, it never said it'd be the only layer; will there be an underground layer as well, or an air layer, or an atmosphere layer, or even more? The skillweb is also an interesting aspect, and it'll be really interesting to see how they'll pull it off.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    *gives money to Sid*
  • Ssaliss said:
    Personally, I'm really curious about the "several layer" aspect. While it named the orbital layer, it never said it'd be the only layer; will there be an underground layer as well, or an air layer, or an atmosphere layer, or even more?
    They're making the game with ogres. Ogres have layers.

SimCity had layers, too.

• Ssaliss said:
    Yes, there will undoubtedly be similarities, but I also think that Beyond Earth will be as different from Alpha Centauri as Civ 5 is from, say, Civ 2.
    Well, I'd say that's a given, due to the number of years between Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth. Put it this way: this is the closest thing they can do to actually producing AC2. I mean, numerous factions inspired by real-life polities and organizations, leaders with engaging personalities that lend themselves well to particular playstyles, various win conditions revolving around your relationship with the planet (including one where you discover the planet has a hivemind and awaken it)?
    Ileein said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Yes, there will undoubtedly be similarities, but I also think that Beyond Earth will be as different from Alpha Centauri as Civ 5 is from, say, Civ 2.
    Well, I'd say that's a given, due to the number of years between Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth. Put it this way: this is the closest thing they can do to actually producing AC2. I mean, numerous factions inspired by real-life polities and organizations, leaders with engaging personalities that lend themselves well to particular playstyles, various win conditions revolving around your relationship with the planet (including one where you discover the planet has a hivemind and awaken it)?
    You will be assimilated.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Pfft, Purity ftw. Flying fortresses and terraforming, whee.
  • Can't we all just live in harmony?
    Ssaliss said:
    Can't we all just live in harmony?
    We can. As soon as you are assimilated.

• You guys squabble between yourselves. I'm gonna make first contact and organize the first intergalactic cultural exposition.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Kind of only somewhat related, but this game that just came out looks interesting - The Last Federation. Kind of makes me think of if you played a mercenary in Master Of Orion.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.