What was the main race of each Magnagoran House before project Cosmic Hope?

edited November 2014 in Common Grounds
So in another thread, it was suggested that Orlach Mugwumps and assorted races were the main race of Magnagora before Project Cosmic Hope.

However, after reading through the histories, that seems unlikely to me.

The Great families of Magnagora all have a similar style last name, and the Mugwumps do not share that naming convention.
So what race were the great families such as n'Rotri or d'Murani?

Also, it can't be mugwumps, as the previous project Soulforce drove the mugwumps from Balach Swamp their ancestral homeland, meaning they were there and not in Magnagora.

Also, I remember Estarra once saying that the people of Magnagora were pretty vain aristocrats. Is there a missing god who might have sharded into a race that no longer exists?

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I honestly think it was the most mixed race city, period.

If you do Malacoda at all, you'll know n'Lochli was originally Loboshigaru. i'Xiia was mugwump at least, not sure about the others offhand with my limited knowledge of All The Mag Things.
  • edited November 2014
    Ah, so each house was a different race. That makes sense.  It would explain the unique politics of the families actually.  So I'm changing the question..
    What was the race of each house in Magnagora ? :)

From the lack of comments in the histories, I also suspect that many were Merian.
  • edited November 2014
    Daganev said:
    Is this link official lore?

http://magnagoranhp.blogspot.co.il/
    Interesting, I never knew this was around. Im not certain if we can call it 'official'. Who wrote these anyway? I cant see an author.

Edit: Ah here it is, some individual called Breuul.
  • Arcanis said:
    Daganev said:
    Is this link official lore?

http://magnagoranhp.blogspot.co.il/
    Interesting, I never knew this was around. Im not certain if we can call it 'official'. Who wrote these anyway? I cant see an author.

Edit: Ah here it is, some individual called Breuul.
    If they ended up in Magnagoran libraries, I would call them "semi-official"
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    That falls into the category of "We've made it official until the Admin tell us otherwise", which is my favorite form of RP.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    That falls into the category of "We've made it official until the Admin tell us otherwise", which is my favorite form of RP.
    So those are books in Magnagora?  The website is from 2007 and I had never heard of it before.
  • Documents from the Presidio are tucked away a couple places within Magnagora, and are admin-written. The rest are absent to the best of my knowledge.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I'll also note that in the earlier writing on that site, they have a human character written up as existing pre-taint, so it might have been developed by a non-admin or someone without all the facts.

Another small racial reveal: during the Time Dame events, when we had people from the times of the Holy Empire running around, all the untainted geomancers in the Blasted Lands were hippie-taurians.

• Vivet said:
    I'll also note that in the earlier writing on that site, they have a human character written up as existing pre-taint, so it might have been developed by a non-admin or someone without all the facts.

Another small racial reveal: during the Time Dame events, when we had people from the times of the Holy Empire running around, all the untainted geomancers in the Blasted Lands were hippie-taurians.

That's so weird, as the ur'guard city guards are Tuarians.  But if each guild and house had a set race, that would make it easy to divy out the 8 currently unclaimed races.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    The ur'guard in pretaint times was Orchlach only, not Taurian. The fact that the guards now are taurian is just incidental.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Also, taurians were not supposed to gather in large groups, so I'm guessing they'd be a pretty small minority, too small to make up a decent chunk of a house or guild.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Daganev said:
    Everiine said:
    So those are books in Magnagora?  The website is from 2007 and I had never heard of it before.
    If they're not in Magnagora, then some should be written! Maybe not from the website, since that's clearly someone's work, but someone needs to make stuff up and write it down.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited November 2014
    It's probably best if BEFORE going the make stuff up path you try asking NPCs that seem relevant IG (assuming you have an active patron). It's entirely possible some of the lore has been mapped out and simply is sitting on a wiki but not really made public, it's also possibly revealed in a quest.

The make stuff up part should come in to compliment what you find out from NPCs so that there's less a chance of it clashing with "The Vision", which will save both admin and players a lot of headache.

Edit: Nothing wrong with making up IG lore, sometimes the admin even pick it up and make it official lore. But don't start making stuff up without first checking a) what's available through quests and b) at least trying to get some info from an NPC as the admin might already have something in mind. After that let your imagination go wild! Within reason of course.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
    Of course, do your research first. Always be prepared!

• Vivet said:

I am so sad that I missed this event :(
  • Magnagora, since even before my time, has asserted it was founded by orclachi, taurian, and mugwumpi peoples, but has always been a cosmopolitan place of many races.  The viscanti are considered the product of good breeding and I suspect the first Warlord of Magnagora, Saverian n'Kylbar I, was himself one. With the coming of the blessed Taint, and the return of the Pantheon, quite naturally some races were ostracized.  Any merian sea dogs would have been expelled long before, of course, being considered alien combatants due the conflict with New Celest.
    </RANT>
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    See, n'lochli was Lobo's. People wonder why I'm sweet on n'lochli girls, eh @Nymerya and @Akyaevin
  • Daganev said:
    So in another thread, it was suggested that Orlach Mugwumps and assorted races were the main race of Magnagora before Project Cosmic Hope.

However, after reading through the histories, that seems unlikely to me.

The Great families of Magnagora all have a similar style last name, and the Mugwumps do not share that naming convention.
    So what race were the great families such as n'Rotri or d'Murani?

Also, it can't be mugwumps, as the previous project Soulforce drove the mugwumps from Balach Swamp their ancestral homeland, meaning they were there and not in Magnagora.

Also, I remember Estarra once saying that the people of Magnagora were pretty vain aristocrats. Is there a missing god who might have sharded into a race that no longer exists?

HELP MUGWUMP reports the Ballach was their homeland and many (most?) migrated to the cities with their founding.  The Book of Meridian implies they were quite metropolitan as well.  Whatever settlement that was in Ballach may be gone, but the documentation seems to support the culture that muwgumps were founders of Magnagora.

As for the founding of the Great Houses? You'll have to directly interview those approved as Historical to get an answer.
    </RANT>
  • After Ghalphalshi (the Balach city) was destroyed, a lot of mugwumps migrated to either Hallifax or Magnagora, MAINLY to Magnagora, because it was geographically the closest thing that wasn't Celest.

The ones that didn't go into the i'Xiia asylum, anyway..
  • The settlement in the Balach Swamps was called Ghalphalshi. The edifice of power there was The Bubbling Cauldron (Yes, the same one that raised Vestera).

Ghalphalshi was destroyed when the Holy Celestine Empire first attempted to use the Soul Forge. Any mugwumps who were in Ghalphalshi at the time of its destruction were either killed or driven insane. The mugwump family of i'Xiia from Magnagora rounded up their maddened kin and housed them in the i'Xiia Asylum, hoping to cure them of their soulless-induced insanity.

There's a lot more, I could go on for some time... but Mugwumps were definitely one of the races that helped create Magnagora as we know it today.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Marcella said:
    After Ghalphalshi (the Balach city) was destroyed, a lot of mugwumps migrated to either Hallifax or Magnagora, MAINLY to Magnagora, because it was geographically the closest thing that wasn't Celest.

For those of us who want to read up on that, what's the source for them migrating to Hallifax?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I've never seen any writings about them migrating to Hallifax. From what I've read, it was Serenwilde (the Fyrgenwigs) and Magnagora (the i'Xiia)
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • I stand corrected, I just figured scientists+hallifax.
  • Are you sure i'Xiia were founded by Mugwumps?  Their name is so different from all other mugwump family names.  Not saying they weren't just trying to understand that difference.

• Daganev said:
    Are you sure i'Xiia were founded by Mugwumps?  Their name is so different from all other mugwump family names.  Not saying they weren't just trying to understand that difference.
    Yes, we are quite sure.  You can find out for yourself in the Bonehoard, some scraps of documentation within the Presidio of the Damned, and the Elemental within the Asylum.  All are in agreement.
    </RANT>
  • Ok, I'm really curious which culture created the five houses that enabled them to be each of a different race but similar language now...
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Cityspeak.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Everyone spoke whatever the accepted imperial tongue was, clearly!
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."