Experience boost stacking

Comments

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Lot...of work? Man I feel sorry for your alliance -.- 
  • edited May 2014
    Kelly said:
    Wow man, missed my name getting thrown around here. I don't really care for the crying over Astral, because there are so many other good places to bash and many other means of experience-gaining. I feel like collective-you are really just upset over not being able to stand in one room, leeching experience without a care in the world, because it just takes that one person to manage the group by linking and/or standardbearing while everyone else can highfive the keyboard and go get a pizza. Sorry to not be sorry.

All of that said, I don't drain nodes unless it's a greathunt. I'm not spiteful, I could care less. If I was, then I'd rather just jump your hunting group (and the only reason why I ever did that was because I felt that I had to demonstrate that the North still had some backbone and the South shouldn't get a free and easy ride through life). I haven't been bashing Astral in weeks, so you, @Munsia, can kindly find someone else to blame for world hunger.

Similarly on that note, I stopped hosting large-group Astral hunts because it is pretty thankless and a lot of work to manage, further complicated when the group gets jumped because it is fun to hate Kelly (and I like it like that). It is pretty irksome to hear the cries on forums or whatever that I don't invite XYZ-discriminatory groups on hunts, and then hey, Hallifax or certain individuals will go off on aetherhunts or whatever without inviting others, but are still perfectly happy to jump on the Serenwilde/Celest or others' hunts. So I'm going to find my fun and peace of mind elsewhere.
    Couple of things here, hope you don't think I'm hating on you @Kelly since I think you're pretty damn cool <3

Second thing, the thankless part is true. I appreciate it when @Munsia runs links because my linker doesn't quite stand up to hers in terms of survival rates (although I think I fixed that last night - gogo cooldown timers). But large astral bashes are damn tasty for buying ascendant powers when you're newly raised, so I don't mind running them when I can :p
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    First of all, thank you for all prior advice.

Second, please enlighten someone who hasn't really ever done much outside of culture. What does this 'linker' do? Tell the group when to unlink from the node and when to keep linking, or something else?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Just links a safe amount of astralmobs to come in and kill. So if you have a 20 person group, you don't actually link 3 times (because that's 60 mobs in 30 seconds, unsustainable) but links once and then unlinks.

And I always compared draining Astral nodes to killing quest mobs.

The only people that do it, do it just to be a dick.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The ideal linker would be one which keeps you with a consistent number of mobs for your group, unlinking and re-linking as needed.  It can be difficult to get right because there is always a random factor (sometimes a link will produce 1, or on certain spheres, less than one mob per player on the sphere- other times a single link will produce twice the number!).  At the same time, kill rate can fluctuate depending on critical hits, but the more people you have the more that balances out to an average.

You also want to re-link before all of the mobs are dead, because otherwise everyone is just standing around waiting until the creatures are linked and then walk into the room to die.

Basically: You can't unlink too early or you get too few mobs and cannot relink until the cooldown timer resets.  You can't unlink too late because otherwise you will all die.  You can't relink too early or you will all die, and you can't relink too late or there is a lot of downtime where people are going insane and getting no experience.
  • Basically a linker accounts for your group size, and checks on the number of creatures in the room. It links until a certain threshold is reached then unlinks until the number of creatures falls to a more manageable level where it relinks again.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Munsia said:
    Lot...of work? Man I feel sorry for your alliance -.- 
    It must be nice to say these things when you're riding on the back of someone else's code that manages links for you. (I hope and can't wait for Crown to die in the overhaul.) I also tend to standardbear and self-impose putting the team on my back, and there are a bunch of people on our side who won't join a bash unless someone's taking the beating for them. So then the hunt tends to end once people invite too many of their friends and then I die.

But I've never tried doing mass hunts like you folks seem to pull off, I never really thought it was reasonably possible. So sincere kudos to you all on that. But, if you're saying it's easy to manage, you don't get annoyed having to constantly stop to rezz people?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Who stops to rezz? Embrace the almighty lichseed.

:(
    edited May 2014
    As Chade says, he does it without Ceren's code and I reiterate I feel sorry for your alliance if they all require someone to take a beating for them. Your people are weak willed. 

It's also cute that people are still playing the 'Crown' card. It was a system designed exclusively for Magnagorans. Get over your own bitterness for half a minute. Xena has the exact same system, and the difference is, instead of having our friend code something for us on M&M we had it coded for us in Crown. I'm sorry you don't know people who can help you? Chade has it for mudlet, so probably talk to him. There's all of like 6 people in this game right now who are using their very own system (outside of the firstaid systems), so we're talking a very large portion of this game is riding on someone elses coding

The stupid thing is most of you think that Ceren did everything just for him and then handed it out to people. It started that way sure, but a lot of the system was coded for people and he input their suggestions and desires just like EVERY OTHER CODER WHO HAS EVER MADE A SYSTEM FOR OTHER PEOPLE IN LUSTERNIA (Except Maybe M&M...very basic). The difference is, our ideas were listened to and we had a genius working for us. 

As far as dying goes, we have a very strict 'At your own risk' policy. Many of them that conglute know that the gain is worth it if they aren't dying every 5 seconds. You die, you rezz yourself, you come back, you bash. I'm pretty sure we're all use to hard work.

Also as an after thought. We do use a standardbearer, although exceedingly rarely and only when he's around. We do 15+ people with Karlach on Mitrans. 
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Those who die have the choice to get back up. We rarely rezz people. See, the lack of rezz skills in the South builds character. None of this OMG I DIED YOU -MUST- REZZ ME or OMG XXX DIED I MUST REZZ THEM mentality.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• It would be nice if y'all would stop slinging insults at each other. Nobody was complaining about a lack of giant astralbashes. Just noting that they simply don't happen. Nobody is entitled to somebody hosting a bashing party, just like nobody is obligated to hold them.

Now, can we stop fighting and talk to each other like the adults I know we all are?
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    No
  • Siam said:
    Those who die have the choice to get back up. We rarely rezz people. See, the lack of rezz skills in the South builds character. None of this OMG I DIED YOU -MUST- REZZ ME or OMG XXX DIED I MUST REZZ THEM mentality.
    Seeing as this part isn't quite true -- Fleshmound is one of the better rezz skills (after Serenwilde's and Celest's), and Lichseed isn't too bad -- I don't really think the South's 'character' is a result of being handed the short end of the skill stick.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    To be fair, Camberre goes drunk dwarf and tanks too, so we have two standard bearers. We only use them on certain bubbles though (eff bleed spam) so the rest of the time if there's no aegis you are responsible for your own health.

If you die, you die, def up and come back. You make so much absurd xp/essence that the death loss is negligible. If you keep dying because you aren't paying attention then it sucks to be you. Go afk and expect to be dead when you return. Not just from mobs either.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited May 2014

Munsia said:
    As Chade says, he does it without Ceren's code and I reiterate I feel sorry for your alliance if they all require someone to take a beating for them. Your people are weak willed. 

It's also cute that people are still playing the 'Crown' card. It was a system designed exclusively for Magnagorans. Get over your own bitterness for half a minute. Xena has the exact same system, and the difference is, instead of having our friend code something for us on M&M we had it coded for us in Crown. I'm sorry you don't know people who can help you? Chade has it for mudlet, so probably talk to him. There's all of like 6 people in this game right now who are using their very own system (outside of the firstaid systems), so we're talking a very large portion of this game is riding on someone elses coding

The stupid thing is most of you think that Ceren did everything just for him and then handed it out to people. It started that way sure, but a lot of the system was coded for people and he input their suggestions and desires just like EVERY OTHER CODER WHO HAS EVER MADE A SYSTEM FOR OTHER PEOPLE IN LUSTERNIA (Except Maybe M&M...very basic). The difference is, our ideas were listened to and we had a genius working for us. 
    I'm just saying that you should get off the high horse where you're claiming it's easy, when you're using code to automate (and optimize?) the work for you. I'm not bitter about Crown, just saying that you're taking it for granted and applying a skewed perspective. I also like to subtly push the Crown button and see heads start to spin around and emit steam. :D

I guess the rezzing thing is a soft or nicey-nice mentality, but from a Celest/empathetic standpoint, it is kind of messed up to keep on bashing critters when the remains of your comrades are strewn all around your feet!

I will openly admit, and with much respect and no bitterness, that one of the main differences between the North and South alliances is that the collective South is filled with veterans and people who frankly know their shi-. I'm not looking for one of the many discussions on how we, the North, should be teaching our young people and blah blah, I'm just applauding the people who can still push the bounds of the game and discover and execute stuff like ur'Bashes.
  • Why do everyone call them ur'Bashes? That term has never made sense to me.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    We just need a few peeps with the experience and confidence to lead these hunts. If they then debrief the more receptive/tanky people in the group with tips and strategies afterwards, we'll have more and more potential leaders and a nice snowball effect of joy, happiness, and experience gain all around. Everyone who went along with @Talan's astral hunts (which admittedly were not quite as enormous as what you guys are talking about) was so jazzed that I can't imagine she felt it was a thankless job. I only caught one or two, but I wish I'd been more diligent about finding out what makes a big astral group hunt successful.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Lerad said:
    Why do everyone call them ur'Bashes? That term has never made sense to me.
    Because Mag did a lot of them when that name came around and according to Mag everything is better with undeath / Taint. Maybe also something with using Ur'guard as tanks? I know a few of the guard would be involved at least. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    edited May 2014
    Hooray for double posts.
    edited May 2014
    I agree with @Daraius. The hard part for me with basically everything in Lusternia is that there's a ton of unknown unknowns, but we can solve that and then time permitting, we can try to get more of this going for the North.

So, assuming that I know absolutely nothing and have never been on one of these nice gigantic bashes, what do I do to run one?

My understanding so far is that you get a ton of people together, they all go to a node on astral, and they link it to spawn beasties, which they kill. This invites a few questions.

1. Some spheres probably have better mobs for this than others. What ones do we want to aim at?
    2. Does everybody link the node or just one/a few people? (I think this question is probably equivalent to "Do linked things spawn based on the number of people in the area or the number of people linking)
    3. What tools do we need for this? Basic curing type stuff on everyone because it's astral, and a linker, but is there anything else we want to optimize this? Does just the leader need a linker, or does everybody need it? Are there people who hand out/sell any these tools for credits, and do I need to learn to code? If I can get them from someone else, does anyone do ones that are compatible with Medic or should I upgrade to m&m or something else? Skill wise I assume you really want conglute in case of death, but are there any others that you want on either the leader or on everybody?
    4. Do we need a designated tank? I don't have standardbearer and can only tank like two or three beasties anyway, so I'd have to find someone. But it be a lot easier if we could just let the mobs attack whoever (at random until they get attacked, right?) and assume that the odds of someone getting attacked by more than two or three for more than a couple rounds of attacks is low, if that's reasonably survivable.
    5. Are those commandant artifacts worth getting? I'm guessing that the XP one might be in the long run, but that the gold one would basically never pay for itself, but I don't actually know what the gold is like from massed linkings.
    6. How much bashing do we get out of a node before it goes down to motes? This one is mostly curiosity.
    7. Are there any things that I would need to think about for this that I haven't asked about or mentioned here?

Thank you, kind souls who are willing to explain this.
  • 2. Just one person links. The number of mobs spawned is dependent on the number of people on the sphere.
    3. You really just need the linker to be smart (usually, link once, wait for tick, unlink, kill, repeat) and for everyone else to mash the generic bashing attack.
    4. Having a standardbearer/someone who can soak up damage while everyone else hits the mobs is good.
    5. No gold from astral mobs. The others are pretty good, though.

• Also, stop leaving your loyals on Cancer.It's untidy.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • A standardbearer is suicidal in an ur'Bash, unless you're Karlach or ridiculously game the system- and then, only on specific mobs that don't do a ton/any bleeding, like mitrans.

We usually link bulls, lobstrosities, mitrans.

If you don't bring enough crits, you are all going to die. You have to kill them faster than they kill you.

For above, the more people with divinus whips/destro, the more successful your bash will be.

If you die, head back up as soon as possible. Your gains will outweigh your loss every time.
    edited May 2014

You want to go for the Spheres that mobs do physical damage/weaker damage on:

Bulls, Lobstrosities, mitrans, fesixes(requires a mage with barrier or watching for walls because they do give fear)

next, you go for mobs that do some annoying afflictions or high damage

Abhorrences, Goats, Virgins, Obesefessors, Eagles

If you have a bard that can cure afflictions for everyone(passively), Scorpions are the best to kill.

Parasites and Urns are rarely done, I can't tell you the last time I bashed those two spheres.

We've had multiple people linking before, it's really just knowing your group. One link spawns a Link per person on the sphere, with a chance to spawn a 'super' astral mob, one that is significantly stronger than the other ones. It's completely random, no idea how that works, just that it happens.

AMBERMALT - Holy crap I can't understate how important Ambermalt is and how little people think of it. It can provide up to 50 DMP depending on how drunk you are. That's twice as much DMP as I got as a Nihilist, just from being drunk and sipping ambermalt.

If you are being attacked by a mob (and are weaker), stop attacking, fly up, you'll live. It's that easy.

I always give Munsia the Squad leader. The Demigod Power + the Artifact makes a huge difference.

I gained 10 million essence on one node (crackling to motes), but I was running with Autumn/Bloodrage both up. I believe someone said it's 300 links from Crackling to Motes.

Obliviousness saves you somewhat from being lost in the spam.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    edited May 2014
    Also

@Kelly

You are definitely acting bitter. So Munsia called you out on draining Astral nodes, big deal, you don't have to go attack every single person that has ever used a System designed by someone else. I used to cure manually before everything got too fast, not many people can say that same thing.

I can't wait till Vadi decides to never update M&M and watch everyone else fail.
    (I sounded like Kelly there, right?)
    edited May 2014
    Lerad said:
    Why do everyone call them ur'Bashes? That term has never made sense to me.
    Mostly what @Rialorm said. Mag is the home of the group astral bashes. I'm pretty sure they did the most/first group/xp gain astral bashes (outside of events and such) and it was a term that was specifically for Mag really. Other cities never really used it. But as we have other cities connected to us IE: Glomdoring and Gaudiguch, the name will transfer probably and it just becomes known as that.

What Defines an ur'bash? Noone really knows....but I like to think 5 is the minimum to start one and 10+ anymore is a real ur'bash. 

On the topic of it being thankless. I don't relate with this feeling since when I go, I go for the power gain for Mag. What I do find annoying is that the people that utilize our hunts, later go on to act like utter shits for no reason. Alas, the ungrateful will always be there. 
  • For some reason I think that the ur'Guard actually started doing it in groups of 5 or 8 when we had the numbers (and we do a lot) but I might be mistaken. The term loosely filtered from just ur'Guard to Magnagora.

Ur'guard was only very loosely involved. 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Ur'bash was a term Thoros and company came up with back in the days of Jhager. There was a running inside joke where we/they just added "ur" to anything. Ur'mage. Ur'bash. Ur'gank. It came about before the mob scaling change, and I also the cause of the change itself! We are talking like 150+ IC years ago.