Glomdoring fae .

Hello I was just wondering why the glomdoring fae are the cute and cuddly type . 

Some of the fae in the game were inspired by the irish versions . These were creatures that people actually feared . 
Some examples for the pooka 

We have a strange half horse have goat type thing that looks well cute . 
The pooka is a strange looking creature indeed, with four little goat legs and small goat horns on 
the head of a pixie. The body of the pooka is that of a tiny horse, complete with a swishing tail. 
The pixie face grins mischievously and the body seems to alter in size and shape while one's 
attention is drawn away.

The Púca the Legend from Ireland was a shape changing goblin (Púca being the Irish for goblin) it was the prefered steed of the Dullahan (thats headless horseman) yep that guy with a pumpkin on his head . although the original irish version had a turnip but then we went to america and pumpkins is easier to carve :D
This was a creature to be feared tricking you killing drunks and well being made from the shadows . 

The leprechan leipreachán. 
ok in the game is pictured as a friendly sort with red beard and green suit the typical Disney version  .
The Irish version well this was another evil guy that would rob you children and replace them with changelings(the babys of the fairy folk the would steal your baby and put a exact replica in its place ) . he would rob you of your gold and they never wore green they wore brown . 

The reason these creatures are small in ireland is because in Irish mythology the more evil you are the smaller you are our champions were huge. 

Again this is just a couple of examples that the people who came up with the skill set wicca took from Irish folklore except they made them cute and cuddly which they were not supposed to be . And personally think the original Irish fae would suit glomdoring rp a whole lot better. 

Comments

• I've always loved the original irish fae, but the fae in Lusternia, and a lot of other fiction that forms the bulk of pop culture about fae are the same fae with their irish counterparts only in name. You have to understand that while the current images and concepts of these creatures floating out there originated from the Irish mythology, they have been adapted and changed, and no longer resemble their original inspirations... nor is there actually any need for them to resemble said origins.

It'd be more enjoyable for you, I think, if you discard the baggage that comes with the names, and re-imagine the fae in Lusternia as their own original creatures in their own right.

• You also need to consider that those two are not glomdoring fae, but fae who happen to just be in glomdoring.
  • Also, most fae are shared between both Glomdoring and Serenwilde. While the above would suit Glomdoring, it wouldn't exactly mesh well with Serenwilde (who were the original fae summoners; the fae were designed with them in mind).
  • Ssaliss said:
    Also, most fae are shared between both Glomdoring and Serenwilde. While the above would suit Glomdoring, it wouldn't exactly mesh well with Serenwilde (who were the original fae summoners; the fae were designed with them in mind).
    That was the intention give Glomdoring there own fae evil little ones like the Irish ones in the examples above there's load of them to choose from. 

I never wanted or meant to suggest to turn all the fae into these kind of creatures but just for the shadowdancers . 
    Serenwilde could Keep the cute cuddly pop culture variety . 

I just thought it was strange for glomdoring to have the cute cuddle type is all. 

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lorok said:
    Ssaliss said:
    Also, most fae are shared between both Glomdoring and Serenwilde. While the above would suit Glomdoring, it wouldn't exactly mesh well with Serenwilde (who were the original fae summoners; the fae were designed with them in mind).
    That was the intention give Glomdoring there own fae evil little ones like the Irish ones in the examples above there's load of them to choose from. 

I never wanted or meant to suggest to turn all the fae into these kind of creatures but just for the shadowdancers . 

I just thought it was strange for glomdoring to have the cute cuddle type is all. 

I doubt this is a high priority item. Especially considering how long it's been that the SD fae have existed in the first place. Really not likely to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Lorok said:
    Ssaliss said:
    That was the intention give Glomdoring there own fae evil little ones like the Irish ones in the examples above there's load of them to choose from. .

If I understand things correctly, there would have to be a new Shadowdancer only skill which alters the description of the fae you have.  It would also require making a new fae with the same name but different description creature to fly around ethereal.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Or Serenwilde could not keep the cute cuddly pop pap creatures. Please.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:
    Or Serenwilde could not keep the cute cuddly pop pap creatures. Please.
    But, but.... pixies are cute!

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • @elanorwen Nope not high priority .
    @daganev Pretty much what im suggesting . 
    @enyalida what would you suggest for serenwilde just out of curiosity?
  • Im just waiting on Manteekan to return to the Basin and unleash his horde of sinister fae.
  • I think it's fine as it is. No one 'owning' fae except for barghests, Slaugh and redcaps for the Gloms and the Mother, Maiden and Crone for Serenwilde. Faethorn is hotly contested, so it makes sense both sides would have a fair chance.

Also, the banshee is not cute and cuddly.
    Retired.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    The fae Glomdoring summon, while mostly the same types, should have slightly different descriptions. It's nothing wildly different, but they shouldn't appear to be giggling or grinning. If they are, that's a bug!
  • That isn't really what someone would normally take from the OP. You don't mention you're even aware that serenwilde gets them and then don't mention how you would handle serenwilde.

Cute may be a characterization. They're fae, some would say they're looks are more to lull people in. Look at any early drawings they're not normally drawn as if they're out of some 2014 horror movie.

That said, if you want a different descriptions for glom and seren versions seems there's a couple possible ways that a code base should be able to do that. Others in the thread should consider that changing descriptions is really substantially different request then giving each org their own unique ents

• Nocht said:
    The fae Glomdoring summon, while mostly the same types, should have slightly different descriptions. It's nothing wildly different, but they shouldn't appear to be giggling or grinning. If they are, that's a bug!
    This. When summoned, they're 'bound in shadows' or some such, and look sort of sad from what I remember (or imagine, if I'm completely wrong).
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It's one of the aspects of Serenwilde, of which there are many.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It only fell away due to some players that wanted to play bouncy snuggly chirpy characters. Gave them a rep! I don't really get the same snuggly vibe from Seren anymore, not as much as I used to.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Nor do I, which is very good. Happy isn't bad, and we like happy, but the OMG SNUGGLE is frowned upon.

Regarding the fae, I always categorized fae in three ways: the Moon fae, the Night fae, and the neutral fae. The Moon fae are beautiful, befitting their Great Spirit. The Night fae are twisted and ugly, befitting theirs. For the rest, I never got an overly cute or an overly sinister feel from them, other than, in Lusternia mythology, the fae are "good", and so look more like "good" spirits than "bad" ones.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Try thinking of the neutral fae as manifestations of natural innocence in the world. They're more like living renditions - not necessarily personifications of natural aspects, but close - of specific actions, like a blossom unfolding for the first time (a la the sprite) or the crash of thunder in an otherwise clear day (the banshee). Some, like the leprechaun, represent the mischievous side of nature, like when a tree's roots extend just a hair's breadth too far and foul up a well, just so it can get a drink of water. 

The fae of Mother Moon and Mother Night are inexplicably connected to those nature spirits. They may be fractionally of Maeve's ilk, but there's no denying their true alliances. Who's going to tell a slaugh that she has to swear obeisance to the Maeve? Or tell one of the crones that the source of her wisdom comes from an insane queen? 

Anyway, those are just musings. This is an excellent topic for an in-game research project, and I hope someone takes it on! This is the sort of thing that would certainly spark interest in literary circles (I'm lookin' at you, Serenwilde!)!