New, hello!

So...first off...apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I just created Peridot last evening, and so far I have had a blast.  I played Achaea for quite some time, and decided now that I'm getting back into MUDS that I wanted to try Lusternia. I heard from a few RL friends that it's more RP-intensive -  and even though it's been less than a day, I've already enjoyed some interaction with other adventurers! Yay!

I come here not only to introduce myself (kind of), but to ask for you all - oh legendary wond'rous Lusternia players - to give me your best advice. Here are a few questions that I'm really interested in knowing the answers to:

I can easily see the similarities between Achaea  and Lusternia. But what things should I focus on learning, as far as the newbie curve goes, that differs vastly from Achaea?

How does one "jump into" roleplaying, here? How intensive can it be? Does everyone do a pretty decent job staying IC?

Give me some "survival tips", if you have any.

I'm still fleshing out Peridot, as a character. I'm absolutely in love with the idea of the Black Talon, and Glomdoring - but I am also wondering, is it possible to interact with many other factions/guilds (mainly, to maximize roleplaying experiences) without "getting in trouble," so to speak? Dot is quickly becoming very inquisitive, as well as very odd (I'm even toying with the idea of having her eat bugs for fun - she's going to be kind of a weirdo), and I just want to make sure that I respect the boundaries of the culture that I have placed her in.

Thanks!

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Welcome! Like Maligorn said, you jump into roleplay just by talking to anybody. Learn about custom emotes, targeted custom emotes, and prefacing your says to enrich your performance, and you'll find people reciprocating. You can always spin your interactions with foreigners as research on the enemy's culture, or something like that. If you get in trouble for talking to the wrong people, well, RP the consequences. That's fun too.

As for people staying IC... I don't know if I've ever experienced someone breaking character. OOC clans exist, and OOC tells happen, but they're usually well signified in some way or another. You're never going to see someone talking about the most recent episode of Walking Dead at the nexus. At least, I haven't seen that sort of thing. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited October 2014
    Maligorn said:
    Though there is a stigma against talking to the "other side", I would wholly, 100% encourage you to interact with anybody you feel is appropriate -- interesting RP comes from it. Gabriella(?) and Kethaera got away with it for IG years, while both being from Serenwilde and Glomdoring respectively  and they've had a lot of fun doing it, from what I hear. Right now the political climate in Lusternia is Celest-Serenwilde-Hallifax versus Magnagora-Glomdoring-Gaudiguch.

RP can be as intense or easy-going as you care to be. It all depends on the vibe you give out yourself.

The main difference between Achaea and Lusternia for newbies to grasp is the concept of Influencing, which is a more-than-viable and non-violent way of getting to demigod. Your lessons should either invest in Influence or your guild skills, with are PvE and PvP-centric, as well as some essentials here and there in the general skills like Planar and Discernment and Discipline.
    Thanks for the responses. Your mention of "influencing" is really intriguing! I'll definitely have to look more into that.

Daraius said:
    Welcome! Like Maligorn said, you jump into roleplay just by talking to anybody. Learn about custom emotes, targeted custom emotes, and prefacing your says to enrich your performance, and you'll find people reciprocating. You can always spin your interactions with foreigners as research on the enemy's culture, or something like that. If you get in trouble for talking to the wrong people, well, RP the consequences. That's fun too.

As for people staying IC... I don't know if I've ever experienced someone breaking character. OOC clans exist, and OOC tells happen, but they're usually well signified in some way or another. You're never going to see someone talking about the most recent episode of Walking Dead at the nexus. At least, I haven't seen that sort of thing. 
    Although OOCly, I am a little shy, I am going to try my best to jump into the fray as much as possible. Also encouraging to hear about how IC people are!

Another question I thought of. As I am familiar with the ways Achaea gets folks to jump into RP (events, mainly, as well as the various taverns and whatnot and changes to the EMOTE system and voices, etc), what sort of mechanics IG are used most, in terms of role-playing? 

...Are these forum avatars randomly generated? Because this expression already encapsulates Peridot's blossoming innocent-creepiness. Haha!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    RP happens all the time! Being In-Character is a requirement at all times here, so everything you do is considered RP. There's not usually something set apart, like an event, just for RPing.

But, if you want to make it clear that you are really serious about playing your character, the things Daraius mentioned will set you apart:

-Custom emotes (em <blah blah blah>)
    -Prefacing your SAYS (for example, "say (With a glint in his eyes) That sounds interesting!" comes out as "With a glint in his eyes, Everiine says, "That sounds interesting!""

Use these, and you'll find people taking you seriously and responding in kind.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    One of the few things Lusternia doesn't have that most of the other IRE games has is having says in emotes, like

Shaddus stares off into the distance. "Lisaera loved my Lord first, and then cast Him aside." he murmurs, clenching his fist tightly as he glowers. "He shall have His revenge on that fickle wench one way or another."

whereas Lusternia's says won't be coloured like that in emotes.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited October 2014
    Well, there's events here too. You'll see a worldwide effect, or gods will start yelling at each other. That generally means they're trying to get attention for something. Unveiling a new area or quest, continuing the year-long story arc that culminates with Ascension, etc. Honestly I'm not into that stuff. It doesn't appeal to me to be in a crowd of people talking over each other at whatever god or denizen is at the center of the event du jour. I'm content to read about it on the Events board and then put a Hallifaxian spin on it in my Year In Review.

As for the tools of RP, here are my favorites:

EMOTE (em) - Some advice I hear given a lot is to replace commonly used preset emotes with something more specific to your character. Make aliases so they're as easy to use as the presets. If I recall, Achaea's emote overhaul made performing really robust, but also really complex. Here, you can't turn the act of removing your shirt into a full blown emote, but the mechanics are easier to grasp. HELP EMOTING has the syntax for targeted emotes and prefatory emotes when you use GIVE command.

Prefatory phrases in says - Not as annoying and static as Achaea's voice mechanic. You just insert a phrase in parentheses after SAY or SAY TO <target>, and that phrase appears before your character's name.

SAY TO PRAV (dipping his muzzle politely) Prepare to be mauled, comrade.
    Becomes: Dipping his muzzle politely, Daraius Shevat says to Prav, "Prepare to be mauled, comrade."

SAY (speaking in a low growl) I love face paint.
    Becomes: Speaking in a low growl, Turnus says, "I love face paint."

Letters - Letters are awesome. Take the time to pick out the right stationery, make it look nice with a little ASCII border or even a simple line of underscores at the top and bottom. Letters are great for RPing with someone you don't see often, or for preparing someone for a possible interaction, opening a line of dialogue with an Ambassador, or making someone feel incredibly special. Consult your local bookbinder! (You might have noticed that you need a desk and a chair to write anything in Lusternia. It's kind of inconvenient, but we live with it)

Origami - great alternatives to messages if you don't want to leave a paper trail. Actionorigami can be inscribed with magic ink (SCRIBE ORIGAMI <origami> <message>) and deliver little messages to the recipient. They can even fit one item. Check it out:

OPEN ORIGAMI
    A howling wolf origami unfolds and sings to you, "May you be well, and your efforts fruitful!"
    A beefy bone shaped cookie falls out of a howling wolf origami and into your hands.
    A howling wolf origami flutters apart in wisps of vellum and disappears from your hands.

Anyone can inscribe origami, but only bookbinders can fold them.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."