Weapons and stats: Why?

Or, more accurately: why do we have weapons with different minimum stats?

Most people just use the one that can be tempered down to the lowest damage to achieve maximum precision.  I would like to see more of the other types used, but with the way things currently stand it's just bardiches, klangaxes, etc.

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Beating a dead horse old boy. From the last time it came up, boils down to too much work to change in the current code than administration feels it's worth.
  • I figured it'd be something like that, but as we're in the middle of an overhaul might this not be the best time to raise it again?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I believe weapon normalisation is a point in the overhaul, at least from the details that came out of the IRE meet last year.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Speaking of the overhaul... Anyone know the status of it? Any rough ETA?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Do tell, Iasmos, where does the disagreement come from?  What I stated is factually accurate, and weapons will not be modified in the current iteration of the game.  In the mythical overhaul that is coming soon perhaps, but I figure by the time that occurs my kiddos are likely going to be old enough for me to be okay with them playing Lusternia.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Weapon stats and armor are getting totally 100% redone in the overhaul, to the point of removing them entirely, I think.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tarkenton said:
    Beating a dead horse old boy. From the last time it came up, boils down to too much work to change in the current code than administration feels it's worth.
    @Iasmos' disagree is flat-out wrong.  That is exactly the problem.  From discussions with Roark, the issue is:
    All weapons have a "template" which is their minimum possible stats.  After that, when you temper / forge them, you are adding a + to that template's base.

If you change the minimum for a class of weapons (such as broadswords), you will change the stats on every broadsword in the game.  This would be a headache / nightmare to do right.

It basically boils down to this: The warrior code is extensive and frustrating, much if it is a port over from other realms, upon which a lot of additional stuff has been thrown.  You can't really play with the warrior stuff without investing an extraordinary number of hours.

Roark was pretty excited about being able to just wipe that stuff out entirely in the overhaul and make it a much smoother, more streamlined system (both weapons and armour).
  • Except, they did change the minimum stats on almost all classes of weapons when they revamped Forging, and for some reason, the speed weapons didn't get the same floor as all the others.