How to prevent novices from buying massive comms

The following is a system that would prevent abuse of the trade ministry's commodities by novices. Basically the more trusted you are by the city or commune, the more commodities you can purchase. This is to prevent a novice from purchasing 44k grain for instance, or to prevent people from doing what I did in buying and selling to foreign cities and communes.

Foreigners all can purchase up to 20 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 1: 50 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 2: 100 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 3: 300 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 4: 500 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 5: 700 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 6: 1000 commodities a (day | month)
City rank 7: unlimited

Now the trade ministry can sell licenses each year to people who are trusted (citizens or foreigners) to purchase more commodities.

I think this would prevent abuse of buying and selling commodities. Thoughts?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Nice idea, but I don't think it's needed (right now, at least). Most Trade Ministers are cordial enough to share information with each other, including who's been seen buying/selling en masse. We generally just specifically target these suspected people by ramping up selling prices for them to 200%.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • There was a novice yesterday that bought 44k grain from Serenwilde. While yes, Alacardael, most trade ministers would share information, it's not exactly a prevention for future novices|alts|:censored: that would take advantage and buy and sell for money. If a prevention could be placed, then this would prevent future people for getting kicked out of their cities or communes for something someone else was doing

(basically I want to make sure what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else)
  • Only reason I can think of against this is it would screw over trackers a bit. I bought about 3000-4000 assorted commodities at CR1 in one go, all as banked supplies for trap making. If I'd been limited to 50/month, or even 50/day, I would've gotten pretty irritated - and I probably wouldn't have bothered buying a license, because well, the whole reason for me to be buying large amounts was to take advantage of having a lot of gold at the time, it was a one-off.

Could definitely see limiting sales to foreigners and novices, but maybe make it a percentage type deal? Say, the commodities warehouse keeps track of how much of everything there is, and can be given standing orders not to sell more than X% of the banked supply as of the beginning of that day (or even that month) to a foreigner. That way, people who actually have legitimate reasons to buy decent amounts of comms can buy them if the city's amply stocked, but it'd take an organized team to clean out an entire stockpile (an event I think should remain possible, just not easy). Could do similarly for novices, perhaps making it so anybody of CR1 and not yet a full guild member is limited in what they purchase - that limits pretty much everyone who'd not actually have much reason to buy in bulk without significantly harming everyone else. Less of an administrative task and more of an invisible wall that probably won't even be noticed by people who aren't trying to screw you.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My armour and helm set alone is 400 comms...
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • It'll definitely be a problem for trades people. Hard coding a limit is going to either inconvienience a lot of people to guard against the rare abuser, and/or artificially bloat the cost of trades with the liscense requirement.

This is one of those things that depend on player decency, which, unfortunately, is a failed cause. The only thing we can do is make the IC repercussions as harsh as is reasonably allowed to discourage such things from happening.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Perhaps trade ministers should be more vigilant in monitoring their prices? When Sakr did this, I know in Mag at least a large part of the issue was that it went unnoticed for sometime because our trade minister was pretty inactive. If there is little to no benefit in buying from one org and selling to another, there is no issue. Maybe it will keep the ministers on their toes? (It sure made Mag sit up and pay attention and ensure it doesn't happen anymore)

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That train of thought leads to one org totally undercutting the rest though, everyone would have to stoop to the prices (or at least decrease 'buying at' rates) to avoid the problem.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    That's called capitalism.
    edited December 2012
    Except that it's.. not. A market with only six active participants, who aren't private and don't need to maintain profits to survive is not capitalism at all. Not that people thumbing the scale (on the org level) has been a major problem before, but undercutting just hurts everyone in the long run, devaluing services and goods. 

Look at the big Sakr/Someone-else-who-I-can't-remember debacle a few years (?) ago. One or two people undercutting everyone using profits from credit sales. Prices go down, those people take advantage of the low prices to consolidate huge stocks of material, jacking up the prices. I think in one of those situations, novices were even used to get into aethershops with large sums of gold to buy out stocks!

It's been asked for before, and turned down because of coding concerns, but the best way to flat out solve this problem (imo) would be a shoplog for commodities. That way, you can tell who is making these bulk purchases and follow up accordingly. That's how the aethershop problem was solved, people started noticing trends in their logs, and correlating trends in a few shops. 
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    edited December 2012
    If someone was able to buy out 44k grain then yeah, I'd agree that it was likely the Trade Minister's fault if they're now short. Though if they had a massive stockpile, then 44k being bought from available stock might be nothing to them.

I keep a fairly tight hold of Hallifax's available stock since it's only rarely that we hold a village and we have to be more careful with reserves. But as far as I'm concerned, for day-to-day stuff, anything over 1,000 available units is asking for someone to come in and buy it out. If someone wants to make a bulk purchase, they just contact me and I make more available, or give the OK to an aide who can adjust stock for them if our timezones don't match up.

One thing I would love though is a shoplog for the Trade Ministry, so you can see who is buying what. After repeated buyouts of a commodity over a few days, trying to track down if those were 'honest' puchases, or if it was someone taking advantage of cheap prices to sell for profit can be a pain.

(Ah, ninja'd by Enyalida with regards shoplog)
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

It's very much Lusternia's version of capitalism. Orgs are the owners of  and investors in villages who are the sole creators of commodities. Then the company/org with the biggest stock in say..gems controls the gem market.   It's not a perfect comparison but whatevs. Especially since we can just murder the competition in Lustenria.

Either way, competitive pricing (if that even happened, as you said orgs hardly rely on the profits) isn't a bad thing.

• Why have 44k grain available to buy at the commodity shop? Aren't they held in reserves?
  • This would totally screw over any rogues. Like if I couldn`t purchase more than 20 coms a day then I`d stop playing Lusty altogether. I think that limiting rogues like this would make being a rogue even worse for those who prefer it, and that`s unnecessary.
  • edited December 2012
    Enyalida said:
    Except that it's.. not. A market with only six active participants, who aren't private and don't need to maintain profits to survive is not capitalism at all. Not that people thumbing the scale (on the org level) has been a major problem before, but undercutting just hurts everyone in the long run, devaluing services and goods. 

Look at the big Sakr/Someone-else-who-I-can't-remember debacle a few years (?) ago. One or two people undercutting everyone using profits from credit sales. Prices go down, those people take advantage of the low prices to consolidate huge stocks of material, jacking up the prices. I think in one of those situations, novices were even used to get into aethershops with large sums of gold to buy out stocks!

It's been asked for before, and turned down because of coding concerns, but the best way to flat out solve this problem (imo) would be a shoplog for commodities. That way, you can tell who is making these bulk purchases and follow up accordingly. That's how the aethershop problem was solved, people started noticing trends in their logs, and correlating trends in a few shops. 
    A shoplog would help, but how about just preventing foreigners from purchasing massive amounts of commodities and selling them? As for the stuff that happened for Sakr, the character made his profit off of commodities in the beginning, then jewelry, and commodities every now and then. The novices or rather group of 6 or 7 people I used then would be given money to purchase and a split of the earnings. The aethershop buying might have been esteem though, forgot about that.

But never the less. Everyone here so far is saying about keeping an eye out. What I am saying is have the defense already set to prevent people from making alts, like whoever made welath (wealth), to buy and sell commodities for a profit.

This defense would be aimed at level 1 citizens and foreigners. This way foreigners wouldn't come to Celest and buy out the rope at 8 gold, or give the gold to a level 1 celestian to buy at 6 gold, then resell the comms at 14 gold apiece for example. Also, you can't just make an alt and expect to buy god knows how many resources too.

Or you don't want to target level 1 citizens? make it a requirement to finish the collegium with honors to purchase comms.

But again, for one last time. Have a method for defenses. Because as diligent as you'd like yourself to be, a person can study the commodities, buyout during time nobody is awake, and resell. Your diligence wouldn't be at fault, it's just that nobody can be perfect.

@Fania How about if there would be a time limit? Like if you played for 20 hours or some thing?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Svorai said:

Why have 44k grain available to buy at the commodity shop? Aren't they held in reserves?

There is actually a cap on reserves. Past that cap, they are either all for sale, or someone has to specifically buy them and dump them in a shop.

That's not to say the reserve cap was met in this case, but for an org holding Estelbar as long as Seren has I would be very surprised if they had not long since exceeded it.
  • I think doing the time thing might be the best option here. Don't let them buy coms from these areas before they get out of novicehood or have played so many hours. I think a shop log would help for this, however wouldn't that be a massive log that would possible gum up the system a little more than necessary? Maybe a summarized thing would be in order. I do worry that this is going to end up turning the coms into a thing more like power... you can only take out extra if you put it in. Works great for power, but would really hurt the economy.   

I think some of this could be solved with a little more vigilance from the players themselves. I wonder if this happens more often when no one is around, or when people just aren't paying attention. The people who get scryed a lot are enemies, but maybe there should be more of an effort to watch the little ones. It could also benefit them as well... even if they are in enemied cities it wouldn't hurt to prevent them from being in dangerous places. Enemy them if they buy coms and wont give them back for a full refund. 
    Shoplogs for the commshops would be amazingly nice. Please add these.

Not like it is any more bloat than the many shoplogs for player shops (and would still only show up to six days back).

However, no time limits on buying from the commshops. Warrior novices need weapons, and sometimes feel satisfaction in acquiring the comms for their own weapons.
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with buying up massive amounts of commodities. If you put them for sale, you're really welcoming anyone to but them. If someone's buying you out and selling them to another org, that's the breaks of an economic system. If you're selling them for less than a village is buying, whose fault is that? What's actually wrong with that?
    Eventru said:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with buying up massive amounts of commodities. If you put them for sale, you're really welcoming anyone to but them. If someone's buying you out and selling them to another org, that's the breaks of an economic system. If you're selling them for less than a village is buying, whose fault is that? What's actually wrong with that?
    As a note, that's only valid when there is no cap on reserves; after a certain point, there is no "putting them for sale," they are just automatically going up for sale no matter what you do.  Either you or someone else has to buy them; you might be doing it to put them in storage in another location, but they're still being purchased because it's the only option available.
  • Out of curiosity, what is the upper limit on reserves?
  • Xenthos said:

Eventru said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying up massive amounts of commodities. If you put them for sale, you're really welcoming anyone to but them. If someone's buying you out and selling them to another org, that's the breaks of an economic system. If you're selling them for less than a village is buying, whose fault is that? What's actually wrong with that?

As a note, that's only valid when there is no cap on reserves; after a certain point, there is no "putting them for sale," they are just automatically going up for sale no matter what you do.  Either you or someone else has to buy them; you might be doing it to put them in storage in another location, but they're still being purchased because it's the only option available.

That's fine. There's literally no/zero/none purpose for having more than (or even at) the max storage.
  • Ssaliss said:
    Out of curiosity, what is the upper limit on reserves?
    60k per commodity.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
    Time to make your trade ministers do their research. You think real business don't keep a close eye on what costs their competitors are working with? I think any plans to limit novices from buying or making people take days to buy the comms for their armour etc is ridiculous, when the whole issue can be stamped out with Trade ministers and their aides doing their jobs in ensuring their pricing isn't set in a way that is asking to have them be screwed over. It's like stocking items in your shop for below cost and wondering why you fail to make a profit. Some things don't need coded fixes, they just need people to pay attention!

• edited December 2012
    @Lavinya, quote your post, because liking that once simply isn't enough.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    What, by sending novices into enemy nations to scope out their comm shop?
    edited December 2012
    It's called espionage? I think it's actually a very smart tactic. If you don't want to employ 'underhanded' means, that's all well and good, but don't complain if other less ethical orgs go ahead and exploit your lack of research.

• I like how there are people talking as though Lusternia's system is anything close to real "free trade".

It's a game, I frankly can't be bothered less if someone bankrupts an org's entire store of comms. All that'll happen to that org's tradespeople are that they will be forced to buy from more expensive village comm shops. Or their trade minister will jack up prices and they'll be forced to buy at that price or be inconvienienced trying to get comms because of some arbitrary limit imposed by the trade minister to correct the problem.

The only reason for orgs to want to keep an eye on their stores is precisely to convienience their own members. From an OOC point of view, the trade ministry is to help make the game more fun for trade people who craft in mass. Not to "engage in trade". You can make an argument that this helps the end user by allowing a variety of trade products available for purchase, making the game vibrant and all, but I'll not go that far. Making the life easier for people playing a game is all that matters to me, for the current trade ministry system.

No, economics doesn't come into the picture.

When other players abuse (yes, abuse, not use) this system that has little restrictions, they profit, at the cost of the convienience of other trade people. This is a problem in my eyes because a system designed to make things easy for people playing the game for the trades is being used against the very people it was designed for. When trade ministries have to spend time and effort protecting their stores, when the admin have to spend time and effort coding in mechanical restrictions, all that's happening is going to be detriment to the game's health. You can go further and say that introducing this kind of commercial logic to such a small scale game is going to harm the image of the game because it lowers the viability for newbie trades people trying to get into the market with small purchases and craftings. But I won't go so far. Making life harder for just the trade people is the problem that abuse of the system creates, is all I'm trying to say.

I don't own a shop, but if I ever do, you can be sure I'll be crying bloody murder when someone profits at the cost of my inconvienience.

Using novices to scout org comm shops and to buy out comms is not "espionage" or "economics" or the "forces of free market" or "underhanded" or anything else you want to paint it as. It's just being a jackass, period. When players come with the mentality that this is okay because the trade minister isn't 'protecting' their stoers, then we have a system that was designed to help trades people turned into a jackass shit-flinging contest. Some people call this a toxic game environment.

Yeah, this is why we can't have nice things.

• It took a lot of talk to convince the admins to even allow org comm shops to have shop policies. I'm pretty sure they want commodities to be able to travel about pretty easily. Even if you ban someone, they can still talk someone else into buy for them. I've had to fight this before, and trust me - it's all a test of endurance.

At this point, I can't be bothered to care much about lost stock when it's over the 60K cap. It's no big deal. I did everything I could to sweet talk our tailors into using up our large excess of cheap cloth and it didn't go anywhere. How can I be mad that it got bought up eventually?

If trade ministers really want to stop this sort of thing completely, they should just take the initiative and drop their "buy at" price to 1 for everything, or make it excessively low compared to what the price is generally game-wide (yes, I expect they'll need to do some research to figure out what those prices are).

There are some players out there who apparently have huge manses full of comm producing dingbat things (I don't), so I'm not sure how crippling this sort of thing is anymore, either.

Using novices to scout org comm shops and to buy out comms is not "espionage" or "economics" or the "forces of free market" or "underhanded" or anything else you want to paint it as. It's just being a jackass, period. When players come with the mentality that this is okay because the trade minister isn't 'protecting' their stoers, then we have a system that was designed to help trades people turned into a jackass shit-flinging contest. Some people call this a toxic game environment.

I disagree. I'm not saying it's totally ethical, but I think you're making a bigger deal out of it than what it really is. I own a shop. There was situations were people would buy all my stock, then sell it at a higher price from their stores. I thought it SUCKED big time. I wanted novices etc to be able to afford basic goods without paying a fortune for them, but I definitely didn't suddenly think the admin should start coding around it. Instead, I instigated an IC tradeban against the people that were using these practices, banned said people from my shop (and encouraged shop owners to do the same) and found the instances of it were drastically reduced.

And that's the crux of my point. Whether you like it or not/ think it's jackassery or not, it's something that is easily fixed IN GAME by having trade ministers that actively pay attention to their ministry! It doesn't need a big admin boot to the face or coded limits that will ultimately annoy a lot more people.

• Any shop, commodity or otherwise, should have their public sell prices set at whatever prices they want their goods to be bought at. You shouldn't get mad if you have stuff for sale at X gold and then people go and buy it for X gold. That's the point of having it up for sale to the public - so that the public can buy it and do whatever they want with it. Even if that's reselling it.

Now, if you want to have a more controlled economy where the Trade Minister subsidizes various tradeskills and stipulates that the discounted commodities can only be used for X, Y and Z, that's fine too. Just don't use the main, publicly available, bin-less commodity shop to do it. You should either arrange transfers directly from the Trade Ministry to the person receiving the subsidy or sell the discount commodities via a standard shop stocking the commodities in bins only available to approved citizen tradesmen.