What are you playing?

Comments

• edited October 2015

Rancoura said:
    I'm replaying the original Devil May Cry for the first time in years after buying the HD collection of the first three. Forgot how hard it was.  :-S

Try some of the Dark Souls games! They will make you cry, but are by far the most rewarding gaming experience you will ever have when you finally beat bosses.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I'm about 98% sure i'd break something important, like my computer, before beating Dark Souls. So I have avoided it
  • Celina, play Bloodborne and Dark Souls (one, Prepare to Die edition). The latter is sometimes $5 on steam on a sale. Very different games. Also you need a controller no mouse and keyboard here.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Yes, everybody play Dark Souls! And it's true, even if you're playing it on PC, a controller is an absolute must; it's practically impossible to play with mouse and keyboard, unfortunately. But anyway, it's one of my favorite games, and I think everyone should at least give it a try. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's so worth the victory rush when you finally overcome something you've been stuck on. I think the game falls off a bit after Anor Londo, but it's still a great experience overall.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Oh, I've played Dark Souls 2 a bit before. And beat Bloodborne through to the end of NG+ and loved it, even got fairly good at it. Haven't tried original Dark Souls or Demon Souls yet, they're on my list. DMC isn't nearly as hard as that franchise, but it is its own kind of creature.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Opinions? I've heard that Bloodborne is harder than Dark Souls 2 at least, and since I got pretty decent at the former I feel like DS2 would be a bit of a breeze (for the first playthrough anyway). Anyone feel any different?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Pillars of Eternity is half price. It's very good times.
  • I'm going to recommend you do "not" get Dark souls, Prepare to Die edition on steam. I've no idea how it plays on console, but on PC it's a pain that involves a bad camera, poor and unresponsive controls, terrible hit detection and the idiocy that is not having a savepoint near the bosses. Which is a pity, because the game itself can be fun. Especially if you like exploring levels. It's a bit like a metroidvania, except you never get new abilities that help you proceed further in the game so you can explore pretty much everywhere from the very beginning.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • A lot of the problem with the first Dark Souls (I haven't played Demon Souls which I think is the first of the franchise?) is that absolutely nothing is explained.  How stats work, how weaknesses work, that your path is more or less chosen for you although appearing to be an open world, or basically anything. It's basically die and learn. It does become a legit open world later in the game. Dark Souls 2 is the opposite, starting open and limiting your choices later, so is likely easier to get into because of that and a lot more understanding of how things work.

I can agree with the camera and clunky controls, but once you learn how they work, they start to work to your benefit. It basically becomes a distance/timing thing.

The camera is easily fixed by going into the options and turning off the thing that causes the camera to move itself if an obstacle gets in its way. Everything else I do not agree with. It's hardly "idiocy" to not have a save point right in front of every boss gate. You end up having to actually be skilled at getting through the areas, instead of being lucky or brute forcing your way to the door. You gotta, y'know. As they say. Get good. 

I disliked Dark Souls 2 quite a bit, and found it to be an incredible disappointment. Dumbed down, downright shamefully bad hitbox problems, deliberate lazy reuse of assets, and they completely missed the point with their "we'll just make it hard 'cause that's why we're popular lol" instead of actually focusing on why the difficulty was well-received. I hear it's better with the DLC, but I didn't like it nearly enough to make such an investment.
  • There's nothing about "getting good" when it comes to reaching a boss, and anyone who's worked with game design knows that getting you quickly back to the challenge is an important part of game design. Once I knew where a boss was, there was never a problem getting to the boss. It just took a long time. And the thing is, when getting to a boss is a piece of cake, when it just takes five minutes of running, there's no challenge. Just mindless padding. Dark Souls is really bad about getting you back into the action and the fun aspects of its gameplay.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Finally got Pokemon X, and want people to give my excess Eevee and other bred pokemon to. Poke me on messages if you're interested?

Friend Code: 3969 - 7370 - 6247
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • edited October 2015
    Kiradawea said:
    I'm going to recommend you do "not" get Dark souls, Prepare to Die edition on steam. I've no idea how it plays on console, but on PC it's a pain that involves a bad camera, poor and unresponsive controls, terrible hit detection and the idiocy that is not having a savepoint near the bosses. Which is a pity, because the game itself can be fun. Especially if you like exploring levels. It's a bit like a metroidvania, except you never get new abilities that help you proceed further in the game so you can explore pretty much everywhere from the very beginning.
    Crap I just remembered about this issue.  Thanks for bringing it up. I don't want to recommend broken ports. 

Phoebus said:
    The camera is easily fixed by going into the options and turning off the thing that causes the camera to move itself if an obstacle gets in its way. Everything else I do not agree with. It's hardly "idiocy" to not have a save point right in front of every boss gate. You end up having to actually be skilled at getting through the areas, instead of being lucky or brute forcing your way to the door. You gotta, y'know. As they say. Get good. 

I disliked Dark Souls 2 quite a bit, and found it to be an incredible disappointment. Dumbed down, downright shamefully bad hitbox problems, deliberate lazy reuse of assets, and they completely missed the point with their "we'll just make it hard 'cause that's why we're popular lol" instead of actually focusing on why the difficulty was well-received. I hear it's better with the DLC, but I didn't like it nearly enough to make such an investment.

So @Phoebus you have the DS1 Prepare to Die PC edition and they fixed it?

Your critical analysis about DS2 is shared amoung several Souls fans. For me I enjoyed DS 2 for what it was but you are right about the world design and monster design not being as "tight" as DS1. And every thing else (you noticed the hitboxes being off? JFC girl!). 

Some suggest this is because Hidetaka Miyazaki was the hands on director of Dark Souls then shifted to Bloodborne while a second team wrapped up Dark Souls 2.  Supposedly Dark Souls 3 will have Miyazaki return to the helm of being hands on. 

Also Phoebus I highly recommend you try Crown of the Old Iron king for DS2 despite DS2's flaws. Critics say it is the best of the three and it is really interesting. 

@Rancoura, despite knowing all about the plot, I haven't played Bloodborne at all so I can't compare the two from personal experience :)

Re Demon Souls going from Dark Souls 1 (and especially 2) back to Demon Souls, the system certainly feels "rougher" in terms of an unrefined prototype.  Personally I never got past Flamelurker so I switched to DS 1 at that point.   

However for everyone I do have to recommend the first level of the Tower of Latria. 3-1 I think. That is creepy as shit. Play it at night in the dark. You will have a Pavlovian response to that chime soon enough. 

edited October 2015
    Kaalak said:

So @Phoebus you have the DS1 Prepare to Die PC edition and they fixed it?

The only thing I really think was bad about the port is the awful, terrible mouse/keyboard control scheme, which I avoided by using a controller. They've also moved the online to Steam instead of the blight that was GFWL. The only downside to this is that the fan-made dscfix no longer works, so there's no longer a way to guarantee that you can connect to your friends if you want to summon them (or invade them, if that's what you're into.) I've never had any issues with the game's actual performance, unless you count Blighttown, which was, well...not so good for performance no matter what system you play it on. 
  • Yeah Blighttown is Blighttown. 
  • Kiradawea said:
    There's nothing about "getting good" when it comes to reaching a boss, and anyone who's worked with game design knows that getting you quickly back to the challenge is an important part of game design. Once I knew where a boss was, there was never a problem getting to the boss. It just took a long time. And the thing is, when getting to a boss is a piece of cake, when it just takes five minutes of running, there's no challenge. Just mindless padding. Dark Souls is really bad about getting you back into the action and the fun aspects of its gameplay.
    Mega Man, mayne.
  • Kaalak said:
    I have still not stopped laughing. Well played.
  • edited October 2015
    Personally I imagine this will be @Celina's experience with a Souls Game.  And yes Celina, you should record it. For all the haters. 

The playlist is here: 

Some of the humor is a bit forced in some but the pain/exultation is real. 

Have the next couple. 

• Could only be better if it was actually Steve Harvey playing.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited October 2015
    I know Sylandra has DIVORCE DARAIUS CONFIRM all typed up and her finger's hovering over the enter key because I haven't sent in my paintings yet... But I got sucked back into Fallout: New Vegas when I discovered there's like half a game's worth of content I never even saw when I played it on PS3 the first time.  :o3
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Daraius said:

I know Sylandra has DIVORCE DARAIUS CONFIRM all typed up and her finger's hovering over the enter key because I haven't sent in my paintings yet... But I got sucked back into Fallout: New Vegas when I discovered there's like half a game's worth of content I never even saw when I played it on PS3 the first time.  :o3

(Your e-wife is busy grading the last of her essays so you are safe for now.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Daraius said:
    It's a macro. 
  • Daraius said:
    Aithera's already agreed to accept a different lobo's late submission because of the puppy dog eyes. 
  • Undertale.
    You're gonna have a bad time.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Kalnid said:
    Undertale.
    You're gonna have a bad time.
    I really want to play that game, it looks awesome. Where is the time for it.

I watched the first 5 minutes and was hooked, but it'll have to wait.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
    Fairly Dangerous is a dark but delightful free Ren'Py Visual Novel about a band of fairies who adventure to the human world, where their vacation quickly becomes a horror story full of things such as mousetraps, microwaves, and other terrible fates. As the designer warns, it's not for the squeamish!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Despite having too many other things going on I decided to start playing Undertale.

No regrets this game is amazing.  Also freaking hilarious.

I'm just going to link a 5 minute or so clip of one of the interactions with a character.  It's a few hours into the game but fairly spoilerish.  It's also completely an optional encounter with one of the bosses after you first beat him.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Homeworld. I don't tend to like RTS that much, but this one is amazing, and very well written. It's a true 3D environment, you can control your forces from any direction. And your fleet is static from level to level. The decisions you make in one mission will affect you for the rest of the game.

The remake is superb, if only a graphics update.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Until Dawn is dark twisty fun for PS4. It's a bit like living out a horror movie (Cabin in the Woods meets The Descent?), where your choices are quite literally life and death as you play as eight friends stuck at an abandoned ski lodge. I admittedly wasn't totally sold on the game's ending, but the ride was compelling, fun, and full of jump scares. It's designed for heavy replayability, with character choices influencing the storyline in a branching "butterfly effect" style. I strongly suggest to stay away from spoilers! X_X

Here, have a trailer.

Daraius said: